BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No... 1 larger than 7/16 is 15/32.

We use metric on some projects, but its more labor intensive due to all the converting and double checking. Line said above, we machine in .001's, even if the print is metric.

Personally, I'm a fan of SAE.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Metric is awesome but sae is here to stay.  We machine in thousandths here even if it's a metric part.

Metric is much simpler, know what's one bigger than a 12mm wrench?  Know what's one bigger than a 7/16s?
3/4"
No. One larger than 7/16 is 8/16 or 1/2".

We use metric on some projects, but its more labor intensive due to all the converting and double checking. Line said above, we machine in .001's, even if the print is metric.

Sure, in some toolboxes.  That's what's so fucking stupid about SAE, we use units of an inch, quarter inch, eighth inch, sixteenth of an inch.  And that's just in a boring fucking toolbox, not some machinist millionth of an inch stupidity. Switching units of measure between half a dozen of them for every bolt and screw is fucking retarded.  Metric makes more sense.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Nazi Germany used the metric system.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Metric is awesome but sae is here to stay.  We machine in thousandths here even if it's a metric part.

Metric is much simpler, know what's one bigger than a 12mm wrench?  Know what's one bigger than a 7/16s?
3/4"
No. One larger than 7/16 is 8/16 or 1/2".

Dude, no normal person has a 15/32 wrench.  If you're going to be that pedantic why not slice it into 64s or 128ths?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]
It ain't metri-fuck-cation.  It's fucking metrication.  

Make units of time, units of degrees and global position handily divisible by 10, or GTFO.

But, muh sekints tho.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#5]
The measurement overlords will never let us switch. There is too much money to be made...go buy two sets of wrenches please.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I already use enough of both systems working on my American vehicles.

I can visualize SAE measurements, I can't with metric.

You know who used the metric system? Communists. Don't be a commie.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I hate surveying in metric .
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn those pesky multiples of ten.

16, 32, 64 -- FTW
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The "foot" is a useful length, centimeter is too small and meter is too big.
View Quote
Practically speaking, yes.  Strictly speaking, you *could* use decimeters.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Metric is for simpletons. 
View Quote
This may be a long shot at some vague implied sense of self-aggrandizement, but I've always contended that one need be more intelligent to navigate standard.

I rather enjoy fractions and decimal equivalents, inches to miles conversions... oh, the list goes on 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#13]
what about pressure?

Why use bar? 0-1.4 bar when you could use a more precise range of 0-20 psi
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Metric sucks.  I won't use it unless I have to.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LOL

We accepted it, not saying I like it but we were smart enough to adopt to it.

Not so much south of the border apparently.

View Quote
Funny thing about that. Buildings in Canada are still constructed using feet, inches and cubic yards. Wire is still American Wire Gauge. Walls are framed 16" or 24" on center, amd sheet goods are still based on 4x8 sheets. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

And I cant believe that 49% of the people that answered this pole are commies
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Commies?    COMMIES?

How very dare you.....

It's third world shitholers like you Septics that are holding back human development don't you know.  It's only you guys, Liberia and Burma that still officially hold the Imperial system exclusively.

Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#18]
The world over, the length of ones dick is expressed in inches.  Why?  'Merica, that's why.

The US was wise not to let her competitors slow her along the way to greatness with the adoption of some other, arbitrarialy defined units of measure.  Units of measure might be styled for users' convenience, but every unit of measure is arbitrary.  I've tried to think of a unit of physical measure not arbitrarliy defined, but can't.

Seriously: why not define the arc measure of a circle as 100 or 1000 -whatevers?  Why not define the length of one day in 100 whatevers?  The answer to those questions is the logic behind why the US didn't bother adopting some other arbitrarly defined units of measure.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I always find myself trying to convert metric units to our units for comparison.  I haven't yet gotten to the point that I intuitively know that 37 centimeters equals X inches.   I am guessing it is 11 inches or so....about a little more than a third of a meter....

My point is it would be nice if I automatically knew what the metric equivalent was without having to do all those mental gymnastics.
View Quote
I did purchasing in Spain for the Marine Corps.  I simply forgot about inches and feet for projects I was putting up for bids. Threw out my sae tape measure and used a metric one. Once you stop trying to convert it it is simple.  

As I learned Spanish at the same time if speaking Spanish I use metric. Guy at the Taco Truck asked where I was from and told him 90 km from here to the east.  He laughed and asked why I didn't use miles. I simply never learned the words as they weren't used in Spain.

A two liter hug of milk is close enough to a half gallon as to be no difference at all. We already drink beer in 33cl containers anyhow. A dozen eggs is a dozen eggs.

To get proficient at it you stop trying to convert and just go with it.  

