Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/22/2017 1:39:19 PM EDT
I had surgery.  So I've been taking meds.  First it was Percocet.  Script for 30, then had to get more.  Got 30.  They stepped me down to Norco, 20 total.  Every time I run out, they will do 20 more.  Now, I've run out and been off for 4-6 days at a time.  PT is now giving me some nice pain, so I've called a few times to get some more.  No problem, 20 more.

Here is where it gets interesting.  Every time I go to the pharmacy, the immediate response is "I have to check to see if we even have it."  No problem, I'll say.  The last few times the gal says  "well, that's the last 20 we have" when I pick up. Different gal each time.  So I say "wow, that is twice in a row, interesting coincidence."  This is a major pharmacy.

i think these here are some kind of talking points they use to message that they don't have any so they can ward off robbery attempts.  I can't be sure, but it seems odd.

tl:dr: taking drugs, pharmacy pretends they be out of them after I pick up scripts.  They be lying
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Ice helped far more then the pain killers...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably.

That shit fucks people up.

Personally I'd try my hardest not to take it...
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
yah they're probably trying to send a subtle message in order to prevent you from winding up in a ditch in Ohio with a rusty needle in your forearm.

be careful man. OTC painkillers and ice.

surgery isn't supposed to be easy.

best wishes for full recovery!
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably.

View Quote
#truth

Opioids make you not poop good.

But they have an expensive prescription drug that will help you poop OP.

Don't worry, the side effects can be treated with over the counter meds, well, except the gastrointestinal perforations, a surgeon will have to help you there.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Probably.

View Quote
This is my second round with these.  1999 has an accident and was on these things for six months.  Finally stopped taking them and had no issues.  Thankfully I'm not a seeker.  It's simply entertaining to hear them spout the messaging.  I've been going there for quite some time for my heartburn medicine, so the know me.  Yep, for some reason the Lortabs really mess some folks up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Be careful with that shit.  I was on Vicodin for over two years straight after an accident and a buncha surgeries.  Once your body becomes habituated to having it, it's hell on earth shaking it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

#truth

Opioids make you not poop good.

But they have an expensive prescription drug that will help you poop OP.

Don't worry, the side effects can be treated with over the counter meds, well, except the gastrointestinal perforations, a surgeon will have to help you there.
View Quote
For some reason opioids don't give me constipation.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
maybe they're watching to see if someone freaks out when they're told "hold on, we might not have anymore" as a sign of addiction.
IDK, but I've heard alot of people are getting hooked on pills. Be careful, wishing speedy recovery to you sir.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Alive works very well.   Ask your doctor what the real max dose is.   My wife just had surgery,  and her doc said it was okay to take quite a bit more that what the label says for a short period of time.

Eta:You are probably correct about them lying.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Alive works very well.   Ask your doctor what the real max dose is.   My wife just had surgery,  and her doc said it was okay to take quite a bit more that what the label says for a short period of time.

Eta:You are probably correct about them lying.
View Quote
Alive works pretty well for most people, until one day it don't work no more.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I am getting one last batch for PT days.  It really helps when it gets painful.  Ice is good too!
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
maybe they're watching to see if someone freaks out when they're told "hold on, we might not have anymore" as a sign of addiction.
IDK, but I've heard alot of people are getting hooked on pills. Be careful, wishing speedy recovery to you sir.
View Quote
This makes sense.  They can collect data this way.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_0632-370145.JPG
View Quote
That and some Gentleman Jack

Not big into drugs
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not big into drugs
View Quote
When the pain keeps you up at night, drugs can help.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not big into drugs
View Quote
Really how is getting all liquored up any different then taking a pill? I like to make sure I have all my bases cover and take my oxcy with a couple glasses of bourbon. Way more effective then motrin and ice.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  Next time they say that, start scratching your neck distractedly, stepping back and forth from one foot to the other, and loudly say "ARE YOU SURE?  CAN YOU CHECK AGAIN?  WHEN WILL YOU GET MORE?"  See what they do and report back.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.

opiods don't work for me. I spooled ibuprofen and acetaminophen like an Indian run, and it worked fairly well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This.

opiods don't work for me. I spooled ibuprofen and acetaminophen like an Indian run, and it worked fairly well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I had rotator cuff surgery years ago. Got a party sized bottle of vicodin for recovery.
Maybe took them for a couple of days before I realized they did nothing for me. Like they straight up did not work, I even tried having some booze along with them (because I am stupid).
Nada, still hurt.

