Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Somme was piss easy compared to Passchendaele - or so I was told by a relative who was at both, as well as Gallipoli & a few other shows
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 I doubt many had a long lifespan in those days anyway but after surviving the Somme they probably figured every day was just a bonus anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfsQLtmuzYA
The Somme was piss easy compared to Passchendaele - or so I was told by a relative who was at both, as well as Gallipoli & a few other shows
 15 largest WWI battles
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Question: How the bloody fook do they smoke and drink all day and still walk around without dying like flies?

Especially Arthur. Add Tokyo on top of the tobacco and booze.

Lard Tunderin' Jaysus!
View Quote
They died at 50 like everyone else from the era

FWIW I drank and smoked like that in the Marines. It's totally doable when you're young and tough as fuck, as many of the characters are (Many WW1 vets).
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The story is about WWI vets in England (small heath rifles) who come back to the UK and wind up in a life of crime.  And discover....  they're fucking good at it.

I liked the scene when he came out with the fucking lewis machine gun and ate everybody's lunches.

Winston Churchill is depicted in it several times as well, and he is quite awesomely represented too.

There's a part where he dicks somebody down who shouldn't have spoke about the war by essentially polling the room, e.g.

"Hands, gentlemen.....

Verdun?

The Somme??"

The crown jewel of the show for me right there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I just started watching it last week. I’m three or four episodes into season 4 now, and I really like it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Linda or Ada?
View Quote
Ada, but Linda would sure mess you up for a long while
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Jessie, the commie agitator.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Linda or Ada?
Was just about to post that.  Dirty commie but hot as fuck.

Link Posted: 10/14/2019 12:39:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My Dad was a WWII vet and my Brother was a Vietnam War vet. Both smoked like a bonfire and drank like a fish. Dad made it to 66, my Brother made it to 58.

And for those of you that say "you build up a tolerance", tell that to your lungs and brain when they get cancer, your heart and legs when your arteries are clogged up solid, and your liver when it's in stage 4 cirrhosis.  FFS, hard to believe anyone over the age of 18 is fucking stupid enough to believe that you can develop a tolerance to heavy smoking, drinking and drug use. That's weapons grade stupid. Just because you can function daily doesn't mean you're not dying young.
View Quote
He said tolerance not an immunity. You can absolutely build up a tolerance for drugs and alcohol.  Doesn’t mean you won’t die.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/1200x675/p05mkx65.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Linda or Ada?

I dunno. The horse trainer chickysnack was hotter.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes. Turn on subtitles,  damn hard to understand what the hell some of them are saying
View Quote
That's what I had to do also.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
tom hardy as Alfie solomons is the best one.
View Quote
A full season of Solomons talking about baking cookies and growing tomatoes would be fine with me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I enjoyed it. Especially Tom Hardy's character. What a hoot.
As far as smoking and drinking like that...I did it for a few years before getting married. Was fun, but I wouldn't have been able to keep it up for much longer.
I suspect the tobacco they smoked then was much cleaner than the chemical laced bullshit on the market today. Also, scotch and irish whiskey (if decent) can be consumed all day without getting falling over drunk. All bets are off on bourbon or stuff like vodka.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#12]
It’s a good show....my wife brought up the smoking and wondering how hard it was for the actors to break the habit of having a cigarette in their hands all the time.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Lanchester still wasn't made until 1941.  

ETA: looks like a Steyr MP34 to me.

https://i2-prod.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article12946555.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/260417peakyblinders2.jpg
View Quote
Cant wait to do mine up one day

Link Posted: 10/14/2019 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Lanchester still wasn't made until 1941.  

ETA: looks like a Steyr MP34 to me.

https://i2-prod.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article12946555.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/260417peakyblinders2.jpg
View Quote
I'm guessing MP18, as the show takes place in the early 1920's and the MP34 would be just as out of place as the Lanchester.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm guessing MP18, as the show takes place in the early 1920's and the MP34 would be just as out of place as the Lanchester.
View Quote
Its a MP34

You can tell by the signature magazine loader built into the mag well as well as the top cover
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Its a MP34

You can tell by the signature magazine loader built into the mag well as well as the top cover
View Quote
Then yeah, firearms patents and time travel would have been better rackets.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The playlist on Spotify that has the entire soundtrack of all episodes is amazing.
View Quote
THANK YOU. Working this into my rotation.

Fun fact:
The PB theme song - Red Right Hand by Nick Cave - is also on the Dumb and Dumber soundtrack. I enjoy this fact probably more than I should.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Started watching the new season the other night. One episode in, not as interested in the show anymore. Had a hard time sitting through the first episode.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You do know that Aunt Polly is married to Major Winters?
View Quote
I did not. Mind: blown.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Started watching the new season the other night. One episode in, not as interested in the show anymore. Had a hard time sitting through the first episode.
View Quote
I’m watching mostly for the automobiles anyways.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Russian Princess FTW!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#23]
By order of the Peaky Fuckin' blinders, eh?!
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I watched season 5 a while back on ZionTV, pretty boring.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So aside from too much booze, smoking and guns, is it worth watching
View Quote
Yes
There's some titties, too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Best Netflix series.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I asked the same question while watching Mad Men.

Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Russian Princess FTW!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russian Princess FTW!!
Her mom was kinda hot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Her mom was kinda hot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russian Princess FTW!!
Her mom was kinda hot.
May the horse trainer gets my vote but of course I'd have to get thru her bad ass husband first. I was hoping she would be the main squeeze of Tommy's so we get to see her more then I looked her up and found out why they didn't go that direction
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The story is about WWI vets in England (small heath rifles) who come back to the UK and wind up in a life of crime.  And discover....  they're fucking good at it.

I liked the scene when he came out with the fucking lewis machine gun and ate everybody's lunches.

Winston Churchill is depicted in it several times as well, and he is quite awesomely represented too.

There's a part where he dicks somebody down who shouldn't have spoke about the war by essentially polling the room, e.g.

"Hands, gentlemen.....

Verdun?

The Somme??"

View Quote
I think they made that up. There's also mentions of the Warwickshire Yeomenry in previous episodes, which was a real regiment that recruited from that area. WY is kind of like the Warwickshire version of the national guard. That regiment was sent to Galipolli, not France
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Question: How the bloody fook do they smoke and drink all day and still walk around without dying like flies?

Lard Tunderin' Jaysus!
View Quote
Not only smoking and drinking, but using Laudanum, cocaine, and whatever else they are snorting up their noses too!
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#32]
You've never hung out with the Irish have you?

Link Posted: 10/15/2019 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You've never hung out with the Irish have you?

View Quote
No. But i’d love to sit and listen to Irish women. Their accent kills me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lard Tunderin' Jaysus!
View Quote
No fast food back then.......
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#35]
The large lump behind Cillian's right ear is distracting.

From Reddit:

Link Posted: 10/15/2019 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Finished season 5 last night....wish there was at least one more episode. Gonna be a long wait on season 6
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Linda or Ada?

In that case you need to watch the “Last Kingdom” on Netflix.  That actress does a pretty hot nude scene, think she shows up in season 2.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

In that case you need to watch the “Last Kingdom” on Netflix.  That actress does a pretty hot nude scene, think she shows up in season 2.
View Quote
I knew I recognized her from something else....that was it....she has a few good scenes in Last Kingdom.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The large lump behind Cillian's right ear is distracting.

From Reddit:

https://preview.redd.it/83f89pohq0601.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=9c1666931408b14e4013446157442cb63f3fa818
View Quote
I noticed that, too. I don't recall it from last season.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I like the show, but I’m growing tired of the “slow motion fashion walks”

You know, when they parade in slow motion with the tailored Armani, and fireballs explode from the alleys.
View Quote
LMAO. I love the series but I was thinking the exact same thing during the first episode or two of the current season!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think they made that up. There's also mentions of the Warwickshire Yeomenry in previous episodes, which was a real regiment that recruited from that area. WY is kind of like the Warwickshire version of the national guard. That regiment was sent to Galipolli, not France
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Hands, gentlemen.....

Verdun?

The Somme??"

Wait.. So you're saying that a television program is not historically accurate?  
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Hands, gentlemen.....

Verdun?

The Somme??"

but it very easily could have been. they got so much of it right, that seemed like a sloppy mistake
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

"Hands, gentlemen.....

Verdun?

The Somme??"

View Quote
Refresh my memory, what episode was this?
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#44]
That show is where I learned the word Diddicoy. Not something you hear every day.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So aside from too much booze, smoking and guns, is it worth watching
View Quote
No
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Peaky fooking Blinders!
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
but it very easily could have been. they got so much of it right, that seemed like a sloppy mistake
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Hands, gentlemen.....

Verdun?

The Somme??"

They got very little right if you get picky.  The real Peaky blinders were a low level group of thugs in the 1890's and had ceased to exist long before WWI. No razor blades in caps or any of the things that happen in the TV show. Just a group of street punks that faded away.

Most times historically correct doesn't make for good television.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Honestly, I watched the first episode of the new season and though it was a total cluster...I'm a major fan, but half the time I had no idea what they were talking about or doing....guess I need to watch the next episode../
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Honestly, I watched the first episode of the new season and though it was a total cluster...I'm a major fan, but half the time I had no idea what they were talking about or doing....guess I need to watch the next episode../
View Quote
I just finished the last of season 5.  It gets better.  They almost lost me when they were (at least to me) clearly making an anti-Trump/fascist statement...
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They got very little right if you get picky.  The real Peaky blinders were a low level group of thugs in the 1890's and had ceased to exist long before WWI. No razor blades in caps or any of the things that happen in the TV show. Just a group of street punks that faded away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Hands, gentlemen.....

Verdun?

The Somme??"

I was commenting mainly on the sets and feel of the area. I worked with a lot of small industrial suppliers/job shops in that area during the 80s and it still looked like that
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top