The new LT who signed off on my paperwork was confused about the measurements on the contract for bars on the windows. I told him I just used a metric tape measure and I didn't really know how many feet and inches it was. The First Sergeant who was s crusty old bastard told the LT that the contractors didn't care how many Argents (old French measure of distance still used on continental horse tracks) it was from the shop to the base either.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

The rod on the left is metric. That shit for surveying is an abomination .

Rod on the right is the correct way
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I did purchasing in Spain for the Marine Corps.  I simply forgot about inches and feet for projects I was putting up for bids. Threw out my sae tape measure and used a metric one. Once you stop trying to convert it it is simple.  

As I learned Spanish at the same time if speaking Spanish I use metric. Guy at the Taco Truck asked where I was from and told him 90 km from here to the east.  He laughed and asked why I didn't use miles. I simply never learned the words as they weren't used in Spain.

A two liter hug of milk is close enough to a half gallon as to be no difference at all. We already drink beer in 33cl containers anyhow. A dozen eggs is a dozen eggs.

The new LT who signed off on my paperwork was confused about the measurements on the contract for bars on the windows. I told him I just used a metric tape measure and I didn't really know how many feet and inches it was. The First Sergeant who was s crusty old bastard told the LT that the contractors didn't care how many Argents (old French measure of distance still used on continental horse tracks) it was from the shop to the base either.
View Quote
Eggs here are ten packs, not dozens.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm pro metric, any measurement system that goes down to a micron (one thousandth of a millimeter) and divisible by 10 has got to be easier to grasp and work with than the same measurement in SAE. Example; A micron is one thousandth of a millimeter or 0.001 mm, or in SAE about 0.000039 inch.

0.000039 inch ? Absurd at best.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Eggs in Spain at the neighborhood markets were actually sold loose. You asked for however many and he put them in a plastic bag.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Celsius is arguably the best part of the metric system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck metric, and fuck Celsius.

Celsius is arguably the best part of the metric system.
It's the worst part.  It's absolute shit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm in favor of it, but I work with it every day. I wish food boxes or recipes would list metric measurements as well.

It just makes sense. 1 mL = 1 cc = 1 g

After almost 25 years in a lab, I know what 1L or 50 mL looks like.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

Europe as well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Same here.

Europe as well.
View Quote
Yuropean Metric eggs are also cubicles, not round like the Imperial eggs in America.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Bar
View Quote
Nothing like using bar for a lot of things. I don't care what system you're using; it's nice to avoid decimals when possible. You can round to the nearest PSI quite easily. The nearest bar, well, that's a different story. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's actually one of the best reasons I've seen.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well WTF is 285?!

All I'm saying is L x W x H makes the most sense when dealing with dimensions and such. At least for us Americans anyways. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the surface but is 75% of 285 hard to understand?  It's how tall the sidewall is.  I do understand the frustration though.  
Well WTF is 285?!

All I'm saying is L x W x H makes the most sense when dealing with dimensions and such. At least for us Americans anyways. 
285 millimeters, or 11.22 inches.
(Divide 285 by 25.4 (mm/inch)).
11.22 inches wide by 32.83 inches tall (for a 16 inch wheel)
11.22*.75*2+16=32.83
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And it's an absolutely nonsensical reason for anyone used to centimeters. You guys say this due to lack of familiarity.

I am 183 cm tall. Anyone familiar with that can quickly grasp it, despite the size of the number. It's just short of two decimeters short of 2 meters. 30 more than 1.5 meters, etc. 2 meters is a tall dude. 10 centimeters is roughly a man's fist.

Meanwhile, feet and inches often causes problems. I've seen a lot of Americans have problems converting 6 ft to 72 inches. And, an inch is too large of a unit for precise height measurement, so a lot of folks do the "half inch" thing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The biggest problem in SAE is multiple units of non-base-10 makes things a real fucking headache.  WHY do people use feet-inches, instead of decimal feet.  Same for weights.  Oh your AR weights 7lbs 5 1/2 oz.  Why not just say 7.4 lbs??

structural detailing is the worst, spot checking to make sure dimensions add up is a unnessisary chore...

add 4' 11 7/16" + 1 4 3/4" + 11 13/32" + 13/32".  Does that equal 6' 7 1/2" OAL?  
or, if it had been done in metric,
add 1434mm + 245mm + 23mm + 125mm  Does that equal 2032mm OAL?  Much easier to check right?

(numbers made up, but which one of these is more likely to be entered incorrectly in your calculator)

Seems what really holds us up is construction and building industries.  BUT MUH 16" O.C.   jesus just do 40 or 40.5cm close enough

and to be fair, alot of supposedly metric countries are NOT 100%.  They still use miles and mph in the UK for road, and I will say that Fahrenheit does work as a nice 0-100 scale for  the weather, 0= really cold and 100 = really hot, any deviations <0 or >100 = off the scale deadly, avoid.
View Quote
In hydrology I use decimal feet (engineers scale) for depth to water.  The feet are divided into tenths and hundredths.

