Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/23/2017 3:16:21 PM EDT
https://apnews.com/04791dfbe30a4d3596e8d187b16d837e

The FBI hasn’t been able to retrieve data from more than half of the mobile devices it tried to access in less than a year, FBI Director Christopher Wray said Sunday, turning up the heat on a debate between technology companies and law enforcement officials trying to recover encrypted communications.

In the first 11 months of the fiscal year, federal agents were unable to access the content of more than 6,900 mobile devices, Wray said in a speech at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference in Philadelphia.

“To put it mildly, this is a huge, huge problem,” Wray said. “It impacts investigations across the board — narcotics, human trafficking, counterterrorism, counterintelligence, gangs, organized crime, child exploitation.”
View Quote
It looks like the "Going Dark" debate is going to continue for quite some time and I'm not sure that there's a technological or legislative solution* to the issue...

*or at least a solution that anyone's going to like and/or wouldn't be ridiculously easy to circumvent by the average user.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Good.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not prepared to take his word for it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this their way of demanding access via back doors?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
My heart bleeds for them. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey FBI, there's a whole nest of Pedos in Hollywood and DC.  They're pretty open about it too.  Doubt you'd have to do any hackerman stuff to catch them.  Go catch those guys and we'll talk.

P.S.  The answer will still be no you statist fucks.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes.  Only the trustworthy government should have secrets.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#10]
That makes me moist.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]
They have it wrong. They can access the devices... they just can't interpret the data on them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Those stats would be easy to FOIA.

Being unable to access roughly half the cell phones is basically my experience - although that wasn't necessarily always due to the latest / greatest uber-encryption from Apple or Google.  Lots of bad guys use shitty Chinese clone burner phones that are a pain in the ass to access due to tool compatibility reasons more than anything else...
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gotta get them terrorists.

Shirley you don't want the terrorists to win??

Something something trading Liberty something something...........
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Another run at the Clipper Chip.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Being unable to access roughly half the cell phones is basically my experience - although that wasn't necessarily always due to the latest / greatest uber-encryption from Apple or Google.  Lots of bad guys use shitty Chinese clone burner phones that are a pain in the ass to access due to tool compatibility reasons more than anything else...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's also some choices made in the words.  I wonder how many of them they were able to obtain the information they were wanting through other avenues.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey FBI, there's a whole nest of Pedos in Hollywood and DC.  They're pretty open about it too.  Doubt you'd have to do any hackerman stuff to catch them.  Go catch those guys and we'll talk.

P.S.  The answer will still be no you statist fucks.  
View Quote
Oh look you're bringing #Pizzagate into yet another thread.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There's also some choices made in the words.  I wonder how many of them they were able to obtain the information they were wanting through other avenues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point. Depends on what they were wanting.

Bad Guy can have the latest / greatest uber-phone with unbreakable encryption.  If the evidence the feds are looking for can be found in his Gmail account they are simply going to get a search warrant for the contents of that account held by Google.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote
yep
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#19]
“To put it mildly, this is a huge, huge problem,”
View Quote
Boo hoo. 

They act like the gov has an innate right to our communications. Statist fuck indeed. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They have it wrong. They can access the devices... they just can't interpret the data on them.
View Quote
Sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bad Guy can have the latest / greatest uber-phone with unbreakable encryption.  If the evidence the feds are looking for can be found in his Gmail account they are simply going to get a search warrant for the contents of that account held by Google.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google, iCloud, cell provider.  There's plenty of data to be had without giving up our essential liberties for temporary security.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sometimes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sometimes.
If they can physically touch it they have access to it.  They just can't actually get the data off of it, but I don't care.  It's a search warrant not a find warrant.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#24]
FPNI.

“Ban privacy, it’s for the children!”
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Why not outlaw burning or hiding letters while they're at it?

From a book I read: "To the government, everything not under its control is out of control."
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Good

how many truecrypt containers/hidden containers can they access?

