Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
We just need more immigrants to help pay for the pensions.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Pensions are a good thing and can work perfectly...

Buuuuut...they are fully reliant on clear headed and honest people to run them as well as a hard firewall to keep pension money separate from the general fund IE pension money can't be used for anything else.  Plus, the defined benefits can't be a vote buying scam...

That's the rub.  They require honest people to run them.  It is contrary to an electoral system where you can buy votes and be out of office before the bill comes due.

So, pensions are great and can work...but maybe not in current day America.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Laughs in maxed out 401k and Roth
View Quote
While I max out 401K/Roth/529 every year, if you can't defend it with a rifle, you don't own it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yet people scream "Death Panel" if someone is denied every possible procedure......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, yes, there is that.

It also has to do with better nutrition, but more importantly it also implicates Americans morbid fear of death.

FFS, if you're 85yo and have three terminal diseases, go to fucking hospice and die with dignity, don't make the taxpayers spend $1,000,000 of Medicare-money to eke out another six months of life.  If you haven't achieved all you wanted to achieve in life by age 85, you ain't gonna do it by age 86 either.
Yet people scream "Death Panel" if someone is denied every possible procedure......
Death panels need to become a thing. We have a housewife patient at work who has a bill in the TENS OF MILLIONS WITH ZERO CHANCE OF RECOVERY.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
GE has $93 Billion in pension liabilities, their market cap is $80 Billion. How will this work out for taxpayers?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Lets see,
1) compensate .gov employees for their low salaries by offering a good pension available pretty early.
2) Tie the pension payout to the highest salary paid to the employee
3) Push the salaries up into the "very generous" category.

..then wonder why you can't afford the pensions..
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Public pensions are just another method for politicians to get more government with borrowed money.

Hooray!

Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is the real issue.  Properly funded pensions are expensive.  Politicians like to promise more than they can pay and it catches up with them in time.
View Quote
It doesn’t catch up to them.  It catches up to the taxpayer and other politicians in the future.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lets see,
1) compensate .gov employees for their low salaries by offering a good pension available pretty early.

View Quote
When do I reach that "Very Generous" category?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Death panels need to become a thing. We have a housewife patient at work who has a bill in the TENS OF MILLIONS WITH ZERO CHANCE OF RECOVERY.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also has to do with better nutrition, but more importantly it also implicates Americans morbid fear of death.

FFS, if you're 85yo and have three terminal diseases, go to fucking hospice and die with dignity, don't make the taxpayers spend $1,000,000 of Medicare-money to eke out another six months of life.  If you haven't achieved all you wanted to achieve in life by age 85, you ain't gonna do it by age 86 either.
Rather than Obama attempting to give every American a comprehensive health care plan, we should go the opposite direction.  Let people start paying for routine shit 100% out of pocket, but have catastrophic care insurance for the big stuff.  You'd see a LOT of prices of routine stuff come down damn quickly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
GE has $93 Billion in pension liabilities, their market cap is $80 Billion. How will this work out for taxpayers?
View Quote
GE will spin itself off into several new subsidiaries, then the empty husk of GE will go bankrupt and dump their pension liabilities on the PBGC.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lets see,

View Quote
That's the issue I see not only locally but a lot of other places.
Now jobs that used to pay pretty low but had a defined benefit plan now pay fairly well and still have the same plan.
The local PD starting salary is around $50k and local FD is around $60k.
Most of the FF's and cops I know that have any time on the job are pushing $100k per year and still have a pretty sweet pension plan.
Maybe that's why when the local FD hires they'll get 1000 applicants for two or three positions.

I'm sure there are some smart people here that could run the numbers.
How much would have to be contributed using average rate of return for a guy that worked for 25 years and retires with an $80k per year pension and lives for another 30 years?

