Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 8/26/2019 6:07:14 PM EDT
An Oklahoma judge on Monday ruled against Johnson & Johnson in the Oklahoma opioid trial.

J&J said it’s going to appeal the decision.

The fine was significantly less than the penalties sought by Oklahoma, sending J&J’s stock up by more than 5% in post-market trading after the verdict was read.

An Oklahoma judge on Monday ruled against Johnson & Johnson in the state’s opioid trial, forcing the company to pay $572 million in the first ruling in the U.S. holding a drugmaker accountable for helping fuel the epidemic.

Calling the opioid crisis an “imminent danger and menace,” District Judge Thad Balkman said “the state met its burden that the defendants Janssen and Johnson & Johnson’s misleading marketing and promotion of opioids created a nuisance as defined by [the law]”, including a finding that those actions compromised the health and safety of thousands of Oklahomans.

“Specifically, defendants caused an opioid crisis that’s evidenced by increased rates of addiction, overdose deaths and neonatal abstinence syndrome,” he added.

The ruling, which J&J intends to appeal, says that J&J and subsidiary Janssen repeatedly downplayed the risks of addiction to opioids, training sales representatives to tell doctors the risk was 2.6% or less if the drugs were prescribed by a doctor. Doctors who prescribed a high amount of opioids were targeted as “key customers.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/26/judge-rules-against-johnson-johnson-in-landmark-opioid-case-in-oklahoma.html
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Whose the member here whose daughter was involved in the case? He was posting updates
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Good.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#5]
total bullshit. J+J Never told MD's to overprescribe, total fucking horseshit. Most Dr's aren't even visited by reps from narcotic companies. They were prescribing according to tradition learned from the "PDR".The bible that docs use when deciding which and how much of a med to give to patients. It wasn't the everyday average MD causing the issue, it was the fucking crooked fucks(who were usually foreigners, but not always) who sold their souls and the narcotics.J+J did not convince ANYONE to overprescribe. No one told stupid fucks to dissolve it and inject it,snort it or smoke it let alone lie to 10 different dos that they are in pain. IT is corrupt judges on the take from attorneys who came up with this judgment only to split the money they steal from J+J.So I hope no one is happy here because maybe the next time you need aspirin it may not be available because j+J is gone
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#6]
This will just cause the rest of their medication prices to go up. We are always looking for someone else to blame for our personal failings.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote
Because a judge telling doctors what to do is a great plan.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This will just cause the rest of their medication prices to go up. We are always looking for someone else to blame for our personal failings.
View Quote
And make pain management meds tougher for the people that actually need them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote
Not good. Terrible decision. Abhorrent.

Let me guess: "big corporations bad!"
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#11]
So what is the real risk of addiction to opioids, 2.6%.... or more?

Seems to be a LOT more

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20161004/risk-of-opioid-addiction-up-37-percent-among-young-us-adults. 3 year old article, would think its even worse now by the increase in death by overdose.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Just wait until they get to OHIO!
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Boner and hair loss drugs will get more expensive.

Pop the P mags.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess the people can buy their pain meds off the street now, it's a bit harder to sue the street corner pill pusher.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

No, no, it's great. Who needs personal responsibility? It's all the manufacturer's fault!
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder what the outcry will be when J&J & the other pharma corps just decide to stop manufacturing opioids, to avoid lawsuits & further liablilties?

The spice must flow.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess no one knew the history of opium in this world.

This only comes down to attorneys, junkies still going to do their thing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote
Because who needs personal responsibility when you've got lawyers, right
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Good?

WTF...
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote
Can you elaborate please?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
I have been told, by someone who knows about these things, that a lot of the doctors working the on-line pharmacy and road-side pain management clinics were doctors that had lost their licenses in other states for things like sexual misconduct with patients and selling scrip pads and stuff like that.