Gov doesn't need to be able to crack everyone's hidden stuff.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good

Thats why we had the above on our issued/personal laptops 

I know the SOCOM guys use it or something similar for their operational laptops.
View Quote
Within the DoD at least, data at rest protections are required for all unclassified laptops.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I will ask the computer savvy guys, is truecrypt using a hidden container still safe?

Im talking 7.0 and below.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Fpni
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Interesting. I figured they had hacks for most of that stuff.
View Quote
They will undoubtedly get there eventually. San Bernadino highlighted the challenge with cracking iPhones after 5c.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

P.S.  The answer will still be no you CORRUPT fucks.  
View Quote
Read my mind, except for one change.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Within the DoD at least, data at rest protections are required for all unclassified laptops.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I will ask the computer savvy guys, is truecrypt using a hidden container still safe?

View Quote
I think everyone is using veracrypt now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm still comfortable with 7.1a for the risks I have to mitigate.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#38]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
FPNI.

View Quote
Absolutely.

Translation of OP's article:

"These constitutionally-protected rights are a real problem; big government needs a "final solution" to these problematic rights!"
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://apnews.com/04791dfbe30a4d3596e8d187b16d837e

The FBI hasn’t been able to retrieve data from more than half of the mobile devices it tried to access in less than a year, FBI Director Christopher Wray said Sunday, turning up the heat on a debate between technology companies and law enforcement officials trying to recover encrypted communications.

In the first 11 months of the fiscal year, federal agents were unable to access the content of more than 6,900 mobile devices, Wray said in a speech at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference in Philadelphia.

“To put it mildly, this is a huge, huge problem,” Wray said. “It impacts investigations across the board — narcotics, human trafficking, counterterrorism, counterintelligence, gangs, organized crime, child exploitation.”
View Quote
It looks like the "Going Dark" debate is going to continue for quite some time and I'm not sure that there's a technological or legislative solution* to the issue...

*or at least a solution that anyone's going to like and/or wouldn't be ridiculously easy to circumvent by the average user.
View Quote

Anyone who thinks intel types don't have backdoors are fooling themselves.  They just don't tip their hand or show off their actual capability for petty stuff like homicide, drug / gun running, or theft.  They save it for the big stuff.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

Thats why we had the above on our issued/personal laptops 

I know the SOCOM guys use it or something similar for their operational laptops.
Roger
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know, thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Absolutely.

"These constitutionally-protected rights are a real problem; big government needs a "final solution" to these problematic rights!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI.

Absolutely.

Not exactly.  Even within the US government there's a lot of debate on the issue.  DHS's attitude is a bit more nuanced (and less whiny) than DOJ's, for instance.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
The only real hope they have (without manufacturer collusion) in something implemented properly, is finding an undiscovered and/or unpatched exploit. 

They're not the only people on earth who get paid to do that either, nor do they have a monopoly on really clever and resourceful coders. 

If the FBI can work around it, so can anyone else. Ergo, my reply of "good" to the story. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Good enough" for probably 99.97 percent of the threat models out there...

(Standing by the get flamed by some obscure Linux flavor zealot)
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Boo hoo...
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

"Good enough" for probably 99.97 percent of the threat models out there...

(Standing by the get flamed by some obscure Linux flavor zealot)
View Quote
I use encryption for my backups of the stuff I write.  I like to lie to myself and believe that my writing is good enough someone would actually want to steal it and use it
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ok, I know for some things our G2 IMO Officer had to have copies of our truecrypt passwords for reg and hidden containers.

If the above was true why would they need our passwords for our containers on the gov laptops?

If they could access them why would they need our password?
View Quote
Truecrypt was never authorized.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The DoD CIO memo on DAR was specifically for unclassified laptops as classified ones should have proper physical controls in place to keep them from being walked away with from airports.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The only real hope they have (without manufacturer collusion) in something implemented properly, is finding an undiscovered and/or unpatched exploit. 

They're not the only people on earth who get paid to do that either, nor do they have a monopoly on really clever and resourceful coders. 

If the FBI can work around it, so can anyone else. Ergo, my reply of "good" to the story. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's assumed they have a big budget, which tends to help.

Of course,  it's also assumed they have manufacturer collusion.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top