Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 1:01:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Academy is beating their dick like it owes them money over this decision.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:33:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 20 year old son who will be the buyer and Nolo on speed dial. I just hate to spend money at Dicks.
View Quote
Best talk to a real Attorney  first.  Aage discrimination is only supposed to protect us over 40 years old farts.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Their business, their rules.

I would argue they can deny a sale of anything, for any reason.
View Quote
Yup - if a corporation may ignore / ban / punish 1A, certain bet they can do same with 2A too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 6:03:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A gunstore may legally refuse to sell a gun to anyone they choose.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-06-17/dealers-choice-gun-store-owners-can-deny-anyone-they-want
View Quote
B.S. Article doesn't quote any Federal Law saying this is allowable discrimination.  Please show me the specific LAW that says "Hey! - If they pass and you just don't like them for being Black, or Gay or Women, or Muslim, or 20 years old you Don't have to Sell it to them - just because Y-O-U "don't feel like it"...
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-06-17/dealers-choice-gun-store-owners-can-deny-anyone-they-want
View Quote
I believe that means on an individual basis, not across the board based on age when they are of legal age to purchase. Maybe if they decided not to sell to people over 30 it would be more obvious and cause a bigger stir.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 6:32:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Make them suffer
View Quote
This. It's not about whether they are right or wrong, it's about choosing to side against us. Fuck them and use a lawyer to do it. They won't care about lost business but lawsuits do get their attention and their money. We're in a war right now and the high road is closed for repairs, gotta go low for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
So Walmart wants to raise the age to buy a gun to 21...   will they also raise the age to buy cigarettes to 35?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This. It's not about whether they are right or wrong, it's about choosing to side against us. Fuck them and use a lawyer to do it. They won't care about lost business but lawsuits do get their attention and their money. We're in a war right now and the high road is closed for repairs, gotta go low for awhile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make them suffer
This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Still no arf lawyer response. That question needs answered.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]
In most states, what Dick's is doing is legal.

That being said, they took a side and it wasn't our side. Time to buy our overpriced basketballs and socks somewhere else.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
But not a wedding cake?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]
We have a Dicks and a Field and Stream, turned in my Sportsman’s advantage card today.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
B.S. Article doesn't quote any Federal Law saying this is allowable discrimination.  Please show me the specific LAW that says "Hey! - If they pass and you just don't like them for being Black, or Gay or Women, or Muslim, or 20 years old you Don't have to Sell it to them - just because Y-O-U "don't feel like it"...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no such law.

I quoted a source that outlined the fact that  gun stores/FFLs can refuse to transfer a weapon at their pleasure.

You need to show me a law in which 18-21 year olds who want to purchase a gun from an FFL are a legally protected class.

Go ahead, make my day.

BTW: I believe that 18 year olds should continue to be legally allowed to purchase firearms.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That being said, they took a side and it wasn't our side. Time to buy our overpriced basketballs and socks somewhere else.
View Quote
There is an analysis on Reason.com's Volokh Conspiracy section, written by lawyers, which points out a few of the states which have state law disallowing age discrimination.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ETA: Dicks is a private company, that is there for profit. It is not a public right to be able to go into Dicks and purchase items.
View Quote
What about bakeries?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Does that include protected classes?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, if the FFL doesn't articulate the fact that the rejected customer was turned away due to his belonging to the protected class.

I'm pretty sure that members of protected classes have been turned away by gun stores.

If an FFL's "spidey sense" tingles they are not obligated to make a sale or do a transfer.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes, if the FFL doesn't articulate the fact that the rejected customer was turned away due to his belonging to the protected class.

I'm pretty sure that members of protected classes have been turned away by gun stores.

If an FFL's "spidey sense" tingles they are not obligated to make a sale or do a transfer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that is EXACTLY the rub. Dicks as a company, and now Wal-Mart, have articulated a specific descrimination of age.

That is why why they could be sued for civil rights.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And that is EXACTLY the rub. Dicks as a company, and now Wal-Mart, have articulated a specific descrimination of age.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

18-21 year old would be gun buyers are not a federally protected class.

