BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the purpose of movie-making? Is it to create art? No. It's to make money for the people who produce and finance it. Therefore, by that measurement, any movie that's popular is therefore a good movie.
If you're referring to artist merit, then that's another argument. Even then, people can have very different opinions. Just read the user reviews on IMDB for almost any movie.
View Quote
“Good” is a subjective value judgment.

It is not synonymous with “profitable.”
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Dirty Dancing. Seriously.  Sucked bad.  Every woman in SW Virginia fucking made at least one trip to Mountain Lake over in Giles Co. over that half-ass, awful fucking movie.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:20:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I liked the newer one way better than the old one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Both Red Dawns.

Lets get this party started!
FUCKING HERETIC!!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:21:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Overrated shit? Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was a sub par example of the genre, overhyped by a fawning western press who hadn’t never seen better examples.
View Quote
you're hurting my heart, brother. peak wuxia, i can't think of a better one.  hero went harder.  ashes of time, maybe? red cliff?  help me out here.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:22:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The oldest Sullivan brother survived the sinking of the Juneau...he went crazy looking for his brothers, and swam off from the rest of the survivors, disappeared.
View Quote
Your right, I forgot about that part.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:25:46 AM EDT
[#6]
All those Caddyshack, National Lampoons & Weekend @ Bernie’s movies - were retarded.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:34:29 AM EDT
[#7]
The original True Grit. So badly acted, I can't bring myself to re-watch it. Honestly, it's pathetic.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:37:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Star Wars Phantom menace
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:38:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No Country for Old Men is in my top 5!

Avatar is the kind of movie that came to my mind when I read your thread title.
View Quote
I say avatar or shitty star wars movies. Maybe when I was 8, Ive tried to watch them all in the last 10 years and cant do it

Op is wrong on slumdog and 1000 corpses. Decent movies
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:39:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Jurassic World
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:04:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Star wars episode 7: The Force Awakens.

Sometimes I think I am in a parallel universe where I'm the only one who sees it's just a cheap copy of the 1977 Star Wars- cute robot wandering around the desert secretly carrying important data, cantina scene with weird aliens, sneaking into an imperial base to rescue a prisoner, bad guy in a black helmet, important character dramatically getting killed, etc etc etc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:04:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
you're hurting my heart, brother. peak wuxia, i can't think of a better one.  hero went harder.  ashes of time, maybe? red cliff?  help me out here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overrated shit? Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was a sub par example of the genre, overhyped by a fawning western press who hadn’t never seen better examples.
Peak came later with Hero. Pure art.

Speaking of Jet Li, his Once Upon a Time in China and The Swordsman movies are good examples I’ll throw out. Saw nothing in Crouching Tiger to make it warrant the fuss it got compared to them. Hell, Shaolin Soccer (which came out about the same time as Crouching Tiger) had better wire work.

Most of the reviews and attention it got in the West seemed to be due to its themes being new to the critics, more of a distribution and marketing coup than anything (not that a movie like Once Upon a Time in China had a chance in hell of gaining a Western following).

And how could a movie like Crouching Tiger get so much attention while the following year’s Musa - with international distribution even arranged by Tarantino - went nowhere? Now there’s a superior film by every measure... though might be my Korean and Silk Road history bias showing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:12:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sometimes I think I am in a parallel universe where I'm the only one who sees it's just a cheap copy of the 1977 Star Wars- cute robot wandering around the desert secretly carrying important data, cantina scene with weird aliens, sneaking into an imperial base to rescue a prisoner, bad guy in a black helmet, important character dramatically getting killed, etc etc etc.
View Quote
I’m pretty sure everyone saw that bit, but its balancing of the cliches with the introduction of the new setting and characters, while resurrecting the visual style of the originals, is what made it so great as a reboot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:22:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It was actual Inspire by a real event, but not directly about it.

Look up the Sullivan brothers.  5 Brothers joined the navy, all were stationed on the same ship, 4 were killed in the same attack.  The survivor was discharged and sent home.  That incident is the reason the navy won’t let siblings serve on the same ship anymore.  It is also what U.S.S. The Sullivans is named after.
View Quote
That's not a true statement. We had several sets of sibling brothers on the USS Wabash AOR5 back in the 80s.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:23:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Any Godfather
Any of the slave movies
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:26:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Titanic or Avatar.

Back in the day Twister was basically a re-telling of Moby Dick but with tornados instead of a whale and Oklahoma instead of the ocean.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:27:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Star Wars
View Quote
My first thought also.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:29:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Avatar was highly overrated.  Very lazy remaking of westerns with the bad old white man being the root of all evil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
avatar and titanic immediately spring to mind.
Avatar was highly overrated.  Very lazy remaking of westerns with the bad old white man being the root of all evil.
Although I really liked it, it ended up being Pocahontas in space.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:32:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Peak came later with Hero. Pure art.

Speaking of Jet Li, his Once Upon a Time in China and The Swordsman movies are good examples I’ll throw out. Saw nothing in Crouching Tiger to make it warrant the fuss it got compared to them. Hell, Shaolin Soccer (which came out about the same time as Crouching Tiger) had better wire work.

Most of the reviews and attention it got in the West seemed to be due to its themes being new to the critics, more of a distribution and marketing coup than anything (not that a movie like Once Upon a Time in China had a chance in hell of gaining a Western following).

