Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That's not a Panzer IV.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
All you need for a mobility kill on an Abrams or BFV is a 3 foot section of rebar, tanker bar, balloons filled with paint....it's not rocket science.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my stupid coworkers said that crap me to as well. I said something to the effect if he remembers how Vietnam went. He quickly shut up and agreed with me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One of my stupid coworkers said that crap me to as well. I said something to the effect if he remembers how Vietnam went. He quickly shut up and agreed with me.
View Quote
History is absolutely filled with examples of sucsessful asymmetric warfare.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Dead cop. Really?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

History is absolutely filled with examples of sucsessful asymmetric warfare.
View Quote
our Revolution is one of them...….
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gorilla tactics are a mother fucker to conventional forces
View Quote
Guerilla.

Use the correct word, please. It lends credibility to your argument.

Unless you meant "gorilla," which reminds me of the American Tourister commercial from the early 1970s.

AMERICAN TOURISTER - The Gorilla Commercial 1971

Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Dead cop. Really?
View Quote
WACO

dynamic alphabet roof entry team being shot up by the dynamic alphabet room entry team
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've heard this crap multiple times in recent years and it drives me absolutely crazy.

Had a co-worker (liberal as hell) tell me this exact thing the other day at work - "gun owners think they can defeat anything with a rifle - how effective is that rifle going to be against tanks and aircraft?"

I reminded her of all the insurgencies throughout history where poor farmers with only small arms kept major military powers on their toes for years and years.

I told her, "the last time I checked, the Taliban doesn't have tanks or aircraft either - they wear rags, have little to no transportation, and still (with only small arms) - they haven't been defeated or given up."

She had no response to that and walked away.

Anyone else encounter this bullshit logic from the left?
View Quote
I’ve been a counter-insurgent my entire adult life, you sir, are correct.

It all boils down to popular support.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If my time in Texas is had taught me anything it’s that the answer is....well....Texas.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Dead cop. Really?
View Quote
You misspelled "tyrant".

And he was very much alive at the time of the photo.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/HxcyyxMH/gorgon-stare-image01.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/dQCCQhvj/NG-hatchet-dispensers.jpg

On a long enough timeline, the arc of history bends away from human shooters.
View Quote
That drone pilot has to go home eventually. So does the guy making his food. His parents live near one of us. Maybe his kids go to school with one of ours. His aim better not be too good. This ain't Afghanistan and we aren't random strangers who he'll never see again once he goes home.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#15]
My answer is always the same:

They don't send an F-22 to your door at 3am to round you up. They send some poor schmuck with an AR15.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The fact that some people are comfortable with the thought of their government having the wherewithal to use tanks and aircraft against their citizenry, and in fact are more comfortable with that than they are with the thought of you being armed, tells you all you need to know about them.
View Quote
What I was thinking.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That drone pilot has to go home eventually. So does the guy making his food. His parents live near one of us. Maybe his kids go to school with one of ours. His aim better not be too good. This ain't Afghanistan and we aren't random strangers who he'll never see again once he goes home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/HxcyyxMH/gorgon-stare-image01.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/dQCCQhvj/NG-hatchet-dispensers.jpg

On a long enough timeline, the arc of history bends away from human shooters.
interesting to note, when the Maoists and Soviets decided to clamp down on a particular area they'd get conscripts from distant rural regions that were uneducated and illiterate, shove a gun in their hands and point them in the right direction......problem with pretending that method is used  here is that the very people our own progressive commie cunts want to put down are the very people that grew up hunting, independently farming, living in small towns, and living in such a way that they're somewhat self sufficient. Our servicemen and women are on a whole well educated, and firmly situated in the middle class. On top of that much of the ranks of the military the progressives would have to depend on to inflict their punishment on the fly over country are the offspring of the very same people they wish to suppress.

This is an interesting article.....looks like unrepentant deplorables from the south tend to dominate our military service numbers. Who'd a thunk it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Two reasons.  They have to get fuel and food sometime and a lot of the tanks and planes will be on my side.

You think all of them are magically going to land on the “Kill citizens” side.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A lot of good points ITT, this is not one of them.  Killing innocent women and children is something the bad guys do, not true Americans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They might be worthless against air and armor...but they're damn effective against their wife and kids.
A lot of good points ITT, this is not one of them.  Killing innocent women and children is something the bad guys do, not true Americans.
LOL...ok.

