Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Shot the hell out of prairie dogs last year with my Savage A17 and I kept cleaning it throughout the day because I was shooting a lot. The gun kept jamming and misfiring by the end of the hunting trip. Turns out I cleaned it too much. It needs to run dirty and I took out all the lubrication.

Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I don’t clean my Glocks, except to get the “funk” off from being carried 14 hours a day 7 days a week.
They all get detail stripped and cleaned immaculately every few months, with usually a couple thousand rounds each through them.
Similar routine with my AR’s.

My heirloom guns get a cleaning after each range trip and periodically in between.

MP5 gets pampered a bit, mostly because it’s a pain in the ass once it starts building up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I clean my heirloom guns, like Dad's Model 94, and my Smith 19-3, every time I get them dirty. My every day 'working' and carry guns, like my stainless Ruger sp101, Glock, and my go-to 10/22, get cleaned maybe twice per year except for blowing off the lint and adding a drop or two of oil once a month or so.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Cleaning guns is largely a waste of time.   Add lube and keep shooting.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I hate cleaning guns.  It is a pain in the ass.  It hasn't stopped me from going shooting, but it has made me reconsider how many guns to shoot in a single session.  And I don't always clean them after shooting.  Usually I will at least run a patch through the barrel and wipe them down, but sometimes they just go back into the safe as-is.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's completely unnecessary to clean guns every time you shoot them. It's an irrational hold over from corrosive powders and primers. As far as scrubbing rifle bores goes, frequent cleaning does more harm than good.
View Quote
Boom.

The future is now, old man.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hate cleaning mine. I've got some I've never cleaned.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's completely unnecessary to clean guns every time you shoot them. It's an irrational hold over from corrosive powders and primers. As far as scrubbing rifle bores goes, frequent cleaning does more harm than good.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I raised lazy kids, what's wrong with this generation?

Did I about sum that up for you OP?  lol goddamn stupid boomers
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#10]
A prominent custom 1911 builder sends a letter with the gun that says that you should never clean the barrel of his $4-8k guns.

I wonder if it actually might be beneficial because the barrel becomes a bit more snug for the bullet with some build up.

Traditional gun cleaning dogma strikes me as opportunistic rather than fact-based....like auto companies suggesting oil changes every 3k miles.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I clean my rifles when the accuracy falls off, my pistols when I see a heavy buildup or crud.  I have seen many guns cleaned so often that the finish is damaged.
View Quote
A friend of mine cleans his pistols when they get dirty enough to stop working. I clean mine a couple at a time on days when I want to do something gun related but for whatever reason shooting is not an option.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Every once in a while I'll take her into the shower, split her in half and fill her full of shaving cream...dirty dirty gurl
View Quote
I would think that would work pretty well.

In recruit training (1981), we would take brand new boots into the shower with shaving cream and a brush to strip them. Once they dried, we'd re-dye them.

This stopped, outside of recruit training at least, when the speed-lace boots came out.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you change your oil every time you drive your car?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's just like the new cars, you don't even need to change the oil. That's what they make duct tape for- covering over the dash lights.
Do you change your oil every time you drive your car?
I've seen this comment multiple times in this thread already. I don't change the oil in my car every time I drive it, but my guns don't have a system that circulates, filters the gunk out and then reapplies the oil while I'm shooting them. They're also not nearly as sealed as an automobile engine is.

As to the original question, I clean my guns after every range trip. I've owned probably over 200 firearms at this point and only had a few that malfunctioned and those were factory defects that needed to be sent back to the factory. Cleaning also allows you to look for worn / broken parts and anything else that may cause a problem. Some firearms have loose tolerances that allow extended periods of neglect, some don't.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Obviously my black powder stuff gets cleaned at the range when I am done shooting.

Otherwise,  stuff I only drag out of the safe once in a great while,  I clean and run a kroil patch through the bore before I put it away.

Stuff I shoot often gets done at the end of the season or if I start to notice something with accuracy or function.   ( really the only time this was an issue was with a leaded up rimfire or chamber gets sticky from the wax lube on the shells)

The only exceptions are my match 22 gets done after practice except for the day or two leading up to the match when it is done at the end of the match.   And my 50 gets done after 12-15 shots.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is true. You don’t change the oil in your car after every trip. I clean my guns at intervals like after every 300 rounds or if I’m done shooting them for the season.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#16]
OCD people gonna OCD.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I failed to clean my glock after a few months of wearing it while sweating my balls off to lawn care.  Fucking slide rusted to the frame rails.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I keep seing this retarded statement posted over and over...Gues what, if you actualy did change your oil after every trip you'd have a million mile motor since the oil would NEVER carry any appreciable amount of combustion byproducts or suffer ANY effects of thermal breakdown. I've seen personally a guy's engine that used to run a quick change oil place who changed the oil in his ride every month, eince he got the oil & filter so cheap. He pulled the motor apart for a cam change and there was damn near no wear on any of the internals. You had to take a micrometer to it to find any deviation from the initial time he had first rebuilt it.

