Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Larping. I look super cool when mom picks me up in full kit.

For real though, great for physical conditioning when run and gunning, and good to have for SHTF I guess. After I spend 2-3 hours on the range in a vest, when I take it off I feel much lighter.
View Quote
Need it, not have it.

Have it, not need it.

Body armor is cheap insurance, even when you're talking about the high dollar concealable vests. A soft armor vest isn't all that uncomfortable, at least in winter.

A good setup carrying ammo, medical, and water can typically accommodate rifle plates, and they provide additional stability for pouches. Plates aren't too expensive, so why not? AWS Operator's Choice is what I've been running.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I can recommend you shit all day but you're going to get a billion different options, each vastly different. I need to know what you need/want and can afford before recommending anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've skimmed the first two pages of this thread and haven't got to the GD recommendations with link to purchase???? What the hell is wrong with this place. Am I supposed to research this all myself?
I can recommend you shit all day but you're going to get a billion different options, each vastly different. I need to know what you need/want and can afford before recommending anything.
It's going to sit in a closet or under the bed in reality. But from an insurance perspective I'm thinking SHTF urban/suburban protection. Price would not be a primary issue.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
$50 plates?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With crazy deals popping up on known manufacturers gear it was impossible to resist.

Kota outfitters:
LBT 6094 b $100
Midwest armor Proguard mc4+ LvL IV 10x12 multicurve (Ugly) $50 each

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195843/BE5D1C11-C8B7-4C05-B0EA-28B20C9B8BA6_jpeg-883188.JPG

Cheap insurance,
Just make sure you wear them enough to understand the limitations.
$50 plates?
Sold out pretty quick
Attachment Attached File

I contacted Midwest and they confirmed it was their plates.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Soft armor in a pack is totally reasonable and feasible. Done right you'll forget it's even there and no one else will ever be able to tell.

Rifle rated armor is a different ordeal. The only rifle armor I'd ever recommend putting in a pack (and I generally don't recommend it at all for people not purposefully heading into harms way) is poly plates due to the weight. They won't stop M855 but your back will thank you for not putting something heavier in there.

Every time I read about somebody putting a steel plate in their pack my face goes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the backpack idea because it would be something I would take with me and a plate carrier probably isn't.

If I thought I might face an active shooter in my neighborhood a plate carrier and armor might be a great investment and not just a want to have because it is cool (which is still totally justifiable IMO).

I think a panel in a backpack can be justified pretty easily and would way more likely to become useful even with the odds still stacked that you wouldn't need it. IDK Seems reasonable to me right now though.
Soft armor in a pack is totally reasonable and feasible. Done right you'll forget it's even there and no one else will ever be able to tell.

Rifle rated armor is a different ordeal. The only rifle armor I'd ever recommend putting in a pack (and I generally don't recommend it at all for people not purposefully heading into harms way) is poly plates due to the weight. They won't stop M855 but your back will thank you for not putting something heavier in there.

Every time I read about somebody putting a steel plate in their pack my face goes
Ripped out the plastic piece that gave shape to the backpack.  Replaced with a ballistic inset.  Done.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone have a low-profile carrier that still mostly allows access to CCW gear, or is it pretty much an all-or-nothing kinda thing?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Well one more thing to add to the buy list.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the backpack idea because it would be something I would take with me and a plate carrier probably isn't.

If I thought I might face an active shooter in my neighborhood a plate carrier and armor might be a great investment and not just a want to have because it is cool (which is still totally justifiable IMO).

I think a panel in a backpack can be justified pretty easily and would way more likely to become useful even with the odds still stacked that you wouldn't need it. IDK Seems reasonable to me right now though.

Leads on best place to buy soft armor inserts stand alone to tailor to backpacks?

Have a few bags I'd like to outfit w/ soft armor backing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There's simply no reason to bother including it in testing. If a plate has a ceramic strike face it'll stop M193. The only plates I know of that struggle with M193 are low end steel plates.

