Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Orion67:
I had a guy come into the Glendale AZ Cabela's looking for a flashlight mount for his S&W .500.  He wanted to remove the sights and install a light in their place.  As he stated "When the drug dealers down the street break into my home I don't want to accidentally shoot my kids".  

Another guy stated that his Korean War vet neighbor told him that pushing on the muzzle of a 1911 was a safety feature, the gun would not fire.  When I told him his neighbor was an idiot for suggesting that, he left in a huff.  

But my most enjoyable day was the day I spent several hours with a young autistic man who knew he couldn't touch any of the guns, but wanted me to show him all the cool stuff he had read about.  His mother came over after about an hour and told him to stop bothering me.  I said he was no bother and I was having fun chatting with him.  Manager never said a word to me, just let me keep entertaining the kid.  He gave me a hug and a high five when it was time for him to leave, and evidently mom sang my praises to the store manager.  He was a nice young kid, and a treat to deal with after some of the idiots I saw while working.  I would have trusted that kid more than some of the folks I actually sold to.
View Quote

You done good. One of my favorite customers was genetically deaf. Once I figured it out, we never said a word, we just passed a piece of paper back and forth with a pen. We'd turn it over and when we ran out of room, I'd go get another sheet. We'd draw diagrams amd shit. I could tell nobody had ever given him the time of day in a gun shop, but it was nice. The time investment of writing everything kinda demanded that all communication be simple and to the point. I did good business with him and he seemed to appreciate it. He asked some of the smartest questions I'd been asked in my time behind the counter and he'd keep the pages with URLs when I told him "I don't know, but go check here". For all I know, he's a member, here. One of the sheets had "ar15.com" on it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:35:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By GovtThug:

I can respect that. Not everyone knows everything about everything.

Once I was sitting in an NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) training class, and the instructor informed us that upon seeing a nuclear explosion when on open terrain, we were to assume the position of FACE to the blast, place your hands over your eyes and thumbs over your ears, tuck in your arms, and close your heels together. 

Well, not one being prone to keeping my mouth shut, I asked why this had changed from the previous doctrine I had been taught, which was ASS TO THE BLAST, but otherwise the same position. I was told to shut my mouth and follow current procedures.

The senior instructor went up and pulled him to the side, and then the instructor came and explained the change to us. Then the senior instructor pulled me aside, and told me that it was good that I had spoken up. That it's important to question things you don't understand, and admit when you don't know something and get the correct answer to everyone who heard the question.

Well, you did that. You didn't know the answer, so you got them to someone who did. 

You did your job. Advise, or refer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALex:

I had zero interest in shotguns and knew my limitations.  As such, I was always mindful to pass those customers off. 

Once I was sitting in an NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) training class, and the instructor informed us that upon seeing a nuclear explosion when on open terrain, we were to assume the position of FACE to the blast, place your hands over your eyes and thumbs over your ears, tuck in your arms, and close your heels together. 

Well, not one being prone to keeping my mouth shut, I asked why this had changed from the previous doctrine I had been taught, which was ASS TO THE BLAST, but otherwise the same position. I was told to shut my mouth and follow current procedures.

The senior instructor went up and pulled him to the side, and then the instructor came and explained the change to us. Then the senior instructor pulled me aside, and told me that it was good that I had spoken up. That it's important to question things you don't understand, and admit when you don't know something and get the correct answer to everyone who heard the question.

Well, you did that. You didn't know the answer, so you got them to someone who did. 

I did a foolhardy thing once, when I was in the Marines.  They came out with a newer, thicker, Essential Subjects book, and while browsing through it at my desk, I noted the same change you did, about head to blast, instead of ass.  The Bn SgtMaj walked in, (I worked in the Bn CO's office), I told him about the change, and he asked me why I thought they changed it.  I surmised it was due to the new Kevlar helmet/armor, and loose crap flying toward you after the explosion, and ass to the blast would allow fragments to crawl up the back of your helmet and kill you.  He thought that was a pretty good reply, then he detailed me to go though that thick m-fer and see if they made any other changes.  F my life.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:11:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Got another one...