From my small brained point of view the biggest issue is no matter what the job there is no way it's sustainable to pay someone for 30+ years for doing nothing.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Laughs in maxed out 401k pension and Roth
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#14]
It's all a scam, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is the real issue.  Properly funded pensions are expensive.  Politicians like to promise more than they can pay and it catches up with them in time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Throw on top of that, they didn't put enough into the system to begin with and you have a disaster.
Not to mention that they dropped all the gun related companies which were doing so well.
Nothing like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Laughs in maxed out 401k pension and Roth
FIFY
You’re “fixing” a guy’s post where he is talking about how he’s taking care of himself and replacing it with a public pension being better....in a bread about how public pensions are in serious trouble.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Alabama's state retirement system is as solid  as a rock! We lucked into a guy name David Bonner back in the 70s and he has done a phenomenal job. Fun fact, did you know that the Alabama State Retirement System owns the largest office building in New York City? RSA 1 Towers. Plus the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail and miles of Gulf Coast beach. I put my time in and I'll draw my pennies now and I'm fortunate to have worked under a honest system. Of course, every year we have to fight the legislature because they want to borrow our money and promise to pay it back later hahaha. Us Southern Boys ain't as dumb as some of y'all think :-)
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Now jobs that used to pay pretty low but had a defined benefit plan now pay fairly well and still have the same plan.
Most of the FF's and cops I know that have any time on the job are pushing $100k per year and still have a pretty sweet pension plan.
Maybe that's why when the local FD hires they'll get 1000 applicants for two or three positions.

How much would have to be contributed using average rate of return for a guy that worked for 25 years and retires with an $80k per year pension and lives for another 30 years?

From my small brained point of view the biggest issue is no matter what the job there is no way it's sustainable to pay someone for 30+ years for doing nothing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lets see,

Simple model that assumes a flat payment. Inflation will reduce your purchasing power.

7.5% investment return rate
Attachment Attached File

2% investment return rate
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Disagree
View Quote
I admire your thorough rebut. Public unions (well, all unions) are leeches. We need to get rid of Executive Order 10988. Just because you are a federal worker you still need to plan for your own retirement like everyone else.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you have only been a government worker you may already be there but you probably believe that private sector workers make so much more BUT in spite of the available bonanza that lies in the private sector you will choose to soldier on as a lowly government worker.

This pretty much sums up the view of the world from my friends from college who will soon be collecting six figure pensions along with healthcare for life.  They are living the 1% lifestyle but they truly believe they gave up big money to stay in government.

Why didn't I listen to them 25 years ago and take a government job????  Biggest financial and lifestyle mistake I have ever made!
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL!  Some of you guys are dripping with hate and/or jealousy.  Yup, it's a pyramid scheme but calling for the benefactors to be killed by being herded into gas chambers?  WOW!!!  I won't tell you how much of a pension I get.  You'd be at my front door with a torch before the night was over.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Simple model that assumes a flat payment. Inflation will reduce your purchasing power.

7.5% investment return rate
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200878/EA279983-049D-4BCB-AF33-3A38D6709D67_jpeg-908413.JPG

2% investment return rate
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200878/1FCCB0C0-662F-4670-82E6-9A7CCCB1D7B7_jpeg-908412.JPG
View Quote
I broke it down a bit more. Your employer would have to contribute about $1250 per month for 25 years at a steady 7% return rate to be a the above amount on order for the system to work and not run out of money.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#23]
The hilarious part of the story is that people actually think politicians and bureaucrats will manage money effectively.

Fiscally responsible organizations began moving from Defined Benefit to Defined Contribution retirement plans back in the late '70s and early '80s.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LOL!  Some of you guys are dripping with hate and/or jealousy.  Yup, it's a pyramid scheme but calling for the benefactors to be killed by being herded into gas chambers?  WOW!!!  I won't tell you how much of a pension I get.  You'd be at my front door with a torch before the night was over.
View Quote
I don't think that it is jealousy or hate at all.  I think that it is frustration at being forced to pay ever higher taxes so that a group of people are able to retire young with very, very generous benefits. Primarily state and local level government employees.

I can speak to the system in PA that is approaching an $80 billion deficit.  Folks who worked in the system contributed approximately 6.5% of their salary to the pension (the contributions are fully refundable with a 4% bump) and they received 2.5% of their highest three years salary times years of service.  Healthcare too.  I beleive that the PSP, judges, and elected officials receive more.  Maybe 3%.  The math does not work.  Though I beleive that new hires are not receiving the old deal.

Before our Republican governor and our legislature passed the 25%+ retroactive bump in the pensions in the early 2000s (since the market always goes up 20+% per year) PA had a $4 billion pension surplus.  When they had the midnight vote to increase pensions one of the selling points was that the pension managers are so good and the market is so strong that the state will not have to pay a penny more and in fact the fund managers are so good that the state can even reduce contributions from the current levels and still be able to meet future obligations.  So why not bump the pensions?