ETA: Also it's actually not entirely omitted from mention, it's listed under threats in the specification link. RMA is aiming for NIJ .07 cert with this plate and Rifle 1 (lowest rifle rating under .07) requires testing against M193. They test against M855 so they're aiming at Rifle 2 which is the testing that level will require in addition to the Rifle 1 threats.
View Quote
It seems the more reputable companies sure include that info. For potentially life saving equipment, I would rather not assume a threat is covered.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It seems the more reputable companies sure include that info. For potentially life saving equipment, I would rather not assume a threat is covered.
View Quote
RMA has employees that participate on ARFCOM. They're good to go. The last thread about them had a guy with a somewhat similar - but more aggressive - feeling towards them, and he ended up apologizing in that thread to RMA.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

RMA has employees that participate on ARFCOM. They're good to go. The last thread about them had a guy with a somewhat similar - but more aggressive - feeling towards them, and he ended up apologizing in that thread to RMA.
View Quote
Because I have concerns? Because I interact with armor companies regularly and am a bit more read in than most?

Nij ratings do not cover 5.56 still btw.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry a Voodoo backpack (with a ceramic plate in it) as my primary armor.

You never know someone is going to go ballistic.

Better to have and not need...
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Because I have concerns? Because I interact with armor companies regularly and am a bit more read in than most?

View Quote
You can have concerns, but they've always addressed them when I've called, and when they've been involved in the forum. The standard is ceramics stop XM193s at this point, and I called and verified that exact information. They're the next state over from me - I hope they aren't flooded like we are - and I've called and talked to them a few times. They've invited me out to check their facilities out. They're good to go.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think I paid 3 or 400 for a set of ceramics.

I never use it

But its nice to have just in case

Ive spent more on stupid shit that Ive long forgotten about

View Quote
I've had bar tabs that cost more than a carrier with plates. Even if you bought armor for your whole family, the cost is a drop in the bucket when you consider the big picture.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not just you op, but what is with all the apologist, worry what others think bull shit?
Don’t fall into this pc bullshit, live you life how you want.

If you do or don’t want to be a commando or wanna be, who gives a shit. Do what you want.
If you want something whether you can use it or not, fucking buy it.
It’s no worse than other collectibles. All kinds of people collect weird shit.

If this offends anyone, oh well. Won’t change my day.
View Quote
This  x87
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Salad plates
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's going to sit in a closet or under the bed in reality. But from an insurance perspective I'm thinking SHTF urban/suburban protection. Price would not be a primary issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've skimmed the first two pages of this thread and haven't got to the GD recommendations with link to purchase???? What the hell is wrong with this place. Am I supposed to research this all myself?
People say price isn't an issue and then I say "Ok then buy some Velocity API-BZ plates at ~$1000 per plate" and suddenly it's an issue.

If you aren't going to do much with it aside from stare at it unless things are really falling apart it's hard to beat the cost/spec ratio of the Hesco 3610 or RMA's new III+ plate. Both come in over an inch though so they're thick.

If you want pure value and don't care that your plates will be heavy (about 7.5 pounds per) then the HighCom 4SAS7 is ok. 10x12 multi curve shooters cut set of 2 comes to $352 after applying "AR15.COM" discount code. Level IV stand alone, .75 inches thick.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes but the upcoming .07 standard does and they're aiming for cert under that standard when it's released. Stopping M193 isn't hard for anything but cheap steel.

My understanding of steel failure against M193 is that at certain hardness levels the steel is subject to adiabatic shear failure (plugging) or possibly plastic flow failure but plastic flow is primarily seen with non-deforming projectiles. The issue, as I understand it, is that the rate of material softening due to the work of heat generated during impact overruns the rate of work hardening, resulting in failure.

