Quoted:

But how will Kavanaguh vote.
View Quote
About the same way Kennedy would vote.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It aint abandoned, someone had it. They are forcing a fifth amendment trap.

Self incriminate yourself, or we steal your property.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Abandoned property is not really asset forfeiture. If nobody claims it, then it should go to the state (or finder). It isn't forfeited.
It aint abandoned, someone had it. They are forcing a fifth amendment trap.

Self incriminate yourself, or we steal your property.
Except when it is found or abandoned property.

The police find expensive goodies laying around all of the time.  They pick it up, log it in, put it in the evidence locker, and advertise their recovery of it on their websites, the bulletin board down in court and the local newspaper.

"Hey, we found this thing.  If it's yours, bring proof of ownership and we'll release it to you.  Otherwise, we're selling it at public auction next month, and giving the money to the county general fund."

It would only be a fifth amendment trap if it were something illegal to own in the first place. In those cases, they're forcing the abandonment.

Are you really arguing that the police keeping something that is for people illegal to posses is theft?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:33:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There are plenty of cases of cops inTN etc taking cash from non drug dealers.  Couldnt we have used one of those cases??

I mean like the guy on his way to buy a car private party or those guys goong to buy a convinece store from other indians etc
View Quote
Because this isn't that sort of asset forfeiture/seizure case.

This is about whether the 8th Amendment's prohibition on cruel and excessive punishment applies to the states in the context of the seizure of a $40,000 asset as part of the penalty for having possession and selling of $400 in prohibited substances.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:39:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Except when it is found or abandoned property.

The police find expensive goodies laying around all of the time.  They pick it up, log it in, put it in the evidence locker, and advertise their recovery of it on their websites, the bulletin board down in court and the local newspaper.

"Hey, we found this thing.  If it's yours, bring proof of ownership and we'll release it to you.  Otherwise, we're selling it at public auction next month, and giving the money to the county general fund."

It would only be a fifth amendment trap if it were something illegal to own in the first place. In those cases, they're forcing the abandonment.

Are you really arguing that the police keeping something that is for people illegal to posses is theft?
View Quote
Many of these cases deal with cash. Cash is not illegal to posses. However, if you have large amounts of it that you admit is yours, BAM tax evasion charges.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:42:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This case is going to result in the 8th Amend finally being incorporated to the States. The value of the vehicle seized was 4x the maximum fine for the crime committed
View Quote
Thank you for actually pointing out what this case is about.
Everyone else can go back to arguing about asset forfeiture, which isn't going to go away no matter what SCOTUS decides in THIS case.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No shit.  It's also a seizure, which is why saying "Any asset seizure before getting found guilty in a courtroom is wrong." is stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cocaine is not an asset. Cocaine is an illegal substance, subject to immediate seizure.
So how about a gun used in a murder?
That's evidence, not an asset.
No shit.  It's also a seizure, which is why saying "Any asset seizure before getting found guilty in a courtroom is wrong." is stupid.
@Shenanigunz

You just contradicted yourself.  If it’s evidence in a crime then it’s not an asset.  A car in a hit-and-run case is evidence.  The other car in the suspect’s garage is an asset.  You shouldn’t be able to seize it without evidence it was involved in a crime or purchased with the proceeds of a crime.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had a client lose a Geo Metro
WTF good is a $ 500 car?
View Quote
There was still heroin hidden in it?

Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any asset seizure before getting found guilty in a courtroom is wrong.
View Quote
Yep. If they take your money up front, how can you pay a high price attorney to defend you?

PS: Notice that they haven't gone after the Clinton's ill-gotten money . . .
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd fully pull the plug on that practice. It creates an incentive to prosecute people.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Its not hard to get back. You go to court and show the judge where it came from.  I mean, it is hard if you have a cash income that you havent been reporting for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its my understanding is that they dont need to prosecute. they catch you with say 20,000$ in you pocket during a stop, they can say you'se gonna buy drugs with it or you just sold drugs. you are a drug kingpin, we gonna relieve you of you ill-gotten-gains. then it becomes really hard to get it back.

