Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Watched about 45 minutes of the hateful eight last night... horrible
View Quote
I agree. I *love* Tarantino's stories, his direction, cinematography and particularly his casting. I can't think of a single movie or short he's done that I don't like.... Except *that* movie. I have never actually been able to finish it.

The very meaning of life might be revealed in the last 45 seconds of that piece of shit but, fuck if I'll ever find out. And I've tried, like 5 fucking times.

Just a shit movie.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Slum Dog Millionaire:  I never saw it, and still haven’t, and until the awards I had never even heard of it, and that’s the problem, if it was so good, why was it unknown?  This is not the only movie like this, I’m just using this one as an example.  I see this as an indicator of an “art film” that is popular with hipsters at film festivals, and that is all, no general appeal.
View Quote
Thread title "Movies that were popular but actually sucked"

OP's answer: "Slum dog Millionaire must have been terrible because it wasn't popular. Haven't seen it though, lol!"

FWIW I haven't seen it, but this logic is just
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anything related to The Fast and Furious.
View Quote
FPNI X 87
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not super critical of movies usually. I go to be entertained and have pretty low expectations. That said, I remember when Superbad came out and everyone loved it....it's mediocre at best for me.

I'm going to catch all kinds of hell for this, but Caddyshack has a few good parts in it and that's about it. Rodney Dangerfield drives me up the wall for some reason.

I'll also add that I don't really have an issue with a minor love story sub plot in war movies (Enemy at the Gates' love story was super minor) the reason being when you deploy in real life, the relationships back home play a HUGE role in the deployed man's mindset. It's not unrealistic to have it in a movie IMO.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

OP's answer: "Slum dog Millionaire must have been terrible because it wasn't popular. Haven't seen it though, lol!"

View Quote
Read the first part of the OP.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
There Will be Blood
The Big Lebowski
The Godfather, Part 2
Lost in Translation
Dumb and Dumber
District 9
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Cast Away.

/thread
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Twister,dump every stupid tornado cliche into a 90 minute dodge truck comercial
View Quote
None of that shit matters.
Helen Hunt of that vintage is all that matters.

Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cast Away.

/thread
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No Country for Old Men is in my top 5!

Avatar is the kind of movie that came to my mind when I read your thread title.
View Quote
This. Avatar comes to mind as does The Force Awakens. I haven't seen The Last Jedi and probably won't bother while it's in theatres. I've read a bunch of spoilers and it sounds bad. You wouldn't think it would be hard to make a universally acclaimed Star Wars movie, but instead they insist on making divisive crap in an attempt to appeal to people who don't even care about Star Wars in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cast Away.

/thread
View Quote
Your opinions bad and you should feel bad.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Heat

Rambo
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Was that movie suckfest 'popular?'
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watched about 45 minutes of the hateful eight last night... horrible
Was that movie suckfest 'popular?'
It was worth it to watch Samuel L Jackson get shoot in the balls.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Deer Hunter. Art house shit that some people were duped into believing was a good war movie, or just a good movie in general. Absolutely suck fest.
View Quote
Its a movie about Russian roulette not war
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There Will be Blood
The Big Lebowski
The Godfather, Part 2
Lost in Translation
Dumb and Dumber
District 9
View Quote
Troll post

anyways, all the John Wayne movies
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I did, doesn't change the logic fail on your judgement of Slumdog.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Almost all of them.

Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Generation Kill and American Sniper.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't know, Platoon is overrated, but it's entertaining

"It ain't dere, it's dear, and Sarah ain't got no two r's King, Damn you dumb!"

"That's all right, she know what I mean, she don't read to good no how!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Platoon

Just rewatched it this weekend and while a lot of faces became big stars, it tried to hard to be artsy while showing the atrocities and hardships of Vietnam.

I hope I never see it again
I don't know, Platoon is overrated, but it's entertaining

"It ain't dere, it's dear, and Sarah ain't got no two r's King, Damn you dumb!"

"That's all right, she know what I mean, she don't read to good no how!"
Everybody got to die some day Red
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Every stupid ass comic book super hero movie...
and Heath Ledger lived about year too long to save humanity from the suckfest that was his performance as the joker
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Pulp Fiction
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same thing I was going to say. NCFOM is almost perfect.

