Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Super cool.

Paging Peter Sripol to GD. To GD please Peter.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

May have to order a roll.  I have hardened nozzles I've never installed.  Does it glue well?  I know a lot of the carbon filled filaments have a nylon base, which almost no glues bond to.
View Quote
Its a PLA base with a rough surface. CA works good on it..
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
is the skin printed too, or laminated over a printed endoskeleton?
View Quote
The skin is printed at the same time as all of the internal structure.  That's what makes for such a fast build.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Slic3r as far as I'm aware will not work.  Simplify3D is what I reccomend. It's really an awesome and powerful piece of software, but If you don't want to pay for it, Cura is a free option.  I don't have a set of profiles figured out for Cura, but you can google for 3dlabprint settings for Cura.
View Quote
Ill have to pick it up, when I get paid. Slicer is having a shit fit with the models..
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Would adding canards up front drastically affect it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ill have to pick it up, when I get paid. Slicer is having a shit fit with the models..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Totally worth it if you do a lot of printing.  I believe you can download it as a trial for free for 30 days if you don't want to wait to play with it.  And yeah....   Slicer does not like thin wall STL's.

Quoted:
Would adding canards up front drastically affect it?
Canards would drastically alter the entire setup.  CG would move, you could run into interference between the front and rear.  I wouldn't attempt it on the design as it is.  Got some other planes with Canards though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#7]
What are you using for a print base?

I have a ghetto Prusa, maybe it is time to upgrade from the blue tape and glue stick.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What are you using for a print base?

I have a ghetto Prusa, maybe it is time to upgrade from the blue tape and glue stick.
View Quote
That's the standard PEI sheet that comes with all of the original Prusa mkII's.  I've currently got a thin layer of glue stick on it that's been there for quite a few prints.  Not really needed for PLA, but for polycarbonate it helps with adhesion, and for PETG it cuts down on bed adhesion.  That green is PETG.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Super cool.

Paging Peter Sripol to GD. To GD please Peter.
View Quote
I believe Peter has already seen it.  Think I saw a like from him on facebook. Maybe I'll send him one to crash.  This thing needs rockets, and it's too dry where I live to safely play with them this time of year.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I believe Peter has already seen it.  Think I saw a like from him on facebook. Maybe I'll send him one to crash.  This thing needs rockets, and it's too dry where I live to safely play with them this time of year.
View Quote
haha. I want to see what he can do with this. Admittedly it really makes me want a 3d printer so I can make one too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#11]
That would make a neat display piece too.

Just have to back light it so the details show.

Very cool.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Very cool.
View Quote
One of my next builds will have internal led's for night flying.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Badass!
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Will this work with ABS?  I have a dual extruder Flashforge Creator pro and I have a hard time using PLA.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:41:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Will this work with ABS?  I have a dual extruder Flashforge Creator pro and I have a hard time using PLA.
View Quote
Maybe.  I'd strongly recommend using petg instead.  Should print similar to abs without the warping issues.  Would probably bypass the trouble pla gives you as well on that style printer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:50:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's the standard PEI sheet that comes with all of the original Prusa mkII's.  I've currently got a thin layer of glue stick on it that's been there for quite a few prints.  Not really needed for PLA, but for polycarbonate it helps with adhesion, and for PETG it cuts down on bed adhesion.  That green is PETG.
View Quote
DUDE! PrintBite.. MUCH MUCH better than PEI.. hangs on tight and when cool slides right off.. I was using PEI first but PrintBite makes it look like crap..

https://flex3drive.com/printbite/
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

DUDE! PrintBite.. MUCH MUCH better than PEI.. hangs on tight and when cool slides right off.. I was using PEI first but PrintBite makes it look like crap..

https://flex3drive.com/printbite/
View Quote
I'll have to check it out.  Not looking to fix what isn't broken on the prusas, but I have a CR-10 S4 with a 400x400 flex steel print bed that could use something better than buildtac.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 1:05:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool.
Oooh I like that idea!
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 1:06:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Ok no luck on the Demo, BUT they have a student version discount. So I sent in my info for that.. Thanks again!