Curtis Lemay says otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I have found that people that use that ‘argument’ are only trying to mock or belittle. They have absolutely zero interest in civil discourse.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have found that people that use that ‘argument’ are only trying to mock or belittle. They have absolutely zero interest in civil discourse.
View Quote
I've found that at the source they are scared and they are trying to bluff their way out of the problem and argument.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"Your AR-15 is worthless against tanks and aircraft" is a supposition that she has yet to prove.

What does she base her assessment upon?

A careful analysis of the role of small arms in conflict over say the last 75-years or her feelz based on watching MSNB-hee-haw and reading the WaPo?
View Quote
I've heard many from the other side state that the only way to inflict change, even in the face of a tyrannical government is the ballot box. That the 2nd amendment was never intended to protect us from or to fight against a tyrant. Violence they say only begets violence.....Gee, I guess the founders were stupidly lucky.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We beat them at Saratoga before the French decided to help. They waited until they saw we could win it. England realistically had no clear path to victory.
View Quote
Logistics are a motherfucker.
A long, expensive unpopular war over some godforsaken continent half a world away.. with ages old enemies right next door just watching and waiting to take advantage.. not many have the stomach for a protracted fight like that. To be honest, I'm surprised they did for as long as they did.

Eta, this argument fascinates me, as most leftists have a third grade understanding of how things work in the real world. They have no idea how complicated, expensive and time consuming maintenance, logistics, training and things of that nature are.
They think they can snap their fingers and the police and military will do their bidding, indefinitely, and not give a thought to the things mentioned above.

The government wouldn't have to just worry about bubba red-stater with his ar15, they'd have to worry about literally everything.
military/police defectors and saboteurs, those who stay and "work" for them but are sabotaging things in the background.
All the soft targets out there.. power relays/stations , dams, bridges, water treatment, farms, crops, manufacturing facilities, ports, warehouses/storage.. all would be up for grabs. How are they going to protect it all? They can't.
If people were motivated enough to really be pissed at the government and wanted to do some damage, they could.
How would the govt protect all of those things, and feed/manage their hordes of loyal "subjects" in the big cities? Many would suffer and die, and guess who the big city survivors would blame along with bubba?
talk about zero sum game.. sheesh.
And that stuff is only a fraction of what is possible.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Obviously our government has gotten to the point where it no longer listens to Machiavelli...….as if any of them are that well read in the first place.

“He who becomes a Prince through the favour of the people should always keep on good terms with them; which it is easy for him to do, since all they ask is not to be oppressed”
? Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince

“Men sooner forget the death of their father than the loss of their patrimony”

“But when you disarm them, you at once offend them by showing that you distrust them, either for cowardice or for want of loyalty, and either of these opinions breeds hatred against you.”
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I would say they are correct.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A long, expensive unpopular war over some godforsaken continent half a world away.. with ages old enemies right next door just watching and waiting to take advantage.. not many have the stomach for a protracted fight like that. To be honest, I'm surprised they did for as long as they did.

Eta, this argument fascinates me, as most leftists have a third grade understanding of how things work in the real world. They have no idea how complicated, expensive and time consuming maintenance, logistics, training and things of that nature are.
They think they can snap their fingers and the police and military will do their bidding, indefinitely, and not give a thought to the things mentioned above.

The government wouldn't have to just worry about bubba red-stater with his ar15, they'd have to worry about literally everything.
military/police defectors and saboteurs, those who stay and "work" for them but are sabotaging things in the background.
All the soft targets out there.. power relays/stations , dams, bridges, water treatment, farms, crops, manufacturing facilities, ports, warehouses/storage.. all would be up for grabs. How are they going to protect it all? They can't.
If people were motivated enough to really be pissed at the government and wanted to do some damage, they could.
How would the govt protect all of those things, and feed/manage their hordes of loyal "subjects" in the big cities? Many would suffer and die, and guess who the big city survivors would blame along with bubba?
View Quote
Yep one lesson learned in the last several years in conflict in the ME. Support assets are low hanging fruit. You attack support convoys not groups of steel eyed operators.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Correct... A simple, “I pray we never find out” says it all without saying anything and gives plenty of coverage should she run to HR or a judge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its really not worth the argument or protentional red flag

Those people have their minds made up just the same as we do
Correct... A simple, “I pray we never find out” says it all without saying anything and gives plenty of coverage should she run to HR or a judge.
I agree, I wouldn't engage with someone making that argument. At least, not specifically on that topic.

