Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
A holster is to keep the weapon secure on one's belt. The only thing that a weapon lying on a night stand while placed in a holster does is slow down the owner's access to that pistol in the middle of the night in an emergency that may require quick, unfettered access to keep the owner alive. Holstering a night stand gun would be like removing the battery from one's car that is parked in the garage, every night before one goes to bed. So as to keep a burglar from breaking into your garage and stealing your car, before you wake up the next morning to drive to work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call me paranoid, but mine is under my pillow.
View Quote
I sleep in the middle. Wife on one side, suppressed sbr on the other.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A holster is to keep the weapon secure on one's belt. The only thing that a weapon lying on a night stand while placed in a holster does is slow down the owner's access to that pistol in the middle of the night in an emergency that may require quick, unfettered access to keep the owner alive. Holstering a night stand gun would be like removing the battery from one's car that is parked in the garage, every night before one goes to bed. So as to keep a burglar from breaking into your garage and stealing your car, before you wake up the next morning to drive to work.
View Quote
No.  It's really not like any of that nonsense at all.  I can have my pistol drawn and ready, one handed, just as fast as I could with it sitting on the night stand.

Totally unfettered access.  Ready to go.  But very less chance of a half-conscious ND.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#4]
My nightstand guns are SBR and suppressed 5.56 AND an MP5 SMG.  They don't go in a holster.

Why do people defend their homes with handguns?
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My nightstand guns are SBR and suppressed 5.56 AND an MP5 SMG.  They don't go in a holster.

View Quote
I have a carbine leaning against the nightstand, but if I woke up and someone was in my bedroom a pistol would be way faster to grab and get shots off with.

So I have a pistol ready too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I get the feeling this just cries out for someone to design something that could be 3D printed!
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hyperbole much?  Tell me that you've never knocked over a glass of water, or hit the wrong button on your TV remote at 3:00 am fast hands.

View Quote
Not in my adult life, that I can recall. The three things on my night stand are a Glock 34, an Ozark Trail cup and a phone charger. All three of those seem to do a great job of doing exactly what they should.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a few. G19 is hanging in a shoulder holster. 1911 no holster. Daily carry snubby is in a holster. Another revolver is in a drawer in a zip up gun case.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Absolutely not. G21.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Pistol in a holster on nightstand.

AR pistol and 12g next to nightstand too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because the particular setup of MY home is not very conducive to clearing with a long gun. Or even an SBR (or in my case, a 8.5 inch AR pistol).

Edit: For the most part, though, I agree.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes. It’s in an MTac IWB holster in my nightstand.

I heard a loud bang downstairs and my daughter yell one night. From a dead sleep I had the gun and flashlight out and ready. The holster was no issue coming off. Found it across the room once I cleared the house.

Not sure wha the noise was. Cameras showed nothing ???????
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope, in a stack on electronic safe mounted next to the bed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tie a short paracord lanyard to the screw on the inside of the drawer knob, and then clip that to your holster.  There is no extra step when you need the gun (unless you have some type of Level XXX retention holster).  Just grab the gun like you normally would.  All that you gain is safety.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope
Why not?
Because if I get woken up in the middle of the night and need to get it on, then I don't want the extra step of getting the gun out of the holster.
Tie a short paracord lanyard to the screw on the inside of the drawer knob, and then clip that to your holster.  There is no extra step when you need the gun (unless you have some type of Level XXX retention holster).  Just grab the gun like you normally would.  All that you gain is safety.
Well, you know, if a burglar came in and saw some asshole in his undies dragging his nightstand down the hall and cussing like a Portuguese sail, it might be pretty scary.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well, you know, if a burglar came in and saw some asshole in his undies dragging his nightstand down the hall and cussing like a Portuguese sail, it might be pretty scary.
View Quote
But that's not what happens.  The gun pulls right out of the holster and you are ready to go.

Some of you are being really obtuse about this.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But that's not what happens.  The gun pulls right out of the holster and you are ready to go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've owned handguns for 22 years and I have always had one next to the bed. I've never had a problem keeping the gun unholstered. I'll stick with what works.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#17]
No. When waking I don't want to take the chance of fooling with a holster.
It won't be the first grab though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've owned handguns for 22 years and I have always had one next to the bed. I've never had a problem keeping the gun unholstered. I'll stick with what works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My method is just as fast, and safer.  Plus it's already holstered if you need to throw some pants on and do something.  I don't really care what people do, but think about it for a second instead of just knee jerking.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Nope, nightstand has a shelf it sits on.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Well its an SBR, so nope.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes, otherwise my cat will manage to shoot me.
View Quote
I started holstering my nightstand gun when I read a news story about a lady who was shot by her parrot!  Her nightstand gun was upholstered and parrots being parrots....

Guess what my favorite pet is?  Yup.  Parrots.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No, because a holster would be an unnecessary encumbrance if I want to shoot someone.
View Quote
Eloquently stated and right on point.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes I do. I also keep it in a quick access handgun safe that is bolted to my bed frame because it is my dedicated home defense gun and is always there. Usually having a handgun in a holster means that it takes two hands to remove it. If you use a handgun safe most people aren't holstering their gun when they put it inside so it leaves the chance of grabbing the trigger in the heat of the moment.

My system allows for a secured handgun that is quickly available (Simplex lock) and it presents your holstered handgun to you in the exact same place (via gas strut) every time making it very easy to consistently retrieve your gun (one handed) in complete darkness and it's impossible to grab the trigger.

Most people won't use the thumb break unless its mounted in a car or in a way they just need the extra retention. This one is bolted from the side and attached to the wall studs.

Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Mine is unholstered in a biometric safe next to the bed. Not my preferred way to do it but I have young kids in the house.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#25]
No holster, that would be illogical, Jim.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes because I don't have a nightstand so I put it random places like my little camping side table or on the floor or wherever
View Quote
Gold right here.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Not every gun is a Glock, and not every nightstand is the same.
Making assumptions about what is safe for one person, should be the same for all people, is a mistake.

I don't need a holster or a safe to keep my handgun stored next to my bed safely.
YMMV
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine is attached ot the side of my bedside table via a large rubber coated magnet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Nope, inside a drawer and it's a DA/SA trigger.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yes, it is also my concealed carry gun
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'll add this to the discussion. Midnight. Awaken from REM sleep. I'd want a holster or a safety to make me pause enough, to get a little thought about what's going down.
View Quote
I agree. Easy to swipe away a holster than to grab randomly in the dark and risk a ND.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Mine is attached ot the side of my bedside table via a large rubber coated magnet.
View Quote
Same here. M&P FS 9 with a streamlight.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#33]
My night stand gun is a big-ass revolver under my pillow with no holster
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top