Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I watched it.  It's eye opening.  Crazy how an American city can be so understaffed / underfunded.  Yet, we send billions out to shitholes outside of our borders....
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Netflix series on Flint is accurate. Crime runs rampant, and police resources are stretched bare bones due to lack of resources to employ additional officers. Some neighborhoods, after dark, LE will not even venture due to there only being a single officer in a vehicle to respond.

It's bad. I have a home about 15 miles north of Flint, and do not venture there, even in daylight, unless absolutely necessary.

Flint is "two gun territory" - primary and a back up. Seriously.
View Quote
We were driving to a vacation in Michigan with my in-laws when my dumbass MIL wanted to stop in Flint because she'd lived there as a child for a while. "We're not fucking stopping in Flint, I don't have enough ammo for my AR15" went over like a turd in a punch bowl. I'd brought 3 mags in case she wanted to stop in Detroit, my wife didn't tell me her mom had lived in Flint too.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Just read this post and started episode 1.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have seen it.  It is good.  Hard ass chief talking about we gonna get you, cant afford radios for all of their cars but has money for a hummer and to mod it into a police truck.  Yeah its depressing.
View Quote
I would bet the hummer is donated from the feds .
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Flint in one sentence.

A once prosperous town destroyed by Democrats, Union members, and finally black gang violence.

Detroit same time

The 1967 race riot where businesses were destroyed and the city burned was the end.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go on............
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much of the truth about the water situation is not told
Go on............
This one neat trick....
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Flint is a larger version of East Cleveland
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I watched it.  It's not exactly heart-warming or optimistic, it's real life.  

If you're looking for something upbeat, you might be best to pass on it.  If you're looking for a documentary about a broken city, then this is the show for you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#10]
City I worked for was 165 cops for 250k people.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Good show, very well done by the filmmakers,  I didn't find it depressing at all.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/culture/photo-booth/inside-a-broken-police-department-in-flint-michigan/amp

Has anyone seen this? I watched the trailer and it sounds too depressing to sit through, like "End of Watch" with real people.
View Quote
One of the things that they don't mention is that Michigan State Police detail a bunch to Flint as do Gennese Co SD. Still not what they should have but there is more available than the series let on.

J-
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
City I worked for was 165 cops for 250k people.
View Quote
that's awful. my place is nearly double your manpower for a smaller population
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#14]
That’s the future of policing right there if things keep going the way they are.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#17]
98/100K is a pretty good staffing level.

23/33K here.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wow, they got a lot of police. That's almost one officer for every thousand. That's like 6 times the national average.

Seriously.
View Quote
Those that think its low are clueless to normal LE staffing levels.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I work in an area with 300k+ residents and we only have about 120 on patrol...  I have seen an occupied residential burglary in progress wait more than 3 hours for an officer to show up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Kinda funny how it ends after Trump got elected and the black cops were calling the white cops that voted for him racist!
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Those black cops in the show still voted for Hillary.

Hillary and Obama were both on the sides of the black lives matter fuck the police.

Trump praised the police and the black Flint, MI officers still voted for Hillary.

They get what they deserve. Keep voting democrat for years on end and you end up with Flint problems.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Just watched the first episode, great so far.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Those black cops in the show still voted for Hillary.

Hillary and Obama were both on the sides of the black lives matter fuck the police.

Trump praised the police and the black Flint, MI officers still voted for Hillary.

They get what they deserve. Keep voting democrat for years on end and you end up with Flint problems.
View Quote
Wife and I finished the last episode. By episode 3 I realized that most of the black PD were just BLM with badges. Bitching about the city problem, water, lack of infrastructure, lost funds, THEN VOTE FOR THE SAME FUCKING PEOPLE AGAIN AND AGAIN.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Kinda funny how it ends after Trump got elected and the black cops were calling the white cops that voted for him racist!
View Quote
Just goes to show how stupid white people are. Even on this board, white guilters will twist themselves into pretzels not to write something that will be 'racist' or insensitive. Yet, in real life, most blacks put their blackness over anything and anybody else. Imagine that. Cops would support the BLM supported candidate even though the ideas that BLM and Clinton stand for justify killing of cops. And not only that, but they ostracized their very own brother cops for NOT supporting that ridiculous, morally bankrupt ideology. Can you imagine, being partnered with a BLM supporting black cop? Putting your life in that asshole's hands every day?

I think Extorris here on this board has good stories about how in the NYPD a white cop better not expect any black cops to be there as timely or effective back up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not just any 100k city either. It's the murder capital of the first world every few years or so.  Parts of it are a wasteland. Very stabby place.

State Police and the County Sheriff do have a heavy presence that's not mentioned in the documentary. The Michigan State Police are no joke. Very professional, well-equipped and trained and NO sense of humor whatsoever.  

