Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2018 9:27:05 AM EDT

We want to put lasers on them by 2020 too.

What a cool plane.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I fully endorse this message.

I love my job.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome plane!!!!
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#3]
C-130's, A-10's, and CH-53's are my favorite flying platforms!
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Waaaaayyy better platform than that POS CV-22.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#5]
They are cool until you are sitting on the run way in full gear while the plane has a hydraulic leak...
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are cool until you are sitting on the run way in full gear while the plane has a hydraulic leak...
View Quote
Better than taking off in one with a Hydro leak.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I love my job.
View Quote
I was hoping we'd get a guy who worked with them!

You guys still use the Bofurs or did they switch them out already?
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#10]
AC130s are great

These are beautiful though

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#11]
The U model still uses it, but they are retiring. The W and J model have gone to 30 and 105mm and bombs and missiles.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#12]
They're especially awesome when you're the assistant brigade fire support NCO, in charge of the night shift, at Kandahar Airfield in March 2002 and they're flying overhead, providing cover for the base because you're under constant threat of rocket attack and the vast majority of your organic fire support assets are up in the Shah-I-Kot Valley for Operation Anaconda.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They're especially awesome when you're the assistant brigade fire support NCO, in charge of the night shift, at Kandahar Airfield in March 2002 and they're flying overhead, providing cover for the base because you're under constant threat of rocket attack and the vast majority of your organic fire support assets are up in the Shah-I-Kot Valley for Operation Anaconda.
View Quote

Whether a base or SF guys out in a mission, you gotta feel pretty damn well covered with one of those guys up there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought the lasers were going on the sharks?

Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do.

Depends on the model.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Serious fanboy....serious.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I do.

Depends on the model.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do.

Depends on the model.
I think I heard somewhere that the AC130 is the most requested/used plane in our inventory.

Is there any truth to that?
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I still want to know if the Greyhound could haul enough side-mounted guns to make the AC-2 Hellhound carrier-borne gunship viable.

The C-2 is getting pushed out of the COD mission by V-22 anyway, isn’t it?

SOCOM CAS and vessel-in-port defense seems a good mission for a Mini-Specter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I've seen one or two

Playing the COD AC130 level on the screens while testing out a Dragon Spear operator console was pretty much the best thing ever for us non sky-gods.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh, they’re popular.  Looking at our overall rounds counts (expended) overseas, there may be some truth to that.  I don’t have visibilty to all expenditures per platform so I can’t say for sure.  It’s a big, lumbering, lethal bird.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The U model still uses it, but they are retiring. The W and J model have gone to 30 and 105mm and bombs and missiles.
View Quote
I did not know this til I saw the pic

Just 1 cannon now?
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Oh, they’re popular.  Looking at our overall rounds counts (expended) overseas, there may be some truth to that.  I don’t have visibilty to all expenditures per platform so I can’t say for sure.  It’s a big, lumbering, lethal bird.
View Quote
We should make an AC5.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I love my job.
View Quote
Daughter and I watched a two ship sortie doing target practice yesterday afternoon. We're close enough we can smell the burnt powder. We live on the county line between Santa Rosa and Okaloosa. Love it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#25]
They need  a giant mesh brass catcher...
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Daughter and I watched a two ship sortie doing target practice yesterday afternoon. We're close enough we can smell the burnt powder. We live on the county line between Santa Rosa and Okaloosa. Love it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love my job.
2x AC130s at the same time?

Does that ever happen on missions? Where for some reason they just want even more ridiculous amounts of firepower?
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are a smart man!
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#28]
It's cool but I'd prefer an AC Cobra

Link Posted: 6/28/2018 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Does that ever happen on missions? Where for some reason they just want even more ridiculous amounts of firepower?
View Quote
It sure does, we've had two Ws overhead multiple ops, along with an U and a W on other ops.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It sure does, we've had two Ws overhead multiple ops, along with an U and a W on other ops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm eating lunch and started laughing  out loud by myself.

That's so much fuck you in the air.

Man, I'd pay to see two AC130s laying down pain at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#32]
We put a 105mm cannon on a little while ago.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleywallacetd/33881685375
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm eating lunch and started laughing  out loud by myself.

That's so much fuck you in the air.

Man, I'd pay to see two AC130s laying down pain at the same time.
View Quote
lol!

Wish we had video of it!
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
It does. One of my more bitter sweet shoots was when we rolled in overtop of our other crew mid shoot. They were hitting two targets and we got cleared on two more. The situation on the ground didn’t afford the first crew a chance to refuel so we launched to back fill them and showed up and had rounds down within the first orbit.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seems we may have run into each other back then.  Do you remember how many times they spotted two suspicious heat signatures just inside the wire?
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#36]
OP isn’t wrong
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It does. One of my more bitter sweet shoots was when we rolled in overtop of our other crew mid shoot. They were hitting two targets and we got cleared on two more. The situation on the ground didn’t afford the first crew a chance to refuel so we launched to back fill them and showed up and had rounds down within the first orbit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh my God that is amazing and awesome.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say things worked out for the guys on the ground.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I have been lucky enough to watch them do some work while deployed. It’s rather awe inspiring to say the least.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#39]
One problem with the AC-119 was if you lost one engine you were going to crash. No exceptions.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Puff The Magic Dragon.   I think I remember reading one time that former Viet Cong said nothing scared them more than those damn things.   I'd hate to be on the receiving end.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have been lucky enough to watch them do some work while deployed. It’s rather awe inspiring to say the least.
View Quote
I haven't shared your luck or experience, but it's got to be amazing and uniquely American.

You have to have airspace dominance. You can't just fly a lumbering death machine without owning the sky.

But if you do own the sky, you have at your disposal a giant ordnance machine which can dump a variety of stuff on things America hates.

Fucking awesome plane that no other country can deploy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love my job.
My BIL was stationed there. Bought a house in Mary Esther. Retired there last year after his final stint at Vandenberg.

With the 75th training nearby and a MOAB test a few years ago while we were visiting. Damn cool. No one minds the night runs. Cuz Murica.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I do.

Depends on the model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do.

Depends on the model.
When TI was installing FLIR on them in the 1969 and after, they only had 7.62 and 20mm guns. Adding the Bofors was a big deal. Lot more standoff range. Then when they added the 105mm on the Surprise Package, IIRC, they loved that standoff range. Before that those guys were in the dirt. Brave airmen.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I hear them shooting all the time. Hardly notice it until family comes in town and asks what the noise is
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTDT.  More than once.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When TI was installing FLIR on them in the 1969 and after, they only had 7.62 and 20mm guns. Adding the Bofors was a big deal. Lot more standoff range. Then when they added the 105mm on the Surprise Package, IIRC, they loved that standoff range. Before that those guys were in the dirt. Brave airmen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do.

Depends on the model.
Fighters are sexy. Always have been, always will be.

When videos of simply loading your weapons are sexy, you got a winner.

What a unique, cool plane.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Do any other countries have/had a plane set up for the same role?
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#48]
My uncle was a 130 pilot.  When I was about 15, I got to watch a firepower demonstration.  It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Was the addition of the J85's taken from the C-123K Provider?
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#50]
I miss nose art...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top