[#2]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chokey:
static fire coming soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQae3kmdfiw
View Quote
Cool.  I tuned in just in time to see it.  

Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Everything looks beautiful.
View Quote
Never forget.

Arfbros made fun of the test bucks field welded by water tower rig welders on cherry pickers.

Never forget Arfmen told the Arfbros fuck off and stick to shining their ridiculous rims offsetted outside their wheel wells.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Please.take all.of the Blue Origin (and Bezos) discussions and updates to the Blue Origin thread linked above.  This is not the appropriate thread for it.

Please and thank you.  
View Quote
Would really be cool if both threads were pinned on top. That way the epic progress of SpaceX could encourage the glacial speed of Blue Origin to hasten forward to find a suitable niche in the new space juggernaut.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Vandenberg launch

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:01:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#7]
View Quote

when did they launch a Starship from Vandenberg?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
Never forget.

Arfbros made fun of the test bucks field welded by water tower rig welders on cherry pickers.

Never forget Arfmen told the Arfbros fuck off and stick to shining their ridiculous rims offsetted outside their wheel wells.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
Everything looks beautiful.
Never forget.

I’m one of them that laughed many times at the “hoppers”. I understood their purpose but the aesthetic was pretty damn terrible. I had no idea that 25 or so articles later they could be as damn sci-fi perfect as they are even now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:44:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#9]

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#11]

The tempo, my god, the tempo they are pushing.

LOVE IT.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:17:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#12]

when did they launch a Starship from Vandenberg?
View Quote

Hasn't happened yet, but I do expect it to happen sooner rather than later. I seem to recall hearing that SpaceX has bought the old Delta IV Heavy launchpad there.

They wanted to do Shuttle launches from Vandenberg but they never did.

As for how things started at Boca Chica. I thought it was an elaborate joke at first. The Hopper and other early test articles looked ridiculous and that they were building these things on a beach seemed insane.

We have come a long way since then. The moment this program stopped being a joke for me was the flight of SN-8. That convinced me that there really was something here and it happened at a very important time when I had almost completely given up. No joke, seeing this program develop has been a major reason why I didn't check out permanently.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RarestRX:

The tempo, my god, the tempo they are pushing.

LOVE IT.

View Quote

It's not just the tempo, but the progress and improvement on each iteration.
They are moving this quickly while still having to implement and retrofit each vehicle from the lessons learned on the previous flight.
I can't imagine how much faster everything gets once they have a booster and ship that can be reused with just their current manufacturing capabilities.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#14]
SpaceX's cinematic as fuck highlight reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApMrILhTulI

Eat your heart out Zach Snyder.
View Quote

Ok , that is awesome . Thanks !
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#16]

You could definitely roast some marshmallows with that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:59:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kill-9] [#17]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By voodochild:

View All Quotes

Chomos.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#19]
45min video

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#24]
If IFT 4 works Elon has stated that IFT 5 will try to catch a booster on the tower.

They gotta get that fuel sloshing fixed from what I can see. The Raptors can’t run without farts and O2.

The SS reentry will be a success next time. I am sure they got that figured out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:36:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kill-9] [#25]
45min video

View Quote

Definitely worth watching.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#26]
That crazy guy is going to make it bigger.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#28]
It looks like they would have to ballast the ship to keep it stable.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#32]

With the notable exception of Stoke Space. Most of the launch industry seems to be pretending that Starship either doesn't exist or it won't work out for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Always pursue your goals until they become irrelevant. You never know what the outcome will be.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#34]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKhYYn5WYAAin_Y?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

I'd almost think they'd up the diameter than making it that much longer. They have to build a new tower to handle the height anyway.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

I'd almost think they'd up the diameter than making it that much longer. They have to build a new tower to handle the height anyway.
View Quote

The OLM is much more complex than the tower. The tower is most likely a simple task of adding levels and extensions to the chopstick system.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

View Quote

They've proposed a 12m version, once the 9m is up and running.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Off topic from Space X but whatever happened to the startup that was launching via the slingshot method? Basically whipped a rocket around vey fast and the at a certain time launches it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Off topic from Space X but whatever happened to the startup that was launching via the slingshot method? Basically whipped a rocket around vey fast and the at a certain time launches it.
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpinLaunch

At Spaceport America in New Mexico on 22 October 2021, SpinLaunch conducted the first vertical test of their accelerator at 20% of its full power capacity, hurling a 10-foot-long (3.0 m) passive projectile to an altitude of "tens of thousands of feet." This test accelerator is 108 ft (33 m) in diameter, which makes it a one-third scale of the operational system that is being designed.[14][15][16] The company's first 10 test flights reached as much as 30,000 feet (9,100 m) in altitude.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:42:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sheltot] [#39]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#40]
That thrower idea might be useful once we have colonies on the moon with the industrial capability to mass produce sattelites. Could be a valuable seed technology for a Dyson Swarm.

Launching from Earths surface though?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Yep. Ars is good for info, but the crowd that comments on articles is left wing batty.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

Yep. Ars is good for info, but the crowd that comments on articles is left wing batty.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

It was amusing watching the comment section turn on Elon over the years.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:31:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#47]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Look, I get to run out an airlock and blast my phased array laser at the natives when I want or I'm not going.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:42:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#49]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

That said, if someone like Musk actually builds a city on Mars, anyone going to live there would have to understand that democracy is NOT going to be an option.  I don't think the people pointing that out are necessarily crazy - it's a valid point.   The best analogy is probably a robber baron company town.  Personally, I would not have a problem with that, but I can understand why some would.

If you are used to the nice cushy existence in a civilized western representative/democratic country and you EXPECT that kind of life, then living on Mars, or in the Asteroid belt or whatever - it NOT going to be a nice experience for you.  Heck, a lot of people on this site would be unable to live there, since "muh freedoms" and "muh guns" and "muh individual liberty" is not going to be something that Elon Musk has time to give a fuck about if he is trying to create a viable extra-Earth large settlement.

View Quote

I don’t know, I don’t see this scenario happening for a bunch of different reasons. Reason number one being that in those robber baron company towns it was never an option for one well motivated person to kill everyone there with one well placed act of sabotage.

It seems there’s quite a lot of science fiction that anticipates that the first few settlements will be run by robber barons and that they will fail spectacularly because of that. Then there will be later waves of colonization that operate on different rules. Usually leaning heavily utopian or dystopian.

That said I don’t know how the early colonization of the solar system is going to go. I anticipate there will be a lot of telecommuting since it’s easier to keep robots alive in hard vacuum than squishy human beings. Space is an environment which has a very different set of priorities compared to life on the ground and we are still learning how to survive there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By sheltot:

Yeah, our gravity well is too deep.  Also a thought for moon surface chucking would be linear accelerators.
View Quote

Controlled by a HOLMES IV supercomputer?
Page / 440
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top