Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Kill them all and let the buzzards sort them out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any hunt becomes a Coyote hunt if you see one.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That takes the cake as the most stupid thing with the worst optics for non-hunters that I've ever seen posted here.
View Quote
I killed 4 yotes off that set, so i guess it worked just fine
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
My hunting has been limited to walking around the woods of south central FL unsuccessfully finding hogs to murder. But I have thought about if I killed a bigger hog that doesn't make good eating, leaving it there for a yote and smoking that doge.

So I'd throw my hat in kill pile, but am I the only one that finds coyotes fascinating and an admirer of their survival and ability to adapt?

Quoted:
I always understood coyote packs to be self-regulating.  Typically, only the dominant male and female breed, and the fertility window is very narrow.  One week in February.  During this time in heat, the dominate female will not let her daughters/sisters breed with any of the males.    

If the social hierarchy is changed by the death of one of the dominate couple, then in the near term the sister/daughters breed until the pack once again has an established hierarchy.  If there is widespread mortality within the pack, they all breed and the pack is back up to it's natural territorial numbers in a year to 18 months.  

Hence the idea - you really can't eliminate them from an area without destroying their habitat/food source or re-introducing other apex predators. Wolves can be real effective control on yotes.  But, that's not really an option in most places.  
View Quote
And in some cases has caused more issues that it solves.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That takes the cake as the most stupid thing with the worst optics for non-hunters that I've ever seen posted here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Poor Puppers..
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
QFT

Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Choot em'
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Here was their den.

I hope it was full of pups.

Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Shoot on sight 100% of the time. If nothing else they're fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How many coyotes does it take to attack an 80lb dog?

Or is one that bold?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn. What breed if I may ask?

(I'm curious how large an animal coyotes will and can kill.)
Jumping out of line but ours was a lab/rottie mix about 80lbs, a little old but a damn good dog.
Picked her up on the road on the way back from a sale.

Or is one that bold?
All of the pack.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And rabbits,turkey,deer and anything else they can kill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They eat mice, I keep em around on my ranch
Amen. Kill coyotes (and where permitted wolves) without prejudice.  They kill lots of fawns, calves, sheep, pets, everything.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The longest shot I ever took on an animal was when I was elk hunting in Colorado.

A coyote walked across a meadow around a 1/4 mile away midday. I lasered it at the time, but I can't remember the exact distance. I lobbed a couple of 300 grain Nosler Partitions at him with my .375 RUM. It was hard to find him in a scope set on 4X.

I didn't hit him but he was startled.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#13]
If coyotes are so harmless...why did they name them after human smugglers?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We lease some of our land out for cattle. The coyotes will wait for a cow to start birthing a calf and then they'll eat the calf while both are helpless.

All coyotes get shot on sight on our farm.
View Quote
Possible, but more than likely the cow is having issues birthing, and the farmer isn't around to help. Cow is as good as dead before they dine. Not 100% but very likely.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
#JusticeforFelipe
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
First post magic
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
English Setter. About 50-60lbs. Damn smart and loyal dog. R. I. P. Gotcheye.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#18]
SO is it true they are essentially non native to the entire US except for the South West? And the elimination of the wolf allowed the coyote to expand eastward?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As much as I hate coyotes, there are way too many deer in Ohio.  The coyotes need to be killing some of the deer off.
View Quote
I use to agree until I witnessed one trying to lure my dog away from the house.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Blammo!
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All of the pack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jumping out of line but ours was a lab/rottie mix about 80lbs, a little old but a damn good dog.
Picked her up on the road on the way back from a sale.

Or is one that bold?
All of the pack.
I hear them all the time when I'm out further west past Leesburg and Purceville.

I've tried hunting them once (were coming further in on a friend's property).

Failed at hunting them.

Other guys said it is pretty tough, and I'd probably fail my first time out, so I didn't feel like a complete fag.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Poor Puppers..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poor Puppers..
OMG, I'm so offended:  Are you offended too??!?  Let's be offended together!!!

Wonder if the skinny-jean city boy realizes that they were in fact dead when iasc set them on fire.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
SO is it true they are essentially non native to the entire US except for the South West? And the elimination of the wolf allowed the coyote to expand eastward?
View Quote
That is the general consensus.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Kill'em all
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I hear them all the time when I'm out further west past Leesburg and Purceville.

I've tried hunting them once (were coming further in on a friend's property).

Failed at hunting them.

Other guys said it is pretty tough, and I'd probably fail my first time out, so I didn't feel like a complete fag.
View Quote
Took mine (pictured above) in Lucketts.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Took mine (pictured above) in Lucketts.
View Quote
That's awesome, one of my good friends lives in Lucketts. Sadly, he's not a big gun guy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to be in the shoot on sight camp until I heard Dan Flores and (separately) a wildlife biologist speak about them.

The theory they hold is that a reduction in coyote numbers triggers extra births and dispersion.