I have some Crystal Raptor PLA from makergeeks I'm going to use to print this in..
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 1:20:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok no luck on the Demo, BUT they have a student version discount. So I sent in my info for that.. Thanks again!

I have some Crystal Raptor PLA from makergeeks I'm going to use to print this in..
View Quote
Darn, they must have stopped the demo.  At least you get a discount.

PLA will do the trick, just keep it out of the heat.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#21]
PETG seems to be working pretty darned well.

Here's my settings:

I'm using my printer in an enclosure, and one that's outside of one.  Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Nozzle: 0.4mm
Extrusion Multi: 1.0
Extrusion Width: 0.42mm
Retraction: 1.8mm
Extra Restart: .04mm
Retraction Lift: 0.05mm
Retraction Speed: 40mm/sec
Coasting Distance: 0.1mm
Wipe Distance: 5.0mm
Layer Outline Direction:  Outside - In
First Layer Height: 100%
First Layer Width:  110%
First Layer Speed: 40%
Nozzle Temp: 240C
Bed Temp: 90C
Print Speed: 50mm/sec
Cooling Fan: 30% power after 3mm have been printed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Dang it OP, you got me thinking about my printer again and got me motivated to get my stuff working.  Printing some Dillion upgrades as we speak.

This is gonna end up costing me money, I just know it.  And I just bought a 4m sailplane.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dang it OP, you got me thinking about my printer again and got me motivated to get my stuff working.  Printing some Dillion upgrades as we speak.

This is gonna end up costing me money, I just know it.  And I just bought a 4m sailplane.  
View Quote
Nah man, plastic is cheap.  If you've got a 4m sailplane you probably already have servos, esc's, and a receiver lying around.  All you need is a motor if you don't have one close to the recommended specs.    Motor is only 19.99.

I like being the devil, er fiend, on peoples shoulders.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nah man, plastic is cheap.  If you've got a 4m sailplane you probably already have servos, esc's, and a receiver lying around.  All you need is a motor if you don't have one close to the recommended specs.    Motor is only 19.99.

I like being the devil, er fiend, on peoples shoulders.  
View Quote
I need to fix a few things on my printer like installing a bed heater relay.  And the speed annoys me, so I hope I don't end up with a new printer.  

I still have most of a pound of PLA, but it seems to break with the slightest pressure, might be time for another roll.  Right now I am printing out some Nerf gun parts, that should make my son happy at least.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I need to fix a few things on my printer like installing a bed heater relay.  And the speed annoys me, so I hope I don't end up with a new printer.  

I still have most of a pound of PLA, but it seems to break with the slightest pressure, might be time for another roll.  Right now I am printing out some Nerf gun parts, that should make my son happy at least.  
View Quote
Heh, two printers are better than one.  

It's a good thing printers weren't around when I was a kid.  I'd have built myself a very scary nerf gun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn fine looking plane! Looks like I have to get printing, Thanks for all your hard work on this.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Heh, two printers are better than one.  

It's a good thing printers weren't around when I was a kid.  I'd have built myself a very scary nerf gun.
View Quote
My kid is 6, but Nerf gun obsessed.  A while back he told me "Dad, you have to always remember to carry a spare magazine, in case you have a malfunction, it is faster to swap to your backup."  His mom looked at me like .  
Last week he was over at the dart war place and took great pride in knocking a bunch of teens and adults out during the rounds.  I guess they were not nearly as amused as he was.

Same kid told me he needed a kids welding helmet.  When I asked why he looked at me like I was an idiot; "How am I supposed to learn to weld without a helmet?"  Guess the look I got from mom?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Damn fine looking plane! Looks like I have to get printing, Thanks for all your hard work on this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No problem.  I needed a quicker project I could print in a reasonable amount of time, this one worked out better than I was hoping.