If Dicks management believes they're uncomfortable transferring guns to them they don't have to.

I'm pretty sure that Dicks and Walmart have attorneys advising them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Interesting article by a lawyer. Apparently it depends on where you are, more liberal areas appear to have stonger laws regarding age discrimination.

http://reason.com/volokh/2018/02/28/can-gun-stores-refuse-to-sell-rifles-and
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So have insurance companies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys, I hate to ruin the flight of fancy going on here, but young people are generally not protected by age-discrimination laws.  You generally have to be over 40 and it applies primarily in the context of employment.  Rental car companies have been discriminating against those under 25 for ages (pun intended).
So have insurance companies.
both of these industries have numbers backing them on the potential harm to their business that young people could do..............
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This ain't no barkery, son. A FFL doesn't need to articulate a reason for not selling you a gun, it's federal law that he can refuse a sale for whatever reason he wants. I sure wouldn't give a reason. I'd just tell them, "Sorry, fresh out".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I direct you to a bakery in Colorado.
While this was an alleged discrimination case, civil rights case similar?
This ain't no barkery, son. A FFL doesn't need to articulate a reason for not selling you a gun, it's federal law that he can refuse a sale for whatever reason he wants. I sure wouldn't give a reason. I'd just tell them, "Sorry, fresh out".
I am not your son..........
I was pointing out that a discrimination case is likely different from a civil rights case.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Go in and tell them you are a homosexual 19 years old.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
An FFL can refuse to sell a firearm to anyone for any reason and they don't have to say why.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't apply, this would be denying people their rights/discrimination based on age.
An FFL can refuse to sell a firearm to anyone for any reason and they don't have to say why.
I agree but Dicks made a blanket statement that they would not sell simply because someone is in a specific age group.

Isn't there laws protecting Americans against discrimination based solely on race age religion ect.....

No that law pertains specially to employers and over 40 age group

But here in Florida there's a law that says no entity, county, city ect....can write any new gun laws that exceeds state gun laws. Would that also include business.

Again this is based upon the fact that DICKS made a open announcement that they would violate both federal and state laws based simply upon age alone. Nothing else, no suspicion of being a gang banger nothing, just age and not on an individual basis as ffl dealers do when they do refuse to sell someone a firearm.

But a blanket statement to an entire class of AMERICANS who are guilty of no crimes that under FEDERAL LAW PREVENT THEM FROM BUYING OR OWNING A FIREARM.

Would that NOT violate Florida's gun laws of making/writing a new law pertaining to guns in that state. This is going to get interesting.

This is going to get challenged in court obviously. Not to mention cost DICKS million in revenue. Think I'm joking DICKS look at The Sports Authority that went out of business when they stopped selling guns.

But I do remember a FFL dealer in Sebastian Florida that did refuse to sell guns to all people of MUSLIM decent. Actually put a sign in his widow saying he'd not sell to Muslims.

You guys remember that. What ever happened with that deal. Is he still not selling to Muslims.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I agree but Dicks made a blanket statement that they would not sell simply because someone is in a specific age group.

Isn't there laws protecting Americans against discrimination based solely on race age religion ect.....

No that law pertains specially to employers and over 40 age group

But here in Florida there's a law that says no entity, county, city ect....can write any new law that exceeds state laws. Pertaining to guns. Would that also include business.

Again this is based upon the fact that DICKS made a open announcement that they would violate both federal and state laws based simply upon age alone. Nothing else, no suspicious of being a gang banger nothing, just age.  Would that violate Florida's law of making/writing a new law pertaining to guns in that state. This is going to get interesting.

This is going to get challenged in court obviously. Not to mention cost DICKS million in revenue. Think I'm joking DICKS look at The Sports Authority that went out of business when they stopped selling guns.
View Quote
Dicks and Walmart aren't government entities and therefore, they cannot write any new law.

Federal and state law currently allows for the purchase of certain firearms by individuals 18 or older but to my knowledge there's no Florida law requiring gun stores to sell a gun to anyone.

