Page / 2
Posted: 11/13/2017 6:51:08 AM EDT
12 STRONG - Official Trailer
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I read the book twice. Well worth it
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:53:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Seen the trailer before watching Thor. Looks like a good movie.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks good
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I met one of these soldiers at a local Rotary club meeting where he spoke and showed slides of photos. Many of the same photos I saw online. Wish I could remember his name.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a black dude in the movie.  Was there a black dude in the actual group?  I'm sure there will be a queer in the movie too.  Fucking Hollyweird and their black Stormtrooper social BS.

It looks like a good movie and I will probably see it in the theater.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read the book twice. Well worth it
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Little-known fact:  After 9/11, the US Border Patrol was contacted by DoD.  They wanted BP to train soldiers on how to patrol on horseback, and how to run pack mules.  BP on the northern border routinely ran strings of pack mules for extended patrols of the border.

A whole bunch of special forces types ended up with BP agents in California, Arizona, and Washington state for the training.  I didn't participate, but several of my good friends related stories to me later.  They said that to a man, those guys were hard core seriously good dudes.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#8]
A Calvary charge with M4s.

A wet dream
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seen the trailer before watching Thor. Looks like a good movie.
View Quote
That's a good match for movies.

Charging tanks on horseback at gallop while firing my M4 under one shoulder.

Seems legit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There's a black dude in the movie.  Was there a black dude in the actual group?  I'm sure there will be a queer in the movie too.  Fucking Hollyweird and their black Stormtrooper social BS.

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damn, for your sake I hope there's no Jews in the movie.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#12]
yup.

I'll see this one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll see it....Sounds like I need ot buy the book.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted: A Calvary charge with M4s.
View Quote
It is Cavalry.

As in "AIR CAV Son!"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It is Cavalry.

As in "AIR CAV Son!"

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/11759/original-361451.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: A Calvary charge with M4s.
It is Cavalry.

As in "AIR CAV Son!"

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/11759/original-361451.JPG
Does Cav have Nukular weapons?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#17]
If the movie is accurate, I'll be the bearded cat with the beta mag on his M4 riding the MI-17 during the re-supply runs and hands out the AFO benchmade knives.  Dave D is the bearded cat that has the thousand yard stare from being the night time AST trapped in the JOC.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If the movie is accurate, I'll be the bearded cat with the beta mag on his M4 riding the MI-17 during the re-supply runs and hands out the AFO benchmade knives.  Dave D is the bearded cat that has the thousand yard stare from being the night time AST trapped in the JOC.
View Quote
you're the guy with the beard?  that should help narrow it down.

And you didn't ride a MI-17.  You rode a horse.  And charged the Taliban tank divisions.  firing your M855 (262 won't penetrate T55 armor) at them.

because that totally happened.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#19]
A book worth reading:

Amazon Product
  • Horse Soldiers The Extraordinary Story of a Band of U S Soldiers Who Rode to Victory in Afghanistan

Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Little-known fact:  After 9/11, the US Border Patrol was contacted by DoD.  They wanted BP to train soldiers on how to patrol on horseback, and how to run pack mules.  BP on the northern border routinely ran strings of pack mules for extended patrols of the border.

A whole bunch of special forces types ended up with BP agents in California, Arizona, and Washington state for the training.  I didn't participate, but several of my good friends related stories to me later.  They said that to a man, those guys were hard core seriously good dudes.
View Quote
Marine Corps runs a pack mule school in northern Cali IIRC
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Marine Corps runs a pack mule school in northern Cali IIRC
View Quote
Yes sir, they do.  I'm given to understand that a former Marine/Border Patrol agent who was recalled to active duty after 9/11 helped them set it up.

In typical Marine fashion, they made it better, and the Patrol implemented some of their changes in our own program.

We had a disproportionate number of former Marines apply to the Border Patrol...they were our best trainees.  Couldn't shoot a pistol for crap, but I never wasted time on M4 training with them.  Those kids could shoot a rifle JUST FINE.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#22]
That trailer makes the movie look like one of those over-the-top Chinese action flicks like Wolf Warrior.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I read the book it was a good read. From what I can tell, it should be fairly accurate to the book. The subtitle of the movie doesn't even say "based on" either, it just says "the declassified true story of..." so it leaves me hopeful.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm praying this stays true to the book and the real-life story of these men.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#25]
And on 25 November 2001, a 32 year old American became the first KIA of America's First 21st Century War in Afghanistan.

