Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
THFRO and Shawshank Redemption are two movies that no matter what is happening, the channel isn't changing until it's done.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Great movie.  I was just talking about it with a coworker the other day.  Red Storm Rising was brought up too.  Definitely need to watch and/or read those again.

ETA-  And Team Yankee.  Fuck I need to stop watching Jordan Peterson and get on the nostalgia boat.
View Quote

And Red Army, and Bright Star, and Team Yankee...

Ah the good ol' days, good solid reading for those slow days in the Dust Bowl at NTC..
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You guys thought the movie was good, you should read the book. The book is 87 times better than the movie.

Hell all the Clancy books are better than their movies by a long ways. The worst part is that the movies butcher the books badly.

I'm on executive orders right now.

All that said, The Hunt for Red October is probably still one of my favorite movies, even though Alec Baldwin's a big fucking piece of shit.

One of my greatest wishes is that Netflix or Amazon decides to pick up the Jack Ryan series, and be true to the books. Oh shit that would be an amazing day.
View Quote
The original Clancy works are some of my favorites.    The ghost written ones are way off that mark.  Not only much less captivating, they’re not of my era, they’re much more fake modern, so I cannot identify with them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Its spelled "bulletch".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Be careful Ryan, most things in here dont react well to bullets" !!!
Its spelled "bulletch".
 Yes pronounced with an authentic Highland Russo-Scottish accent.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Who said anything about sabotage?

Captain!

Tim Curry was a damn good "rah rah" man.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You guys thought the movie was good, you should read the book. The book is 87 times better than the movie.

Hell all the Clancy books are better than their movies by a long ways. The worst part is that the movies butcher the books badly.

All that said, The Hunt for Red October is probably still one of my favorite movies, even though Alec Baldwin's a big fucking piece of shit.

One of my greatest wishes is that Netflix or Amazon decides to pick up the Jack Ryan series, and be true to the books. Oh shit that would be an amazing day.
View Quote
I read the book when I was 10 or 11. Should read it again.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I read the book right after the movie came out.  I should dig it out and read it again.  Just watched the Blu-Ray about a month ago.  Looks outstanding on Blu-ray.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Sigh, got hooked on the restored version of Lawrence of Arabia last evening.....The next thing I knew it was midnight.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD_AejDc1fA
View Quote
His authorized biography is good as well - a Syrian friend of mine gave it to me and I read it while I was in Iraq.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To fit the stories into a 2.5hr movie, there have to be major changes to them.
To be true to the books, they'd have to be a season long series.
I think the most of the movies were good considering the changes to the stories.

Did you know about Amazon's upcoming Jack Ryan series?
Doesn't seem to based on the books.

Recent thread about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To fit the stories into a 2.5hr movie, there have to be major changes to them.
To be true to the books, they'd have to be a season long series.
I think the most of the movies were good considering the changes to the stories.

Did you know about Amazon's upcoming Jack Ryan series?
Doesn't seem to based on the books.

Recent thread about it.
That's my main bitch. Nothing on screen has been accurate to the books yet. He'll make it as long as they need to be for mini series. The novels are masterpieces. I wish they would make the movies or shows accurate to pay homage to them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Its spelled "bulletch".
View Quote
That made me laugh.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
No doubt.

Something about an early rainy morning, pot of joe, I will occasionally put Red October on.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Was on the phone with the wife yesterday.  I could hear her turn signal in the background.  I asked if she was making a left turn and she was like, "How did you know that?"  I told her, "Crazy Ivan, you alway go left in the top half of the hour."

She didn't get it
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#13]
It's probably been said a dozen times here, but read the book. It's even better than the movie.

Another good Tom Clancy book is "The Sum Of All Fears". The movie version sucked big time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Was on the phone with the wife yesterday.  I could hear her turn signal in the background.  I asked if she was making a left turn and she was like, "How did you know that?"  I told her, "Crazy Ivan, you alway go left in the top half of the hour."

She didn't get it
View Quote
She got it. She just didn't want to confirm that you'd figured her out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Another good Tom Clancy book is "The Sum Of All Fears". The movie version sucked big time.
View Quote
The commentary Clancy did with the director is quite entertaining.
He introduces himself as "the writer of the book they ignored."
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's probably been said a dozen times here, but read the book. It's even better than the movie.

View Quote
Clancy's audio commentary on "The Sum of All Fears" alone makes it worth owning.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sigh, got hooked on the restored version of Lawrence of Arabia last evening.....The next thing I knew it was midnight.  

View Quote

There are lessons to be learned from that...in regards to policy and expectations in the Middle East.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I finally read the book 2 years ago. I was blown away how much more awesome it was and the movie was completely awesome!
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I still want a mini-series of Red Storm Rising, I don't care if it'd have to be considered "alt-history" at this point.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, so you are saying you are a quitter?

No one likes a quitter.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No one likes a quitter.
View Quote
Now it's up to you, Jose, but you might consider cuttin' the kid a little slack.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Now it's up to you, Jose, but you might consider cuttin' the kid a little slack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one likes a quitter.
[golf clap]
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Problem is, I probably won't enjoy the movie then.

I can't stand Clear and Present Danger (Movie) after I read the book.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one likes a quitter.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
1. The scenes showing the periscope sending Morse code? That was my boat. I was still in Power School when the movie came out though.

2. If you guys knew what sonar really sounded like you'd be disappointed.
View Quote
What does SONAR really sound like?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Next time Jack, PUT IT IN A MEMO!
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#27]
"Be careful Ryan.  This place does not react well to bullets."

"Be careful what I shoot at?"
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I still want a mini-series of Red Storm Rising, I don't care if it'd have to be considered "alt-history" at this point.
View Quote
Seconded. That was a hell of a good book.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"Be careful Ryan.  This place does not react well to bullets."

