Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:52:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Ragnarok is one of the best and most entertaining comic book movies ever made.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 3:37:14 AM EDT
[#2]
The movie was well worth ten bucks to see. I thought it was great..

The only thing that bothered me was seeing an M16 firing full auto with the dust cover closed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 3:46:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So they should have gotten an actual cosmic elder to play Jeff Goldblums character?

An actual scientist with Gamma poisoning to play Hulks?

An actual rock to play Rock dude?

Im not sure thats gonna work......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are not getting my point, that or you are just being tarded. The point is don't put someone in a role simply because they fit the fad of the day. Pick someone who accurately represents how that character was written originally. If they made T'Challa white or asian that would be wrong. How about a gay transgendered non binary latina to be Capt America?
So they should have gotten an actual cosmic elder to play Jeff Goldblums character?

An actual scientist with Gamma poisoning to play Hulks?

An actual rock to play Rock dude?

Im not sure thats gonna work......
Oh, FFS!

I weep for your parents.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 4:15:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Not worth it.  I agree with what some of op said
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Let's see here. GD's. Number is 87, for some unknown reason.

88 has long been associated with white supremacists.

Is GD almost white supremacists?
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#6]
It's official!  GD really does hate everything...
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Wait until the OP figures out that the Valkyries were lesbians.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

it's been happening for years or did you believe all those indians in westerns were played by actual natives.

I think what many have a problem with in this thread is that OP zeroed in on Non-white people playing the supposedly white roles. Roles that really don't have much in the way of historical context as they are from a comic book. Ya Norse mythology but this obviously isn't a faithful representation of that.

Thor Ragnarok had many problems as a movie race wasn't one of them.

Lots of humor in a serous story distractingly so.

The movie spent a lot of time re positioning characters for the next movie.

Cate Blanchett made a hot villain but not exactly a good one.

Things done for sake of comics didn't make a lot of sense otherwise.

There was no point to hulk being there at all.

I could go on. but I did enjoy the movie as a whole. It wasn't perfect but I was thoroughly entertained. A mixed race Valkyrie really didn't hurt the movie.
View Quote
Thats because the indians back then were drunk from too much fire water. But i believe in the 70's there started to be more indians playing indians. The guy who played Charlie Chan in the 50's was a good actor. But i'd have rather seen an asian cast in that role. Not a white guy with the corners of his eyes pulled back!
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Somewhere between the OP and the First Post, nailed it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#10]
You are in the minority OP.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I was all fine and good about op not liking black folks in marvel movies but when you start talking shit about Jeff Goldblum your crossing the line!
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#12]
TLDR   = Was not  white enough for the OP with a username of a pistol used mostly by racial purists.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was all fine and good about op not liking black folks in marvel movies but when you start talking shit about Jeff Goldblum your crossing the line!
View Quote
+1  Ban hammer time
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Seriously that movie was lame. But being that many have become accustomed to dumbed down humor, music etc... you start thinking that mediocre movies are great. Compared to what? Other mediocre movies that really just plain suck, but you think they are great, because they are better than the last turd!

I do love you newer members calling me racist for voicing my thoughts. You will fit right in with the SJW's out there. Someone doesn't agree with you RACIST! Right? BTW here is how the Heimdall I grew up with looked in the comic books.
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.the-blueprints.com%2F.%2Fblueprints-depot%2Fhumans%2Fcomic-book-characters%2Fheimdall.gif&f=1
View Quote
lol. Stop digging.

The Marvel CINEMATIC Universe is not the same comic universe you grew up on.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Plus their biggest thing is VIbranium, which is completely made up metal that far surpasses anything else. It's part of why they are so advanced.
View Quote
Imagine if Hk’s M27 bolt and barrel were made of Vibranium!
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#16]
-100 for a weak ass rant. You win no internets. You probably liked Justice League.... that's a steaming pile of shit!

You seriously just caught on to allowing black people into movies? Wow. And you came here to cry about it? If you set aside your hate, Jedi, it was arguably one of the best Marvel flicks ever.

