Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2019 5:21:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]
County jail is about 3 miles from my house
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure, and in upstate NY it’s hard to not be near a prison. There are a ton of them up there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
If it makes the price lower, sure.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes I would, I have 4 acres just a few hundred yards from a Federal Prison in Hazelton, WV. I have considered building & living there, but changed my mind, going further south
into WV.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I already do.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife and I looked at a house once that I was going to get for a steal. The owners were just divorced, the place was a mess, just the kind of house a man who buys Indian hatchets is looking for.

wife: "What's that way over there?"
me: "Huh who knows, hey look it comes with a mailbox"
realtor: "oh that's Arkham Asylum"
me: "fuck"
wife: "let's go"

I saw a max prison recently that had houses (mostly abandoned now) that were just down the hill from the prison walls. I assume the warden and his top henchmen got to stay there for free? One appeared to still be occupied.
View Quote
Arkham Asylum LMAO

Year ago my family lived on the same road as a minimum security prison/work camp. Nothing crazy ever happened. There's a county jail smack dab in the middle of my old town, nothing ever happens there either. Folsom Prison is in the middle of town, nothing usually happens there either.

Would I want to live within rock throwing distance of a prison? Not really.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My wife and I looked at a house once that I was going to get for a steal. The owners were just divorced, the place was a mess, just the kind of house a man who buys Indian hatchets is looking for.

I saw a max prison recently that had houses (mostly abandoned now) that were just down the hill from the prison walls. I assume the warden and his top henchmen got to stay there for free? One appeared to still be occupied.
View Quote
Attica?  No

However, Charles Manson used to live down the street from me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Used to live down the road from the county jail.  Saw a lot of guys hitchhiking around there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Can see the radio tower for the sheriff's station from my backyard, it is also where the county jail is located.

Neither helps nor hurts having it there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#11]
People seem to believe convicts take off from prisons all the time.  I believe it's actually quite rare.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#12]
My ex and I rented a townhouse about 1000' from the perimeter of Oak Park Heights Maximum Security prison.
It was definitely not cheaper than comparable places further from the prison.

There is also a MN state correctional facility just down the street and one inmate just walked away one day. Whole place swarmed with city cops, troopers,helicopters, etc.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People seem to believe convicts take off from prisons all the time.  I believe it's actually quite rare.
View Quote
Does happen....  bad for property values
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
All depends as to whether I can sell the prisoners cigarettes and alcohol through the fence for cash.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I would.  I bought a house almost across the street from a funeral home and one of my coworkers who believes in ghosts and boogymen and other dumb shit thinks I'm insane for doing it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope . . .

Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Negative
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
It depends on the state, in Virginia if a warden's (or asst Warden) family stays there with him they pay a small amount of rent. If not it's usually free. Officer's barracks (if available) are free.

At one of the Road Camps they closed down that I used to work at the DOC still runs cattle on the place, it's like 600 acres. The DOC employee (Sgt rank) that deals with the cattle lives in the old Warden's house for free.

Every morning a Camp about 40 miles away brings him two convicts to help with the cattle. At calf-ing time (or a bad snow) the Sgt opens the old guards quarters up and the convicts stay there but he has to stay with them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I live 3 miles from the state penitentiary, but it is being moved to the opposite end of the valley so we can build a new business park.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#22]
A jail yes a prison no
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It depends on the state, in Virginia if a warden's (or asst Warden) family stays there with him they pay a small amount of rent. If not it's usually free. Officer's barracks (if available) are free.

At one of the Road Camps they closed down that I used to work at the DOC still runs cattle on the place, it's like 600 acres. The DOC employee (Sgt rank) that deals with the cattle lives in the old Warden's house for free.

Every morning a Camp about 40 miles away brings him two convicts to help with the cattle. At calf-ing time (or a bad snow) the Sgt opens the old guards quarters up and the convicts stay there but he has to stay with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A resident assistant warden's step daughter was killed by an escaped prisoner in 2017 in Louisiana. Article here

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#24]
In Little Italy, NYC?  Yes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#25]
spent my wedding night in a room at the days inn overlooking the Jail in Orlando Florida.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I would not, but it's not because I'm concerned about crazed inmates breaking out and butt fucking me in the middle of the night. It's more about the property values in the area. I think it would be more difficult to sell when I'm ready to go being in close proximity to a correctional facility.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Well as long as you have higher fences with more razor wire around your property, why not?
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I did for 14 years. Just up the highway from Pelican bay. Wasnt bad when I was there, but it's taken a total shit in the last 10 years
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll vote "nope", but that's an experience based opinion.

Here's a story for you...

I lived in a small city in North San Diego County for decades, at one time it was a relatively nice, peaceful area. Then some dipshits on the city council started the entire "progress" agenda, and one of the elements was construction of a new county jail facility.