Ironically the place was really nice in the postwar years (Just like Detroit).  Hell, it even has (or had) an opera house.

Everything went to hell when GM pulled out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/culture/photo-booth/inside-a-broken-police-department-in-flint-michigan/amp

Has anyone seen this? I watched the trailer and it sounds too depressing to sit through, like "End of Watch" with real people.
Not just any 100k city either. It's the murder capital of the first world every few years or so.  Parts of it are a wasteland. Very stabby place.

State Police and the County Sheriff do have a heavy presence that's not mentioned in the documentary. The Michigan State Police are no joke. Very professional, well-equipped and trained and NO sense of humor whatsoever.  

Ironically the place was really nice in the postwar years (Just like Detroit).  Hell, it even has (or had) an opera house.

Everything went to hell when GM pulled out.
Lack of community policing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#27]
It has some fantastic cinematography. It's like you are really there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#28]
The best part is when they vote for a police and fire levy only to have the city council move it all to the general fund and police and fire end up with less money than before it passed!
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Got the fuck out of that shitehole!

However, consider this!

Flint was 1980’s Richest City for Young People, Guess Where it is Now

Once upon a time, Flint, Michigan was the best place to be if you were a young worker. The city was just ahead of San Francisco in that regard. While “the city by the bay” remains atop that list, the metropolis once known as “Vehicle City” has not fared so well.

According to an article published earlier this year by The Atlantic, Flint was considered the “Richest U.S. City for Young People.” It’s a bit of a convoluted designation, but it basically means the city with the highest median income among workers 35 and younger.

In 1980, Flint was atop that list, with an average median income of $50,208 per year. It should be noted that $50k went a lot further in 1980 than it does now. Hell, back then the average median income across the country was just over $19k/yr and you could buy a new Z28 Camaro for just north of $7,000. Life was good in 1980.

Detroit was also high on the list in 1980, landing at second with an average median income of $47,460/yr among young workers. Arguably, Detroit should be #1 on this list since their population was almost ten times that of Flint back then. In fact, the article says the list includes only cities larger than 450,000 people, which is not true since Flint only had a population of nearly 200,000 at its peak in the 1960s. Technically, Flint should not be on this list, but it is so we’re going to continue.

http://banana1015.com/flint-was-the-richest-city-for-young-people-in-1980-guess-where-it-is-now/
View Quote
What cost $50208 in 1980 would cost $151556.33 in 2017.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2017 and 1980,
they would cost you $50208 and $14977.07 respectively.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I have watched a few episodes a couple of weeks ago, made me feel good. I left the area in 2006 and moved to Wyoming.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The best part is when they vote for a police and fire levy only to have the city council move it all to the general fund and police and fire end up with less money than before it passed!
View Quote
I was asked to run for city council in Flint. I turned down the offer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I bought a house and lived on Flints East Side for 13 years. Made my break just a bit over 4 years ago and now live just a bit west of Flint. There probably arent a lot of great areas of Flint but I'll tell ya.....where it's bad, it's real fucking bad. I still cross the northend often as my mother lives East of Flint. When I do, I am armed. Even then I will not travel that area after dark during the warmer months. My fiance is a teacher in Flint....I hate it. 3 more years till she can retire.
View Quote
Preach it brother. Couple years ago, I was on my way from a decent neighborhood to I-69. Didn't know the area all that well and just hopped on Dort to take it straight to the highway. Ended up in a attempted carjacking. Fuckers tried to box me in at a red light and came at my door, hitting the side of my truck with a baton. I drew on the guy at my door, got around the lead car and pulled out. They still followed me, KNOWING THAT I WAS ARMED, and tried again at a gas station a few miles down the road where I pulled in to wait for the cops. The criminal fuckers there have no fear of the cops because they know even for a attempted carjack call, it's a minimum 10 minute response time.

Of course the cops did dick all. The 2nd attempt was in a gas station lot, in full view of their cameras and I had a partial plate. But in Flint, it's no body, no crime. Smartest thing my parents ever did was move from that area (between Fling and Owosso) to the Thumb.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t have netflix.
97 cops for a city?
That’s about 16 cops per shift per platoon. Subtract the chief, supervisor level officers and detectives (plain clothes cops not on street patrol), it does not leave a lot of coverage or backup during busy times.
How do cops have time for court?
How many cases are on backlog for detectives?
Do cops get opportunities to use the vacation time?

Oh, so the news article said they cut their department in half awhile ago. Sounds bad. Someone said MSP helps out. That’s good. Can’t imagine gong to a call for service alone involving a shooter, and everyone else is tied up on a call or booking an arrestee.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don’t have netflix.
97 cops for a city?
That’s about 16 cops per shift per platoon. Subtract the chief, supervisor level officers and detectives (plain clothes cops not on street patrol), it does not leave a lot of coverage or backup during busy times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t have netflix.
97 cops for a city?
From what I recall they only had 4-6 working patrol cars.