When I bought my Beretta U22 Neos, the salesman told me that the thumbscrew that attaches the barrel to the frame was for trigger adjustment.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:58:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I was at the BiMart (PNW chain store) gun counter and an old guy and his wife walked up. He was looking for
CCI 22LR because "they use a special kind of gun powder that makes them just as powerful as 22 magnum".
The girl behind the counter was trying not to laugh as she told them they were all out of CCI. She asked me
if I needed anything after he left and I was only able to get out, "you don't have any CCI with that special gun"
before she told me to shut up, just stop.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I generally avoid gun stores because of the derp

Cop buddy (also a 10 year army veteran with a few tours in Afghanistan) buys 7.62x39 for his 308 “it’s the same just not as powerful”
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:12:18 AM EDT
[#6]
“ I was a c.i. and we never wore body armor because a 22 would zip right through.”
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:16:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Talk ? No.
Crazy prices for guns? Yes
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:26:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I tend to not visit gunshops with ignorant or shitty staff.  Too many good shops to not have to deal with it. My big pet peeve are lowballers for trades.

That said, the only oddball stuff I’ve heard from customers lately:

“I won’t buy an AR unless it’s military spec.”

“Beretta is a cheap budget brand like Taurus.”

“I’ll trade you straight up, this VP9 for that braced Scorpion”

“As soon as you put one round through that gun, it’s only worth half the value”.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:33:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I can walk into a store and leave with a Glock in 10 minutes. I don’t have a “fast pass permit” or whatever. Honestly the OP answered his own question I think.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:38:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By conductor:
Young woman walks into the gun store and says that she wants a gun for home protection. She has never owned a gun before, and has never even shot one.

But she wants a Glock, because that's what a guy at work told her to get.
View Quote

Not uncommon, for first time buyers to seek out opinions of friends and family
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:43:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Had a guy walk in asking if we could get him body armor. He was being really weird about it. Asked what he needed it for and he said ask me no questions, and i'll tell you no lies. We told him to get the fuck out and not come back.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:46:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By WadeGarrett:
Not a gun shop, but at the Walmart gun counter years ago:

Old Lady: I have a stray dog getting in my trash. I don't want to kill it, but only sting it.
Gun counter idiot: *rummages around in the ammo* Here's some Stingers for a .22.  That oughta do it.
View Quote

Gun counter guy was quick thinking and the old lady is, well, an old lady. Lol.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:06:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Heard a guy tell his kid a Garand was a bolt action rifle once. My brain nearly melted after that one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:08:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

Not uncommon, for first time buyers to seek out opinions of friends and family
View All Quotes
Young woman walks into the gun store and says that she wants a gun for home protection. She has never owned a gun before, and has never even shot one.

There is a glock for every size and situation. All are Dead nuts reliable and tough. It would be my first recommendation.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:24:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ToadKing:
45 cuz if I have to shoot someone I don't want him to fall on me.

45 cuz I don't want to have to shoot twice

22 bounces around

22 is the deadliest

If you want to shoot 1000 yards you need this. (puts century c308 on counter)

View Quote

If you really want to confuse them in those discussions about 22 rimfire, just acknowledge that it had its heyday as a self defense round when rimfire was still king, and while I wouldn't want to get shot by a 22 rimfire, there are better options for self defense in the modern day. But also consider the customer. If it's an elderly person who can't handle much more than a 22, I'm not going to tell them to not buy the gun
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:30:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Local Gun Stores in S. Indiana:

Firearms marked up several hundred dollars (more than reasonable)

Shotgun ammo... oh you mean birdshot?

Handguns: Would you like a Glock or a Ruger Revolver? (I like both FWIW)
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:32:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Orion67:
Another guy stated that his Korean War vet neighbor told him that pushing on the muzzle of a 1911 was a safety feature, the gun would not fire.  When I told him his neighbor was an idiot for suggesting that, he left in a huff.  
View Quote

Maybe the dude was just confused by what his neighbor was telling him. If the pistol isn’t fully in battery, the head of the disconnector will still be depressed by the slide, which prevents the sear from moving. That actually is a safety feature.