To my knowledge ceramics are not subject to this issue in any meaningful way, as least as it regards defeating handgun/rifle projectiles. Their composition and mechanism of action is significantly different than armor steels. I also know of no poly plates that fail against M193.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes but the upcoming .07 standard does and they're aiming for cert under that standard when it's released. Stopping M193 isn't hard for anything but cheap steel.

My understanding of steel failure against M193 is that at certain hardness levels the steel is subject to adiabatic shear failure (plugging) or possibly plastic flow failure but plastic flow is primarily seen with non-deforming projectiles. The issue, as I understand it, is that the rate of material softening due to the work of heat generated during impact overruns the rate of work hardening, resulting in failure.

To my knowledge ceramics are not subject to this issue in any meaningful way, as least as it regards defeating handgun/rifle projectiles. Their composition and mechanism of action is significantly different than armor steels. I also know of no poly plates that fail against M193.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't heard to the contrary, but for the sake of discussion, Light weight ceramic plates w/ decreased weight don't lose their level of threat protection, right?

A level IV ceramic plate that is reduced weight doesn't lose its ability to defeat the same threat level as a heavier level IV ceramic plate, correct?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Can anyone tell me what’s the catch to these plates?

https://rmadefense.com/product/level-iii-plus-single-curve-10x12/

Attachment Attached File

$220 a plate for III+. Covers M855, M193, and M80. Weighs 4.4 lbs. Kinda thick though.  I’m not seeing the real downside to this, what am I missing? Or is this the bees knees right now and I should stock up?  What’s the deal?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I picked these PACA vests up new, never worn, out of date for $80 shipped for the pair.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/ARFCOM/20181213_195017_zpsm1bva0st.jpg
View Quote
Dang.

Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you want pure value and don't care that your plates will be heavy (about 7.5 pounds per) then the HighCom 4SAS7 is ok. 10x12 multi curve shooters cut set of 2 comes to $352 after applying "AR15.COM" discount code. Level IV stand alone, .75 inches thick.
View Quote
This is the way I went, based on the idea that I'm most likely not going to be operating operationally.  I'm most likely going to be piloting my car out of a potential trouble zone.  If I thought I was going to be on foot, and carrying a shit ton of other gear with me, then I'd be much more concerned with weight than I am.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like you'd be better served with soft body armor.

As for scenarios, wtf???  Unless you live and work in the basement of the Fed Depository at Ft. Knox, bad shit can happen to you, your wife, your kids at anytime, anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sounds like you'd be better served with soft body armor.

As for scenarios, wtf???  Unless you live and work in the basement of the Fed Depository at Ft. Knox, bad shit can happen to you, your wife, your kids at anytime, anywhere.
View Quote
To be fair, people hear like to act self-righteous when threads about consistently concealed carrying come up and pretend people are delusional for wanting to always be armed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Armor stops bullets.

I have steel, which I admittedly never wear, but I'm going to get a ceramic set.

I can't understand being a gun guy and not wanting armor. Shit if I had the money I'd buy a tank.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

I have some armor!
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

People say price isn't an issue and then I say "Ok then buy some Velocity API-BZ plates at ~$1000 per plate" and suddenly it's an issue.

If you aren't going to do much with it aside from stare at it unless things are really falling apart it's hard to beat the cost/spec ratio of the Hesco 3610 or RMA's new III+ plate. Both come in over an inch though so they're thick.

View Quote
Thanks, thats a big help. Is it correct that the focus is on the plates, and not the carrier or do both matter?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Aside from wearing it to carbine and pistol courses, one of my most common usages was actually tornado/wind related related.  When the warning goes out I toss it on after helping my wife get kids to the shelter we set up, then I go around the house grabbing phones, keys, and other miscellaneous stuff that you need that tends to be all over your house and tossing them in a dump pouch to secure them.  Probably the most used item on my carrier is the radio, so I can listen to SKYWARN, or other frequencies needed to stay informed as I am doing whatever needs done.

