BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

the PDF i linked above presents a different view of the intrinsic value of bitcoin.  
the authors of that PDF are professional portfolio managers tasked with presenting the SEC a plan to bring a bitcoin-based ETF to market.
the dataset they boiled into statistical conclusions demonstrates a much deeper understanding of the bitcoin environment than previously shown; hence all the buzz regarding their analysis.
are you still right?  should we take your word for it?
View Quote
Well, anytime you bring up people with long proven backgrounds in economics. They're quickly shunned as being part of the bankster, global world order conspiracy.

It is like arguing with a flat earther. No amount of data will change their opinion.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

the majority of the people in this thread are limited to understanding 140 character tweets.

everyone should read the entirety of the actual PDF, and not the mass-media synopsis.

https://www.sec.gov/comments/sr-nysearca-2019-01/srnysearca201901-5164833-183434.pdf

the reason i suggest this is that there are actually three takeaways from the PDF, not just the one that the media is currently circle-jerking on.
View Quote
The government can't stop bitcoin, it's on the internet!
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
bitcoin is fake money anyway.
View Quote
IIRC, They cant even positively identify who actually created it. Shady currency that will probably not make you rich.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

the PDF i linked above presents a different view of the intrinsic value of bitcoin.  
the authors of that PDF are professional portfolio managers tasked with presenting the SEC a plan to bring a bitcoin-based ETF to market.
the dataset they boiled into statistical conclusions demonstrates a much deeper understanding of the bitcoin environment than previously shown; hence all the buzz regarding their analysis.
are you still right?  should we take your word for it?
View Quote
Professional portfolio managers also gave us derivatives, which are modern-day bucket shops. That they would stretch to digital currency is not at all surprising, especially since they can more easily manipulate the value. They care about making money, which doesn't necessarily have any correlation to the instrument used to drive profits.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Professional portfolio managers also gave us derivatives, which are modern-day bucket shops. That they would stretch to digital currency is not at all surprising, especially since they can more easily manipulate the value. They care about making money, which doesn't necessarily have any correlation to the instrument used to drive profits.
View Quote
did you read the PDF?  no, you didn't.  if you had, you would already know why what you wrote above is 100% incorrect.

eta
i'll save you a lot of trouble: read slides 75 (PDF page 76) and 83 (PDF page 84)
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
And money is fake wealth.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Is Glenn Beck still pushing Bitcoin?
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

did you read the PDF?  no, you didn't.  if you had, you would already know why what you wrote above is 100% incorrect.

eta
i'll save you a lot of trouble: read slides 75 (PDF page 76) and 83 (PDF page 84)
View Quote
What's your suggestion? That because the markets are not totally unregulated that what I said is untrue?

Market manipulation should theoretically not occur with any regularity, at least based on SEC requirements, yet certain segments are manipulated extensively as a matter of course (futures, credit default swaps, asset-backed securities, and especially currency).
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It has the power of "if other countries stop trading in it we will kill a bunch of their people and break a bunch of their shit". So there is that...
View Quote
This man understands
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's your suggestion? That because the markets are not totally unregulated that what I said is untrue?
Market manipulation should theoretically not occur with any regularity, at least based on SEC requirements, yet certain segments are manipulated extensively as a matter of course (futures, credit default swaps, asset-backed securities, and especially currency).
View Quote
prior, you wrote "That they would stretch to digital currency is not at all surprising, especially since they can more easily manipulate the value."

what did you learn -- which is 100% in opposition of this statement -- via reading the entire PDF?
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That because the markets are not totally unregulated that what I said is untrue?
View Quote
another case of not reading: the authors of the above PDF dedicate an entire slide (slide 76) to their use of the word "regulated".  there is a reason they did that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I know that I can carry USD around in my pocket and pay for goods or services with that money almost anywhere in the world, bitcoin not so much.
No internet connection needed for good old USD transactions.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know that I can carry USD around in my pocket and pay for goods or services with that money almost anywhere in the world, bitcoin not so much.
View Quote
Cash exchanges are becoming more and more rare.