Quoted:

My kid is 6, but Nerf gun obsessed.  A while back he told me "Dad, you have to always remember to carry a spare magazine, in case you have a malfunction, it is faster to swap to your backup."  His mom looked at me like .  
Last week he was over at the dart war place and took great pride in knocking a bunch of teens and adults out during the rounds.  I guess they were not nearly as amused as he was.

Same kid told me he needed a kids welding helmet.  When I asked why he looked at me like I was an idiot; "How am I supposed to learn to weld without a helmet?"  Guess the look I got from mom?
Haha, sounds like a good kid.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Trying to resist the urge to glue these together....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Getting ready to go fly the first PETG version.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Cool. What printer is that? Do you just hook it up to your computer and run the designs you want?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cool. What printer is that? Do you just hook it up to your computer and run the designs you want?
View Quote
I use a Prusa i3 MK2s.  However, cheaper printers can get the same results.  You can hook the printer up to your computer, though most also accept an SD card, so you can just copy the files you want to print onto those instead of running a cable.

Browse thingiverse.com, or myminifactory.  There's probably hundreds of thousands of things out there you can download and print.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I use a Prusa i3 MK2s.  However, cheaper printers can get the same results.  You can hook the printer up to your computer, though most also accept an SD card, so you can just copy the files you want to print onto those instead of running a cable.

Browse thingiverse.com, or myminifactory.  There's probably hundreds of thousands of things out there you can download and print.
View Quote
Great, thanks. What do you think of this one? 3D Printer

I like the build size.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Great, thanks. What do you think of this one? 3D Printer

I like the build size.
View Quote
Never heard of that brand, it's probably a cheaper clone of the Creality CR-10s.  Which is in turn basically a bigger clone of the Prusa.  It does look to have direct drive though, which is good, I've just never heard of it.

If you have a use for the larger print area, or just want the option, I'd look at a CR-10 instead.  Massive amount of online support for that one, lots of people own them.

CR-10S from Gearbest

I have an even larger version of one of those.  A CR-10S-4, which I've been quite impressed with.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Never heard of that brand, it's probably a cheaper clone of the Creality CR-10s.  Which is in turn basically a bigger clone of the Prusa.  It does look to have direct drive though, which is good, I've just never heard of it.

If you have a use for the larger print area, or just want the option, I'd look at a CR-10 instead.  Massive amount of online support for that one, lots of people own them.

CR-10S from Gearbest

I have an even larger version of one of those.  A CR-10S-4, which I've been quite impressed with.
View Quote
Thanks, I like that $300 or less price point. I will look at their different models.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#37]
PETG doesn't affect flight characteristics.  It's lighter too.

https://youtu.be/JRH7djd_E_w

36" Pike PETG Version Maiden 8.12.18
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#38]
That's so cool. I should try to get back into RC planes. I was for a while when I was younger. I still have a bunch of the stuff.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That's so cool. I should try to get back into RC planes. I was for a while when I was younger. I still have a bunch of the stuff.
View Quote
Stuff has gotten really cheap. Makes crashing no big deal as well if you print your planes, or build them in a weekend out of foamboard.  Very easy to have a ton of fun.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Stuff has gotten really cheap. Makes crashing no big deal as well if you print your planes, or build them in a weekend out of foamboard.  Very easy to have a ton of fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup.  And crazy the amount of cheap stuff that is great.  A few years ago I used to fly slope in a spot that was over the water and the landing area had palm trees and a pool.  Actual landing spot was maybe 2x15'.  A few people asked what I was going to do if I landed in the water...who cares?  $15 in servos and $10 in an rx was the cheap price of fun.

Yet people still buy so many of the crappy ARFs out there.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yup.  And crazy the amount of cheap stuff that is great.  A few years ago I used to fly slope in a spot that was over the water and the landing area had palm trees and a pool.  Actual landing spot was maybe 2x15'.  A few people asked what I was going to do if I landed in the water...who cares?  $15 in servos and $10 in an rx was the cheap price of fun.

