Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had my old Ultramarines sitting around for a while now waiting for a repaint, the old Rhinos look pretty dated Still have a proper pewter Dreadnought too

What's the deal with the unboxed sprues on ebay? Are they legit, or bootleg recasts? Pretty tempting to try and save a few bucks for a hobby.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Some primed Space Hulk termies, a primed objective and a dreadnaught...

Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had my old Ultramarines sitting around for a while now waiting for a repaint, the old Rhinos look pretty dated Still have a proper pewter Dreadnought too

What's the deal with the unboxed sprues on ebay? Are they legit, or bootleg recasts? Pretty tempting to try and save a few bucks for a hobby.
View Quote
The plastic ones shipping from USA and UK are legit.  Resin from Russia or China tends to be recast.

Most of my armies are from unboxed ebay sprues.

Unboxed they fit in a priority mail envelope and ship cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Some primed Space Hulk termies, a primed objective and a dreadnaught...

https://i.imgur.com/zUCrzS8.jpg?1
View Quote
I did some assembling and priming as well:

Two tactical squads
A Deathwing Tweminator squad
A Ravenwing bike squad
A Primaris assault squad (whatever they're called)
A sniper squad

Now to assemble and prime the boxes of Primaris pictured tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The God-Emperor's followers are legion.
The support of the Emperor shant be questioned, lest the heresies of a thousand galaxies be unleashed.
View Quote
Did someone say... heresy

Samus.
That's the only name you'll hear.
Samus.
It means the end and the death.
Samus.
I am Samus.
Samus is all around you.
Samus is the man beside you.
Samus will gnaw on your bones.
Look out! Samus is here.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I'd better get cracking on priming another couple of Rubric squads tomorrow.  I'd like to get one of the Maulerfiends and maybe the Ushabti that I use as Mutilators primed too.  I'm trying to get enough done to take down to the store for Armies on Parade on the first weekend of November.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Never played the game, but recently bought the Start Collecting Orks box to try painting. First WIP:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I have always enjoyed the artwork and figures and such. Is there a start to the series of the novels or are the different story lines each stand alone stories? I am sure i would get a kick out of the stories.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have always enjoyed the artwork and figures and such. Is there a start to the series of the novels or are the different story lines each stand alone stories? I am sure i would get a kick out of the stories.
View Quote
Tons of stand alone singles and series in a larger universe for the most part.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would start on the Wiki honestly. You can read about the major factions and get an basic idea of whats going on. I would start on the Horus Heresy novels after that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Tagged
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Eisenhorn Omnibus seems to be a pretty solid entry-point.  It has all the GrimDark of the series and is well written.  It's gotten pricey though as GeeDubs has re-released all of the trilogy in shiny new individual books.

The Night Lords Omnibus is another good entry point.

I'd try and read some of the 40K stuff before you get into The Horus Heresy.  It makes the prequel stuff in there much more interesting to see what the Empire of Man has become and THEN see what it started out as.

A fair warning though...   There is a LOT of bad, REALLY bad stuff in the Warhammer books.  Prior to 2005/2006 (or around there), consistency wasn't exactly a strong suit in the lore.  There is a lot of stuff that's really hacky sci-fi in the older Black Library books.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I've gone through the Gaunt's Ghosts omnibuses, Ciaphas Cain, Blood angels, Pace Wolf, and a bunch of the others.  The Ultramarines Omnibus, especially the 2d, lead into the Iron Warrior Omnibus.  Chaos marines are a whole different sort of badass!  Recently some of the heresy books have been coming out in omnibus format as well.  The Inquisition omnibus', Ravenor & Eisenhorn, show a different aspect of the Imperium that the Astartes books do.  Not a particularly comfortable existence.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#16]
some of the 40k games on steam are on sale. I have a bunch but not this one nor a few others.  they add them faster than I have spare change.
armageddon

ork mr potato head conversion. someone did
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

maybe one day I will paint as cool as some of these.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the lore is kind of cool.  Though it became slightly less so after I realized the original core of it was a nerd's fantasy (Ultramarines) against jocks/cool kids (Orcs).
LulWut?

Orkz are plainly based on "Colonials" and Soccer Hooligans.

Space Marines are just that, superhuman/post-human genetically engineered humans/warrior monks.

The game was thought up in Nottinghamshire in England in the early 80s, projection much?
Sorry to ruin your Warhammer party.  Dude, I said I liked the lore, and yes, many of my interests make me "nerdy."

Red wunz go faster-sports cars
Orcs can cobble stuff together that shouldn't work, but does-ricer cars or bro trucks
Knowledge of Self trial-completely mental trial, not physical at all, basically a nerd's delight.  After which, they get transformed by becoming muscular through implants, whatever.

You'd know better than me, if it's not what I said it is, that's just fine with me.  
http://media.giphy.com/media/HX7pvh1mIqImc/giphy.gif
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#21]
This thread needs more EXTERMINATUS!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#22]
The skies of Mars begin to rain as an enormous golden ship descends.  The single warrior who emerges is greeted by a lone Mechanicum Knight.  

The Knight has descended a long flight of steps and has a limp due to an irreparable knee. The warrior sees this,  and lays His hands on the Knight...

