Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The idea of living in the cool quiet mountains is quaint and appealing but the reality is that building a house on a rock pile is a pain in the ass.

Walking up hill is a pain in the ass.
Living in wooded terrain is hot and no breeze and a pain in the ass.
Snakes, bugs, varmints, methbillys, and long drives to ANYTHING, are a pain in the ass.
Digging a trench or septic tank or fence post is a pain in the ass.

It's not for old people.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#2]
WV will probably be the last state in the area to turn blue.
Liberals hate all things WV, so they are not moving there anytime soon.
And constitutional carry.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't know there were mountains on the East Coast.  They look like foothills.
View Quote
They’re just old and worn down next to the western new tangle mountains.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It was solid Dem for as long as can remember, up until recently. The king of pork Robert "KKK" Byrd days.
View Quote
Fixed.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maryville, TN is great. Good access to lots of lakes, the mountains, and Knoxville. Easy to get away from things.
View Quote
This. Absolutely great.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have no clue, as you know meth and meth-billies are a major problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did they ever get their crime problem under control?
Have no clue, as you know meth and meth-billies are a major problem.
I remember when I was researching areas I saw it made the list of 'Top 10 Most Dangerous Small Towns in America'.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I moved from WNC to ETN. I like it here. People are pretty tolerant here so we get our share of "liberals." Most are not radical though. I find ETN much more conservative than NC. It's a beautiful place and a good place to live.
If you want to live in a beautiful place that is sometimes pretty frigid in deep winter. I have 2 acres on the Watauga River 15 miles from Boone. (There is probably an EE thread if it hasn't been moved to the archives.)
Come to think of it NC could use some "right thinking" imigrants. LOL!
Good Luck in your search.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well said-and true.

Of the states you've mentioned TN is my favorite. Johnson City might be worth a look.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You won't want to live in Gatlinburg or any other part of Sevier County unless you really like driving around with a shitpile of tuned-out tourists.
Well said-and true.

Of the states you've mentioned TN is my favorite. Johnson City might be worth a look.
I’ve found Johnson City to be fairly liberal.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You won't want to live in Gatlinburg or any other part of Sevier County unless you really like driving around with a shitpile of tuned-out tourists.
Well said-and true.

It’s a college town, what do you expect?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
NO! If there's one spot to survive the zombie apocalypse east of the Mississippi Robbinsville/Graham County would be it. Only a couple roads in and out, middle of nowhere next to nothing. That being said, thats the biggest issue there's nothing there. I live in WNC and love being in the middle of nowhere but I also enjoy going out and finding a decent meal and having a beer. That aint happening there, because the county is Dry! Except the meadery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally, I’d buy a house right outside of Robbinsville NC. It’s a quiet little town that sees a lot of automotive and motorcycle traffic due to its proximity to us129.  Then again, I love all things car and motorbike, it doesn’t bother me.
NO! If there's one spot to survive the zombie apocalypse east of the Mississippi Robbinsville/Graham County would be it. Only a couple roads in and out, middle of nowhere next to nothing. That being said, thats the biggest issue there's nothing there. I live in WNC and love being in the middle of nowhere but I also enjoy going out and finding a decent meal and having a beer. That aint happening there, because the county is Dry! Except the meadery.
It's an easy drive to Tellico or Bryson City.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:31:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don’t see how that would be possible.    Even if it’s 4% more, $100,000 worth of purchases would only be $4000(additional).

Do you pay sales tax on Land purchases?

Buying (or building) a house?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"You ain't from round here,  are you boy?"
Every talking about no state income tax in TN should check out the high sales tax.  We found that it just about compensates for what you would pay for state income tax.
I don’t see how that would be possible.    Even if it’s 4% more, $100,000 worth of purchases would only be $4000(additional).

Do you pay sales tax on Land purchases?

Buying (or building) a house?
Dunno about your questions butthis site claims to help you estimate tax costs based on your income:

https://smartasset.com/taxes/tennessee-tax-calculator

There is probably a certain amount of deductions etc when filing state income taxes, on 60k TN was about 2k cheaper l, all together, than the provilidge of living in GA.  Really it is not a big deal if you are having to drive lots and lots more to go shopping or whatever.

ETA: but GA also has this brutal tax when you buy a new car, some guy at a job site the other day told me it was like $2k to register something like a new camry!  Like fuck YOU working families amirite!  No wonder the rich are doing that thing w registering their cars to Montana corporations
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:39:45 AM EDT
[#15]
https://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/

@Flysc

@USCG_CPO

Note that data is from 2010 census.