And how could a movie like Crouching Tiger get so much attention while the following year’s Musa - with international distribution even arranged by Tarantino - went nowhere? Now there’s a superior film by every measure... though might be my Korean and Silk Road history bias showing.
View Quote
No worries, shaolin soccer kicked ass.
So did Kung fu hustle, Kungpow (still makes me want to get an adult pair of squeaky shoes), hell even chandni chowk to china was better.

If you want a laugh till you piss zombie movie check out bio zombie on dvd and turn on the engrish sub titles.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:34:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lord of the Rings movies, all of them.

They sucked balls.
View Quote
Yup.  Utter shit.  Peter Jackson should be beaten in the town square.  With a hose.  Beaten with a rubber damn hose.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:39:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
avatar and titanic immediately spring to mind.
View Quote
Now you might not have noticed it... but your brain did.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:42:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
With the worst of the 80's Brat Pack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Both Red Dawns.

First one is pure 80’s at it’s best
With the worst of the 80's Brat Pack.
Red Dawn is really hard to grasp if one didn't live the tension of the Cold War. And though Molly has my heart, she wouldn't have fit into the masterpiece that is the original, the only, Red Dawn/
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 4:37:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Big Lebowski
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 5:21:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The premise of the OP are movies that were popular but actually suck OR movies that sucked yet were treated like epic block busters by the critics and the awards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I did, doesn't change the logic fail on your judgement of Slumdog.
The premise of the OP are movies that were popular but actually suck OR movies that sucked yet were treated like epic block busters by the critics and the awards.
Yet you never watched it to know. But it sucked because of some ridiculous SAC logic.

Maybe you should watch it and make up your own mind.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is how I saw it. I too wondered why others did not see it that way as well. Additionally, no chick that looks like Rey  is going to make a living scavenging in a desert. Not in this or any other Galaxy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
People in Hollywood only vote for those inside their tribe to win. Talent is meaningless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
99.9999% of every movie nominated for an Oscar in the past 30+ years.
People in Hollywood only vote for those inside their tribe to win. Talent is meaningless.
Yep.  Most films containing libtards or having libtard themes always seem to get the retro rockets from the media, critics and all the award shows.

Earliest one I can recall that has been hyped into the stratosphere, forever, is Casablanca.  Bogart was a leftwinger. His old lady, Bacall, was too.

I recall the hype over that movie Streisand made once.  Yentl, I think it was called.  Man, that was a piece of work, but it got the whole media festoonage, glitter and roll out.

Titanic was another. I never understood the fascination my fellow countrymen had for that film or even the actual ship wreck.  The ship wreck was a major event back in the day, but why it occupies so much space in American culture, I will never understand. Must've been a large compliment of communists onboard is all I can figure.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Eraserhead. What a steaming pile of shit.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Titanic - damn boat sank at the end.
View Quote
It's not just that but everyone that was watching knew it was going to sink
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It was actual Inspire by a real event, but not directly about it.

Look up the Sullivan brothers.  5 Brothers joined the navy, all were stationed on the same ship, 4 were killed in the same attack.  The survivor was discharged and sent home.  That incident is the reason the navy won’t let siblings serve on the same ship anymore.  It is also what U.S.S. The Sullivans is named after.
View Quote
No, there was no survivor to be sent home. All 5 died.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There Will be Blood
The Big Lebowski
The Godfather, Part 2 The Godfather, Part 3
Lost in Translation
Dumb and Dumber
District 9
View Quote
Surely that was a typing error on your part.  I fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#31]
<td width="40%">
</td><td width="35%" align="right">
</td><td width="25%" align="right">
</td><td width="40%">
</td><td width="25%" align="right">
</td><td colspan="3" width="100%">
</td><td width="40%">
</td><td width="25%"> </td>
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#32]
The last Jedi
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your 'logic' escapes me.

My logic is:

1.  Slumdog made over $377,000,000 worldwide.  That qualifies it as a popular movie.
2.  You've never seen it.  That disqualifies you as being worthy to judge whether it was 'good.'
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm a big space nerd, but I couldn't make it through Gravity.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm a big space nerd, but I couldn't make it through Gravity.
View Quote
Gravity was the anti-The Martian.

It was impressive for its visuals... but wow you really had to suspend disbelief related to any basic knowledge or orbital mechanics or even high school physics.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Caddyshack. Tried to watch it on Amazon Prime. Turned it off half way through.

Bough a copy of Escape from New York on DVD. Sucked pretty bad.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Pulp Fiction
View Quote
Yep. I personally hated the movie, and while it was quotable, I hated the movie and all of the copycat movies it spawned.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Apocalypse Now

I think I fell asleep 3 times during that boring F'in movie.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Big Lebowski
View Quote
That movie sucks ass, can't believe so many twits think it's even was watchable.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Thor Ragnarok. What an awful turd of a movie. Bad acting by many, moronic plot I felt cheated watching it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#42]
star wars
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Pearl harbor.  I dont understand how so many people enjoyed that movie.
View Quote
It was a bait-and-switch. 90% of the theater I went to was men looking for a good war movie in the 2000's. Then it turned into a stupid three way gang bang with a cuck taking care of another man's baby.

Perfect war movie materials, right there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Legends of the Fall.

I thought it kind of redeemed itself with that cool shootout ending, but then it kept going and got even worse.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Inglorious Basterds.

Stupid and predictable, plus Tarantino is an overrated douche.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Hunger Games (all)

No Country for Old Men

Babel

English Patient

Bridges of Madison County
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
FUCKING HERETIC!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Both Red Dawns.

FUCKING HERETIC!!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No Country for Old Men
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Titanic - damn boat sank at the end.
View Quote
Spoiler Alert!  Please.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top