Do I need armor for that?  Probably not, armor to date has been the least used item on my carrier, and I hope to keep it that way.  What I have is something that provides protection to areas of my torso, that has communication, first aid, a good flashlight, and other things that I feel I'd need in different emergencies.  It's kind of like a tool box, it keeps things simple, and all of those tools organized in one place when I need them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

IMO, if you are not accustomed to wearing armor, you won't.
View Quote
Worth repeating.

Get stuff that fits so you can be as comfortable as possible.  Its the same thing as a good holster, it means you are more comfortable, more likely to have it if you need it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I bought mine for a SHTF event.  Quite honestly, i'm really worried about the direction our country is going.  We're heading full speed for some sort of national calamity.

I've read statements where they want to do just that.  Even started out with their favorite saying, "No one needs (fill in the blank)."
View Quote
Years ago I was in a discussion with some friends that turned to "ugly black rifles."  One of them said "if I ever need an AR-15, they will be all over the street and easy to pick up."

The Boy Scout in me thought to myself; "I'd rather not be without one until that situation came to pass."

Feel the same way about my steel plate rig.  It's heavy, and my legs like it less as I've grown older.  But I'm still glad I have the rig and the rifles.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me what’s the catch to these plates?

https://rmadefense.com/product/level-iii-plus-single-curve-10x12/

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/428894/17EF3AB5-4633-4EEA-AB0F-FD9A43129971_jpeg-883529.JPG

$220 a plate for III+. Covers M855, M193, and M80. Weighs 4.4 lbs. Kinda thick though.  I’m not seeing the real downside to this, what am I missing? Or is this the bees knees right now and I should stock up?  What’s the deal?
View Quote
Single curve.

Get the multicurve.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Single curve.

Get the multicurve.
View Quote
Okay OTHER than the multi curve

(The difference is +$6 for a Medium, $40 for a Large)
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Single curve.

Get the multicurve.
View Quote
This one?
https://rmadefense.com/product/level-iii-plus-multi-curve-small-extra-large-nij-07-tested/

Is RMA gtg? I'm not an operator and want a bargain but also dont want to skimp too much
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#34]
T
Quoted:
This one?
https://rmadefense.com/product/level-iii-plus-multi-curve-small-extra-large-nij-07-tested/

Is RMA gtg? I'm not an operator and want a bargain but also dont want to skimp too much
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Single curve.

Get the multicurve.
This one?

That's the one.

I will have to defer to those who know a lot more about armor than I do, but last year when I was looking the best bang for the buck for what I wanted was the Hesco 3610.  That RMA plate hits on all the same points, but is a lot less $.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#37]
May have already been mentioned.

I will not shoot at a public range without armor, it is the highest amount of gun play that you will be exposed to.....one reason to own body armor.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I caught a Christmas sale on the BulletSafe stuff. Here's the one I got:

https://bulletsafe.com/products/the-bulletsafe-level-iiia-tactical-bulletproof-vest-kit

I bought a set of Level 4 plates to stuff in the vest. It's heavy but not obnoxious. It doesn't fit me all that well mainly because I'm pear shaped at the moment and trying to lose weight.

This particular vest doesn't really have side protection to speak of either. There's probably a way to get that but I haven't had time to research it.

Hopefully I'll never have to test whether this setup is effective at stopping boolits. I do plan to wear it at the range next time I go, though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Leads on best place to buy soft armor inserts stand alone to tailor to backpacks?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR500 Armor actually sells some decent IIIA soft armor in varying sizes, good prices too.

The SKD Runt Armor Insert is pretty decent too. Made specifically for their PIG Runt Urban pack but that doesn't mean you can't put it in something else. Level IIA, so it's the lowest handgun rating but I'd expect it's a very light insert. Dimensions are 8.75" width, 15" length. That's according to an email exchange I had with SKD anyway. Also it's not subject to their armor policy () so you don't have to deal with all that to buy it.