And, by the way, who cares what race they are? Oh wait, you do.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thats because the indians back then were drunk from too much fire water. But i believe in the 70's there started to be more indians playing indians. The guy who played Charlie Chan in the 50's was a good actor. But i'd have rather seen an asian cast in that role. Not a white guy with the corners of his eyes pulled back!
View Quote
So if they were the best actress/actor for the job it's okay right? I bet that young lady was the best actress who was willing to be paid what she got to be in marvel movie. I could be wrong but either way it was a small enough role. That a diversity hire wouldn't have bothered me.

Quoted:

Imagine if Hk’s M27 bolt and barrel were made of Vibranium!
View Quote
Depends on which version they use but maybe not a good idea because one absorbs forces and the other reflects them. That would make recoil and bolt operation weird new challenges.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Blazing saddles sucked too!   A black sheriff???  
View Quote
Who can outsmart a white governor?

INCONCEIVABLE!

Link Posted: 12/18/2017 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think it’s interesting that you claim to have some understanding of Norse mythology, and you are bothered by something as trivial as the skin color of a couple of actors, when the film has HUGE deviations from actual Norse mythology.

The fact that in actual Norse mythology Loki is NOT Thor’s foster brother, but Odin’s foster brother doesn’t bother you?

The fact that in actual Norse mythology Thor is NOT single and chasing human chicks, but instead married to Sif doesn’t bother you?

But the race of a couple of actors does?  That seems odd.

Don’t get me wrong, I totally get that it might seem a little “off” to have non-white actors playing Valkyries and whatever, but those just seem like such minor “violations” of the mythology compared to the bigger issues.
View Quote
That and Hela (Hel) was Lokis daughter.,. Shit the only thing close to the original mythology are the names.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Exactly.

And where are Thor’s goats?  And his gloves and belt?
View Quote
They were stolen. If Heimdallr had a son
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Huh, weird. I thought it was hilarious and probably my favorite Marvel movie yet.  I didn't even think about the character supposed to being white since they're Norse gods.  Meh.  Both those characters were great.  I didn't think for one moment about it being a social justice thing.  It's a fictional over-the-top alien universe. I'm ok with them changing the race of a character.  Meh.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, its really going to blow your mind that Jane Foster becomes Thor for Infinity War Part 2, following the comics.

Link Posted: 12/18/2017 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, its really going to blow your mind that Jane Foster becomes Thor for Infinity War Part 2, following the comics.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/d5/0f/25/d50f25ab2d58119f439eb50fc16a6959--female-thor-jane-foster.jpg
View Quote
I doubt it.  Natalie Portman isn't coming back and I doubt they recast Jane Foster.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Next up, a black female "Dirty Harriet" reboot and you're racist and sexist if you don't like it better than the original.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Jesus, GD hates everything.

Thor Ragnarok was fantastic. One of the best Marvel movies.

Also the whole Goddess of the Dead thing is really working for Cate Blanchett.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I doubt it.  Natalie Portman isn't coming back and I doubt they recast Jane Foster.
View Quote
Shhhhhhh
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Let's see here. GD's. Number is 87, for some unknown reason.

88 has long been associated with white supremacists.

Is GD almost white supremacists?
View Quote
I say we end all this racist bullshit.

Let's have a black guy play Eisenhower
And
A white guy play MLK

Do that and with MLK and see who screams the loudest and riot.

The whites with IKE would just shake their heads in disgust but do nothing.

fuck it's only Hollywood since when have they actually stuck to telling the truth in any movie

I mean even though I've never in any documentaries or history books seen vikings portrayed as black it's ok for Hollywood to be politically correct and fuck up or screw with anything they want right. Just to please who ever.

Like in the last Fantastic 4 movie, the THE HUMAN TORCH Johnny has always been was written as a BLOND HAIRED BLUE EYED guy. But who gives a shit. Just to be politically correct lets fuck up the way it was written and make the Torch Black.

Some it bothered some it didn't,  did it take away from the character of the Human Torch absolutely in my opinion and many others. It was not the same.

So does that make me an ass for thinking you should stick to the script of characters no. I think it should be done the way it was written. It's called originality

This is what the OP is voicing and you guys are being dicks about it. He's not being racist. But then again this is GD I find it entertaining at times.

But in the end. Yes it's just a stupid movie OP and it is Hollywood. I would not sweat it. Like I've always said. If you do not like a post or a movie. Simplyndo not read it or watch. They own it and have right to do as they want.