His name was Johnny Michael Spahn, a Paramilitary Operations Officer with the Special Activities Division of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency.

Mr. Spahn was part of Operation Jawbreaker. He was killed at the Qala-i-Jangi compound near Mazari Sharif in northern Afghanistan. Earlier that day, he and David Tyson, another SAD officer, questioned John Walker Lindh, an American citizen, and other prisoners.

I'll not bore you with the details, but Mr. Spahn went down fighting a vastly superior number of the enemy.

He truly earned his Star on the CIA Memorial Wall. The other 124 stars represent another person who chose to serve our nation anonymously, and paid the ultimate price doing so. The names behind 33 stars are still classified.

Think of them too while you watch this movie.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I didn't mean to kill this thread.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I didn't mean to kill this thread.
View Quote
Don't feel bad, partner.  I've killed more threads than small pox has killed humans.  You get used to it after awhile.

But you know what?  You and I are good enough, we're smart enough, and dogonnit...people like us.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#28]
My dear departed father was in the horse cav at the start of WWII. He would have liked this.

He was just a Kansas farm boy who liked horses.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Lotta typical (and bad) war movie cliches in the trailer, but maybe I'm being pissy. It's an incredible story, the book was outstanding, and I will certainly watch the film.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sir you're letting your racism show...

You know they like, let black people serve in the military right???

17ers...
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A Calvary charge with M4s.

A wet dream
View Quote
Jesus man

Learn how to spell
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
And on 25 November 2001, a 32 year old American became the first KIA of America's First 21st Century War in Afghanistan.

His name was Johnny Michael Spahn, a Paramilitary Operations Officer with the Special Activities Division of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency.

Mr. Spahn was part of Operation Jawbreaker. He was killed at the Qala-i-Jangi compound near Mazari Sharif in northern Afghanistan. Earlier that day, he and David Tyson, another SAD officer, questioned John Walker Lindh, an American citizen, and other prisoners.

I'll not bore you with the details, but Mr. Spahn went down fighting a vastly superior number of the enemy.

He truly earned his Star on the CIA Memorial Wall. The other 124 stars represent another person who chose to serve our nation anonymously, and paid the ultimate price doing so. The names behind 33 stars are still classified.

Think of them too while you watch this movie.
View Quote
He was a Marine too. Rest In Peace Warrior. Semper Fidelis.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Captain Mark Nutsch, who is the character "Captain Mitch Nelson" in Horse Soldiers, spoke at the American Legion here in 2012.

He was a riveting speaker. He made history come alive.

While I can't remember details of his talk, firing an M4 while riding a horse seems within the realm of reality.

He is a Kansas boy and rode on the university rodeo team.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
There aren't any black guys in SF, every .mil guy knows that....

Probably a regulation or something.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Jesus man

Learn how to spell
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course there are.  The producers and the directors. It Hollywood and everyone knows that.  ????????

Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think the SEALS have a tranny, not sure if they have a black dude..maybe he is Puerto Rican?
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Just ordered the book. Looking forward to it, GD always gives good suggestions on reading material
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#39]
To be watched
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
No but there is a swim test.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

17ers...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

17ers...
African Americans aren't very well represented in certain segments of the military, especially in 2001. Yes, he's a racist asshole if such a character exists, but another possibility is that a real person had their identity transplanted to appease the PC police. Or the director simply wanted to improve the demographic appeal of the movie. At least they didn't Ghostbusters this thing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I was an extra for one of the scenes in the beginning of the movie, hopefully I didn’t make the editing room floor! Lol
From what I could tell they tried to be fairly accurate. But luckily there were a few of us who were former .mil and corrected a few things. I was in an office scene and they had a bunch of posters on the wall around and one of them had a soldier wearing ACU’s. Told them that needed to come down and the director actually listened to us lowly extras.
Then he yelled at the prop department guys.  
It was filmed primarily all around New Mexico.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're probably going to be triggered once you see the lesbian character.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My dear departed father was in the horse cav at the start of WWII. He would have liked this.

He was just a Kansas farm boy who liked horses.
View Quote
WW2 was interesting as far as that goes.