Switched to OTC stuff, ice and sticking to Dr's orders as far as not moving the damn thing and I healed up just fine.

Do some people just lack opioid receptors? Because none of them ever seemed to do shit for me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.  Next time they say that, start scratching your neck distractedly, stepping back and forth from one foot to the other, and loudly say "ARE YOU SURE?  CAN YOU CHECK AGAIN?  WHEN WILL YOU GET MORE?"  See what they do and report back.
View Quote
Heh, that's funny.  I can't blame them for the behavioral analysis.  I have a BIL who would commit crimes to get opioid meds.  When my MIL had what was thought to be terminal cancer (she lived, still alive 17 years later) in the lungs, they gave her tons of pain meds, which she gave to my BIL.  He is 45 and has no life, other than to get high and drunk.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had surgery.  So I've been taking meds.  First it was Percocet.  Script for 30, then had to get more.  Got 30.  They stepped me down to Norco, 20 total.  Every time I run out, they will do 20 more.  Now, I've run out and been off for 4-6 days at a time.  PT is now giving me some nice pain, so I've called a few times to get some more.  No problem, 20 more.

Here is where it gets interesting.  Every time I go to the pharmacy, the immediate response is "I have to check to see if we even have it."  No problem, I'll say.  The last few times the gal says  "well, that's the last 20 we have" when I pick up. Different gal each time.  So I say "wow, that is twice in a row, interesting coincidence."  This is a major pharmacy.

i think these here are some kind of talking points they use to message that they don't have any so they can ward off robbery attempts.  I can't be sure, but it seems odd.

tl:dr: taking drugs, pharmacy pretends they be out of them after I pick up scripts.  They be lying
View Quote
That might be part of the reason. But the bigger reason is that they're trying to subtly tell you to not come back and fill any more of the meds. This is because some of the big pharmacies, like Walgreens, have been hit with multi million dollar fines for dispensing too many opioids (explanations differ).

The bigger question is this: How far out are you from surgery? You've described getting a minimum of at least 100 pills. And you're calling for refills every 4-6 days. This is how opioid addiction happens. People taking too many meds after a surgery. Most orthos I know would refill that Percocet #30 once and then tell you it's tylenol, IBU and ice time.

When I did C/Sections, I'd write for #30 percocet. I would usually refill the script once if asked, which was uncommon. After that, I had them come in for reevaluation and it was rare that I'd write any more. The last one that tried appeared perfectly comfortable and pain free in the office. But her boyfriend was sure twitchy.

PT is supposed to hurt. I have two partners who've had rotator cuff repairs this year. Both are physicians. Both took opioids for 2-4 days and then occasionally one before bedtime for the rest of the week. Nothing more. They both know that opioids can and will bite you if taken for too long. There's certainly a genetic component to it and you can't do anything about that. But if you're out a couple of weeks or a month and still wanting opioids, it would be wise to stop now.

Now, don't get upset. I'm not calling you a drug addict. I'm pointing out that the pattern you're describing is "possibly" concerning. Work with your PT and ortho towards non-opioid methods for pain control.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That might be part of the reason. But the bigger reason is that they're trying to subtly tell you to not come back and fill any more of the meds. This is because some of the big pharmacies, like Walgreens, have been hit with multi million dollar fines for dispensing too many opioids (explanations differ).

The bigger question is this: How far out are you from surgery? You've described getting a minimum of at least 100 pills. And you're calling for refills every 4-6 days. This is how opioid addiction happens. People taking too many meds after a surgery. Most orthos I know would refill that Percocet #30 once and then tell you it's tylenol, IBU and ice time.

When I did C/Sections, I'd write for #30 percocet. I would usually refill the script once if asked, which was uncommon. After that, I had them come in for reevaluation and it was rare that I'd write any more. The last one that tried appeared perfectly comfortable and pain free in the office. But her boyfriend was sure twitchy.