Another source is duckdiver123 on eBay. Not the first place I'd go but he sells loads of stuff. The bare inserts that he sells new are made by him. Workmanship isn't top notch but for the price it's good enough. I had him make some custom stuff for me once, came out nice. I've shot 3 of his inserts, all performed as expected. Test 1. Test 2. I've learned a lot since I did that first test, that was in my early "learning days". Some of my info/speculations are a bit off but the point is the test itself. I don't know his material sources so I have no clue what aramid he's using but it works fine. Quilting uses aramid thread, layered appropriately, etc. I get the impression he used to work in the industry and does this as a side gig or something but who knows, could be he's just a dude with a sewing machine and some tools who took the time to figure it out.

You can also buy up cheap old panels and cut them to shape but it's not something I'd recommend unless you know how to sew (primarily to make a new cover) and are willing to invest in a good pair of Kevlar scissors.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Okay OTHER than the multi curve

(The difference is +$6 for a Medium, $40 for a Large)
View Quote
Quoted:

This one?

View Quote
Quoted:
T
That's the one.

I will have to defer to those who know a lot more about armor than I do, but last year when I was looking the best bang for the buck for what I wanted was the Hesco 3610.  That RMA plate hits on all the same points, but is a lot less $.
View Quote
RMA did do one fucky thing in the past but other than that I can't really find anything to fault them for. Unless something comes out about their III+ plate that I simply don't know about there's no catch. A few people here have bought it and lots of others have their other plates, namely the 1155 plate. No complaints that I've seen.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've bought the RMA single curve, shooter plates and no issues. They run them on sale for $100 shipped every so often.

I wear them 3 to 10 hours at a time in training. Over soft body armor.
View Quote
$100 for the level IIIs above?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've bought the RMA single curve, shooter plates and no issues. They run them on sale for $100 shipped every so often.

Inquiring minds want to know.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks, thats a big help. Is it correct that the focus is on the plates, and not the carrier or do both matter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both matter. You pick your plate size, then you pick carrier size because carriers are sized to the plates, not to your body. So for example if you buy a Crye JPC in Large that means it'll fit SAPI Large plates.

Aside from that carrier selection is important in regards to comfort, load out you want to use, etc. It all depends on what you want to get out of it and what you need it to do. For example I use a Beez Extreme Concealable Carrier because having a totally slick, bare bones PC was important to me. For my foreseen use scenarios I determined the ability to conceal my rifle rated armor would be a big plus. It has no MOLLE, no routing for anything, no padding, nada. It's basically two nylon bags with some webbing and an elastic cummerbund connecting them but that's all I wanted because I wanted to be able to conceal the armor under a jacket.

For carrying gear (mags, med kit, etc) I use a MOLLE II FLC. Keeps my gear separate so I can just wear my LBE, just my armor, or throw on my LBE over the armor and have everything.

But you may not want to do that. If that's the case you'll want a carrier with MOLLE on it. For US options it's hard to beat some of Shellback Tacticals offerings. Namely the Banshee. Beez (same as the one I mentioned above) also has some unique carriers and good pricing.

Really though it comes down to what you need it to do and how much you're willing to pay. I'll say that for a no bullshit, US made, proven beyond a doubt carrier the JPC 2.0 is a lot of peoples go-to. Gives you options without having too much superfluous shit hanging off the carrier. Warning though, it doesn't like thicker plates. Especially once you get into 1 inch and up territory getting them to fit can be questionable. Contact Crye in advance and ask if you've got plates you think might not fit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#44]
DO EET!

Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, their famed $100 plate is the 1155 plate. 10x12 shooters cut only, single curve only, and 8.3 pounds.

Yeah it's cheap but I'm not a fan of it personally. Too many downsides. I'd rather grab a jar and start a plate fund to get something at least moderately better.