Yet people still buy so many of the crappy ARFs out there.  
View Quote
And if you use something like corrosion X, even the electronics will all survive and work underwater.  You'll just have to swim out and grab your plane.  Stuff with motors has a few more options.....

Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And if you use something like corrosion X, even the electronics will all survive and work underwater.  You'll just have to swim out and grab your plane.  Stuff with motors has a few more options.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGE_SQyMDU
View Quote
I have to admit, I have seen so low inverted passes, but that takes the cake.

I have been kicking around the idea of a small underwater UAV.  Pretty much standard process for those folks to just leave the motors exposed to (fresh) water.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have been kicking around the idea of a small underwater UAV.  Pretty much standard process for those folks to just leave the motors exposed to (fresh) water.  
View Quote
Yeah, I've wanted to do the same thing.  Would be a ton of fun to stick an FPV camera on one and follow fishing lures while trolling.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yeah, I've wanted to do the same thing.  Would be a ton of fun to stick an FPV camera on one and follow fishing lures while trolling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spend some summers at an old retired gold mind around here and there is a lake with a bunch of old equipment in it.  Has always been debate what is in there and I am not crazy about the idea of diving it until I knew what was there better.  I had planned to go up with my side CHIRP sonar this year and it just didn't happen.  I wouldn't mind risking an UAV.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thanks, I like that $300 or less price point. I will look at their different models.
View Quote
Also, consider the Alfawise U20. It's a copy of the CR-10 (yes, the Chinese even copy themselves). It's $279 at Gearbest with the code GB-$20OFF. It's very easy to assemble and get running.

I've had one for a few weeks, you can see my review of it at https://youtu.be/Kb7sqyXvHMU

If you're good at mechanical assembly and setting stuff up, the Ender 3 is only $179. I've got two of them and get great prints. If you're not, stick with the Alfawise U20, CR-10 or if you want to splurge, the Prusa.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#46]
OP, thanks for making the models available on Thingiverse, I'm not an R/C guy but I know a couple of people who are and I'm sure they'll be interested. At 40 hours I may print a couple to give away. it's nice that it will print on a 200x200 printer, that's right in the range of the Ender 3.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
OP, thanks for making the models available on Thingiverse, I'm not an R/C guy but I know a couple of people who are and I'm sure they'll be interested. At 40 hours I may print a couple to give away. it's nice that it will print on a 200x200 printer, that's right in the range of the Ender 3.
View Quote
No problem man.  I wanted the plane to be as universally printable as possible.  200x200 is kind of the standard size.  Working on a version that's 25% smaller and will print on 150x150 printers.  Needs a .3mm nozzle for that one to save on weight though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#48]
OP got me inspired to start printing some bigger stuff.

Decided I would start with the utility ship that Peter Sripol had printed, kicked off the rear section this morning in my office and to be honest...forgot about it.

Walked in to the first part of the print laying on the floor and about a 4oz ball of plastic wrapped around the print head.  Oops.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OP got me inspired to start printing some bigger stuff.

Decided I would start with the utility ship that Peter Sripol had printed, kicked off the rear section this morning in my office and to be honest...forgot about it.

Walked in to the first part of the print laying on the floor and about a 4oz ball of plastic wrapped around the print head.  Oops.  
View Quote
Hah, that sucks.  Peter's boat uses a lot of filament, if you're doing the big one.

At least if the airplanes parts fail to print you generally just get spagetti instead of giant chunks of plastic.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#50]
For anyone's that interested, simplify 3d factory files and prepared gcodes for all parts in petg have been added to the thingiverse page.

If you have an i3 style printer with at least 200x200x170mm of build area you can give the prepared gcodes a try without any configuration or setup.

The factory files will let you tweak my optimal settings to suit your printer and filament if you have simplify3d.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top