BCM
User Panel

Page / 56
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1

It's been a flat out AMAZING year, from start to finish, continually going above and beyond expectations, and nailing it perfectly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fantastic job once again on this year's project!
+1

It's been a flat out AMAZING year, from start to finish, continually going above and beyond expectations, and nailing it perfectly.
Well, our door and robotics are still on hold till next week now AFTER graduation, as State Track starts tomorrow.

He promises me hes coming in to work on it, and I believe him.  He couldn't stand not finishing what he started.

Finals for 9-11 start next week, and last day for students is a week from tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a very big update today.

Students did rework the blackhawk landing gear housing a bit, smoothing out a spot and also sealing the access panel on the tail, where the two halves meet.  We never did a very decent job of finishing that.

The Capitol is further along.  That is the only picture I got today.   I've been grading portfolios and final projects.

Link Posted: 5/20/2019 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Update 5/20

The "End" is near.....

Last week to finish this all up.

We did get the label maker working, and most of the wires marked inside the fuselage.    I'm told that our Robotics engineer(also Valedictorian this year) says he's printing the parts we need for the door right now and will begin assembling them tomorrow.

We also began brainstorming for next year.   We are in the very early stages.    There are some fun ideas on the board.    Space is a serious consideration, as the areas left are few.   One open area is right in front of the FFA/Ag and Robotics classrooms.   We are considering a theme that will fit with those classrooms.

I like the SEAL team or Smoke Jumpers idea in the entrance to the Green pod, but we may run into a little push-back there with that location, as it on the edge of the Commons/lunch room area.  It gets high traffic during events, including events where little kids are let loose, and unsupervised.   WE would need approval from admin on any idea we do there.

Link Posted: 5/20/2019 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You could do the back end of a MAFFS C-130 and have it randomly spray water during passing periods.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2019 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#5]
How about a Terminator?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the idea of the smoke jumpers.  Or you could consider doing a fire bomber, which leaves all sorts of cool options from C130, DC10, or even a PBY.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Guns,

If you do the Egyptian them for the Green Pod entrance, could it be something that the students would walk into to enter the Green Pod as if they were entering a pyramid or something?

Or maybe something like the cave Indiana Jones went into at the beginning of the first movie except without spears, arrows, spinning saw blades, a giant rolling boulder, you know, all of the fun stuff.  It could still spray water.  I like the spraying water idea.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Guns,

If you do the Egyptian them for the Green Pod entrance, could it be something that the students would walk into to enter the Green Pod as if they were entering a pyramid or something?

Or maybe something like the cave Indiana Jones went into at the beginning of the first movie except without spears, arrows, spinning saw blades, a giant rolling boulder, you know, all of the fun stuff.  It could still spray water.  I like the spraying water idea.
View Quote
That was exactly the students idea.  Entering a tomb Indiana Jones style.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I may or may not have some knowledge of idea #3......
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
It's a popular idea.   We think with the taxidermy mounts around it, we can make a nice poetic display, representing WY oil and gas, as well as abundant wildlife.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's a popular idea.   We think with the taxidermy mounts around it, we can make a nice poetic display, representing WY oil and gas, as well as abundant wildlife.
View Quote
With an hourly natural gas flare, with real flame!
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 1:44:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like the idea of the smoke jumpers.  Or you could consider doing a fire bomber, which leaves all sorts of cool options from C130, DC10, or even a PBY.
View Quote
I'm partial to the P3 Orion (ex-Navy ASW aircrew)

Link Posted: 5/21/2019 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#14]
You could do and F-14 with functioning variable-sweep wing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm partial to the P3 Orion (ex-Navy ASW aircrew)

http://www.airstrikefirefighters.com/images/21-1268x201.jpg?crc=3798641539
View Quote
Hmmmm, it was a popular topic for many students yesterday.  The location in the Commons was the real problem.  If we did it in the taxidermy breakout pod, we could have them jumping out to save the wildlife......murals around the animals, and smoke and fire off in the distance.

I like this!
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw "missile silo" on the white board and had to check in.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I saw "missile silo" on the white board and had to check in.
View Quote

We've got a very tall, narrow space above our hallway end display areas, and it would be pretty cool to make one into a silo.

Link Posted: 5/22/2019 4:53:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Lots of missile history in your state.
Wyoming had the first operational ICBM site in the US, and qualifies as the world's seventh largest nuclear power because of the Minuteman wing at Cheyenne.  Also the only wing where the Peacekeeper (MX) missile was deployed.  Good friend of mine was the last squadron commander of that unit.

If you go that route, let me know if you need anything. I don't have any social skills, but I know missiles.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Skip the P-3.....

AWACS radar dome moment of zen

Link Posted: 5/22/2019 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#20]
plenty of photos available of this...

Link Posted: 5/22/2019 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I know you did a train last year, but they are tied together, as the first loco was at Promontory Point for the original ceremony, and Union Pacific just restored this one for the 150 year anniversary.
This definitely fits current events, and is somewhat local to you guys.

Following Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 Back Home to Cheyenne, Wy |4K 60fps | 5.19.19

Ogden UT Heritage Festival 150th - BIG BOY 4014 Living Legend No 844
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lots of missile history in your state.
Wyoming had the first operational ICBM site in the US, and qualifies as the world's seventh largest nuclear power because of the Minuteman wing at Cheyenne.  Also the only wing where the Peacekeeper (MX) missile was deployed.  Good friend of mine was the last squadron commander of that unit.