Now the cry from AFSCME and the other government unions is that the pensions will be fine if the state would just contribute their "fair share".  What a beautiful bull shit scheme that worked!
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I admire your thorough rebut. Public unions (well, all unions) are leeches. We need to get rid of Executive Order 10988. Just because you are a federal worker you still need to plan for your own retirement like everyone else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disagree
I do, each and every check.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone who has a pension would be wise to take their cash value now
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Alabama's state retirement system is as solid  as a rock! We lucked into a guy name David Bonner back in the 70s and he has done a phenomenal job. Fun fact, did you know that the Alabama State Retirement System owns the largest office building in New York City? RSA 1 Towers. Plus the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail and miles of Gulf Coast beach. I put my time in and I'll draw my pennies now and I'm fortunate to have worked under a honest system. Of course, every year we have to fight the legislature because they want to borrow our money and promise to pay it back later hahaha. Us Southern Boys ain't as dumb as some of y'all think :-)
View Quote
The two state retirement systems (TRS and ERS) have under performed their own benchmark of 7.5% for the last 10 and 17 year periods. See graph

Attachment Attached File

In 2018 the Retirement Systems of Alabama was $15.3 billion in the red and only 70.9 percent funded. The RSA invests more than 15 percent of its assets solely into the Alabama economy, mostly in equities, which is more than most other state-level retirement systems in the U.S., second perhaps only to the California Public Employees’ Retirement System.

But policies aimed at priorities beyond the retirement security of state or local workers almost always backfire. A 2016 Troy University study found that disproportionate investments chosen based on their economic or social benefits (almost all of them are in-state investments)—have contributed to RSA’s asset under performance and severe pension under funding.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The two state retirement systems (TRS and ERS) have under performed their own benchmark of 7.5% for the last 10 and 17 year periods. See graph

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60489/Capture_JPG-908578.JPG

In 2018 the Retirement Systems of Alabama was $15.3 billion in the red and only 70.9 percent funded. The RSA invests more than 15 percent of its assets solely into the Alabama economy, mostly in equities, which is more than most other state-level retirement systems in the U.S., second perhaps only to the California Public Employees’ Retirement System.

But policies aimed at priorities beyond the retirement security of state or local workers almost always backfire. A 2016 Troy University study found that disproportionate investments chosen based on their economic or social benefits (almost all of them are in-state investments)—have contributed to RSA’s asset under performance and severe pension under funding.
View Quote
HAHAHAHAHA  I guess those Alabama Boys aint as smart as they think they are LOFL
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 1:08:26 AM EDT
[#29]
The long bull market was never even within the same order of magnitude of being able to fix public pensions.

This is because elected officials handed off pension management to cronies who they knew would inflate expected returns, thus freeing up tax dollars for other shit (some of which naturally would end up back in the pockets of those officials and their friends, family, and lackeys)
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Laughs in maxed out 401k and Roth
View Quote
Laughs when it is confiscated taxed to an equal means by the government in the not so distant future
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 1:25:03 AM EDT
[#31]
In the end there are more voters than pensioners, I'm afraid they will get screwed in the future.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In the end there are more voters than pensioners, I'm afraid they will get screwed in the future.  
View Quote
There are already. BTW lawmakers have pensions
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#33]
The biggest problem is most funds are estimated using an actuarial calculation for the amount that needs to be funded by the plan sponsor.  These rosy forecasts never hold up in reality.  The DJI returned roughly 9.5% / year including all corporate actions since inception.  When managing a plan that takes in cash and pays it out you can never achieve the optimal return.   That discount is a liquidity premium which is always underestimated because it would lead to larger payments by the sponsor.   On anniversaries the fund is trued between actual returns and the actuarial returns.  That’s when a lot of people in government say wtf the market isn’t good for us or those asshole hedge fund managers took all the money.   The search for alpha continues but the real answer is adequate funding and more realistic payouts.  Moreover a lot of these shortfalls are for the cash component of the retirement fund.  If you think there in bad shape take a look at the retiree healthcare funds—eek. No one really likes living in reality.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pensions backed by tax dollars shouldn't fucking exist. Neither should public sector unions.
View Quote
Correct.  And it's time to curb the civil service tenure.  Replace it with at least a partial spoils system, like a President (or Governor) gets to fire up to 1/3 of the government workforce each time elected to office.  This should weed out the permanent leftist cadre working in government.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We just need more immigrants to help pay for the pensions.
View Quote
The unions are trying...and they’ll offer a reduced benefits package to the immigrants...
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#36]
The  ( pension ) promises are NOT REDEEMABLE.
There is insufficient liquid  WEALTH to hand out  even 10 percent of  what has been promised.
There will come a time of suckage, and in that time many will go hungry,  medicine will be rationed, and a great number of retired,  sick and elderly  people will die cold, hungry and in the dark.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
retirees are living much longer than before, the days of retiring at 65 and dying at 72 have been replaced with retiring at 65 and dying at 90.