Correlation to crime rate maps is 110%

Wish my jax was more like detroit or charlotte or other places where there was more simple and clear delineation.

Main problem in jax is all the damn apartmebt complexes sprinkled about that become section 8 or whatever.  Would like to generally decrease my chances of day to day interactions with lower class (most)... well ill stop right there.

Course, there be methbillies in them hills.  Wonder if theyvare apt to hold it against you if you shoot their tweaker cousin while breaking into your house, or if they figure it was just fair play??
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:52:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It was solid Dem for as long as can remember, up until recently. The king of pork Robert Byrd days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WV will probably be the last state in the area to turn blue.
Liberals hate all things WV, so they are not moving there anytime soon.
And constitutional carry.
It was solid Dem for as long as can remember, up until recently. The king of pork Robert Byrd days.
Well that was back when dems were the party of the working class, back before they became 100% fuck the working class american and blame whites for EVERYTHING.

Now the dem party is 100% fuck the working/middle class/whites and the republican party is 50% all those things, so long as we can keep sheldon adleson from bribing trump to start a war in syria or wrest immigration policy from the goddammed chamber of commerce
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:59:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Only mountains Id ever move to are the Rockies or Cascades.  Im already as far east as I ever care to go.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:15:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It’s strange that you’re factoring in those elevation differentials. They’re negligible.

Your property’s exposure (NSE  or W) will have much more of an impact. If you don’t get sun, it will be like being thousands of feet higher
View Quote
@NoVaGator

Thank you so micu for this insight!!

So what youbare saying is that if your place is on the north side of a slope it will be like living mich higher on the S side?  Or on the S side higher up it will feel like being at lower elevation?

Feel free to explain in more detail, thanks
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:28:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know nothing about TN, but I grew up in N GA and now live in WNC. If gun laws matter GA is best. Taxes looks like TN wins. Amount to do, most towns and mountains WNC wins.

Depending how much snow, cool weather you want you can look at the Boone area and Highland Plateau, which is Highlands, Cashiers (pronounced Cashers), Glenville, Sapphire. Ive got a little farm by Highlands which is about 1.25 hours from Asheville and 2 from the Atlanta area, it never really gets above 80* and we got a little over 2' of snow last year, sometimes we'll get three. There's a lot of money around downtown Highlands and Cashiers, but if you get a couple miles outside of the towns prices drop significantly. Glenville (Lake Glennville) is the highest lake east of the Mississippi. The area offers awesome outdoor activities and has a pretty good restaurants and nightlife, if thats important. Close to there is Sylva and Franklin, both nice mountain towns, Sylva has the college there and a little more to do.

Other areas in WNC is like you said Boone, Waynesville is a awesome little town. Its about 20 miles from Asheville, sits at almost 3k in elevation. The downtown is great and the county its in, has the most peaks above 5k feet in the Appalachian Mountains. Murphy, Bryson City, Brevard and West Jefferson all are towns to look at.

In GA, Clayton (Rabun County) is awesome. Blairsville and Blue Ridge are other options.

On edit...
The amount of people worried about snow. Go back to Florida. That's one thing that makes this place awesome. I wish I could post pictures, Ive got a couple amazing ones from last years storm.
View Quote
Great post, i will save allt his info and consider it in detail!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:38:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The idea of living in the cool quiet mountains is quaint and appealing but the reality is that building a house on a rock pile is a pain in the ass.

Snakes, bugs, varmints, methbillys, and long drives to ANYTHING, are a pain in the ass.

It's not for old people.
View Quote
The wind does not blow much in applatia?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:39:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good luck driving around.  I recommend finding a gazetter and the most details street and road maps you can find to avoid the road from Pigeon Forge til you are clear of the entire mess.

I'd rate the traffic on par with I70 into Denver on Sunday evening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck driving around.  I recommend finding a gazetter and the most details street and road maps you can find to avoid the road from Pigeon Forge til you are clear of the entire mess.