PT is supposed to hurt. I have two partners who've had rotator cuff repairs this year. Both are physicians. Both took opioids for 2-4 days and then occasionally one before bedtime for the rest of the week. Nothing more. They both know that opioids can and will bite you if taken for too long. There's certainly a genetic component to it and you can't do anything about that. But if you're out a couple of weeks or a month and still wanting opioids, it would be wise to stop now.

Now, don't get upset. I'm not calling you a drug addict. I'm pointing out that the pattern you're describing is "possibly" concerning. Work with your PT and ortho towards non-opioid methods for pain control.
View Quote
I had two  rounds of Percocet .  This is my fourth 20 count of norco.  When I mentioned 4-6 days, I mean that I am not on them for that period.  So when they give me 20, it lasts around 7 days.  I then go several days, call them and ask if they can write something.  I know they can step me down if needed.  So I'm not calling every 4-5 days for more meds. This will be my last one, and it will be regular Tylenol from here on.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#23]
The pharmacy is lying to you.  You do know pharmacists have a god complex right?
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I was at the pharmacy last night when they were explaining to a customer that they were "out" of hydrocodone tablets.  Funny, they were filling my prescription for them at the time.  The pharmacist kept giving me this "Save me from this shit." look.  Not my monkey, not my circus.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The pharmacy is lying to you.  You do know pharmacists have a god complex right?
View Quote
It's not always the god complex. They're getting heavy pressure but inconsistent feedback from the corporate overlords.

"Don't refill meds for anyone you might think is a drug addict, but always give excellent customer service!"
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not too concerned.  I have friends that are pharmacists.  I realize that it's a put on.  It's an eminence front.  Thankfully, my doctor understands my situation and has provided excellent care.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
That cold pack was a Godsend when I had my right rotator cuff done. I usually left it on longer than the 20 min on, 20 min off they suggested.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup breg + Recliner = awesome
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Unless you are some person who has nothing good in life, taking percocet isn't some big fucking deal.

I had to take it for the past year, probably went through 120 pills in the first 6 months, and from then on only when I was in serious pain or when discomfort kept me from sleeping.

I have 20 left from the 30 I was prescribed in August, and haven't had anything that ice and alleve didn't fix for a couple months.

Labral tear and permanent damage to my cartilage, BTW.

The problem with narcotics is just that some people have nothing better to do.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For some reason opioids don't give me constipation.
View Quote
Thats because you don't take a whole shitload constantly just so you can get high.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Get off of that shit.

I was on hydrocodone for a couple of years because of back problems, which eventually led to having surgery. I liked it. I liked it a lot. When I was running out of my last script after surgery I started worrying that the doctor might not refill me, because he had been talking about weaning me off of it. When I realized what I was doing, I quit cold turkey. I wasn't going to be one of these asshole smashing my hand with a hammer and going to different ERs to get more. I felt like I had the flu for a couple of days, and then I was fine. But, if you get to liking that stuff and you don't have the will power to make it stop, then you can become an addict real easy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This will be my last one, and it will be regular Tylenol from here on.
View Quote
With a doctor that's still willing to prescribe to you?
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Probably.

View Quote
Kratom and a good Anti-Inflammatory will do a better job, be a lot easier on your body and are non-addicting.

IGF-l will help it heal faster too.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#34]
They gave me morphine when I had mine done. Took one dose and said "never again".  Doc gave me Norco instead and it worked fine, but I stopped taking it as soon as I could.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I got 60 Percocet when I had my shoulder done in June. Took them around the clock for the first 5-6 days then only when sleeping for the next couple weeks. That shit on day 4 was like a cinder block.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Geez, I had both shoulders done.  Collectively, both shoulders, I took 5 Vicodin total.  What did they do to you that required so much pain medication?

I had rotators and labrum done, both sides.

ETAthey were 7.5's
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I had two  rounds of Percocet .  This is my fourth 20 count of norco.  When I mentioned 4-6 days, I mean that I am not on them for that period.  So when they give me 20, it lasts around 7 days.  I then go several days, call them and ask if they can write something.  I know they can step me down if needed.  So I'm not calling every 4-5 days for more meds. This will be my last one, and it will be regular Tylenol from here on.
View Quote
Wow that's a lot of opioids.  I haven't known a single person have more than one bottle of Vicodin with shoulder surgery.  Be careful man.  That much Tylenol alone is bad for you.  Much less the opioids.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I fucking love opiates. Just stop taking them now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Feel better.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

With a doctor that's still willing to prescribe to you?
https://i.imgur.com/ruDFlnl.gif
View Quote
Ok, we'll see.  I was on them for over 6 months when my distal tibias were fractured to pieces. I quit them when the time was right.  That was 17 years ago.  I'm no addict to pain meds.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Probably.