Avatar was a lame noble savage story.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Skyfall
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Saving Private Ryan. Tons of good true stories Spielberg could have told about World War Two and he makes up a stupid one. Other than the opening scene with the Normandy landings a lot of the action scenes aren't even that great and kind of ridiculous. "Hey, let's charge head on at this machine gun nest for no reason."
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#27]
What's the purpose of movie-making? Is it to create art? No. It's to make money for the people who produce and finance it. Therefore, by that measurement, any movie that's popular is therefore a good movie.
If you're referring to artist merit, then that's another argument. Even then, people can have very different opinions. Just read the user reviews on IMDB for almost any movie.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
John Wick, and John Wick II.  If I want to watch a video game being played out, I'll tune into that pooter guy's YouTube channel.
View Quote
This, but I don't know who pooter is.  And John Wick is not a very popular movie outside of this site.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Forrest Gump.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Terminator 2 and after
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pulp Fiction
View Quote
You've got to be kidding.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This. Hated it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Big Lebowski
This. Hated it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Every one of the Star Trek movies, including the reboots, with the exception of The Wrath of Khan
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Star Wars
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Most of them. This is going to be a long thread. A much shorter list would be good movies.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What's the purpose of movie-making? Is it to create art? No. It's to make money for the people who produce and finance it. Therefore, by that measurement, any movie that's popular is therefore a good movie.
If you're referring to artist merit, then that's another argument. Even then, people can have very different opinions. Just read the user reviews on IMDB for almost any movie.
View Quote
This is actually true, but only broadly. They are fine with churning out money losing crap for virtue signaling. The movies that are good cinema art AND make money are almost without exception resented and were fought against in production.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Losing money on crap is simply written off against the profits from ones that make money, so it's basically a no-lose.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:52:04 PM EDT
[#39]
The English Patient
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah I did, doesn't change the logic fail on your judgement of Slumdog.
View Quote
The premise of the OP are movies that were popular but actually suck OR movies that sucked yet were treated like epic block busters by the critics and the awards.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#41]
I saw Slum Dog Millionaire in the theaters, pretty sure it was before any awards. I was floored by the visuals, and glad they don’t have smell-o-vision yet. Great movie.

Overrated shit? Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was a sub par example of the genre, overhyped by a fawning western press who hadn’t never seen better examples.

Also, another vote for Avatar. Impressive technical achievement, sure - but derivative and cliche storyline and overall shit movie.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Saving Private Ryan. Tons of good true stories Spielberg could have told about World War Two and he makes up a stupid one. Other than the opening scene with the Normandy landings a lot of the action scenes aren't even that great and kind of ridiculous. "Hey, let's charge head on at this machine gun nest for no reason."
View Quote
It was actual Inspire by a real event, but not directly about it.

Look up the Sullivan brothers.  5 Brothers joined the navy, all were stationed on the same ship, 4 were killed in the same attack.  The survivor was discharged and sent home.  That incident is the reason the navy won’t let siblings serve on the same ship anymore.  It is also what U.S.S. The Sullivans is named after.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:48:09 AM EDT
[#43]
All of them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#44]
All of them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Lord of the Rings movies, all of them.

They sucked balls.
View Quote
I had the same opinion of the books as a kid - couldn’t get through ’em.

Was more impressed by the backstory and world building stuff than the actual story. Still am.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:50:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Pearl harbor.  I dont understand how so many people enjoyed that movie.
View Quote
I know a guy that was there "in the original cast" as he put it.....His review of the movie was...."as entertainment..it was okay, as history?...didn't even come close"
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:58:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This. Avatar comes to mind as does The Force Awakens. I haven't seen The Last Jedi and probably won't bother while it's in theatres. I've read a bunch of spoilers and it sounds bad. You wouldn't think it would be hard to make a universally acclaimed Star Wars movie, but instead they insist on making divisive crap in an attempt to appeal to people who don't even care about Star Wars in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d argue it’s extremely difficult to make anything that is “universally acclaimed,” especially when people attach so much emotional nonsense to it. The Last Jedi was very good. Only thing I wish they’d really done differently was let Leia die - especially in post production after Carrie Fisher did. Stop reading all the Conservative Justice Warrior internet triggered butthurt.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:02:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Deer Hunter. Art house shit that some people were duped into believing was a good war movie, or just a good movie in general. Absolutely suck fest.
It’s a movie about friendship and trauma, and the latter’s effect on the former.

The same basic story could be told if the town experienced an earthquake or severe storm.

The war was just the vehicle to put people through various extreme situations.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:03:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Every one of the Star Trek movies, including the reboots, with the exception of The Wrath of Khan
View Quote

I actually fell asleep during the three hour approach to V'ger in STTMP.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It was actual Inspire by a real event, but not directly about it.

Look up the Sullivan brothers.  5 Brothers joined the navy, all were stationed on the same ship, 4 were killed in the same attack.  The survivor was discharged and sent home.  That incident is the reason the navy won’t let siblings serve on the same ship anymore.  It is also what U.S.S. The Sullivans is named after.
View Quote
The oldest Sullivan brother survived the sinking of the Juneau...he went crazy looking for his brothers, and swam off from the rest of the survivors, disappeared.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top