I'd rate the traffic on par with I70 into Denver on Sunday evening.
fuck!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:47:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I moved from WNC to ETN. I like it here. People are pretty tolerant here so we get our share of "liberals." Most are not radical though. I find ETN much more conservative than NC. It's a beautiful place and a good place to live.
If you want to live in a beautiful place that is sometimes pretty frigid in deep winter. I have 2 acres on the Watauga River 15 miles from Boone. (There is probably an EE thread if it hasn't been moved to the archives.)
Come to think of it NC could use some "right thinking" imigrants. LOL!
Good Luck in your search.
View Quote
Was kind of thinking of living somewhere in TN close to boone, hence mountain city or Trade, TN.   Boone is the only town In E US over 10k people over 3k feet.  Would probably be big enough for the wife to be the place to go to to shop, take kids for homeschool group activities or private school etc. plus ypu get a bit of a sales tax break maybe.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:51:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:41:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not for old people.
App Uh Latch Uh

And yes, the winds blow.  And blow.  And blow.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:02:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They don't welcome, it's still small town/who you know in a lot of places
 They'll tolerate you, but you and your kids will always be immigrants.  Maybe even your grandkids.
View Quote
QFT.  You will always be referred to as the people from Florida among the locals.  Homework assignment read this book: Our Southern Highlanders
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Was kind of thinking of living somewhere in TN close to boone, hence mountain city or Trade, TN.   Boone is the only town In E US over 10k people over 3k feet.  Would probably be big enough for the wife to be the place to go to to shop, take kids for homeschool group activities or private school etc. plus ypu get a bit of a sales tax break maybe.  
View Quote
Have you been to Boone? Its a very liberal and expensive area as it is a college town. Decent restaurant choices though.

Personally I don't mind driving through there but there is no way I could be surrounded by almost nothing but Liberal college kids all the time.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Anywhere but NC you will be fine.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Just left Hendersonville, NC for life in Idaho. Happy wife...

If I was going back I'd be looking 20 miles south, at the higher foothills on the NC/SC border (well prior to Travelers Rest). You're still in the mountains, but within 30 minutes of Greenville, SC (which is a booming metro area, with jobs out the yin-yang).

That keeps you in the mild summers (SC is hot as hell), but out of the worst of the winters (I went to ASU, Boone can get serious snow). You're in deep blue country and surrounded by some of the nicest people in the country.

You're also well clear of the beggars on every street corner in Asheville, and the tattooed obesity in Hendersonville. The people in H'ville are great, but the lingering poverty in the Appalachians is a real thing.

Also - Brevard is beautiful...Steve Martin spends a lot of time there.

Highlands is full of rich people with second homes. Check the climate data. It's in a weird semi-almost-tropical belt that gets huge amounts of rainfall.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I have considered WV, but the opioid epidemic there gives me pause.  WV has the highest rate of deaths due to opioid abuse of any state in the country.  This makes me wonder about the crime rate.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@NoVaGator

So what youbare saying is that if your place is on the north side of a slope it will be like living mich higher on the S side?  Or on the S side higher up it will feel like being at lower elevation?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s strange that you’re factoring in those elevation differentials. They’re negligible.

Your property’s exposure (NSE  or W) will have much more of an impact. If you don’t get sun, it will be like being thousands of feet higher
@NoVaGator

I'm saying that if your property is on the shady side of *anything* or in a hollow it's going to make your winters seem much worse.

You're also going to experience orographic lift living on mountains. (leeward vs windward makes a big difference)

Temperature wise, you'll be somewhat cooler throughout the year at higher elevations... it's about 4 deg per 1000 feet here... not sure what it is there due to the impact of humidity.

The elevation differences in the areas that you're considering won't have a noticeable difference at all from a physiological standpoint (how your lungs feel) although it might have a psychological impact.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I lived in Johnson City for a while in the mid 90's, a very nice area.

I need long range shooting land so I'm moving west rather than east otherwise I would consider east Tennessee again.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Just got back from a week at Pigeon Forge, TN. Beautiful country. Hit at just the right time for the fall leaves
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Mountains are nice to visit, but as others have mentioned you’ll have snow to deal with in the winter. Always sounds like a great thing until you have to drive in it on a twisting road. I live at about 1500-1600 ft elevation on the Cumberland Plateau and the winters are very mild.  Lot of public land within short driving distance and solidly conservative.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/420318/9D6184BD-E2D5-4AA0-BAAE-568BC1D0AE26_jpeg-726186.JPG
View Quote
I'm guessing you're in the BSFNRR area. I rented a cabin (on Obey Blevins Lane) there in late August. Great place, almost desolate. Hot and humid like Ohio. Saw loads of wildlife (bear, deer, turkey).
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Gilliam and Abrams.  What a combo, yeesh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Gilliam and Abrams.  What a combo, yeesh.
Ithose last names, if I did not know better i would think theyvwere jewish and irish, anyway, yeah, no kidding
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Im nor worried, even if she gets elected Georgia Officer can be counted on to do whats right
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just left Hendersonville, NC for life in Idaho. Happy wife...

