BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hollywood_Shooter:
So -- since OP doesn't know anything about encryption (established) -- can someone who does please explain if this is correct, and if not, why not :

1) .gov assumed Apple had a backdoor, Apple claimed otherwise Correct.

2) lacking Apple's assistance, .gov spent a year and eventually hacked the phone. Correct, though technically it was a third party that actually cracked it.

3) did .gov crack Apple's encryption -or- did they just crack the one phone in question? It isn't clear since we don't know how it was cracked.  It could be limited to that phone, that model, or iPhones in general.

4) if we assume the former, now .gov has built themselves a tool that works on potentially any iPhone --  a tool they most likely would not have had otherwise -- If it works on all iPhones or at least phones of a specific model, then yes, they have a tool they would not have had otherwise.  Since "otherwise" implies they would have already had access, it's not like we would have been better off had Apple just given them a back door to start with.  Welcome to the cat & mouse game of cybersecurity.
View Quote

See comments in red.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So -- since OP doesn't know anything about encryption (established) -- can someone who does please explain if this is correct, and if not, why not :

1) .gov assumed Apple had a backdoor, Apple claimed otherwise

2) lacking Apple's assistance, .gov spent a year and eventually hacked the phone.

3) did .gov crack Apple's encryption -or- did they just crack the one phone in question?

4) if we assume the former, now .gov has built themselves a tool that works on potentially any iPhone --  a tool they most likely would not have had otherwise --
View Quote
Ok, I'll take a shot at this.

1. Most government employees that work with tech are morons. I spend 24 years doing digital forensics and computer crime, I averaged 200 hrs a year in CE. My sergeant could barely turn on a computer.

2. I'm guessing they used social engineering to guess the password, most bad guys aren't too bright.

3. It's a one off (See #2) I worked with GreyKey, sometime we would get 9 updates a day.

4. NSA\CIA, Maybe. But were talking about a cluster computer that gulps large amounts of power (and cooling!) They may know the algorithm, but what gets you is the size of the keyspace. Now I haven't really looked at the new Apple bootloader encryption, but it wouldn't surprise me to find more than one key being used. At least that's how I would do it (but i'm a sneaky bastard and I don't care about feels.)  

Jim
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
So -- since OP doesn't know anything about encryption (established) -- can someone who does please explain if this is correct, and if not, why not :

1) .gov assumed Apple had a backdoor, Apple claimed otherwise
.gov never assumed Apple had a backdoor.  They told Apple to create tools to bypass the phone's security features and break the phone's encryption.  What they really told Apple was stop using strong encryption in their consumer devices, which makes all of us more vulnerable to everyday criminals.

2) lacking Apple's assistance, .gov spent a year and eventually hacked the phone.
That's the story from the FBI and DOJ.

3) did .gov crack Apple's encryption -or- did they just crack the one phone in question?
They hacked the phone in question.  Apple devices use AES, which is a NIST encryption standard.  There are published attacks against this encryption standard, but none that are currently workable without knowledge of the key.  The US government requires data that has a classification of Sensitive but Unclassified (SBU) or above to be secured with modules in compliance with FIPS 140-2 .  Modules using AES can be validated for compliance with FIPS 140-2, so we can draw the conclusion that even the US government believes AES is secure.

4) if we assume the former, now .gov has built themselves a tool that works on potentially any iPhone --  a tool they most likely would not have had otherwise -- 
Not sure what you're implying here.  The US government has trillions of dollars to build data centers and hire employees to throw at cracking encryption.  Documents released by Edward Snowden say that the NSA was working on cracking AES back in 2013, so we can assume the US government was developing those tools long before this particular phone.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Rented a "smart house" last year....the TV talked to the fridge, the fridge talked to the lights, and the lights talked to the security system.  My wife told a joke, I laughed, the wife laughed, the fridge laughed, I drew my CCW and shot the fridge.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not sure what you're implying here.  The US government has trillions of dollars to build data centers and hire employees to throw at cracking encryption.  Documents released by Edward Snowden say that the NSA was working on cracking AES back in 2013, so we can assume the US government was developing those tools long before this particular phone.
View Quote

I'm implying that if .gov would have gotten it sooner or later as you suggest, and 'assuming' Apple already had a key, then Apple wasted a year of tax payer's time.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

BS. There is nobody in the FBI that would ever abuse their power.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]

I'm implying that if .gov would have gotten it sooner or later as you suggest, and 'assuming' Apple already had a key, then Apple wasted a year of tax payer's time.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:
Not sure what you're implying here.  The US government has trillions of dollars to build data centers and hire employees to throw at cracking encryption.  Documents released by Edward Snowden say that the NSA was working on cracking AES back in 2013, so we can assume the US government was developing those tools long before this particular phone.

