Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2017 7:04:46 PM EDT
Looks like they finally made the Ratweiler in INFI, but I'm not sure if it's worth $~375 shipped.

Kind of regret not picking up a LGBT blade from them when they were available.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

I have about $5k in infi and love every piece I have.

I'm still adding more to my busse collection.

They haven't made a knife I don't like.

Inb4 herp derp I only spent $5 on knives because steel is steel.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like them and want one, but I just can't seem to justify spending $400 or more on a knife. This is odd, too, because I have no trouble dropping 1.5-2k on 1911s. I strongly suspect that I will eventually break down and buy one, and hang it off of my battle belt or something.

What I wonder is how their Swamp Rat line compares to the actual Busse knives, and what difference in quality actually exists. From what I understand, SR101 is great steel.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#4]
If you've held one you've seen the quality. $375 is a good deal for how nice they are. Custom knives can get crazy in price and this one is just as good as the one offs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#5]
No, good stuff but fanboyism has driven their prices to crazy town. It's been a while but I remember another blade maker saying their steel is whatever is used on dozer blades, he wasn't knocking them just saying it's not as special as their hype makes it out to be. They do a good job with heat treat to get the most out of it though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
its just a sharp thing

if I'm going to spend that much money, ill buy a custom Turley, Sargent Edged Tools, etc
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I own 3 Bussekin and they are nice knives.  Are they worth 2-3X an Esse in performance?  Probably not.

The Ratweiler is a nice design.  It's a big knife though and while good for camp chores a smaller blade like the Ratmandu is more versatile.

Don't forget that Busse knives do not come with a sheath.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope. They have some nice designs and some designs that would be nice if they weren't so thick but INFI isn't anything special.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
They have done an amazing job of marketing. Hype build ups, limited releases and the cult following have pushed the demand to far exceed the supply. They make it seem like they are doing you a favor by letting you spend $400 on one of their knives. I don't own one and never would pay what they are going for but I do admire their business model.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there a Gary version?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#11]
How do they compare to Treeman combat knives? I want a fixed blade for a gift for my son who's going to be 18 soon. He has a few folders so he's good there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]
They had grab bags available last week, $250 for a guaranteed at least $350 worth of knives, or a $500 bag guaranteed to be worth at least $800.

I jumped on one of the $250 ones. If I don't like the knives, they'll be hitting the EE.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#13]
SR101 on the Bussekin is a nice steel and Busse does a good heat treat.  They will take a very nice edge that does outlast 1095.  Busse will stand behind their product but the same can be said of Esse.

I will say this about Busse's - if you don't like it you can easily sell it for what you paid or more if it's unused down the road.  Busse's keep their value.

I use mine and enjoy them but you should buy from a good maker and get the knife that meets your needs.  They are tools.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#14]
another thing youre paying for is the busse warranty which is quite possibly the best warranty/customer service in the world out of any company.

accidentally dropped your knife into a giant metal trash destroyer? busse has you covered.

mistakenly cut the knife in half with a chopsaw instead of whatever else you were cutting? busse has you covered.

guy over on bladeforums ran his over with a lawnmower and chewed his knife up. busse sent him a new one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Busse

Over rated... Over priced... Safe queens.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#16]
No. Not since ESEE came along.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. Not since ESEE came along.
View Quote
they arent even remotely comparable.

thats like comparing knights armament and radical firearms.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes. I abuse some of mine and they just don't get dull or break.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They had grab bags available last week, $250 for a guaranteed at least $350 worth of knives, or a $500 bag guaranteed to be worth at least $800.

I jumped on one of the $250 ones. If I don't like the knives, they'll be hitting the EE.
View Quote
I grabbed a $500 bag. Awaiting shipment.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

they arent even remotely comparable.

thats like comparing knights armament and radical firearms.
View Quote
Dude...whatever. Keep thinking that. Are you a dealer BTW? Do you have anything to do with Busse or draw a paycheck from them?

Oh...that wonderful waranty you were just crowing about. Doesn't ESEE have the exact 'no fault' we don't GAF how you tore it up, we're gonna replace it warranty?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#23]
>90% of those I have seen are pure Safe Queens.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Dude...whatever. Keep thinking that. Are you a dealer BTW? Do you have anything to do with Busse or draw a paycheck from them?

Oh...that wonderful waranty you were just crowing about. Doesn't ESEE have the exact 'no fault' we don't GAF how you tore it up, we're gonna replace it warranty?
View Quote
with the amount of busse knives i have i should probably be considered a dealer but no i dont make any money from them. Im just someone that realizes that not all knives are created equal.

1095 mass produced esee knives will never be close to busse. esee makes really good knives as well dont get me wrong but busse takes it to a level way beyond esee.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes
Had one piece of infi long ago. I miss it, need to replace it
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Commercial 1095 knives offer 90% of the performance of Busse knives. Is that 10% worth 3-400% price increase? In the end, the gross majority of Busse knives are safequeens because they are too expensive to allow most mentally to beat the shit out of them. I know because I collect various knives and have many users and some safequeens.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#27]
no safe queens here

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

with the amount of busse knives i have i should probably be considered a dealer but no i dont make any money from them. Im just someone that realizes that not all knives are created equal.

1095 mass produced esee knives will never be close to busse. esee makes really good knives as well dont get me wrong but busse takes it to a level way beyond esee.
View Quote
Fair enough. You're a fan. I get tired of arguing with shills selling a product on here. Don't get me started on the shills.

You still didn't acknowledge they have essentially the same warranty however.