I strongly believe in allowing 18 year olds to continue to be legally able to by firearms, but I also believe that gun stores are not legally bound to sell guns to them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Bingo.

Unfortunately this tactic works for gay cakes somehow...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

Gays are under the equal protections clause of the 14th amendment.
Apparently gun owners aren't.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

OK here you go. Say an 18 year old gay or lesbian trys to buy a gun. Then are refused. What then.......

I just heard our commander and dick again about taking away our rights on due process and bitch slap the NRA saying basically they aren't crap, what are you afraid of. He needs to stfu. About violating the 5th and 14th admendment. He's empowering these dumb fucks doing this crap. I voted for him so I can criticize his sorry ass.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
They took a side after Sandy Hook. Their latest statement is just a reminder.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That being said, they took a side and it wasn't our side. Time to buy our overpriced basketballs and nut socks somewhere else.
View Quote
Fixed it
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Here is the unfortunate reality.

Federal law says you don't have firearms rights unless you're 21 or over.

Then it allows some specific privileges to those 18-20.

The federal courts are not going to intervene, it's already been tried with handguns:
http://blogs.findlaw.com/fifth_circuit/2013/04/5th-circuit-wont-reconsider-under-21-gun-sale-ban.html

And a complete ban on firearms possession for some unfortunate individuals 18-20:
http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-7th-circuit/1720717.html

Until SCOTUS takes more 2A cases, the lower courts will continue treating 2A as a disfavored civil right, in the words of Justice Thomas.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
So they don't have to hire older people or women?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#32]
What retards are buying firearms at dicks sporting goods or walmart? Go to a gun shop, buy a gun...pretty simple.

If a place decides not to sell certain firearms, or ammo anymore. Or if they decide not to sell to anyone under whatever age they decide. Why do you care?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
This

we have the right to not shop there at all.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Be sure to make it a black 18 year old. Then when they deny him, pull the card and ask why.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So we should force businesses to sell anything to anyone?

I'll go with less regulation for $200 Alex.
View Quote
Most here would force a private property owner to allow concealed weapons on their property also.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Here is the unfortunate reality.

Federal law says you don't have firearms rights unless you're 21 or over.

Then it allows some specific privileges to those 18-20.

The federal courts are not going to intervene, it's already been tried with handguns:
http://blogs.findlaw.com/fifth_circuit/2013/04/5th-circuit-wont-reconsider-under-21-gun-sale-ban.html

Until SCOTUS takes more 2A cases, the lower courts will continue treating 2A as a disfavored civil right, in the words of Justice Thomas.
View Quote
Not being a smart ass towards you. But federal law does not imply any of what you stated. It simply limits how a handgun may be bought. It states that unless your 21 an FFL can not sell you a handgun unless our 21. That's it.

Nothing in the law states that an 18, 19 or 20 year has fewer rights than a 21 or older Americans as far as ownership goes. Because the federal law only puts restrictions on FFL dealers not American gun owners.

18, 19 and 20 can own and buy every firearm a 21 and older American can buy. Both handguns and long guns.

Also gun ownership is most certainly not a privileges. Driving a car on the road ways is a privileges.

Gun ownership is recognized not granted by a CONSTITUTIONAL right by the 2nd admendment.

We as a people LET government violate the 2nd admendment as well as other Admendments. When they have zero rights to do so. We are to blame for our lost of rights. By letting it happen. We can not blame anyone but ourselves either.

Remember what Clinton said. She said that Every Right That We Have Is Open To And Subject To Reasonable Regulations

Well this is what we have let the government do to our rights.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
But not a wedding cake?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But not a wedding cake?
Dick's doesn't do wedding cakes.
Who would wand a Dick Cake at their wedding?

Ohhhh, wait.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
But not a wedding cake?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But not a wedding cake?
Dick's doesn't do wedding cakes.
Who would wand a Dick Cake at their wedding?

Ohhhh, wait.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Does this REALLY make any sense?

These Semi-Automatic weapons are available ONLY to those over 21

All these Automatic weapons are available to 17 year olds (just gotta sign up )

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top