If I was going back I'd be looking 20 miles south, at the higher foothills on the NC/SC border (well prior to Travelers Rest). You're still in the mountains, but within 30 minutes of Greenville, SC (which is a booming metro area, with jobs out the yin-yang).

That keeps you in the mild summers (SC is hot as hell), but out of the worst of the winters (I went to ASU, Boone can get serious snow). You're in deep blue country and surrounded by some of the nicest people in the country.

You're also well clear of the beggars on every street corner in Asheville, and the tattooed obesity in Hendersonville. The people in H'ville are great, but the lingering poverty in the Appalachians is a real thing.

Also - Brevard is beautiful...Steve Martin spends a lot of time there.

Highlands is full of rich people with second homes. Check the climate data. It's in a weird semi-almost-tropical belt that gets huge amounts of rainfall.
View Quote
Thats a thought i will look into.  Obviously i am looking to live uphill but somewhere reasonably close to a decent sized town or city.

And maybe Boone is not a good target if a big part of its ~10k pop is just the students.  Not sure if they count
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#39]
TN was my destination because of no Income Tax, Retiree Tax friendly, low property tax, cheap mountain land but it's now the primary resettling destination for slime oozing out of NY & NJ.

A friend of mine, his fiancée's folks retired to TN and they said prices are already starting to skyrocket (for built-up areas, not rough mountain property).

I'm starting to rethink my retirement plan of buying remote property and am thinking maybe the way to go is nomad - buy an all terrain RV-type vehicle and just travel the land seeking out injustice and lonely mothers and widder wimminz...

And as for Memphis being a libtard shithole, NC has Asheville, Charlotte, Greensboro and GA has The ATL and probably more urban dumps than NC and TN combined!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
TN was my destination because of no Income Tax, Retiree Tax friendly, low property tax, cheap mountain land but it's now the primary resettling destination for slime oozing out of NY & NJ.

A friend of mine, his fiancée's folks retired to TN and they said prices are already starting to skyrocket (for built-up areas, not rough mountain property).

I'm starting to rethink my retirement plan of buying remote property and am thinking maybe the way to go is nomad - buy an all terrain RV-type vehicle and just travel the land seeking out injustice and lonely mothers and widder wimminz...

And as for Memphis being a libtard shithole, NC has Asheville, Charlotte, Greensboro and GA has The ATL and probably more urban dumps than NC and TN combined!
View Quote
https://www.manvandogblog.com/
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I always wanted live in the mountains, and somewhere w/ large public lands that are not flat pinewoods/swamps, AND MILDER SUMMERS!  Wife is always wanted to stay close to here mother.  For reasons that I won't go into she feeling at liberty from that.  We were looking for a place anyway, she says, maybe we just move to the (appalachian) mountains.  Now I am seriously thinking about it... been doing some research.  Kids are still very young, FWIW, we are about 40, now or never probably...    I can live most anywhere w/ my job probably.

Did some research into GA, TN, NC, VA, taxes, voting patterns etc.  TN seems pretty compelling, no income tax, overall taxes should be be a little less, all together, little less than FL.  NC slightly more, then VA, then GA.

The thing I like about TN is that eh 2016 election was not even close, something over 60% voted trump, but what is even more impressive is that less than 35% voted Clinton. And this margin has grown rather than shrunk as the older legacy southern democrats are dying off (or waking up to the fact that the barren godless democrat base wants to try to keep up w/ conservative breeders by flooding our country with masses of incompatible invaders?) plus lots of working people w/ families move to TN I believe.
https://i.imgur.com/QyI1Z3P.png

GA, VA, NC were all close to 50/50.  This makes me feel like my firearms rights are safer in the long term.

Can you carry fixed blade daggers etc in TN w/ or w/o a CWL?  I am a  knife maker(hobbiest)/lover/carrier.  GA has some pretty sweet recent knife laws. How about NC & TN??

NC does have some advantages, There are more towns at more elevation in W NC than in NE tip of TN where i would be looking at, near the NC/TN Border.

TN: Would like to live up the mountain as high as possible reasonably close to maybe Gatlinburg, Greenville, Johnson City or Bristol, for example: Mountain City.

NC: up hill around Boone (~3300) or Ashville perhaps.  Bone is the highest city of > 10k E of the Mississippi.  Ashville (area) is the highest city of >100k east of the Mississippi, I believe.  There are places around boone  about 4k feet up.

