Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2019 7:43:52 AM EDT
These things range from super simple to works of art. None require power or batteries.

The simplest form of radio receiver uses a coil and a crystal touched by a 'cat whisker'.  

Like I said, people build crystal radios that are works of art too...

You can even build a radio receiver using a razor blade and a pencil. The troops in WWII nicknamed them 'Foxhole Radios'

There may well come a time when possessing the knowledge to build a radio receiver that requires no power to operate may save your people....
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#1]
No, I can buy radios at the store.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
If society ever melts down and there are no more batteries, be sure and let us know how that works out for you.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I was around 8 or 10yo and wanted to do it for Boy Scouts—but I couldn’t get anything on it.  My scoutmaster proclaimed “ it doesn’t have a battery! How could it work....

It’s so long ago, I really don’t remember specifics.  Maybe I got the wrong parts at Radio Shack?  Wrapping the tube with copper wire was a major PIA because I tried using toilet paper tube that kept collapsing.

We also read a story about some school kid who made one in his school desk & the implication was that he was listening to aliens-the space kind, not “refugees.”

I should try again....
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes,yes I have.  It was common to do so with the youth of my generation.

Radio Shack even had it in kit form.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
There were a lot of kits available from lots of sources including several from Heathkit.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I remember the Heath kit also.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I built the radio shack kit. No idea what happened to it. I need to get online and find another one.
View Quote
You don't need a kit, just plans - which are available online. There really aren't any specialty parts involved.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If society ever melts down and there are no more batteries, be sure and let us know how that works out for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If society ever melts down your little radio isn't going to help much. Lots of people like to spend time and money investing in SHTF scenarios, but rarely does anyone get into the hard stuff, like dealing with the stress of people trying to kill you on a constant and unceasing basis to steal your goodies.

Neat radio though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Sure. I had one of these:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There were no batteries on Gilligan’s Island.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Back in the 60s.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Back in the 60s.
View Quote
What he said!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I did as a kid, and it worked pretty good.  It was a kit that I got for Christmas.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I built one in Mr. Sweeney's shop class in 7th grade.  It worked fine.  I could pick up 2 radio stations from town.  This would have been around 1966.  We made our coil by wrapping magnet wire around a toilet paper tube.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I still have that kit stashed in a closet somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. And it worked well. Also built com radios from radio shack kits.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#19]
If you don't mind RF burns, you can demodulate a signal by holding a weed up to a high power antenna. Some idiots in russia or somewhere made a video of just that. Just like beavis and butthead sticking their fingers in the hot grease, they'd hold the weed until it got too painful, lol.
There's youtube video of it I believe.

ETA.....

https://youtu.be/lMuJKsUjD_o
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#20]
My dad would always tell me how he built one as a kid, and he strung wire back and forth between the trees above his house for an antenna, and could pick up signals from Australia.  Seems like a good way to get your house struck by lightning.  Kind of want to try building one just for fun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I built one at school in 7th or 8th grade and the first thing I heard on it was the news that Reagan had been shot.  

Yes, I'm freakin old.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If that happens, then there won't be any radio stations to listen to anyway!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#24]
There is a foxhole radio sitting on a shelf about twenty feet from me.

It ran 24/7 for a few years until the cat knocked the safety pin off of the razor blade.

You would enter the room and hear a tinny sound and when you put the headphone to your ear you'd hear the local radio station.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Had some kits back in the 70's... Learned a lot.
Also had some chemistry sets that were kick ass as well...
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Many, and have a nice collection of commercial sets from the 1920's.
Latest find is this 1950's Miller High Fidelity Tuner, its purpose was to eliminate 'hum' from a tube radio receiver, played through a good amplifier of course.
Sounds great, receives 10 stations with great selectivity.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If society ever melts down your little radio isn't going to help much. Lots of people like to spend time and money investing in SHTF scenarios, but rarely does anyone get into the hard stuff, like dealing with the stress of people trying to kill you on a constant and unceasing basis to steal your goodies.

