Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My LaSportiva Trango GTX’s have survived 3 elk seasons...which is 2 seasons more than any of my other equally expensive boots have made it through.  Comfy too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The less bloody ones.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

those are more for trail walking.  What kills me is that Danner wants like 150 for them and they are Chinese.  Thats a dealbreaker.

I would get a real boot.

You an get Bates Combat Hikers in specific sizes on Amazon for 125. Here They are not made anymore.  These were military boots.  Danner, Bates and Wellco made them.
Danner now sells the same boot to civilians and now calls them Crater Rims and they are around $400

These boots are awesome for yard chores and durable enough to dig with a shovel and it wont hurt your feet. I can spend all day at the range and be comfortable. Waterproof too.  No insulation.  I have had mine for a decade.
I only wear once a week, so they ook great.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252915/20200612_223433-1459420.jpg
View Quote

Cool thanks for the info. Those look a lot like my Timberlands. I will look into those. (edit: figures they don't have my size)

The imported "made in China" thing is a deal breaker for me also.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an old pair of Altama jungles in od green. They've attended about a decade's worth of trips to the National Matches, been water logged more than once down there, and a few times in deep mud. Yet them clean up and look good when polished still.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:59:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a friend with some RATS. They look new because his nickname is “blister”....
View Quote

I have RATS from Bates and Danner and never got blisters. Maybe he should buy boots that fit.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/H5IAAOSwrk5ezfyN/s-l300.jpg

Alden 405's are my go to, do anything boots.

They're worth every penny.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, I like those.

I always wanted a pair of Alden 405 boots, but finding a pair in 14W would be expensive and probably a custom job.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/H5IAAOSwrk5ezfyN/s-l300.jpg

Alden 405's are my go to, do anything boots.

They're worth every penny.

I love those, but in 2 weeks they'd look like shit.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 4:42:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It took me forever to find the perfect boot for hot weather in the humid South.

Then I tried the Belleville 990 Hot Weather Combat Hiker.

It was perfect and I wore them everyday for eight years.

When I needed a new pair, I discovered Belleville discontinued them.

I tried a pair of the Bates version and they don't fit the same and aren't as comfortable.
View Quote

@HermanSnerd

Belleville still makes that model.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 4:45:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cool thanks for the info. Those look a lot like my Timberlands. I will look into those. (edit: figures they don't have my size)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

those are more for trail walking.  What kills me is that Danner wants like 150 for them and they are Chinese.  Thats a dealbreaker.

I would get a real boot.

You an get Bates Combat Hikers in specific sizes on Amazon for 125. Here They are not made anymore.  These were military boots.  Danner, Bates and Wellco made them.
Danner now sells the same boot to civilians and now calls them Crater Rims and they are around $400

These boots are awesome for yard chores and durable enough to dig with a shovel and it wont hurt your feet. I can spend all day at the range and be comfortable. Waterproof too.  No insulation.  I have had mine for a decade.
I only wear once a week, so they ook great.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252915/20200612_223433-1459420.jpg

What size are you?
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 4:48:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Marry Poppins wears those too.
View All Quotes

Those would shit the bed in this situation

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Danner Acadia...
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 5:15:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got around a dozen pairs of boots, my favorite calf=high boots are Meindle. In ankle high hikers it's Lowa. Both have stayed waterproof for a number of years of walking through water regularly.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 5:28:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:06:58 AM EDT
[#14]
That would be nicks boots.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#15]
RM Williams Comfort Craftsman

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Danner Pronghorn side zip/lace up snake boots. I use theses 90% of the time hunting in Texas and Arkansas.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:52:56 AM EDT
[#17]
When I see what some of you wear for boots, I have to admit that we have more homosexual members than I had realized.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought these Keens years ago from a recommendation on here. Great boots lasted a long time (a long time is two years for what I do )

Attachment Attached File

I bought these Keens hoping to get the same usage, nope, lasted about a year

Attachment Attached File

Had to buy a pair in winter and boots are hard to find around here in winter that aren’t 1200 grams of thinsulate .These Keens sucked ass and last about 4 months

Attachment Attached File

Now I’m in these Georgia boots with the shitty “heel lock “ system. Heaviest most uncomfortable boot ever , but they have lasted two years now

Attachment Attached File

I can’t imagine paying 400 for a pair of boots that I would ruin in a couple years AT BEST .