My favorite gun store comment was by some old guy that said modern infantry should be issued M1903s so they wouldn’t waste so much ammo dicking around not hitting anybody. He was serious.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:47:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Dumb kid behind the counter of a Gander Mountain told me that another  LGS (over an HR away) that was THE gun shop to go-to forever was able to sell guns cheaper because they bought out all the shops that closed etc..
Also another employee told a couple that purchased a handgun about a range that was over an HR away to go-to to shoot the new gun at..
I mentioned an indoor range like right down the street...
Employee acted like paying a small price to go to and indoor range (where employees work that would help and give some instruction etc...) Was an idiotic idea..
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:57:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 10mmManiac:
When attempting to make a legit trade, one I was clearly losing money on. "Well lemme check what they are going for on Gun Broker first,  comes back and asks for 400 cash on top of a a shotgun he was going to make 2700 on. He basically wants me to gice him more than what I paid for the gun new
View Quote

I don't understand the math in your story.
A trade is usually going to be items of  more or less equal value items, or benefit the dealer in value. Otherwise there's no financial incentive for the dealer. So you're saying that you're trading the dealer a firearm that he can flip for 2700 in profit versus the gun you're receiving in the trade? That doesn't sound like a "legit trade" . It sounds to me like you assigned a higher value to the firearm you were trading than what the dealer was willing to give it

You might very well have been losing money on the value of your gun versus what you paid for it. That happens to things like ARs bought during a panic when inflated prices are in play, much to the enjoyment of many here. That doesn't mean that the AR in question retains that value at a later time....
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:10:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Ege:

My favorite gun store comment was by some old guy that said modern infantry should be issued M1903s so they wouldn’t waste so much ammo dicking around not hitting anybody. He was serious.
View Quote

Should have told him that the Army was leery of issuing a bolt action rifle to the troops because they were afraid that it would lead to men wasting ammo  . Seriously.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:57:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Clown_Gun:
Gunstore employee when I asked about a beautiful rifle on display (this was in 1984/5-ish): "That is a Weatherby Mark V in .460 Weatherby Magnum.  It's a SIXTY CALIBER rifle."

Me: ?!?!?!

The guy was dead fucking serious that .460 Wby. Mag. was sixty caliber.
View Quote

The Mark V Deluxe in .460 came with a 28” barrel which is technically a 60 caliber length barrel if you’re using naval barrel terminology.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:05:18 AM EDT
[#24]
"That's a rare gun." A local gun shop had a guy that would say that for any gun that was out of production at the time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:08:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You should dry fire a 1911
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:35:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MrWhite:
You should dry fire a 1911
View Quote

You can dry fire a 1911 till doomsday.  What's the issue?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I was told I didn’t need an AR to hunt hogs by a gun store owner in Concord, CA. He eschewed the idea of using anything but a bolt action for hunting. He about shit when I showed him pics of my hog kills with my suppressed 6.8 SBR.

Of course his store was full of the most “tactical” shit he could sell.

That fuck is as much of a detriment to gun owners as anyone.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#28]
The clerk pointed out mistakes the buyer was making on the 4473 and he replied "Give me some credit, I'm a little drunk right now".
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Some dude trying to push tiny 38special revolvers to every female customer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:04:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By rhygin:
"If you buy it here, you will get your form 4 suppressor paperwork done and stamp back in less than 90 days."
View Quote
At the turn of the 21st Century the Wait Time was About that long.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#31]
While waiting to ask a question, I over heard the counter idiot telling his three gangbanger looking buddies——“ buy the Glock, they have ceramic barrels so the bullets can’t the traced. The problem is that the barrels only last 6 rounds but you can buy them by the six pack”. I left then without asking my question. Should have asked just to see how entertaining his answer would have been. (I don’t want a gun where I have to change barrels twice before a reload.)
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:26:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Spearweasel:

So what is the answer?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spearweasel:

So what is the answer?