If you go that route, let me know if you need anything. I don't have any social skills, but I know missiles.  
View Quote
Plus all the recipes we would score.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the idea of a Saturn V, being the 50th of the moon landing this year and all.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I like the idea of a Saturn V, being the 50th of the moon landing this year and all.
View Quote
With a lunar module.

Shiny.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

With an hourly natural gas flare, with real flame!
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Robotics(graduated last Sunday and not required to be here at all) is currently installing the remainder of our electronics and hardware.

About 30min with students left this year.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Update 5/22

Final day for students.  Tomorrow is final day for teachers......and we are ALMOST finished.

Here are the parts and housings that have been so painstakingly created and 3D printed

This is the motor mount.

This is the tensioner.  It's really cool.

By this evening he had all installed and was activating the door.  It works.

Robotics is going to come back in tomorrow and wire up everything and finish the installation.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#32]
About half of what I thought I got.  

Using the chain garage style opener.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
A lot of the old ones were re-purposed WWII Bombers. I've seen a really cool B-17. Weirdest one I ever saw was a C-119 with a jet engine stuck on top of it to add extra thrust on takeoff.

Personally, I like the idea of a John Deere, but I'd go with an older one. Same with the combine - the early ones look really bizarre.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
About half of what I thought I got.  

Using the chain garage style opener.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37bpiW7HbVI
View Quote
Nice! That's a much more authoritative movement/closure than you were getting before.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What's wrong with it?    Or did you only get half the video?
View Quote
Phone was slow to start the recording, even though it started counting earlier.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nice! That's a much more authoritative movement/closure than you were getting before.
View Quote
We need to slow it down just a bit, and he said that was easy to do.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Update 5/23

Last day for teachers.  Who am I kidding?   I'll be back this weekend, I can smell it already.

My youngest son, referred to as Top_Men from his glory days of our Space Shuttle Engineering, got to come home for a week, and said he will help guide our current Robotics student through some of the obstacles he encountered with the programming of the Shuttle doors.   Robotics is supposed to show up today, but hasn't yet.   We are also trying to locate the extra limit switches that I know I placed somewhere.

I grabbed some shots of the installed "garage door" style door opener.

The Capitol Building and Library of Congress were also finished late yesterday and installed in the display.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#41]
We were discussing next year again, and specifically about the "Ag" display idea of the tractor.   We also are thinking of placing GPS satellites in orbit above the tractor and drone.  It would represent both robotics, and Ag well.    I got the go ahead from the robotics instructor to pull down all the trophies and banners that are currently displayed in that area.

The drone would have working motors, and the satellites would also hopefully be activated.

Could be a really cool display.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Where is the carrier attached to the door on the chain?   It's a nice setup, but it may need a spring to pull that last little bit closed, like a garage door preload spring, but not so big.

Could just be a limit switch/coding glitch, I don't know what's wrong, but interested in the door connection.
View Quote
I think he's just got it wired to the main door track frame.   I'll try to get a photo later.  I don't think that is what he intends to leave it as, but we will see.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks like the motor mount split along an extrusion layer. Is it under that much load, or overtightened when installed? May need to put some washers there if it's under much stress.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Looks like the motor mount split along an extrusion layer. Is it under that much load, or overtightened when installed? May need to put some washers there if it's under much stress.
View Quote
My guess is as brass said, probably over zealous with the driver.  I'll ask him about it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Update 5/24

Last day for teachers +1.  

Camera was a little canted....  sorry.  It's pretty level with the floor and sconce.

This was from yesterday afternoon.  He's working in programing now.  

This was taken about 30min ago.  He's still there.  He got the motion sensors mounted .  He hasn't asked for help with the programming yet.

When he gets it all working, I'll come back and airbrush the wiring to match.  I may even move it and cut a hole in the hull to mount these.  We will see how it goes.This is to the sensor thst faces front, and will activate the door, lights, and "Hail to the Chief "  

Second sensor is a bit more obvious.  It's in the intake.  Like before, it may get moved later.  This will activate the door, lights, and "Ride of the Valkyries ".
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I think he's just got it wired to the main door track frame.   I'll try to get a photo later.  I don't think that is what he intends to leave it as, but we will see.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is the carrier attached to the door on the chain?   It's a nice setup, but it may need a spring to pull that last little bit closed, like a garage door preload spring, but not so big.

Could just be a limit switch/coding glitch, I don't know what's wrong, but interested in the door connection.
That loose chain should probably have a tensioner sprocket on it.  
And, now that you are done , I feel bad for suggesting that you use a belt drive, rather than a chain, as it would likely be quieter.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
probably overtorqued the screw
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

you should probably reroute this wire so it isn't wire tied to the landing gear strut.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That loose chain should probably have a tensioner sprocket on it.  
And, now that you are done , I feel bad for suggesting that you use a belt drive, rather than a chain, as it would likely be quieter.
View Quote
He considered a belt, and was going that direction, but then changed back to the chain for ease of implementation and attachment to the door frame.

He's a pretty smart kid.  I'll bet once it's all tweaked it will be pretty smooth.  
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top