"Be careful what I shoot at?"
View Quote
"Yeah, like me! I don't react well to bullets!..."
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aw fuck I was pissed too. How in the fuck did the producer and the director not include the part with the mini guns. Fucking ass holes. I watch the movie immediately after finishing the book because I haven't watched that movie in a very very long time. God I was pissed then too. May as well call it a different title. Because it didn't share Jack or shit with the book.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Aw fuck I was pissed too. How in the fuck did the producer and the director not include the part with the mini guns. Fucking ass holes. I watch the movie immediately after finishing the book because I haven't watched that movie in a very very long time. God I was pissed then too. May as well call it a different title. Because it didn't share Jack or shit with the book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jack also never went to Congress to spill the beans like a goody too shoes.

The whole movie just sucked. Very disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sigh, got hooked on the restored version of Lawrence of Arabia last evening.....The next thing I knew it was midnight.  

View Quote
I'd never watched it before. Found it and probably watched it 10 times in 2 months. What an excellent film.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Unless you live alone in a cabin you built by hand 40 years ago in the Alaskan wilderness, you're Lithuanian by birth, and raised by your paternal grandfather, a fisherman...  this is a fail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I' ve never seen the movie.
Unless you live alone in a cabin you built by hand 40 years ago in the Alaskan wilderness, you're Lithuanian by birth, and raised by your paternal grandfather, a fisherman...  this is a fail.
FIFY!  
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
FIFY!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I' ve never seen the movie.
FIFY!  
Paternal grandmother, the fisherman was an old man he befriended when he was shunned for being a snitch.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 2:31:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha.....I know..... Lol. I fucking yelled at the TV right at the beginning of the movie. When the F-18 is overhead I  said oh fuck me it's the wrong plane... Nothing about how the Jet got there, nothing about Robbie Jackson, just nothing. Nothing about the badass coasties either.....

Then ding and Mr C are there with the Illuminator right off of the fucking gate......., then I got extra pissed. I had to hit the pause button and walk away. I haven't watched that movie in at least 15 years and forgot about it. I'll have to track down the Tom Clancy commentary. I could see why he would be mouthy, because they really didn't follow the story that much at all.

I don't know why, but I picture Ron Perlman as Clark. I also picture Anthony Weiner as Admiral cutter......lol..

Sum of all fears was a total joke compared to the book. Yeah it's a movie. But still.

It's been a while since I've watched Patriot games, but from what I remember, Red October is probably the most accurate to the book, which isn't saying a whole lot.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:41:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's been a while since I've watched Patriot games, but from what I remember, Red October is probably the most accurate to the book, which isn't saying a whole lot.
View Quote
I haven't seen any that came after Harrison Ford's turn, but yeah, of those I saw HFRO is the only one that came close, and it's the only one I can still watch.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My wife yelled at me for running it in the background while I cleaned some guns last night....(I own it).

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
RIP Fred Thompson. One of the best Cold War movies ever made.
View Quote
Wow, I completely missed this.

I wonder if it was a busy news cycle at the time.  I met him in 2008 at a gun store here in NH during his presidential campaign run.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Seconded. That was a hell of a good book.
View Quote
Production budget would be $200 million and that's mostly just Chris Helmsworth's salary.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. The scenes showing the periscope sending Morse code? That was my boat. I was still in Power School when the movie came out though.

There are quite a few different types. And if they're close enough, you don't need sonar to hear them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I wonder if it was a busy news cycle at the time.  I met him in 2008 at a gun store here in NH during his presidential campaign run.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RIP Fred Thompson. One of the best Cold War movies ever made.

I wish he was 10 years younger when he ran. His age was his biggest foe.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've heard sonar pings from stuff while diving, it's not as cool as the movie, but it's not disappointing, it sounds neat, same as hearing dolphins talk and echo locate. Weird sound/ feeling.

Worked with a guy building a sat system, he was on nuke attack subs in the 80's and 90's. Said they would do "de-lousing" operations and trick Russians into following them up to the poles, then blast them with active sonar at full power and haul ass away. He claimed it would really ring their bell.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I wish he was 10 years younger when he ran. His age was his biggest foe.
View Quote
Dude had the biggest IDGAF presidential run that I can remember.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've heard sonar pings from stuff while diving, it's not as cool as the movie, but it's not disappointing, it sounds neat, same as hearing dolphins talk and echo locate. Weird sound/ feeling.

Worked with a guy building a sat system, he was on nuke attack subs in the 80's and 90's. Said they would do "de-lousing" operations and trick Russians into following them up to the poles, then blast them with active sonar at full power and haul ass away. He claimed it would really ring their bell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your coworker was blowing smoke up your ass.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#45]
... I've never seen that movie
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
As a guy who has served on three fast attacks, I question the veracity of this story.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Be careful Ryan, most things in here dont react well to bullets" !!!
Its spelled "bulletch".
he does this thing with the corner of his mouth when he is emphasizing...

"it'an act of lunacy, general sir.  personally, i think you are a fucking idiot."

The Rock - "...General, sir."
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Submarines can and do snap roll.

ETA: And there's an advantage to being behind your target, just like in aircraft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great movie, except for the BS of submarines maneuvering like fighter jets. Actually it was worse than that, it was submarines maneuvering the way that Hollywood douchbags imagine fighter jets can maneuver.

It was made before Alec Baldwin went total douchbag, or at least he was not yet in full bloom
Submarines can and do snap roll.

ETA: And there's an advantage to being behind your target, just like in aircraft.
Wow. Did not know that.
Probably spills a lot of coffee, tho.
whats the roll rate, approximately?
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#49]
A buddy of mine was flying Seahawks doing ASW when the movie came out. He only liked the Seahawk launch scene near the end of the film.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#50]
No papers.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top