Just shut your mouth and follow current procedures.

Sorry, I was just waiting for someone to ask that.

The reason I was given is, the initial blast moves down and outward from the detonation. This would supposedly catch your helmet like a parachute and drag you across the ground, causing further injuries. The air rushing back moves in and upward, and would not have the same effect. It kind of made sense to me, except that if you were that close to the blast, the heat and radiation would probably do a number on you anyways. At least it was a better answer than "just do what you're told".
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By sq40:

There is a glock for every size and situation. All are Dead nuts reliable and tough. It would be my first recommendation.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:

There is a glock for every size and situation. All are Dead nuts reliable and tough. It would be my first recommendation.

First two I had were legitimate pieces of junk, stovepipes for days with anything less that self defense ammo. I've had a 26 for a lot of years and it's been great but my 09 17 and 19 models were not only junk but ugly junk in the case of the 19 because it was done in the chalkboard looking finish they'd started using. I'd ordered it off Buds and couldn't tell until it got to the dealer.

I also have a piece of junk Toyota Sequoia, so I'm good at finding the flies in the kool-aid, yay me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Went to the local shop and asked the owner’s son for some 7.62 NATO rounds. He asked if I wanted Russian or American NATO rounds because 7.62x51 and 7.61x39 are both NATO rounds. He then tried pushing .308 rounds. I was looking for 7.62x51 for a reason. He said .308 and 7.62 are identical. Tried to explain the difference when the owner came over and told the son he didn’t know what he was talking about.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By zach_:
...I need a new gun belt. Not only did I outgrow my pants, but I now need the next size up in belts. I can't IWB comfortably with my current IWB gunbelts.
View Quote

Must be that nasty Covid-19 pounds
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#36]
You don't need to go to a gun shop to hear stupid shit. We have GD here on Arfcom.

Social distancing, you know . . . get your stupid shit virtually.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I actually don't hear a lot of nonsense at gun stores. You run into the "I don't like _______ brand" quite a bit. But to each their own.

The biggest misconception I hear about is gun registration. Every non-gun-owner thinks there is nationwide gun registration.
View Quote
What do you think a 4473 is ? It is damn sure not used to arrest felons trying to by guns like it was sold as.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By NathanL:
30 year old guy talking about when he was in Vietnam.
View Quote

Yeah, on his way to meet a 14 year old tranny in Thailand!
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Years ago I was looking at Garand in a shop.  It is an H&R and one of the very last ones ever made.  Guy walks in and asks if he can see it.  Looks it all over, it is  in great shape, sees it is a very late serial number H&R and pronounces that this was a Garand used as a parade rifle at West Point.  He leaves a few minutes later and the gun shop owner looks at me and says "I hope you don't believe that."   Then explained that he was "That guy" who always has an expert opinion on every gun in the shop.  I did purchase it.  

For the record only 157 made after it as serial numbers go.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#40]
I was buying a bunch of ammo one day, and at the counter they had these cool 1* stickers. This was about 15 years ago, I had heard of it but never seen one so I put it on the pile. The counter girl asked for my department ID.

"For what?"

"The sticker, they are LEO only"

"That sticker is LEO only?"

"Yessir, but you have short hair so I am sure you are ok"

"Ummm, no, never mind. I don't want anything"

It was about $300 in ammo. I have never been back.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:
"The sticker, they are LEO only"
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#42]
i was in a pawn shop once and a guy started doing the "load the gun" scene from the terminator. luckily it was just a idiot and not a crazy guy intent on causing harm.

he asked to see a revolver, the clerk hands it to him, and turns away to do something. the customer pulled out a handful pf bullets and started loading the revolver. i had my hand on my CCW and was watching him closely basically shocked he appeared to be about to load the gun. i was standing behind him about 10 feet away, and was ready to shoot the guy in the back if he did something crazy, like try to rob the place, but the entire thing lasted maybe 5 seconds from the time he pulled out the ammo and from the time the clerk stopped him.  he was fumbling around and had the first round half loaded when the clerk noticed what he was doing.

clerk... hey you cant do that !

customer...  sorry, i just wanted to make sure the ammo i had at home would work in this gun before i bought it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By JamesTheScot:

I actually don't hear a lot of nonsense at gun stores. You run into the "I don't like _______ brand" quite a bit. But to each their own.

