BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Hardie is good stuff.

Looks good, feels solid, low maintenance.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone have experience with Everlogs? Log / Timber look concrete siding

Looks interesting to me. Wife and I plan to build in a few years and ideally we'd want to do ICF with wood look concrete siding to get the look of a log/timber home without the maintenance
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m a painter. Cedar shingles, let them grey out and keep them clean. Enjoy the next 25 years of your life with out worrying about your siding.
View Quote
Enjoy woodpecker hell.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://www.everlogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/McCall_Idaho_Plank_Timber_Siding_01.jpg

https://www.everlogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Concrete_House_Log_Siding_Ranch_Club_41.jpg

Looks interesting to me. Wife and I plan to build in a few years and ideally we'd want to do ICF with wood look concrete siding to get the look of a log/timber home without the maintenance
View Quote
That looks cool.

My mother’s place has seamless steel siding. Still Looks great after 18 years.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Hardie is no longer the new thing . . . .  sucks to work with, paint doesn't always stick to it,  . . . .

LP Smart Siding is where it's at now OP.  Look into it.  And cheaper than Hardie.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Hardie - look over there options
Cedar is very nice
Vinyl - not very storm durable, fades, cheap looking because it is cheap.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.everlogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/McCall_Idaho_Plank_Timber_Siding_01.jpg

https://www.everlogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Concrete_House_Log_Siding_Ranch_Club_41.jpg

View Quote
Looks like it would be great if you wanted to make a fireproof/resistant cabin too!!  What is its fire rating?  I am doing yard work or would look it up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How does LP Smartside stack up?  Lots of builders in the area are using that.  Looks easier to work with than Hardie.
View Quote
I used to sell a lot of LP, they had displays with sledge hammers that could go up and fall on them. The paint was never damaged and they have a good warranty. Last I priced it was a long time ago but think it was like $260 a square.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hardie/thread.
View Quote
yep. re-doing  my entire exterior... one side at a time
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
V
About once a year I pressure wash my vinyl. The mildew here attacks everything.  Comes out looking great. I guess there's other stuff but I do know I stain my back deck every couple years, and have to repaint my front porch every few years. Sure wish I could just pressure wash them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Looks like it would be great if you wanted to make a fireproof/resistant cabin too!!  What is its fire rating?  I am doing yard work or would look it up.
View Quote
Manufacturer says an A rating, not sure the criteria or difficulty for a material to get that
https://www.everlogs.com/meeting-new-fire-code-requirements-with-everlog-siding/
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#12]
we build about 300-350 homes a year and primarily use Hardi board, prepainted at the factory, it's called colorplus and comes with a 15 year warranty. Great way to go if you can find the color you want
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Hardie board if install correctly. I bricked the house but I cement boarded the detach garage and the carport/shed. I had contract just to have the two buildings blacked in.
Spec out 16" stud centers all wrapped in 5/8" board.  Contractor said I spec over kill but I wanted something solid to nail onto. I went with 7.5 " boards giving a 5" showing. All blind nailed with 2"
galv ringed fencing nails. I nailed it 16" center into the studs. Don't skimp on the quality of your chalking. It was pre primed but I did use Bullseyes 123 tinted to the color of the final coat. Use a good quality paint too.

I did the ceiling in the carport with 12" wide boards no over lap but butted to each other. Love that I can BBQ under the carport when the weather is bad. Can't do that with vinyl, maybe with wood.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why not LP or Hardie all around?  I looked at LP last year and another pro for me was that the boards were longer so less seams.
View Quote
I wanted Hardie all around but my house has a significant amount of curved trim boards around dormers, Windows, etc. that the contractor said would be labor intensive ($$$) to fabricate with Hardie because supposedly it’s a pain to cut.

2 of the 3 custom home builders we solicited bids from told me they prefer Hardie siding with LP trim boards and the warranty is valid for both products as long as they’re installed correctly.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top