We also use the the same units for discharge measurements, in ft and tenths to get a discharge in CFS (cubic feet per second - approx 448.8 gpm)

Of course we then measure the temperature in centigrade
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And it's an absolutely nonsensical reason for anyone used to centimeters. You guys say this due to lack of familiarity.

I am 183 cm tall. Anyone familiar with that can quickly grasp it, despite the size of the number. It's just short of two decimeters short of 2 meters. 30 more than 1.5 meters, etc. 2 meters is a tall dude. 10 centimeters is roughly a man's fist.

Meanwhile, feet and inches often causes problems. I've seen a lot of Americans have problems converting 6 ft to 72 inches. And, an inch is two large of a unit for precise height measurement, so a lot of folks do the "half inch" thing.
View Quote
I can use either system. Familiarity does come into play, and in that regard you are correct. However, that does not address the fact that Celsius is too coarse, 1 BAR is too large for every day calculations, etc., etc. Much of the Imperial system was derived from convenience or necessity when working with certain materials and products. Ever cut a pizza into 10 equal slices? We've left the time and date alone too.

I am not joking when I say that metric is for simpletons. I've known many people who've grown up with the Imperial system work with metric easily. I've seen some of the best and brightest from Germany struggle after over a year in country trying to determine how large a 12oz steak is. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

In hydrology I use decimal feet (engineers scale) for depth to water.  The feet are divided into tenths and hundredths.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QDbKqJztFo4/hqdefault.jpg

We also use the the same units for discharge measurements, in ft and tenths to get a discharge in CFS (cubic feet per second - approx 448.8 gpm)

Of course we then measure the temperature in centigrade
View Quote
Engineer scale.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The world over, the length of ones dick is expressed in inches.  Why?  'Merica, that's why.

The US was wise not to let her competitors slow her along the way to greatness with the adoption of some other, arbitrarialy defined units of measure.  Units of measure might be styled for users' convenience, but every unit of measure is arbitrary.  I've tried to think of a unit of physical measure not arbitrarliy defined, but can't.

Seriously: why not define the arc measure of a circle as 100 or 1000 -whatevers?  Why not define the length of one day in 100 whatevers?  The answer to those questions is the logic behind why the US didn't bother adopting some other arbitrarly defined units of measure.
View Quote
Really ? I always thought my dick was 28 centimeters.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Do you honestly think the USA couldn't have made it to the Moon if it used the metric system???? 
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The decimeter doesn't exist?
View Quote
The decimeter exists because "deci-" is a metric modifier and "-meter" is a base dimension of measurement.  Decimeter, decigram and deciliter are all valid.  And yes, this includes the decibel.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Personally, I think we should go back to the cubit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For those of you that manage to read this far before posting -

There is no such measurement system as SAE.  The SAE sets down some standards for thread dimensions and similar matters.  It does not define a system of measures, the SAE uses the US Customary System, which is similar to the Imperial System of measures, and simultaneously, the SI system of measure.
View Quote
You're attempting to reason with people who prefer a system because it's base 10. That means that they can get lucky and arrive at a correct answer if they just move the decimal point one way or another. I fear that your argument will fall on deaf ears.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The problem has nothing to do with the base of the counting system.

I can specify a weight as 0.001 pounds-force, or as 0.001 Newtons.  Same with dimensions, 13.753 meters, 13.753 yards.

The key there is understanding the definitions of those four measures.  Want to talk about milli-inches?  We can do that, too.
"Milli" has a definition separate from an SI measurement system.
View Quote
I wish you well in your quest to educate the simpletons. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Duh. 8/16"

Eta...damn
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#45]
So do they sell eggs in 10 packs in metric countries?  Beer in 10 packs?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm pro metric, any measurement system that goes down to a micron (one thousandth of a millimeter) and divisible by 10 has got to be easier to grasp and work with than the same measurement in SAE. Example; A micron is one thousandth of a millimeter or 0.001 mm, or in SAE about 0.000039 inch.

0.000039 inch ? Absurd at best.
View Quote
Almost half a tenth.

Anybody who matters knows what that is.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Same here.

Europe as well.
View Quote
That's as bad as the 8 buns and 10 dogs standard packaging.

I do 3 egg omelets. So, what am I supposed to do with the extra egg?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Meanwhile, feet and inches often causes problems. I've seen a lot of Americans have problems converting 6 ft to 72 inches. And, an inch is two large of a unit for precise height measurement, so a lot of folks do the "half inch" thing.
View Quote
All the more reason to continue to use inches/feet/yards. Keep the stupid ones down. Life's already too easy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Metric is absolutely the way to go.  The problem comes from having our feet in both systems.  One or the other please.

Metric makes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more sense.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

See my edit. The decimeter is trash and nobody uses it
View Quote
Yeah I remember learning that crap in school.  When I got to college it was no where to be seen.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top