fines should follow convictions sure, but they should not be able to confiscate stuff because they think you are a drug person (and i bet lots of times they use that for an excuse to confiscate money or cars that the local police would like to have)...
Its not hard to get back. You go to court and show the judge where it came from.  I mean, it is hard if you have a cash income that you havent been reporting for years.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm conflicted on asset seizure/forfeiture due to the widespread abuse.
I have no issues of them seizing assets after someone has been prosecuted and found guilty of said crime. But to seize assets before is nothing more than theft by govt
Just to clarify, you believe that seizing assets prior to conviction is theft, or do you mean forfeiture prior to conviction?
Any assets not claimed as evidence should be off the table. If you can prove they were the profits of crime, then the judge can order their forfeiture after conviction.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#12]
"Civil asset forfeiture is such a farce that it took Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer only about 100 words to twist Indiana's solicitor general into admitting that his state could have the power to seize cars over something as insubstantial as driving 5 miles-per-hour over the speed limit."

https://reason.com/blog/2018/11/28/breyer-destroyed-civil-asset-forfeiture
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Can't trust government entities with anything other then their allowance and donation. Once you allow then free reign to bring in funds by their authority it will immediately be abused. Sad but true
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have no issues of them seizing assets after someone has been prosecuted and found guilty of said crime. But to seize assets before is nothing more than theft by govt
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand the reasoning behind it, to not let someone use the proceeds of illegal acts to pay for their defense.  but at the same time the way it gets used it’s like trying to stack the deck against the defendant so they can’t afford to mount a defense to their charges.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to clarify, you believe that seizing assets prior to conviction is theft, or do you mean forfeiture prior to conviction?
What assets should the government be allowed to take from people after being convicted of committing non-violent crimes?  How "non-violent" does the crime have to be before they are justified in taking your car?  Your home?

Civil asset forfeiture is garbage.  It should be eradicated.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Asset seizure is a bullshit law all the way around.    I hope the Indiana man wins.
View Quote
so is eminent domain
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm conflicted on the whole idea of Secret Police.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had a client lose a Geo Metro
WTF good is a $ 500 car?
View Quote
Site Staff could use it while the Yugo is getting a tuneup.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are we talking them seizing and converting to gov use, or impounding and holding till court case is over?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@Shenanigunz

You just contradicted yourself.  If it’s evidence in a crime then it’s not an asset.  A car in a hit-and-run case is evidence.  The other car in the suspect’s garage is an asset.  You shouldn’t be able to seize it without evidence it was involved in a crime or purchased with the proceeds of a crime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cocaine is not an asset. Cocaine is an illegal substance, subject to immediate seizure.
So how about a gun used in a murder?
That's evidence, not an asset.
@Shenanigunz

The terms are not mutually exclusive.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Without due process it’s thievery. After? Well, be smart
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.wowo.com/supreme-court-weighs-constitutional-case-on-excessive-fines
The Supreme Court is taking up the case of an Indiana man who says the Constitution should have barred local authorities from seizing his $40,000 Land Rover after his arrest for selling less than $400 in heroin to undercover officers.
View Quote
Nor excessive fines be imposed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If they have the evidence necessary to demonstrate that he paid for the Land Rover with the proceeds of his illegal activity, I have zero issue with it.
View Quote
This, but they don't. We have a county here in GA that basically creates it's own budget by doing this. The seize anything and everything. Don't ever speed in Camden County GA. You may lose your car.... to alleged drug activity.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's so fucking ridiculous, I have to assume you have no idea of what you're talking about.

How does law enforcement secure the evidence necessary to garner conviction if they can't seize it?

"Well, your honor, we found a kilo of cocaine in the defendant's possession, but since we couldn't seize until after he was convicted, we asked him to bring it to court today.  We were shocked when he failed to produce the cocaine, and then testified that he has never seen cocaine before in his entire life."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's so fucking ridiculous, I have to assume you have no idea of what you're talking about.

How does law enforcement secure the evidence necessary to garner conviction if they can't seize it?