What do you guys think??
View Quote
mountains of Kentucky FTW
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sounds like a GREAT plan for an single older fellow.  But what is a widder?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thats a thought i will look into.  Obviously i am looking to live uphill but somewhere reasonably close to a decent sized town or city.

And maybe Boone is not a good target if a big part of its ~10k pop is just the students.  Not sure if they count
View Quote
OP, this was the view from my back porch (which is 40 feet in the air...my crawlspace was 24 feet high at the deep end). The porch faced north-west, almost straight at Asheville. Couple of points:

- Research your builder, and make damn sure he has a solid reputation for building in the mountains. Water management is a huge thing...you can't believe the velocity of the that amount of rainfall coming down the side of a mountain. HGTV brought in some fancy-pants outside builder to put up a dream house in Lake Lure. I've been told it had huge problems as a result.

- Being on a mountaintop has it's drawbacks. One contractor looked at me and said, "Tad windy up here?" I laughed and told him the wind frequently howled. He said, "There's a reason mountain people live in the hollows..." On the other hand, it would be 90 degrees in Hendersonville (2000 ft). My house (3000 ft) would be 84 or 85 degrees at most. There's a reason George Vanderbilt built Biltmore in Asheville, prior to AC.

- Check amenities and services closely - you're not going to have that huge field of highly qualified doctors and dentists, or the cultural and shopping variety. The feeling of isolation can be very strong in the mountains. It really played on my wife.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sounds like a GREAT plan for an single older fellow.  But what is a widder?
View Quote
LOL "widow"
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't count on the "cooler summers" thing, it's still hot as hell, other than that, I'd move back to TN if I had to make a choice.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I always wanted live in the mountains, and somewhere w/ large public lands that are not flat pinewoods/swamps, AND MILDER SUMMERS!  Wife is always wanted to stay close to here mother.  For reasons that I won't go into she feeling at liberty from that.  We were looking for a place anyway, she says, maybe we just move to the (appalachian) mountains.  Now I am seriously thinking about it... been doing some research.  Kids are still very young, FWIW, we are about 40, now or never probably...    I can live most anywhere w/ my job probably.

Did some research into GA, TN, NC, VA, taxes, voting patterns etc.  TN seems pretty compelling, no income tax, overall taxes should be be a little less, all together, little less than FL.  NC slightly more, then VA, then GA.

The thing I like about TN is that eh 2016 election was not even close, something over 60% voted trump, but what is even more impressive is that less than 35% voted Clinton. And this margin has grown rather than shrunk as the older legacy southern democrats are dying off (or waking up to the fact that the barren godless democrat base wants to try to keep up w/ conservative breeders by flooding our country with masses of incompatible invaders?) plus lots of working people w/ families move to TN I believe.
https://i.imgur.com/QyI1Z3P.png

GA, VA, NC were all close to 50/50.  This makes me feel like my firearms rights are safer in the long term.

Can you carry fixed blade daggers etc in TN w/ or w/o a CWL?  I am a  knife maker(hobbiest)/lover/carrier.  GA has some pretty sweet recent knife laws. How about NC & TN??

NC does have some advantages, There are more towns at more elevation in W NC than in NE tip of TN where i would be looking at, near the NC/TN Border.

TN: Would like to live up the mountain as high as possible reasonably close to maybe Gatlinburg, Greenville, Johnson City or Bristol, for example: Mountain City.

NC: up hill around Boone (~3300) or Ashville perhaps.  Bone is the highest city of > 10k E of the Mississippi.  Ashville (area) is the highest city of >100k east of the Mississippi, I believe.  There are places around boone  about 4k feet up.

What do you guys think??
View Quote

You said you want to live in the mountains. So Idaho, Montana, Western Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico is where you want to come. Not those pimples on the east coast ass.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#48]
As has probably already been mentioned (didn't read the whole thread) Asheville is is quite Libtard-filled. The whole state is filled with New England liberals who retire and move to NC because it's too expensive, then vote for tax-increasing, job killing liberals who ruined their original states to begin with. But I digress...
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
App Uh Latch Uh

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not for old people.
App Uh Latch Uh

Watching this thread with interest.  IMO, I was surprised by how little the wind does blow.  I'm up around the I-77 and 81 mix and it's usually just a light breeze, esp. in the summer time.  Windy in the winter a bit more, but can still have many days with not much wind.  It's not like Kansas or Nebraska windy... Those places have a constant wind.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#50]
You will never find a more wretched hive of Democrat scum and villainy than the larger cities in NC especially down east.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top