I probably made 2 last year.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I made a good chunk of change from bitcoin that I was able to cash out.
View Quote
^this. I bought 40 at $47 and sold 35 of them for a tad bit over 6K each. But keep on yapping.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It did well for me. So well that if I had dumped my conventional accounts into it I’d be posting this from my private island in the Caribbean. If only I had a time machine.
View Quote
Meh,lots of people get rich from other peoples money from pyramid scams but they are still scams.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IIRC, They cant even positively identify who actually created it. Shady currency that will probably not make you rich.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who created it doesn’t matter.

Whether it makes you rich doesn’t matter and if that’s your goal it means you don’t understand it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is Glenn Beck still pushing Bitcoin?
View Quote
yup
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If people aren't accepting cash for trade, then they sure as heck aren't accepting bitcoins either. I have to disagree with this "all or nothing" approach. The idea that if US dollars isn't backed by gold, then it is the exact same thing as crypto currency.

Federal backed currency is way more trusted than crypto currency. It is much more transparent as well. Crypto currency seems pretty clandestine about many of their activities and process.
View Quote
I agree with you in that at least the US government has a vested interest in keeping some semblance of credibility.  With the internet, it it goes belly up, there really isn't anyone other than bitcoin who looses credibility.

My point was more the in both cases, each system relies on faith rather than anything tangible.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I made a good chunk of change from bitcoin that I was able to cash out.
View Quote
Why did you “cash out”?
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

^this. I bought 40 at $47 and sold 35 of them for a tad bit over 6K each. But keep on yapping.
View Quote
Why did you cash out?
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It did well for me. So well that if I had dumped my conventional accounts into it I’d be posting this from my private island in the Caribbean. If only I had a time machine.
View Quote
Bitcoin is still around. Do it now. All of it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No way Op. Its the next big thing. You just gotta keep pumping money into it to see.
View Quote
A classic 'pump and dump' on a larger scale.

Instead of pumping u0p a penny stock to a few dollars then dumping it, they created a nearly global scam of fake 'currency.'
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In before we get to hear that stock market is also a rigged game.
View Quote
The 'market' is what manages the indices.

All the buyers and sellers 'managing' for their benefit.

It is one of the reasons it is so hard to beat indices for an extended time.

Only a very few managers have manged to do it for more than a short time.

Dodge & Cox did it for around 15 years.
They refused to buy into the 'dot com' bubble and ended up better for it.

They have not done as well since then though.

Management changes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why did you "cash out"?
View Quote
I cashed out because the bubble was obvious. Btc was having transaction speed and cost issues as well.

I'm slowly buying back in now. I expect three to seven years before the next bubble peak.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I cashed out because the bubble was obvious. Btc was having transaction speed and cost issues as well.

I'm slowly buying back in now. I expect three to seven years before the next bubble peak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why did you "cash out"?

I hope it’s that long.

Both Tezos and litecoin have better than doubled in recent weeks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes, because a 2-1/2" x 6" piece of paper has "real value" that you can believe in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I could never believe in computer money.
Yes, because a 2-1/2" x 6" piece of paper has "real value" that you can believe in.
Is that dimensional or rough cut?
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's all fake.
View Quote
USD seems to be pretty legit in my neck of the woods.  Literally EVERYONE accepts it.

But seriously--why are people tossing the "currency" word around?
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why did you cash out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why did you cash out?
Because while it was going up, I decided 6K was my number. I had absolutely zero idea it would go that much higher.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
So are US dollars.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
You mean like the fiat currency known as the US dollar?

You do realize that the only reason the dollar is considered money is because the govmt says its money.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#32]
What a big surprise................not in the least.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
There are Visas and Mastercards that you can swipe and it automatically converts your BTC balance to the currency of the country you're in.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top