"Well, your honor, we found a kilo of cocaine in the defendant's possession, but since we couldn't seize until after he was convicted, we asked him to bring it to court today.  We were shocked when he failed to produce the cocaine, and then testified that he has never seen cocaine before in his entire life."
There is a difference between evidence and assets. Drugs.... evidence..... landrover.....asset..... navigation system showing where he went.... evidence.... his home....asset...not difficult at all.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dunno how the US works but you need to get a criminal conviction combined with a balance of evidence test to seize a asset.

The state can 'impound 'assets until that convition BUT an acquittal results in compensation for the time/money you lost due your assets being unavailble.

I personaly believe the state should prove the asset in question was bought with money from crime so i dont agree with the rules of evidence of the Dutch system.

In before the Neck Tat Cop
View Quote
Not here.... having $500 in cash is "evidence" of drug dealing and subject to seizure.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Defending yourself in court is expensive, even more so when the authorities steal everything you own.  
Unless they are repossessing obvious, traceable, proven stolen property or an illegal object/substance like that nuke you pocket carry, any asset forfeiture prior to conviction should be grounds for a 4th amendment violation.
View Quote
and they keep seizing to prevent you from having a defense.....
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Everyone else can go back to arguing about asset forfeiture, which isn't going to go away no matter what SCOTUS decides in THIS case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This case is going to result in the 8th Amend finally being incorporated to the States. The value of the vehicle seized was 4x the maximum fine for the crime committed
I'm waiting with baited breath.

ETA: To be clear, this is a pet peeve for me. Back when all this asset seizure started I was in my early 20s. I had a break-in that resulted in a pretty large loss (stereo equipment, TVs, guitars). An officer and an investigator show up and I begin listing my stolen property. First the investigator asked if I was insured, then he began questioning where these things came from. I had a file box in the closet with warranty papers and receipts for the new stuff. Semi-satisfied that I wasn't padding the claim for insurance fraud he moved on. He then wanted to know how I had paid for them. "I have been working my tail off since I was a teenager," wasn't a satisfying answer. Suddenly, I had gone from victim to potential criminal, with lots of nice stuff (expensive sports cars, since instead of going to bars I bought, restored and flipped them. If you want the best price you show up with cash...) still left to steal confiscate. I will never forget the look on their faces and the feeling in my gut as they began taking "inventory". I got victimized twice that day... Luckily, very early in my college experience, I took tax accounting courses and had receipts for just about everything, as well as binders of bank records showing cash flows and tax records going back to when I was 18. I had a happy ending. Most in my shoes wouldn't have.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I wonder if this will have any effects on the shakedowns outside of Nashville and the like.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if serious?

You are either being intentionally obtuse or you have no fucking clue what asset forfeiture is.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its my understanding is that they dont need to prosecute. they catch you with say 20,000$ in you pocket during a stop, they can say you'se gonna buy drugs with it or you just sold drugs. you are a drug kingpin, we gonna relieve you of you ill-gotten-gains. then it becomes really hard to get it back.

fines should follow convictions sure, but they should not be able to confiscate stuff because they think you are a drug person (and i bet lots of times they use that for an excuse to confiscate money or cars that the local police would like to have)...
Thousands of innocent people having their shit stolen by the cops, not being charged with a crime, and then never being able to get their shit back would disagree with you.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/09/policing-for-profit-in-philadelphia-finally-comes-to-an-end/570622/
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not.  Quit deciding property is guilty and seizing it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Asset seizure is a bullshit law all the way around.    I hope the Indiana man wins.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Until you prove yourself innocent, everything is evidence.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Thought for sure it would have taken place in the state of seizures Tennessee.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thought for sure it would have taken place in the state of seizures Tennessee.
View Quote
Me too
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#39]
How long till the supreme court rules on these cases?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:41:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:59:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a difference between seizing evidence and forfeiting assets.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:42:44 AM EDT
[#42]
I think if they seize your assets prior to trial there should be some set standard. You can't just say "crime" because you could lose your vehicle if guilty of speeding.

However if not convicted, your car keys/cash/assets should be waiting for you when you leave the courthouse, not filing a bunch of paperwork to request it's return.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:46:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That's pretty fucked up
View Quote
Especially since traffic violations are not crimes (except for reckless driving, DUI, illegal speed contest, & a couple of others), they are non-criminal infractions...
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top