Attachment Attached File

(From the prologue to Mechanicum)
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just counted.  I have 68 Warhammer 40K books.

View Quote
Are you including rulebooks and codices in that number?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
novels or rulesbooks and codex?

I have more novels than that, but only a dozen or so codex and rulebooks.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Why can't you get the dang things on Kindle?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think you can, you just have to buy them on GWs store.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
ebooks are out there. you can get them from the black library page. sometimes they show up on humble bundle too.

US amazon store only has a couple things, the uk amazon store has a bunch.

but this one is free, think its a graphic novel.
will of iron #0

I have one of the audiobooks its short but enjoyable, but shortly after they make them they climb in price.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 4:47:01 AM EDT
[#28]
They have just released a mass of black library  audio books on audible.  Never played the game or read any before but have started with Horus Rising and it's pretty good. Top narrator too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Waagh 5 Standing By!

Link Posted: 10/5/2017 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#30]
What type of art programs are used to create the 40k artwork like on the book covers?
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What type of art programs are used to create the 40k artwork like on the book covers?
View Quote
Probably a mix of digital and regular art forms. Adobe illustrator would probably be a big one though. 
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Do I want to buy a Cadian IG army?  I've always liked the idea of regular joes being the breaktide against Orks or Chaos.  The new codex seems good.  Was thinking maybe a start collecting box and a Cadian Defense force box to start, but that's only like 750 points of stuff.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do Omnibus editions count as 1 or 3 books?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Do I want to buy a Cadian IG army?  I've always liked the idea of regular joes being the breaktide against Orks or Chaos.  The new codex seems good.  Was thinking maybe a start collecting box and a Cadian Defense force box to start, but that's only like 750 points of stuff.  Any suggestions?
View Quote
The Start Collecting boxes are good deals. I would buy one and see how you like it. If you still enjoy it, you can buy individual stuff online or at a GW store. Try to pace yourself by the way
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Start Collecting boxes are good deals. I would buy one and see how you like it. If you still enjoy it, you can buy individual stuff online or at a GW store. Try to pace yourself by the way
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pace myself? I didn’t know table top gamers had that phrase in their lexicon.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Someday these will have their own bookcase in my Nerdery...  

Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ha! I’m probably in that range. Good fast bloody reads.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bought the army box when it was available years ago, and about 4 boxes of troops extra.  I have only about 4 tanks. really need a super heavy or two. and some of the aircraft.  I have one box of Kasrkin. not put any of it together yet.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Go for it.

I, myself, am dreading the time when I get to any of the IG armies I have yet to build and paint.  Especially the Death Korps...sooo much infantry.  Beautiful models, but sooo many.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Go for it.

I, myself, am dreading the time when I get to any of the IG armies I have yet to build and paint.  Especially the Death Korps...sooo much infantry.  Beautiful models, but sooo many.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go for it.

A Death Korps army is my grail army for IG. I can’t afford it though and I can’t find any recasters that offer the entire line.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A Death Korps army is my grail army for IG. I can’t afford it though and I can’t find any recasters that offer the entire line.
View Quote
My three partially built IG armies are DKoK, Elysians, and renegade guard.  Waaaay too much resin.

Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#44]
So many mon-keigh in here
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
I started WFB with Dark Elves, 40k with Eldar and Dark Eldar.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
that's ok. I have a couple hundred .
Even if I count the omnibus books as a single book, I have a couple hundred.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but Black Library used to have a section on their site for out of print books.

I haven't been reading/collecting the books for a while. I think the last HH book I read was "Damnation of Pythos".
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Someday these will have their own bookcase in my Nerdery...  

https://i.imgur.com/M6ISdLo.jpg?1  https://i.imgur.com/341NV0T.jpg?1
View Quote
@50DollarCheShirt

That's about how mine used to look until I got some dedicated shelves for all my books. Now they're all sitting in boxes back in the US. I'd like to ship them all here, but the shipping cost might be a little much.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I started with WFB and played that for a bit before moving into 2E/3E 40k.

Dark Elves and Skaven mostly, a bit of Undead.

Was interested in Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, and the Regiments of Renown/Dogs of War, but they keep getting Squatted and Un-Squatted, then they Squatted the whole Universe.

If I get back into 40k, I may take my poorly painted assembly of Cadians, Death Korps and Praetorians hit 'em a thinned red wash, and make some Blood Pact.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No.

All novels - stuff like Gaunt's Ghosts, Horus Heresy, Eisenhorn/Ravenor omnibus collections, and shitloads of Space Marine books and omnibus collections.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

All novels - stuff like Gaunt's Ghosts, Horus Heresy, Eisenhorn/Ravenor omnibus collections, and shitloads of Space Marine books and omnibus collections.
Same.

I have every Codex from 2E to 4E, the boxed games 2E, 3E, 4E of 40k, plus 4E, 5E, 6E WHFB, and the armies books, the original "Slaves to Darkness" and "Lost and the Damned", most of the "Scenario Books" (Grudge of Drong, etc.)

Most of the Fantasy/40k Lit, even the old "Bad Stuff". (Wine of Dreams, Inquisitor Jaq Draco) up until HH "Fear to Tread".

Also was a poster on Trollslayer.net with Bill King

Probably have as much invested in GW as I do in Guns/Ammo.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top