My Dad was also Cavalry, then went Infantry, French Foreign Legion, then became an RAF pilot/navigator.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's a good match for movies.

Charging tanks on horseback at gallop while firing my M4 under one shoulder.

Seems legit.
View Quote
I am sure Hollywood will botch the story horribly but it is based on actual events.  For what it's worth the Northern Alliance did make a horse "cavalry charge" on the Taliban.

As mentioned above "Mitch Nelson" is (then) Captain Mark Nutsch.  I went to K-State with Mark and I stay in touch with him.  He just mentioned the film to me and said he finally met with the production and marketing people just recently.

Mark is a fantastic and humble guy.  If you want to know more about him, his team and the true story watch the documentary "Legion of Brothers".

Legion of Brothers  - Trailer
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I am sure Hollywood will botch the story horribly but it is based on actual events.  For what it's worth the Northern Alliance did make a horse "cavalry charge" on the Taliban.

As mentioned above "Mitch Nelson" is (then) Captain Mark Nutsch.  I went to K-State with Mark and I stay in touch with him.  He just mentioned the film to me and said he finally met with the production and marketing people just recently.

Mark is a fantastic and humble guy.  If you want to know more about him, his team and the true story watch the documentary "Legion of Brothers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8aCtCQP_LQ
View Quote
Thanks for mentioning that, looks like it's on Amazon.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
You Won't Succeed on Broadway If You Don't Have Any Jews
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

you're the guy with the beard?  that should help narrow it down.

And you didn't ride a MI-17.  You rode a horse.  And charged the Taliban tank divisions.  firing your M855 (262 won't penetrate T55 armor) at them.

because that totally happened.
View Quote
On October 21, the Northern Alliance sought to capture the village of Bishqab, which would help them gain a foothold to eventually move on to more strategic settlements and begin regaining control of Afghanistan. The attack would require a charge by the Northern Alliance’s 1,500 cavalry and 1,500 light infantry across a mile-wide plain marked by ridges, which would expose the forces to enemy fire: Bishqab was fortified with tanks, cannons, machine guns, anti-aircraft guns, mines, RPGs and mortars. The attack by the Northern Alliance seemed suicidal, despite air support from US forces.

However, due perhaps to the speed of the cavalry, the second line of horsemen succeeded in taking the Taliban trenches with the enemy fleeing. A second, larger attack the next day at Cobaki nearly saw the Northern Alliance fail; it was at this point that members of the Special Forces themselves charged into battle on horseback to aid General Dostum. This reinforcement turned the tide and the Northern Alliance took the day.

Captain Nutsch emailed a report including a line that has since become famous:

"I am advising a man on how to best employ light infantry and horse cavalry in the attack against Taliban T-55s, mortars, artillery, personnel carriers, and machine guns – a tactic which I think became outdated with the invention of the Gatling gun."
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

On October 21, the Northern Alliance sought to capture the village of Bishqab, which would help them gain a foothold to eventually move on to more strategic settlements and begin regaining control of Afghanistan. The attack would require a charge by the Northern Alliance’s 1,500 cavalry and 1,500 light infantry across a mile-wide plain marked by ridges, which would expose the forces to enemy fire: Bishqab was fortified with tanks, cannons, machine guns, anti-aircraft guns, mines, RPGs and mortars. The attack by the Northern Alliance seemed suicidal, despite air support from US forces.

However, due perhaps to the speed of the cavalry, the second line of horsemen succeeded in taking the Taliban trenches with the enemy fleeing. A second, larger attack the next day at Cobaki nearly saw the Northern Alliance fail; it was at this point that members of the Special Forces themselves charged into battle on horseback to aid General Dostum. This reinforcement turned the tide and the Northern Alliance took the day.

Captain Nutsch emailed a report including a line that has since become famous:

"I am advising a man on how to best employ light infantry and horse cavalry in the attack against Taliban T-55s, mortars, artillery, personnel carriers, and machine guns – a tactic which I think became outdated with the invention of the Gatling gun."
View Quote
I have written and read enough AARs to understand the difference between what is written and what is reality.

Hey, maybe it did happen.  But as I wasn't there and embellishing stories is old hat I'm in the disbelief mode.

I am sure its more factual than American Sniper/Zero Dark Thirty/Lone Survivor, FWIW
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top