Listen to me when I say single curve plates BLOW. Depending on your anatomy they may as well be flat. IF your chest is thin enough that they actually manage to "wrap" on your chest instead of just sitting on the edges then they're better than flat, but otherwise it's hardly an improvement.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I haven't heard to the contrary, but for the sake of discussion, Light weight ceramic plates w/ decreased weight don't lose their level of threat protection, right?

A level IV ceramic plate that is reduced weight doesn't lose its ability to defeat the same threat level as a heavier level IV ceramic plate, correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. Otherwise it wouldn't be a level IV plate.

Technically the lighter plate, assuming all things are equal (strike face thickness, backing material, etc), may actually be a better stopper. The truly light plates typically use Silicon Carbide. Most ~6.5 pound and up 10x12 plates will have Aluminum Oxide (commonly called Alumina) as the strike face.

There's actually three ceramic materials used commonly for body armor, those being -
  • Aluminum Oxide [alternate name Alumina] (aluminum/oxygen compound)
  • Silicon Carbide (silicon/carbon compound)
  • Boron Carbide (boron/carbon compound)
That's in order from cheapest/heaviest/least hard to most expensive/lightest/hardest.

The reason for the weight differences is in the density of the materials. Density averages are -
  • Aluminum Oxide - about 3.4 to 3.9 grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3)
  • Silicon Carbide - about 3.09 to 3.21 g/cm3
  • Boron Carbide - about 2.5 to 2.8 g/cm3
Boron carbide is very expensive and as such is actually quite rare. You'll likely never encounter it outside of high end special applications. As for why Silicon Carbide would be a better stopper than Alumina (and Boron Carbide a better stopper than Silicon Carbide) is due to the materials hardness and compressive strength. This article by Diamond Age explains this fairly well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I was in the same boat for many years.  Well, a different boat maybe, but on the same ocean of indecision.  What pushed me over the edge is I have friends that live waaaay too near Ferguson and almost got caught in the fracas when things were getting sporting down there.   Now, I have no illusions about doing any cowboy HSLD shit, but as I sat in my nice house in a good neighborhood, I realized that if I actually needed to go into that type of situation where I might have rioters or worse shooting at me, all the guns and ammo in the world wouldn't stop ME from getting shot, and that would be bad. I still have a hard time imaging any situation where I might actually need armor, but for about what I have spent on other safety things like fire extinguishers, I found a used set of plates and a carrier. I likely will never use it for it's intended purpose, but I don't presume that I will ever need my CCW either, because, like I said, I live in a nice neighborhood, but just because I can't imagine it doesn't make it impossible.

Now I am thinking about attending a local tactical 2 gun match.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Correct. Otherwise it wouldn't be a level IV plate.

Technically the lighter plate, assuming all things are equal (strike face thickness, backing material, etc), may actually be a better stopper. The truly light plates typically use Silicon Carbide. Most ~6.5 pound and up 10x12 plates will have Aluminum Oxide (commonly called Alumina) as the strike face.

There's actually three ceramic materials used commonly for body armor, those being -
  • Aluminum Oxide [alternate name Alumina] (aluminum/oxygen compound)
  • Silicon Carbide (silicon/carbon compound)
  • Boron Carbide (boron/carbon compound)
That's in order from cheapest/heaviest/least hard to most expensive/lightest/hardest.

The reason for the weight differences is in the density of the materials. Density averages are -
  • Aluminum Oxide - about 3.4 to 3.9 grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3)
  • Silicon Carbide - about 3.09 to 3.21 g/cm3
  • Boron Carbide - about 2.5 to 2.8 g/cm3
Boron carbide is very expensive and as such is actually quite rare. You'll likely never encounter it outside of high end special applications. As for why Silicon Carbide would be a better stopper than Alumina (and Boron Carbide a better stopper than Silicon Carbide) is due to the materials hardness and compressive strength. This article by Diamond Age explains this fairly well.
View Quote
Awesome explanation, thank you
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Is highcom still well regarded?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top