The only downside of this verdict and the verdicts to come is that no pharma execs with hang in the public squares of places like Wilmington and Terra Haute.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No, no, it's great. Who needs personal responsibility? It's all the manufacturer's fault!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Doesn’t this set a president for gun manufacturers.?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
But, but it's for the children.

You don't know just how true this is. Drs are now covering their asses and patients that are in real pain are being told to take aspirin.

Strange how many conservatives we have here till we get to the specifics of personal responsibility.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Because who needs personal responsibility when you've got lawyers, right
View Quote
When the doctor you trust prescribes you an addictive chemical exactly who is responsible?  When, in the depths of the opioid crisis,  Congesscritters change the law to make it harder to shut down the companies churning out the drugs exactly who is responsible?  When DEA officials, who should be prosecuting the drug companies but are angling for better-paying jobs lobbying for them, fail to prosecute crimes exactly who is responsible?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
total bullshit. J+J Never told MD's to overprescribe, total fucking horseshit. Most Dr's aren't even visited by reps from narcotic companies. They were prescribing according to tradition learned from the "PDR".The bible that docs use when deciding which and how much of a med to give to patients. It wasn't the everyday average MD causing the issue, it was the fucking crooked fucks(who were usually foreigners, but not always) who sold their souls and the narcotics.J+J did not convince ANYONE to overprescribe. No one told stupid fucks to dissolve it and inject it,snort it or smoke it let alone lie to 10 different dos that they are in pain. IT is corrupt judges on the take from attorneys who came up with this judgment only to split the money they steal from J+J.So I hope no one is happy here because maybe the next time you need aspirin it may not be available because j+J is gone
View Quote
I was at the Dr today and 4 reps from 3 narco companies were in the lobby with me. One was bitching about having to turn in his company car (Equinox) with 17,000 miles on it. Another was complaining about a delay in his TSA precheck delay. Dude flew all the way to Alabama.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Guns are addictive in the way that tattoos are addictive and harmful in the way that spoons make people fat.

Has nothing in common with guns.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
When the doctor you trust prescribes you an addictive chemical exactly who is responsible?  When, in the depths of the opioid crisis,  Congesscritters change the law to make it harder to shut down the companies churning out the drugs exactly who is responsible?  When DEA officials, who should be prosecuting the drug companies but are angling for better-paying jobs lobbying for them, fail to prosecute crimes exactly who is responsible?
View Quote
I’m fairly sure the drug facts sheets for these meds state they are addictive and what to look for.

And prosecute them for making a lawful product because someone misuses it?  That’s a great idea to hear suggested on a gun board.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was at the Dr today and 4 reps from 3 narco companies were in the lobby with me. One was bitching about having to turn in his company car (Equinox) with 17,000 miles on it. Another was complaining about a delay in his TSA precheck delay. Dude flew all the way to Alabama.
View Quote
What narcotics were they representing?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
How much of those opiates were bought by medicare and medicaid patients?  The state should sue itself for enabling the opiate crisis.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, I'm not on board with holding companies who produce legal products being held accountable for end users use of said product.  There is indeed a problem, but that isn't the fix.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have been told, by someone who knows about these things, that a lot of the doctors working the on-line pharmacy and road-side pain management clinics were doctors that had lost their licenses in other states for things like sexual misconduct with patients and selling scrip pads and stuff like that.

The only downside of this verdict and the verdicts to come is that no pharma execs with hang in the public squares of places like Wilmington and Terra Haute.
View Quote
No downside to not getting meds when you really need them? Don't worry, your day will come.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And IMO it will also just make Drs. not want to prescribe the proper medicine for folks that actually need pain relief.
View Quote
It's already happening.  Metastatic cancer patients are going without because Docs are not prescribing and those who do prescribe are running into pharmacists who refuse to fill the Rx.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Jesus, what a bunch of bullshit.

Like no one knew the "risks of addiction to opioids?"

What is this? 1900? WTF?

The doctors didn't know?
The patients didn't know?

This is no different than suing gun manufacturers because some asshole shot someone.