Low interest rates hurt too, tremendously.  Pensions cannot be invested solely in stocks; they rely on a certain level of interest income that we haven't seen in over 10 years.
DAMN YOU MODERN MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY!!!1!!1!

You’re missing the point of the Pension.    The heroic Medical care is Free, and your kids collect a pension for every day you spend in RBG zombieland.

So of course they’re gonna keep that magic money machine going as long as possible.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll guarantee to pay you someone else's money if you sign this contract.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The next recession, whenever it happens, is going to be brutal and break the pension system
View Quote
Wrong.   They will get “bailed out” and it will break our whole Nation. (eventually).

Watch and see.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
That isn’t a big deal.  They take a haircut.    It’s been done already with all the airlines, plus a lot of other big companies.

It’s the Public pensions which will hurt the taxpayers the most.

A lot of them are “guaranteed by the State Constitution” (whatever that means).
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I wouldn’t worry. They can just raise the tax rates and age on our 401ks. That’ll fix it.

No one needs a million dollars when they’re 65 anyway.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lets see,

First, read every Extoris post ever written.   Then, pack your bags, your gonna be moving.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#43]
The real problem is the recent idea that people should stop working 15-40 years before they die. Five is probably about right. Hard duty work will eventually have to transition to light duty. This will likely happen in public and private sectors.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wrong.   They will get “bailed out” and it will break our whole Nation. (eventually).

Watch and see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The next recession, whenever it happens, is going to be brutal and break the pension system

Watch and see.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#45]
It does not help if its that underfunded
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The real problem is the recent idea that people should stop working 15-40 years before they die. Five is probably about right. Hard duty work will eventually have to transition to light duty. This will likely happen in public and private sectors.
View Quote
I hear ya, but with US life expectancy currently around 88yo, that means people in the workforce until age 83 instead of 67.  How many people are physically capable of that?  How does that slow down promotions for the younger generations behind them?  How many people who have worked their way up to CEO or VP of Whatever are gonna want to take a demotion at 70-72yo to go be the door-greeter or mail sorter in their company?  And once they take that demotion, do you pay them their same salary or a reduced salary commensurate with that level of work?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:50:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Who cares. Climate change is gonna kill us all in 12 years.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Pensions backed by tax dollars shouldn't fucking exist. Neither should public sector unions.
View Quote
Pensions BACKED by tax dollars shouldn't exist, but I disagree with not having pensions at all for public sector employees. It should be pay-as-you-go rather than putting projected FUTURE tax dollars into the mix. Texas has such a system. I pay 7% of my gross salary into the system and my employer matches 2:1. When they send my money in, the city sends theirs too and it goes into my account. While this sounds extravagant, it really isn't.....at least for the taxpayer. The private sector pays half of Social Security (roughly 7%) and typically offers a 6% match on 401K contributions. For municipal workers, we get TMRS in lieu of both of those. So, for the employer, the private sector is paying 13% of the worker's gross salary while the taxpayers are on the hook for 14% of mine. It will be enough to make me relatively comfortable in retirement, but it is by no means opulent.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 1:31:30 AM EDT
[#49]
The taxpayers did their part - start cutting benefits to match the money in the fund...
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 1:48:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
retirees are living much longer than before, the days of retiring at 65 and dying at 72 have been replaced with retiring at 65 and dying at 90.

Low interest rates hurt too, tremendously.  Pensions cannot be invested solely in stocks; they rely on a certain level of interest income that we haven't seen in over 10 years.
View Quote
There's an easy fix for that - you let them collect full benefits for the first 5 years, then you reduce the pension by 10% per year until it gets down to zero.
If they don't want to postpone their retirement & draw their pension later then they'll have to; find another job; live off social security; get a reverse mortgage; have their kids subsidize them; or come up with another solution...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top