In the end, I have ESEE because I plan on using them, not massaging them while I hold my wiener. Err...massaging my wiener while I hold them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
no safe queens here

http://i.imgur.com/gdtaaBo.jpg?1
View Quote
A $35 hatchet would do that better and weigh less.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fair enough. You're a fan. I get tired of arguing with shills selling a product on here. Don't get me started on the shills.

You still didn't acknowledge they have essentially the same warranty however.

In the end, I have ESEE because I plan on using them, not massaging them while I hold my wiener. Err...massaging my wiener while I hold them.
View Quote
ive heard esee has a really awesome warranty as well but have no experience with it as i havent broken an esee yet.

i like to keep knives away from me when touching myself. it seems a lot safer that way lol.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
no safe queens here

http://i.imgur.com/gdtaaBo.jpg?1
View Quote
You know an axe works better and a chainsaw even more betterer?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A $35 hatchet would do that better and weigh less.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You know an axe works better and a chainsaw even more betterer?
View Quote
dont get me started on my axe collection
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I've owned quite a few busse knives years ago.  From the choppers to the smaller edc blades.  They weren't worth it to me.

The factory edges were terrible.  Design wasn't anything special. A thick slab of steel, two slabs of micarta, and a painted finish.

The collector market is always good for them.  I remember the hoganza sales on bladeforum were nuts.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#35]
To me, no.  To you, sure?  I do like high end folders though.  For outdoor work knives, ESEE is about as high end as I'll go.  But to each their own.  Hell, my rtak2 has held up to a ton of abuse.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought 2 Busse's years ago because I wanted to see what all the hype was about.

They are nice.  Really nice.  So nice that I decided someone else should own them, and I sold them for what I paid, or more, on egay.

Then I took the same money and bought 4 or 5 Esse's.  Then I abused the hell out of them -- ESPECIALLY the Junglas that I baton the f' out of wood with.  It splits wood like butter, holds an edge just fine, and doesn't give me anxiety that I'm beating the crap out of a too expensive blade.

I love my Esse's and use them like the tools they are.   I rather use a tool than be a tool.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Good knives, hold their value (or increase), so yes if you look at it from that standpoint.

Now, is anything about them worth that cost? No, it's limited run, restricted access Gucci knives so the value is in that as much as in the quality of the knives. They're good pieces, they have a great warranty, you probably can sell them for what you have in them.

So? Worth it?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Design wasn't anything special. A thick slab of steel, two slabs of micarta, and a painted finish.
View Quote
I'd never heard of them before today. I like sharp things, so I googled and looked - the above is what I concluded from their website
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I bought 2 Busse's years ago because I wanted to see what all the hype was about.

They are nice.  Really nice.  So nice that I decided someone else should own them, and I sold them for what I paid, or more, on egay.

Then I took the same money and bought 4 or 5 Esse's.  Then I abused the hell out of them -- ESPECIALLY the Junglas that I baton the f' out of wood with.  It splits wood like butter, holds an edge just fine, and doesn't give me anxiety that I'm beating the crap out of a too expensive blade.

I love my Esse's and use them like the tools they are.   I rather use a tool than be a tool.
View Quote
junglas is probably the best large production blade in existence

shits on ontario's whatever and kabar's bgay series imho
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a couple Bussekin and knives and they are definitely built to be beat on.

Iike them
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I really like them and want one, but I just can't seem to justify spending $400 or more on a knife. This is odd, too, because I have no trouble dropping 1.5-2k on 1911s. I strongly suspect that I will eventually break down and buy one, and hang it off of my battle belt or something.

What I wonder is how their Swamp Rat line compares to the actual Busse knives, and what difference in quality actually exists. From what I understand, SR101 is great steel.
View Quote
I have 3 swamp rats. Had 4 but sold the battlerat. The camp tramp kind of dissapointed me when the edge chipped while batoning through wood.

The smaller howling rat and bandicoot are among my favorite fixies. I took the coating off the howler for a cool unrefined look. Love the handles and the weight is nice too.

Once you go convex you don't go back. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have 3 swamp rats. Had 4 but sold the battlerat. The camp tramp kind of dissapointed me when the edge chipped while batoning through wood.

The smaller howling rat and bandicoot are among my favorite fixies. I took the coating off the howler for a cool unrefined look. Love the handles and the weight is nice too.

Once you go convex you don't go back. 
View Quote
I'm debating reprofiling the convex off my Bussekins for testing
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:08:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Worth every penny.  Hands down the best warranty in the industry.  I have several and use every one of them on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender blade?   WTF?????
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a few Bussekins. My favorite is a Ratmandu made from Infi  steel. I had one of the first Busse TGLB-Mini , but sold it to fund nightvision. Only one I regret selling. 
When you set up right next to a Busse dealer at every gun show you end up with plenty of knives.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm debating reprofiling the convex off my Bussekins for testing
View Quote
Once it's gone it's going to be hard to get back.

I also have and love bark river, I think they do a little bit better job convexing that edge. When I hunted I could dress out several large dirty animals with only a few swipes on a strop.

Always shaving sharp. I think the trick is to not let the get dull in the first place which is crazy easy.

I keep saying I'm going to get a belt sander for my many convex edged knives axes and hatchets but I can't decide between the harbour freight one and the appropriate belts or the ones dedicated for knives.

I haven't had so much trouble keeping them sharp that I've felt the need to make the decision yet I guess. Stropping is pretty easy and a few bars of compound last forever. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender blade?   WTF?????
View Quote
I was wondering about that myself. 

What's the scoop? Is that really what it is?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:45:35 PM EDT
[#49]
TGLB.  It stands for Team Gemini Light Brigade.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
TGLB.  It stands for Team Gemini Light Brigade.
View Quote
I have one of the highly sought after factory polished versions. It would be one of the last things I ever sold. My custom shop SFNO would be there with it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top