Made a believer out of me. To this day I keep the oil changes up on my vehicles like a religion. Guns too... Why in the world you'd want to leave any old lube & abrasive particles in the gun to keep acting on the parts to increase wear is beyond me. That's like saying why bother to wipe your ass, more shit is just going to come out of it anyway...
View Quote
Lol... k
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I clean ALL my stuff once a year. It is a ritual and we pick a nice October day, turn up the music, put something on the grill and make a great time of it. Many of these have not been used in the year prior but they still cleaned. Any gun I fire or take to the range or hunt with gets the "light treatment" prior to going back in the safe, car or home. My sons' Comp rifles RARELY get cleaned. It can take him a LONG time to de-copper and then "shoot in" the barrel, re-zero, verify velocity and dope.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Some of the younger guys I shoot with don't know how to field strip a gun. Seems like they never clean them and then bitch every range trip when the gun jams. I know a guy with a 930 that won't cycle a single round and has been like that for 2 years. Probably just needs cleaned.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't know what you guys are considering young, I'm only 32 and I love sitting down with a beer after a day at the range and breaking everything down to give it a thorough cleaning. In fact, cleaning my guns is the most relaxing thing to me. Put on a good movie or audiobook, sip a dark beer, give the hands something to do the mind a menial task...It's heaven.

I have friends, some much older than me that hate it. I don't get it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#22]
got tired of cleaning guns so i dont go shooting anymore. But, i do clean them at least when i do/did use them
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Also, sometimes I put on an action flick and clean guns just for giggles and shits.
View Quote
Who needs ants when you can have a hole in your wall!
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I raised lazy kids, what's wrong with this generation?

Did I about sum that up for you OP?  lol goddamn stupid boomers
View Quote
Raised smart kids that don't do extra work needlessly just because granpappy usta do it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In recruit training (1981), we would take brand new boots into the shower with shaving cream and a brush to strip them. Once they dried, we'd re-dye them.

This stopped, outside of recruit training at least, when the speed-lace boots came out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every once in a while I'll take her into the shower, split her in half and fill her full of shaving cream...dirty dirty gurl

Works great!!! We used to clean our M16s in the shower with shaving cream in basic training, worked great. Shake the water out and throw a bunch of CLP in it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A prominent custom 1911 builder sends a letter with the gun that says that you should never clean the barrel of his $4-8k guns.

I wonder if it actually might be beneficial because the barrel becomes a bit more snug for the bullet with some build up.
View Quote
I think he may be referring to scrubbing the chamber/bore.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Call me crazy but one of my favorite things to do is clean guns. I actually look forward to while I'm shooting. Have a whole process that I maintain each time as well. Always buying cleaning supplies.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I just hold mine by the optic and dunk in a vat of used motor oil.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#30]
You were taught wrong as far as today's materials are concerned.

I run cherry balmz in my shit and clean and re-apply every couple of thousand rounds or so.

"Clean after every range session" is dumb and counterproductive.  I'll run a bore snake through it after the range session.  That's it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm 31 and more anal about cleaning guns than I need to be.  I don't avoid the range because of it (there's plenty of other stupid reasons I avoid the range), but I really don't like cleaning when I get home.  I've been kinda successful in making myself not obsess over cleaning, but it still bugs me if I know the gun is going to be put up for a while and hasn't been cleaned.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I almost never clean guns. Mostly I just lube them. I rarely take them apart, spray brake cleaner all over and lube them.
View Quote
Do they even allow anything in NY that requires more than lube?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I haven’t cleaned a gun in 2 years. Buy quality firearms and they’ll keep on truckin along.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That right there. I grew up in that mindset of cleaning a gun if it had only fired one round. I carried a blue. 38spl for my CCW for almost twenty years. It did not get a full cleaning every day, but the exterior got a wipe down with a slightly oiled cloth every day to prevent rust.

My ECD for the last decade is a G27. Its lucky to get a full cleaning after 300 rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on the gun.
That right there. I grew up in that mindset of cleaning a gun if it had only fired one round. I carried a blue. 38spl for my CCW for almost twenty years. It did not get a full cleaning every day, but the exterior got a wipe down with a slightly oiled cloth every day to prevent rust.

My ECD for the last decade is a G27. Its lucky to get a full cleaning after 300 rounds.
Yeah, my Dad was a Korean War vintage Master Sargent, so I was taught if you shoot it, you clean it before you go to sleep.
And that is what I did, until I got a Glock and then an AR, they get cleaned and lubed when I feel they need it.

I do put them away clean, for long term storage. I want them ready to go fresh out of the safe.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Virtue signal all things.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#36]
If I don't have time to clean a weapon, I at least wipe it down.  I wish I'd tried to turn an M-60 into the armory, explaining that it didn't need cleaned.  Just to see what those understanding fellows said.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I clean them when they stop working, except my G26 that I carry everyday.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I usually clean whatever gun I had at the range that day later that evening. Only because I realistically don't know when I might take that particular gun to the range again if ever. It could be three months from now or three years from now.

None of them have shown any degradation in overall performance or accuracy from frequency of cleaning.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top