I hope they appeal and win.

You know, there are evils everywhere. And even if the salesmen said "our opioids are non-addictive," the doctors know it's bullshit and any patient with half a brain knows it's bullshit.

Would you believe it if someone told you water is dry?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's already happening.  Metastatic cancer patients are going without because Docs are not prescribing and those who do prescribe are running into pharmacists who refuse to fill the Rx.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And IMO it will also just make Drs. not want to prescribe the proper medicine for folks that actually need pain relief.
When the old folks revolt it's going to be a bloodbath.

People in pain can get really pissed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
What crimes, pray tell?

The opiate "crisis" was manufactured BY the very same politicians and lawyers who now are bemoaning it.   Remember, "pain is the 5th vital sign!  OMG! Meanie doctors are leaving people in PAIN! Sue them! Regulate them!"
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries, avoiding to commercials I saw, opioid patients are too constipated to enjoy daily life so they'll just sit at home and bitch about it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This. A few more years fighting opiods, and all the druggies will still be druggies, just  on heroin now, and non drug addicts screaming in agony because no one will prescribe them narcotics for legit pain.

Druggies gonna seek drugs no matter what, just like gun control though, its the legal decent people who will get fucked because excuses are made for peoples shitty behavior. Everyone has a disease now, even 600lb land whales.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No worries, avoiding to commercials I saw, opioid patients are too constipated to enjoy daily life so they'll just sit at home and bitch about it.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
MiraLAX solves that problem easily.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Well that is not good...  I guess I should sue the maker of Oreo for making me like and eat Oreos so much.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What crimes, pray tell?

The opiate "crisis" was manufactured BY the very same politicians and lawyers who now are bemoaning it.   Remember, "pain is the 5th vital sign!  OMG! Meanie doctors are leaving people in PAIN! Sue them! Regulate them!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What crimes, pray tell?

Wait until elderly heart attack patients can't get morphine from EMS for the trip to the hospital.

Die in pain or die from fear.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What crimes, pray tell?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What crimes, pray tell?

You proved my point.  How is it the patient's "personal responsibility" to remain free of addiction when the government is forcing doctors to prescribe addictive pain killers?

But, to answer your question:

The drug execs knew the shit was addictive and deadly so they lobbied Congress and the president for the Ensuring Patient Access and Effective Drug Enforcement Act, which was signed into law by President Barack Obama in April 2016.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
They hid the truth about how dangerous they were.

This is a good ruling
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
No but IIRC, the clinical research was “adjusted” to “minimize” or downplay the risk of addiction of the newer products (which replaced the previous, well-known drugs).

But, muh patent expiration...

(Background: My dad was a clinical research chemist for a large Pharma Co. He had A VERY popular anti-depressant taken away from him when he wouldn’t falsify the results. It went to market...)

I put NOTHING past the pharmaceutical companies and .gov.

TC
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All they need to do is outlaw nicotine and it'll reach critical mass.

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn.  That's how killdozers happen.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You sort of proved my point.  How is it the patient's "personal responsibility" to remain free of addiction when the government is forcing doctors to prescribe pain killers?

Ensuring Patient Access and Effective Drug Enforcement Act, signed into law by President Barack Obama in April 2016.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What crimes, pray tell?

You sort of proved my point.  How is it the patient's "personal responsibility" to remain free of addiction when the government is forcing doctors to prescribe pain killers?

Ensuring Patient Access and Effective Drug Enforcement Act, signed into law by President Barack Obama in April 2016.
Is the govt. forcing them down your throat too?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I’m fairly sure the drug facts sheets for these meds state they are addictive and what to look for.

And prosecute them for making a lawful product because someone misuses it?  That’s a great idea to hear suggested on a gun board.
View Quote
Even better yet.  What about the FDA that approved this poison!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The only way that J&J could sell this medicine is because the federal government said they could.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
Shit, then why do they need prescription drugs for the condition?

Kharn
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top