Fast forward a few years after the jail facility opening up, the Cops reality show doing multiple shows in my fine little city, upsurge in gang activity, murders, etc etc.

0300 rapid banging on my front door, dogs going apeshit, I get out of bed and go to the front door, and yell "what do you want?". Male voice outside says he's being chased, needs help, so I crack open the door and he's standing about four feet away, methed out to hell and gone. Says he's being chased by people in cars, with guns, needs to hide, so I tell him I'll get him some help and I yell at the wife to call 911. She calls, hands me the phone....anyway, SO comes out, they know the guy on sight. Well known crackhead in the area.  So he gets cuffed and I have a chance to talk to the Deputy.

I ask him what's up with the recent bullshit crime rise, and he looks at me with a grin and says "You really don't know?".

"Nope, that's why I'm asking"

He realized I'm just a dipshit subject with no knowledge of how the criminal industry works, so he tells me.

"You know about that jail that was built, a couple of miles away? You know what happens when inmates stay there a while? Their shitbag families, homies and other assorted assholes move into the area. That's the reason - the jail."

My response was basically...sonovabitch, he's right.

tl;dr - jails attract scum, don't move next to them. Dogs weren't shot, Deputy thought 9mm was less capable than .45.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I did. Worked there too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A jail yes a prison no
View Quote
jail is worse IMO. People are coming and going constantly, usually when people are released from jail they just open the door and let you out. It's a little different for a prison generally, someone is usually there to pick them up or the prison drops them off at a bus station.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#34]
The guys that break into peoples home are general from the area and not in prison at the time of the breakin.

People in a security facility are less likely to break into your home than the local meth heads & gang bangers.

There's a nice American Legion Camp up north and just down the road from it a minimum security prison camp.

Never once heard of any inmates escaping and breaking into anyone's homes,cabins,or the Legion Camp.

Kinda dumb to escape from such a nice camp on a clear water lake with a boat landing and row boats for inmates to fish from on their days off...a comparable place would cost a thousand dollars a week to rent during the summer months.

The prison camps in northern WI are on such nice parcels of land there are plenty of nice summer homes all around.

Breakins and thefts are mostly off the reservations and small towns with druggies,stealing chain saws, boat motors, and lawn mowers.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#35]
We lived outside of town but I went to elementary, middle and high school in Florence AZ in the 90’s
Prison town USA is what we called it then.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I wouldn't.  Where I am I can step outside the door and chronograph a load without being worried.  I have doubts about being able to do that in close proximity to a prison.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Back in the day I was dropped off while hitch hiking in near one of those signs. I walked up to it and stuck out my thumb and IIRC the second car to pass stopped and picked me up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#38]
There are some realtively pricey apartments near the Metropolitan Correctional Center in downtown Chicago who apparently regret their choice to live next it. There was a news article a while back about how strippers (hired by F&F of the inmates) perform on the top of the parking garage across the street for the inmates. If the Arfcommer that works there sees this thread he can provide more detail.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#39]
We sold some land to help expand the local prison.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A jail yes a prison no
View Quote
jail is worse IMO. People are coming and going constantly, usually when people are released from jail they just open the door and let you out. It's a little different for a prison generally, someone is usually there to pick them up or the prison drops them off at a bus station.
View Quote
Lol. We just sent them out the front door if they didn't have anyone picking them up. Pointed them towards the bus stop about 1.5 miles away.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Used to live near one. In fact the elementary school in town was next door to the prison. The old prisoner's cemetary was just beyond the playground fence. The few times inmates escaped, word got around town fast. Inmates knew better than to stay in town because it was a good way to get shot. Most went south through the corn fields on the edge of town to try getting into the mountains.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Lol. I lived in an apartment in the yellow circle for about a year. The big complexes are three state prison including a “maxi-max.” There is also a county jail across from the big bottom complex.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Right next to one....pass

Down the road, sure

I think I have a county and a large federal prison complex within a couple of miles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#44]
I can see the lights of a Federal Prison from my shooting range.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#45]
there are two in my town of 9,000 people.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I wouldn't want to live near the county jail.  All kinds of scumbags getting released around the clock with no money and no ride home.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#47]
NIMBY
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Fun fact: your waiter or waitress at lunch today is probably on probation and you probably stood in a line this week with someone who is a registered sex offender.  Pieces of shit are everywhere.  I worked in a jail for seven years and I'd run into former inmates everywhere, one time in a Chili's 200 miles away.
View Quote
Denny's won't even hire you without a felony conviction.  And you better have proof, they are wise to resume inflation.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm not worried about escapees.  I dont want their families and other trash near my house.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#50]
I lived 150 yards from the Walls Unit/Death House in  Huntsville, TX in college.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top