I'm waiting till it comes out on RedBox
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Exactly.

And where are Thor's goats?  And his gloves and belt?
View Quote
I'm sympathetic to anger at deviating from source material - if I ever see Peter Jackson in the street REM will write a song entitled "Fucking Sandworms? You Douchebag!"

But it's not like the comics were original source material.  Getting pissed off because a pop-culture copy (sorry, pastiche) isn't staying racially true to a *previous* pop culture copy seems to be an attitude looking for an excuse to vent.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Doug (the OP) is missing the good ol days

Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm sympathetic to anger at deviating from source material - if I ever see Peter Jackson in the street REM will write a song entitled "Fucking Sandworms? You Douchebag!"

But it's not like the comics were original source material.  Getting pissed off because a pop-culture copy (sorry, pastiche) isn't staying racially true to a *previous* pop culture copy seems to be an attitude looking for an excuse to vent.
View Quote
Yep, don't get me wrong OP I don't think you are racist.

It's just a stupid thing to care about in this case.

My willing suspension of disbelief was more damaged by skurge's obviously magical duel wielded m16s (dude shot way more than 20 or 30 rounds without reloading) than the non-aryan Valkyrie.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I thought it was OK, Not the worse marvel movie, not the best either, but it was entertaining for the couple of hours.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Wind River was ok.

Needed more Jeff Goldblum though.
View Quote
And some black Indians.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Goldblum?

Sounds kind of Jewey for a Norse character if you ask me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm sorry that some of the gay space vikings were the wrong color.

What a terrible perversion of a terrible perversion of Norse mythos. I know you only wanted it to be terribly perverted once, not twice.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Exactly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it’s interesting that you claim to have some understanding of Norse mythology, and you are bothered by something as trivial as the skin color of a couple of actors, when the film has HUGE deviations from actual Norse mythology.

The fact that in actual Norse mythology Loki is NOT Thor’s foster brother, but Odin’s foster brother doesn’t bother you?

The fact that in actual Norse mythology Thor is NOT single and chasing human chicks, but instead married to Sif doesn’t bother you?

Don’t get me wrong, I totally get that it might seem a little “off” to have non-white actors playing Valkyries and whatever, but those just seem like such minor “violations” of the mythology compared to the bigger issues.
That and Hela (Hel) was Lokis daughter.,. Shit the only thing close to the original mythology are the names.
Exactly.

Link Posted: 12/18/2017 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Goldblum?

Sounds kind of Jewey for a Norse character if you ask me.
View Quote
He doesn’t play a Norse character.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Dude it wasn't real unless a charcthers race has something to do with the plot then their race doesn't matter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously that movie was lame. But being that many have become accustomed to dumbed down humor, music etc... you start thinking that mediocre movies are great. Compared to what? Other mediocre movies that really just plain suck, but you think they are great, because they are better than the last turd!

I do love you newer members calling me racist for voicing my thoughts. You will fit right in with the SJW's out there. Someone doesn't agree with you RACIST! Right? BTW here is how the Heimdall I grew up with looked in the comic books.
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.the-blueprints.com%2F.%2Fblueprints-depot%2Fhumans%2Fcomic-book-characters%2Fheimdall.gif&f=1
Dude it wasn't real unless a charcthers race has something to do with the plot then their race doesn't matter
You should probably read up on Norse mythology. Real person? no. Heavily engrained in certain cultures that are not respected because of the color of their skin?  Yes.  At least Stan Lee respected the classics he drew from.
I dont share the OPs rage, but I understand it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You need to watch Wind River then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best Movie I saw this year. OP needs to focus less on race and more on plot, acting and action sequence.
You need to watch Wind River then.
Wot he said.

watched it last night. Wind River is an amazing movie.
how close to factual is it ? Anybody know?
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think it's interesting that you claim to have some understanding of Norse mythology, and you are bothered by something as trivial as the skin color of a couple of actors, when the film has HUGE deviations from actual Norse mythology.

The fact that in actual Norse mythology Loki is NOT Thor's foster brother, but Odin's foster brother doesn't bother you?