Luckily in my area coyote numbers seem to be down this year, but I'm reading everything I can find about it to see if shooting the few I'm able to shoot is a good or bad idea.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would shoot them but there is a strong case that when they howl it’s basically a roll call. Meaning when one is missing more get born.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Here’s a 40 pounder walking down my neighbors driveway at 2 pm last week. The neighbor leaves his dogs out in the yard yard sometimes when he goes to town - despite losing 2 dogs preciously to coyotes. I stopped the car and was going to launch a few at it with my glock 26 but I needed it to go to the right about 50 yards to have a good backstop.

Fuck yotes....I kill them out of my backyard in the winter trying to get my dogs. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For every 1 you kill, 3 more were just born.
View Quote
That is complete bullshit. Coyotes were damn near completely eradicated in the hill country of Texas. Trapping, poisoning and bounties were the methods.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You won't make any kind of a dent in the population by shooting them.
It's takes a control effort with traps, M44s, and  possibly, aerial gunning to have any kind of measurable effect on a population.

In a lot of areas,  fawns are the #1 food source for coyotes in late spring/ early summer.   It is what it is.
View Quote
Poison works beautifully-problem is, the non-target animals it kills, both by primary and secondary poisoning.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Heres a 40 pounder walking down my neighbors driveway at 2 pm last week. The neighbor leaves his dogs out in the yard yard sometimes when he goes to town - despite losing 2 dogs preciously to coyotes. I stopped the car and was going to launch a few at it with my glock 26 but I needed it to go to the right about 50 yards to have a good backstop.

Fuck yotes....I kill them out of my backyard in the winter trying to get my dogs. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/167625/3DD304F3-BA89-4265-B732-E53B802C0BEF-363975.JPG
View Quote
Looks like a goat.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#35]
FPNI
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The combination of eliminating wolves and attempting to eliminate coyotes made them spread.
Basically for the last 20,000 years wolves have been trying to eliminate coyotes, and coyotes evolved to overreact to it by spreading.
Wolves weren't ready for humans and died, coyotes had practice and thrived.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Oh! Right in the feels!

What fucking difference does it make if the dead yotes rot or if someone sets them on fire? They are fucking dead already.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I've shot a handful over the years on my property, which is about 400 acres of orchard, ponds, and undeveloped sagebrush.  The only problem that we've ever had with them is chewing through the drip lines for the trees, but that's not a problem since going to sprinklers.  Plenty of dogs and assorted livestock outside and we've only lost one animal, that I can remember, to a coyote.  And to be honest, that could have just as easily been a stray dog.  We hear coyotes within a couple hundred yards of the house just about every night, too, so they are out there.  I think there is enough food for them between rodents and fruit that they just aren't going to bother with anything bigger than a small dog.  I'll still shoot them given the opportunity, but I don't go after them.  I've had to shoot more dogs than coyotes, to be honest, city people leaving their dogs in the country to starve to death are some of the worst kinds of people out there.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#39]
A 70%  annual reduction in their population would only maintain a level population.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I’d love to see some coyote rifle setups.  I hear a ton of them howling around my neighborhood and would love to see them deaded.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Shot a black and rust colored coyote with my crossbow while deer hunting yesterday and got to wondering. Are coyote populations self limiting due to food availability or do they need to die? There is a field of weeds where we walk our dogs nearby with a vehicle path to gas well heads. Every spring when it's time for the first fawns to drop and on through the summer all the coyote scat has deer hair in it. Doesn't have it the rest of the year. So I'm thinking they need to die. Maybe I'm wrong and it's all part of nature's plan so that too many deer don't overgraze their territory and have massive dieoffs due to starvation.
View Quote

They are self limiting. But I kill everyone I see. They eat anything they can catch.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
fpni. Kill em all.

J-
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#43]
We kill them at the farm.  They like to eat our chicken and barn cats.  
My FIL pays $100/head for them up at the hunt club.  There's a young guy up there that pays his yearly dues with them.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Exactly....hell, I'll hunt 'em with my truck bumper...
View Quote
HA I got a great story about that.

Was driving down a road near out house one evening with the wife. She says "oh look a puppy standing next to the road" and look and see a yote, back to us on the shoulder eating something. As we get closer I drift over and smoke it with my truck and my wife about dies, lmaoooooo. I had to go back and show her that it wasn't someones dog that I just killed.

J-
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
They were introduce in our neck of the woods by hound hunters. Looking to replace the dwindling fox population. This was before deer hunting and leased land became popular.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI I'll kill them any time I see them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#47]
LOL, coyotes. My favorite thing to shoot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would shoot them but there is a strong case that when they howl it’s basically a roll call. Meaning when one is missing more get born.
View Quote
Yeah, they claimed something like that in my SoCal area.  Eventually areas had to hire some "official" predators of the 2 legged variety. They said if you kill them there'll just be more....

Guess coyotes can never be an endangered species.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't mind them hunting in my fields but any that get close to my place are toast.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Landowner who lets me hunt his place has a standing rule: if you see a pig or coyote, shoot it on sight.  If he finds out you didn't, turn in your key, you're not welcome back.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top