View Quote
ditto....it helps that for me at least opioids are just downright unpleasent to take.  I had a scrip for an opioid a couple of years ago, forget which one, but anyway it was awful.  Itchiness all over, nausea, mentally i was shot...awful shit.  I dont know how anyone can take it recreationally.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for all of the good advice to "just quit taking them man".  I only use them when I am really hurting.  doctor did several things when in there, and a few months later, it can still hurt at times.  I am not able to tolerate NSAIDS (gastro did a scope, i have pre ulcer spots, he specifically told me no Aleve and no alcohol), so I am stuck with Tylenol and whatever else they can give.  I am winding up at this point and finishing off with pain meds.

The point of this thread was the odd way in which the pharmacy communicates how "this is the last we have," or "not sure if we have any of this."  It's obviously some bizarre messaging campaign.  I don't care if they had none.  I would just fill it some other time, if needed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

ditto....it helps that for me at least opioids are just downright unpleasent to take.  I had a scrip for an opioid a couple of years ago, forget which one, but anyway it was awful.  Itchiness all over, nausea, mentally i was shot...awful shit.  I dont know how anyone can take it recreationally.
View Quote
Same affect for me.   Itchy, and my mind is a bit shot.  Makes it hard to function for work.  I'm glad they moved me down to norco from Percocet. That stuff had me like a zombie.

My wife had a minor shoulder surgery, her doc wrote 7.5 Percocets, 90 of them.  She didn't need most of them and now she takes a half here and there when her back is really hurting.   She hates them but will take a half if really hurting.  Funny, because her siblings are all dopers and would gobble them all up in no time. Her brother is 45 and looks 65 from all of the drug use over the years.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I am getting one last batch for PT days.  It really helps when it gets painful.  Ice is good too!
View Quote
I had RC surgery almost three years ago.  Eventually I backed off dosing daily with the opioids.  I just took them 30-45 mins before therapy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I had RC surgery almost three years ago.  Eventually I backed off dosing daily with the opioids.  I just took them 30-45 mins before therapy.
View Quote
That's exactly what I am doing.  500 mg Tylenol with one 5/325 norco.  Makes it more bearable.  PT went great this afternoon and I am a few weeks away from finishing up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Kratom and a good Anti-Inflammatory will do a better job, be a lot easier on your body and are non-addicting.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably.

Kratom does work, for those who want to know.

Best used if you need a long-term painkiller.

It helped me sleep, and depending on my pain, I takes it with alleve if I need it to sleep.

Sleep is usually the only reason I have taken percocet recently, but it depends. Kratom helps with everything above what alleve can take care of, and maxes out at the "terrible ache" level. At that point I take percocet, but it is very rare. It usually has something to do with physical exertion, and I am forbidden to do that at work. Unfortunately, I have to refrain from extended frisbee activities.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
i used to be a pharmacist, before that i worked as a pharmacy tech in my family's stores. the 'we are out of <insert various schedule II pain killers> was probably more common that filling scripts for them. this was in the 60s/70s. a few years ago had a pharmacist friend who kept the various oxycontin strengths on the shelf. store was burglarized. they found they guy (he od'd in a hotel room). after that he would only order oxy every so often for one or two customers he knew and only when it came time to fill the scripts. these were folks with things like cancer and so forth..

everyone is freaked about providing (proscribing and filling) opiods of any type these days.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not big into drugs
View Quote
What do you think alcohol is.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Isn't that a Proctologist  ?

Link Posted: 11/23/2017 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Off topic but I very recently dodged a bullet............felt a pop in my right shoulder and thought it was a torn tendon, rotator cuff tear, etc.

The MRI looked like it could be a tear according to the radiologist so I was referred to a surgeon.

Turns out there was no tear and only a tendon strain, like a sprained ankle.

Healing good now and NO SURGERY!!!

Sorry you had to go through this OP..........I have heard it SUCKS!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top