The fact that in actual Norse mythology Thor is NOT single and chasing human chicks, but instead married to Sif doesn't bother you?

Don't get me wrong, I totally get that it might seem a little "off" to have non-white actors playing Valkyries and whatever, but those just seem like such minor "violations" of the mythology compared to the bigger issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many Valkyrie  has OP personally met?

How do you know they were white?  Maybe they were just trying to avoid hurting your feelings.

Maybe they're bugs.  Wasps.

which brings us nearly full circle.
Maybe you are just "acting" stupid? I have read up on Norse mythology long ago and remember enough that they were fair skinned as most Vikings were.
You know I mentioned the skin color as an aside, but some people here think it's fine to change things as they see fit.
I think it's interesting that you claim to have some understanding of Norse mythology, and you are bothered by something as trivial as the skin color of a couple of actors, when the film has HUGE deviations from actual Norse mythology.

The fact that in actual Norse mythology Loki is NOT Thor's foster brother, but Odin's foster brother doesn't bother you?

The fact that in actual Norse mythology Thor is NOT single and chasing human chicks, but instead married to Sif doesn't bother you?

Don't get me wrong, I totally get that it might seem a little "off" to have non-white actors playing Valkyries and whatever, but those just seem like such minor "violations" of the mythology compared to the bigger issues.
Like I originally said Idris Elba is a good actor and I let it go even with the obvious issues. Loki is a still family. Thor getting some human on the side, well when lust is a must.
Maybe it's all this SJW BLM etc... bull shit. It has made me quite jaded and dis-trustful of the left and all they produce.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#43]
And as Marvel movies go, the original Dare Devil was better, that's how bad it sucked ass. During the whole plodding 2 1/2 hours not one chuckle or titter out of the audience. Even with those awesome jokes they told! Oh and lest we forget the budding bromance between Thor and Hulk that went on for how fucking long?
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Cate Blanchett as Hela was smoking hot.

Really liked the rest of it.  Probably not the best Marvel movie to me, I think Guardians was better.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
And as Marvel movies go, the original Dare Devil was better, that's how bad it sucked ass. During the whole plodding 2 1/2 hours not one chuckle or titter out of the audience. Even with those awesome jokes they told! Oh and lest we forget the budding bromance between Thor and Hulk that went on for how fucking long?
View Quote
Wait... the Ben Affleck Daredevil?  
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I honestly don't believe that. The audience laughed out loud multiple times when I saw it...and most people in this thread liked it as well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The movie in which Michael Clarke Duncan plays Kingpin.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#48]
A bunch of non-wearing hat indoors, men not allowed athletic shoes in public Glock hating fools in here
Thor: Ragnarok Teaser Trailer [HD]

If this trailer doesn't spike your adrenaline maybe your balls haven't dropped
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Like I originally said Idris Elba is a good actor and I let it go even with the obvious issues. Loki is a still family. Thor getting some human on the side, well when lust is a must.
Maybe it's all this SJW BLM etc... bull shit. It has made me quite jaded and dis-trustful of the left and all they produce.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many Valkyrie  has OP personally met?

How do you know they were white?  Maybe they were just trying to avoid hurting your feelings.

Maybe they're bugs.  Wasps.

which brings us nearly full circle.
Maybe you are just "acting" stupid? I have read up on Norse mythology long ago and remember enough that they were fair skinned as most Vikings were.
You know I mentioned the skin color as an aside, but some people here think it's fine to change things as they see fit.

So the fact that Valkyries were essentially angels that took fallen warriors to the afterlife and *NOT* some elite female Odin-force doesn't blimp at all.  Nor does the complete botchery of Norse mythology.  But skin color is what bothers you?  You'll write off the family relations as "still family" but "still humanoid" isn't good enough for the Valkyrie or Heimdallr?

Describe again how that isn't racist?
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What a steaming pile of dog shit! I put up with a black Norse god. But a light skinned short black Valkyrie! They were all white women. Marvel stop with this bullshit! That said, they tried to make it funny and it didn't work. This will be the last Marvel film I see without doing research with reviews read first. Or I'll just wait for the DVD. Sad with how good they all started out, just to suck so bad!
View Quote
You see when the Vikings invaded Ethiopia.....
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top