The biggest misconception I hear about is gun registration. Every non-gun-owner thinks there is nationwide gun registration.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JamesTheScot:

I actually don't hear a lot of nonsense at gun stores. You run into the "I don't like _______ brand" quite a bit. But to each their own.

The biggest misconception I hear about is gun registration. Every non-gun-owner thinks there is nationwide gun registration.

Television is the explanation for this. You see this in bad television.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
i was in a pawn shop once and a guy started doing the "load the gun" scene from the terminator. luckily it was just a idiot and not a crazy guy intent on causing harm.

he asked to see a revolver, the clerk hands it to him, and turns away to do something. the customer pulled out a handful pf bullets and started loading the revolver. i had my hand on my CCW and was watching him closely basically shocked he appeared to be about to load the gun. i was standing behind him about 10 feet away, and was ready to shoot the guy in the back if he did something crazy, like try to rob the place, but the entire thing lasted maybe 5 seconds from the time he pulled out the ammo and from the time the clerk stopped him.  he was fumbling around and had the first round half loaded when the clerk noticed what he was doing. 

clerk... hey you cant do that ! 

customer...   sorry, i just wanted to make sure the ammo i had at home would work in this gun before i bought it.
View Quote

WOW! That is someone looking to get shot....
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By _rubexx:
After the Texas Church shooting where that guy Jack dusted the perp with the .357 P229 SIG......I was at a shop in Jacksonville and this old dude comes in, probably pushing 75+, New York accent, goes up to the counter and says "I want a gun to shoot someone, like in a church"......they almost threw him out but then just realized he was on old lonely guy just wanting to BS
View Quote

Shooters ? Or green acres?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
At the turn of the 21st Century the Wait Time was About that long.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
Originally Posted By rhygin:
"If you buy it here, you will get your form 4 suppressor paperwork done and stamp back in less than 90 days."
At the turn of the 21st Century the Wait Time was About that long.

I would have fun with that one if I heard it.

“Ok, so what kind of discount do I get if 90 days pass and I don’t have my suppressor?”
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By yagotme:

I did a foolhardy thing once, when I was in the Marines.  They came out with a newer, thicker, Essential Subjects book, and while browsing through it at my desk, I noted the same change you did, about head to blast, instead of ass.  The Bn SgtMaj walked in, (I worked in the Bn CO's office), I told him about the change, and he asked me why I thought they changed it.  I surmised it was due to the new Kevlar helmet/armor, and loose crap flying toward you after the explosion, and ass to the blast would allow fragments to crawl up the back of your helmet and kill you.  He thought that was a pretty good reply, then he detailed me to go though that thick m-fer and see if they made any other changes.  F my life.
View Quote

An experienced slacker would then fuck off for the next couple days with the book open in front of him or on the table. You could be "reading", out "researching" or whatever.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:

He was statistically correct. Most engagements are less than a mag and less than 10 seconds. 

However, it's not the odds that make me carry.  It's the stakes.
View Quote

SIG LINE material...You haz it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
However, it's not the odds that make me carry.  It's the stakes.
View Quote

SIG LINE material...You haz it.
View Quote

I don't play the lottery. Occasionally though, the prize gets so ridiculously huge, I'll grab a $5 quick pick as a goof. Why?
Because when the stakes are high enough, the odds cease to matter.

“You never talk of likelihoods on Arrakis. You speak only of possibilities.”
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:
Bought a couple boxes of 12 gauge buckshot after Columbine form walmart. I looked young but was over 18. Clerk asked me if I was going to shoot up my school. 
View Quote

I bought several hundred rounds of ZQ1 at WalMart. The girl asked if I was an assassin.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top