I did love the police chief selling the evidence locker guns. He didn't give a shit. If it got his department money he did it.

I was talking to a police friend of mine and he's the supply sergeant. He said he cut 15 M16 receivers in half one day because they were told they had to get rid of them. Damn, they could have sold them for $16K or more and made the department money.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:16:34 AM EDT
[#36]
On the bright side, they don't have so many extra police to just drive around and give people tickets for driving 5 miles an hour over the speed limit like they do in my city
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:52:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
On the bright side, they don't have so many extra police to just drive around and give people tickets for driving 5 miles an hour over the speed limit like they do in my city
View Quote
Those “5 over stops”, help keep your town from becoming the next Flint. Being proactive works.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#38]
I watched, pretty entertaining.

That town is is fucked.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:57:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
98 cops...for a city of 100,000?  LOL

Yeah right.  Sounds like a deathtrap.
View Quote
Plano, TX has a population of 260,000 and 350 police officers.  A ratio of 1 officer to 1,000 citizens is not that abnormal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:08:17 AM EDT
[#40]
The city council members tripped me out, everything that is wrong with politics.  Bunch of seriously fucking stupid people and I would wager barely literate as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 2:07:02 AM EDT
[#41]
It's a really good series, I love docu-dramas type shows.

The "ghetto" isn't nearly as scary after you have worked there a decade or so

I can drink the water where I am from though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 2:28:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Plano, TX has a population of 260,000 and 350 police officers.  A ratio of 1 officer to 1,000 citizens is not that abnormal.
View Quote
There is a whole lot more too Flint's problems than just staffing levels. Having 5-7 cops on the night shift in one of the most dangerous cities in America is not normal, when they are by themselves with shit equipment on top of that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Makes me appreciate where I'm at in my life and where I'm at geographically. There is no fixing that town if this series is any indication of what's going on.

I went to the Flint website to see the pay and benefits for officer positions. I couldn't find it on the city's website. I'm taking that as a good hint that it's very bad. Maybe it's buried in there somewhere but I'm guessing it's buried for a reason.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 2:37:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hillary had the mothers of black men who were shot fighting cops on stage and black cops still voted for her
View Quote
Proves they are still slaves, just to a different master.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#45]
I laughed when liquor plus was featured, I've been in that place hundreds of times. The documentary is right, it's not a safe store at night some of the time.

A good friend of mine Lives just north of town between MLK and Saginaw st and we will sometimes count gun shots on warm summer nights from his front porch.  I feel for the people who are stuck there, most of them are decent people who want to see Flint how they remember it from their own childhood.

If you really want to jump in a rabbit hole of research then Google Eric Mays the Flint city councilman.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Makes me appreciate where I'm at in my life and where I'm at geographically. There is no fixing that town if this series is any indication of what's going on.

I went to the Flint website to see the pay and benefits for officer positions. I couldn't find it on the city's website. I'm taking that as a good hint that it's very bad. Maybe it's buried in there somewhere but I'm guessing it's buried for a reason.
View Quote
I think the pay tops in the 50s?
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 2:55:49 AM EDT
[#47]
I imagine the flint city PD will get shut down just like Pontiac's did... then those leo's will get absorbed by the SO. Same way Pontiac Mi went

As far as the water issues go.. Detroit pumps out water to most of SE Mi.. and have been increasing rates for years.. many cities/towns have been wanting to dump Detroit water service. Anyways..when flint said no to detroit water and went with thier own plant. ( there was a former employee who called into 97.1 and stated they had no idea how to treat the water properly)

Flint has 2 reservoirs that they control for water, I live near 1 of them roughly a little under 1 mile... I have higher lead levels than flint does... and they pulled water from that body of water.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 3:02:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I imagine the flint city PD will get shut down just like Pontiac's did... then those leo's will get absorbed by the SO. Same way Pontiac Mi went

As far as the water issues go.. Detroit pumps out water to most of SE Mi.. and have been increasing rates for years.. many cities/towns have been wanting to dump Detroit water service. Anyways..when flint said no to detroit water and went with thier own plant. ( there was a former employee who called into 97.1 and stated they had no idea how to treat the water properly)

Flint has 2 reservoirs that they control for water, I live near 1 of them roughly a little under 1 mile... I have higher lead levels than flint does... and they pulled water from that body of water.
View Quote
Does the SO want to really deal with Flints shit tho?
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 3:07:20 AM EDT
[#49]
They somewhat already do.. I see them often where I work... lights on heading someplace
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 3:17:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They somewhat already do.. I see them often where I work... lights on heading someplace
View Quote
Are they the primary or backup?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top