I'm implying that if .gov would have gotten it sooner or later as you suggest, and 'assuming' Apple already had a key, then Apple wasted a year of tax payer's time.  

You should stop implying things that you have already admitted to knowing little about.  

Apple did not have "a key" and the government was working on cracking encryption long before Apple said "we won't make a key for you" and they would have continued to work on cracking encryption even if Apple did say "fine, we will make a key for you" because Apple isn't the only player in the encryption game.  The only thing Apple wasted was the FBI's attempt to use a single case of terrorism to circumvent the 4th amendment across the board.

ETA Apple did not waste a year of taxpayers' time.  They ultimately have no control over what the FBI does or does not do.  The FBI is solely responsible for their actions.  The FBI wasted a year of taxpayers' time.  You could make the same argument about all the taxpayer time gun owners waste by fighting gun registration.  Imagine all of the taxpayer time wasted dealing with those pesky 4473s.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CincoBoy:
I might be wrong but I believe the FBI can already break into iPhones without Apple’s help.
View Quote

Anyone can break older iphones, especially with no ios updates (because updates are bad).
hard to do anything with a newer, updated iphone when the usb port is disabled, and the same rules apply to unlocking the usb port as unlocking the screen.

Jay

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm implying that if .gov would have gotten it sooner or later as you suggest, and 'assuming' Apple already had a key, then Apple wasted a year of tax payer's time.  
View Quote

It wasn't a year. The attack was in Dec, so it was only a few months. And the terrorist was already fucking dead. The govt just wanted to go on a fishing expedition through the guy's phone. Remember all the shit the Obama DOJ was throwing at Apple to get into the San Bernadino terrorist's work phone? They finally did on their own, and there ended up being zero useful info on it
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes
Not sure what you're implying here.  The US government has trillions of dollars to build data centers and hire employees to throw at cracking encryption.  Documents released by Edward Snowden say that the NSA was working on cracking AES back in 2013, so we can assume the US government was developing those tools long before this particular phone.

You keep assuming Apple had a key.  They didn't then, and they don't now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Not arguing that.  Full disclosure, if it wasn't already clear, I don't know shit about encryption. 
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By deevil:

It's clear that you don't understand how encryption works. Apple had no way to offer help, other than giving the government copies of his iCloud data and in-app purchase history, which they did.
If Apple were able to instantly circumvent their encryption, it wouldn't be encryption.

Not arguing that.  Full disclosure, if it wasn't already clear, I don't know shit about encryption. 

That's beyond obvious.

This thread makes you sound like one of the JBTs that would be excited to arrest someone for not standing 6 feet apart from someone.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You should stop implying things that you have already admitted to knowing little about.  

Apple did not have "a key" and the government was working on cracking encryption long before Apple said "we won't make a key for you" and they would have continued to work on cracking encryption even if Apple did say "fine, we will make a key for you" because Apple isn't the only player in the encryption game.  The only thing Apple wasted was the FBI's attempt to use a single case of terrorism to circumvent the 4th amendment across the board.

ETA Apple did not waste a year of taxpayers' time.  They ultimately have no control over what the FBI does or does not do.  The FBI is solely responsible for their actions.  The FBI wasted a year of taxpayers' time.  You could make the same argument about all the taxpayer time gun owners waste by fighting gun registration.  Imagine all of the taxpayer time wasted dealing with those pesky 4473s.
View Quote

fair enough.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You keep assuming Apple had a key.  They didn't then, and they don't now.
View Quote

So now the world's most experienced iPhone hacker works at the DOJ?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For me it's easier to use cloud storage and just avoid the whole murdering an office full of people thing.
View Quote
lolz
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's beyond obvious.