For "normals" or moderates I'd argue the utility of a rifle for HD or minor SHTF situations.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The Revolution didn't start in 1775.   It started in the hearts and minds of the people decades prior to the first shots ever being fired.

I see nothing remotely close to that necessary revolution of mindset occurring with the population at large.

Yes, we have a Constitution.  We have a Bill of Rights.   So?   Most Americans don't give a fuck about the Constitution or Bill of Rights.
View Quote
The militia at Lexington turned out with empty arms since they were just standing in protest, not even blocking the route. Their "mindset", as best I can tell, is that Redcoats were their soldiers and wouldn't shoot them without good cause.

I wouldn't sell modern Americans short. There hasn't been much reason to think we would have revolution, we had fair elections and we thought FBI et al were basically honest and working for American security.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Dead cop. Really?
View Quote
ATF agent raiding the Branch Davidians. One of the secret police agencies the feds have, going after people for owning gun parts.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Now I'm not advocating violence here by any means.  Far from it.  But it's fairly well known in circles that think about things like insurgency and counter-insurgency if you want to really lay the hammer down on the locals you just go after their local government a wee bit.  Turn up the heat and all of a sudden the situation becomes much more malleable.  You just have to be the guy who can keep "those other guys" from getting to them while you remain perilously close to them, their immediate family, their extended family, and anything else they hold dear.  All politics is local.

What is happening now is local politicians are starting to see the score.  It's only a matter of time until a leftist decides to move to political violence.  They openly teach it on college campuses.  I had classes in doing it back in the 80's, with the admonition that you'll wind up strapped to a metal bed spring hooked up to a battery charger if you try it.  But leftists tend to ignore the lessons of history.

I can remember a time in this country when it was not safe for government men to go up some hills and hollers.  We're not talking about some philosophical argument over property rights or something.  There were hillbillies who would flat out murder them with no hesitation.  It took several generations of welfare and drug abuse to nip that one in the bud.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
CONUS is a bunch of soft targets including military facilities. It would be a huge deal to turn the US military into a domestic occupation force (without considering if it would comply which is another issue). The optimal situation for occupation is something like the Red Army in Poland in 1946, where you are occupying a nearby and connected nation that is alien (and hence the loyalty of the soldiers is assured).

In the event of a widescale uprising it is game over for those in power. It seems to me the game is for them to keep a cap on it using the secret police orgs. That's "their military". When it gets too large for the secret police, they lose. But in the early stages they have a huge advantage.

Military and tanks is really the wrong discussion.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#34]
"gun owners think they can defeat anything with a rifle - how effective is that rifle going to be against tanks and aircraft?"

It doesn't have to be effective against tanks and aircraft, it just has to be effective against the back of a congressman's head.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#38]
wikipedia:

"In North Africa, in the fifteen months before Stirling's capture, the SAS had destroyed over 250 aircraft on the ground, dozens of supply dumps, wrecked railways and telecommunications, and had put hundreds of enemy vehicles out of action."

The SAS destroyed more airplanes on the ground with small teams than fighters or anti-aircraft took down.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For real. I have been training so hard in the 1MOA all day challenge that I can totally shoot down an ICBM. Stupid fucks thinking my AR15 can't stop a nucular missile. /s

Some of you are so out of touch with reality that I understand why people demand qualifications to purchase a firearm. There was a time when this and other forums self policed enough to make it plausible for gun owners to be seen as rational actors. Those days are long gone. We all look fucking nuts now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A nuclear device is a relatively fragile and complicated piece of technology. A bullet in any number of places will disrupt it and prevent it from hitting critical mass.
For real. I have been training so hard in the 1MOA all day challenge that I can totally shoot down an ICBM. Stupid fucks thinking my AR15 can't stop a nucular missile. /s

Some of you are so out of touch with reality that I understand why people demand qualifications to purchase a firearm. There was a time when this and other forums self policed enough to make it plausible for gun owners to be seen as rational actors. Those days are long gone. We all look fucking nuts now.
You seem concerned.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If a U.S. president did decide to turn the military on Americans in large scale, there would likely be mass desertions-particularly among combat arms personnel, as they tend to be conservative leaning. Sure, the Army would still have a bunch of supply sergeants and personnel clerks, but they aren't going to be doing shit. Of course, any of us who have served knew combat arms folks who leaned left. So, yeah, those people might be willing to stack up on an American's house, or drive an Abrams down Main Street. But, there won't be many of them.
View Quote
I'd like to believe that, but the response after the Boston Marathon bombings makes me doubt it
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top