Neat radio though.
View Quote
Then stock up on loin cloths and throwing knives. Good to know "SHTF" really is gonna be just like mad max. Any more words of wisdom Ol commando swami?

Cool radio, could the potato clock be added in or is that over the top?
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Built one in the early sixties in a cigar box. Used an AM radio channel changer to change stations and an old telephone receiver for a speaker. I remember laying on my bed one Sunday and listening to the World 600 Nascar race from Charlotte.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes.  I'm trying to remember if I used some galena I found or something else.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I built one in Mr. Sweeney's shop class in 7th grade.  It worked fine.  I could pick up 2 radio stations from town.  This would have been around 1966.  We made our coil by wrapping magnet wire around a toilet paper tube.  
View Quote
The first one I made utilized a TP tube as well, it worked but was hard to tune. I made another on a wood dowel that was awesome. The antennae wire was wrapped around the whole wall and my bedroom window. That one picked up many more stations, at night it would pull in some from other states. Neither were kits, the plans were in a Popular Mechanics magazine or similar and the parts came from an ad in the same.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There were a lot of kits available from lots of sources including several from Heathkit.
View Quote
Remember the Japanese "Rocket" crystal sets?

Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
who cares   wont be no stations on air
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#34]
6th or 7th grade for a merit badge.  Tuned it to KJCK.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
You actually believe the .gov won't be broadcasting emergency info or some Ham won't be broadcasting on the AM bands?
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd love to.  Read about how PoWs built one in a camp and got their news that way.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#37]
That is how I built mine.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://xtalman.com/boyrocket.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://xtalman.com/boyrocket.jpg
Wow, I’m having Flashbacks...

Probably 1967...
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There will be a lot of hams like me on the air.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I built a Bayou Jumper Paraset that runs on old FT243 crystals.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

<snip> but rarely does anyone get into the hard stuff, like dealing with the stress of people trying to kill you on a constant and unceasing basis to steal your goodies.
<snip>
View Quote
you obviously did not have an older brother!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I remember the Heath kit also.
View Quote
Yeah that was popular with my friends back in the day

There are a ton of hand crank radios, out there for battery free operation not to mention portable wind chargers and
solar chargers
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#43]
27.555 mhz

Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I did as a Cub Scout in the very early 60s. It worked well but my Dad had a fit
over how I'd had it grounded.

I'd taken a 2' long piece of schedule 40 pipe and hammered in in the ground
outside my bedroom window and ran my ground wire to it. Pops was worried
lightning would hit the pipe so out it came.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Yup!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#46]
I had a radio shack project set that included a crystal radio. It was little modules with springs to connect everything. My dad went and got a little bakelite project box and we put it all in that, the radio part. It really worked too
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Yep, as a little kid back in the 60's - it looked exactly like the first pic in your OP.
It worked until I took the galena crystal out of its holder, dropped it, and lost it forever down a heat register.
Later that evening my dad came home with a glass germanium diode with instructions from a guy at Radio Shack to simply put it in the circuit where the cats whisker used to be.
At the time I didn't know why, but damned if it didn't work even better than the crystal!
Then I had the clever idea to stick a battery inline with the diode and replace the earpiece with a speaker to make it louder - which of course immediately burned out the diode (so my dad came home with five diodes the next time....).
That crystal radio set (along with Radio Shack and Heathkit) is what started my eventual successful career in electronics.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks like a fun project with the 10yr old...
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I built one in the Boy Scouts around 53 years ago.  It worked but the juice was not worth the squeeze.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I built one at school in 7th or 8th grade and the first thing I heard on it was the news that Reagan had been shot.  

Yes, I'm freakin old.  
View Quote
7/8th grade?  Damn boy, you are a young-en.  I was a Captain in the Army, sitting in the Fulda Gap when Reagan got shot.  We scrambled to our local deployment areas with full battle rattle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top