This thread makes you sound like one of the JBTs that would be excited to arrest someone for not standing 6 feet apart from someone.
View Quote

edgy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#23]

So now the world's most experienced iPhone hacker works at the DOJ?
View Quote

Unlikely.

The feds usually consult an outside security firm (with multiple people on a team, not just one) on problems like this.

Come on, for you to think that the “worlds most talented iOS hacker” works for the DOJ, you’d have to concede that the DOJ actually hires people with genuine talent.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fail.

You & everyone else that didn't actually process what I wrote.   Never once did I say that the .gov should tell Apple anything.

What I did say is that it would have been nice if Apple had provided the data of their own volition .
View Quote
Apple didn't have the data to give them
Quoted:
So -- since OP doesn't know anything about encryption (established) -- can someone who does please explain if this is correct, and if not, why not :

1) .gov assumed Apple had a backdoor, Apple claimed otherwise

2) lacking Apple's assistance, .gov spent a year and eventually hacked the phone.

3) did .gov crack Apple's encryption -or- did they just crack the one phone in question?

4) if we assume the former, now .gov has built themselves a tool that works on potentially any iPhone --  a tool they most likely would not have had otherwise --
View Quote
The gov did not crack the encrypted data.

don't believe everything you read, a narrative is being started to get the public support to end encryption.
part of this narrative is "well, we already can break it anyway".

can say more then that but if you want proof - ask yourself: how does the general public feel about all their emails being stored?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By captainpooby:
The NSA collects everything, every email, text message and phone call. We are told this helps us catch terrorists. The FBI could have asked the NSA for this information yet they didn’t. Because this was not a US person, they didn’t even need a FISA warrant to do it. Why did they have to ask apple for help?
View Quote

Maybe because the entire premise of what you wrote is false.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Or shot up an office I'm assuming.

For me it's easier to use cloud storage and just avoid the whole murdering an office full of people thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And this is why I would never ever use Icloud.

Or shot up an office I'm assuming.

Apple doesn't have access to the iCloud data beyond certain things like calendars or contacts.

passwords and the like are end to end encrypted.
If you store data in iCloud Drive you can opt to encrypt that data if you like.

there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding on how iCloud works and what's stored.
I may start a thread on the nuts and bolts of iCloud, iOS and MacOS.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

You keep assuming Apple had a key.  They didn't then, and they don't now.

Of course they don't.  However, the federal government has essentially unlimited money and unlimited time to throw at a problem.  That makes solving problems easier.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

don't believe everything you read, a narrative is being started to get the public support to end encryption.

can say more then that but if you want proof - ask yourself: how does the general public feel about all their emails being stored?
View Quote

I've never assumed that any electronic data was safe.     I've always figured if one man can build it, another man with a big enough purse can fuck that shit up.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#29]

I've never assumed that any electronic data was safe.     I've always figured if one man can build it, another man with a big enough purse can fuck that shit up.

View Quote

The whole point of strong encryption is that even nation states with unlimited budgets can't break a proper implementation of the algorithm.  AES is a strong encryption algorithm.  (Caveat, I'm not a cryptography expert.  I simply accept what experts in the field say at face value.)

Here is an article on just how strong AES is:
How secure is AES against brute force attacks?

Here's a blurb to give you the flavor.

If you assume:
Every person on the planet owns 10 computers.
There are 7 billion people on the planet.
Each of these computers can test 1 billion key combinations per second.
On average, you can crack the key after testing 50% of the possibilities.
Then the earth's population can crack one encryption key in 77,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've never assumed that any electronic data was safe.     I've always figured if one man can build it, another man with a big enough purse can fuck that shit up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is fairly safe... that is exactly what the discussion is about... the Gov wants it to be less safe.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Good on Apple.

If you don't defend freedoms, even when they're dangerous, you lose them.

Sucks that a POS terrorist took advantage of our Few remaining freedoms, but that's how it works

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
normally I'm all about protecting the civil rights of US Citizens, but this POS wasn't American - so fuck him.
View Quote
But they cant have a backdoor just for people who arent americans, thats not how encryption works
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
But they cant have a backdoor just for people who arent americans, thats not how encryption works
View Quote

so I've heard
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top