I’m looking for a summer boot right now , everything is shitty hiking pieces of shit that wouldn’t last the month .
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought these Keens years ago from a recommendation on here. Great boots lasted a long time (a long time is two years for what I do )

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223987/24298BEE-E38A-45FA-BA7F-63E94EF60033_jpe-1459690.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223987/C0ACF6E8-7303-4A1E-9A79-5B67B4C165DA_jpe-1459691.JPG

Had to buy a pair in winter and boots are hard to find around here in winter that aren't 1200 grams of thinsulate .These Keens sucked ass and last about 4 months

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223987/289234F0-AE45-4C9D-BDEC-0301878F0733_jpe-1459694.JPG

Now I'm in these Georgia boots with the shitty "heel lock " system. Heaviest most uncomfortable boot ever , but they have lasted two years now

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223987/476A79BE-8663-44AE-9680-2B5A3F072CEF_jpe-1459695.JPG

I can't imagine paying 400 for a pair of boots that I would ruin in a couple years AT BEST .

I'm looking for a summer boot right now , everything is shitty hiking pieces of shit that wouldn't last the month .
View Quote
Try scarpa wrangell gtx.

Kinda hard to break in, but really durable
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223987/24298BEE-E38A-45FA-BA7F-63E94EF60033_jpe-1459690.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223987/C0ACF6E8-7303-4A1E-9A79-5B67B4C165DA_jpe-1459691.JPG

Had to buy a pair in winter and boots are hard to find around here in winter that aren't 1200 grams of thinsulate .These Keens sucked ass and last about 4 months

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223987/289234F0-AE45-4C9D-BDEC-0301878F0733_jpe-1459694.JPG

Now I'm in these Georgia boots with the shitty "heel lock " system. Heaviest most uncomfortable boot ever , but they have lasted two years now

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223987/476A79BE-8663-44AE-9680-2B5A3F072CEF_jpe-1459695.JPG

I can't imagine paying 400 for a pair of boots that I would ruin in a couple years AT BEST .

I'm looking for a summer boot right now , everything is shitty hiking pieces of shit that wouldn't last the month .
View Quote

What do you do?

@dsteelman

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What do you do?

@dsteelman

View Quote

Land Surveyor .
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Try scarpa wrangell gtx.

Kinda hard to break in, but really durable
View Quote

Those look nice, gonna check them out , thanks
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Scarpa Haraka gtx, Im fully satisfied.

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What size are you?
View Quote

9 or 9.5 depending on boot/shoe
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Land Surveyor .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you do?

@dsteelman

Land Surveyor .

I think your issue is you are buying imported boots.  Honestly, paying 250 and up for boots that are USA made and tough, isnt that hard to swallow if they last 4 times as long as your $150 boots that last 1 year.
I posted a link to the Bates combat hikers for 125.. see if they have your size.  they are pretty tough, USA made surplus, only 6 inches tall, so that might be a deal breaker.  they are not insulated.

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I like a nice round full C. B's are ok if they are shaped nice on a small frame woman. There is no excuse to have A's in todays society.
View Quote

‘More than a mouthful is a waste’

That said, my shirt is stuffed with Cs
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Lowa Trekkers.
Very comfy and protect my feet and ankles.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

@HermanSnerd

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried a pair of the Bates version and they don't fit the same and aren't as comfortable.

@HermanSnerd

Really??

They aren't listed on the website anymore.

They have the Burma 901 jungle boot and the C390 Hot weather combat boot but those are both 8" boots.

I don't see any of the 7" hiker hot weather boots.

I also bought a pair of their 6" Tactical Research boots and they were garbage.

Looking for any recommendation from someone that lives in a hot and humid area for a comfortable hiker boot that allows heat and moisture to escape easily.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Really??

They have the Burma 901 jungle boot and the C390 Hot weather combat boot but those are both 8" boots.

Looking for any recommendation from someone that lives in a hot and humid area for a comfortable hiker boot that allows heat and moisture to escape easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@HermanSnerd

Really??

Im sorry. I just googled the name and found some links, but just now I looked and the links are for boots in weird sizes like 4 1/2

I wear Bates RAT boots when its hot, they are tough, but very cool and flexible.

Belleville has a 590 that looks decent.

If you do some digging, you might find the Bates RAT boots in your size.. They probably will have the EGA logo on them.  The Marines had alot of leftovers when they switched boot styles.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Replaced my old Danners with these really like 'em

I still have my 45 yr old Danner lights I wear in winter...and an older pair of Danner mid cut hiking boots
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

9 or 9.5 depending on boot/shoe
View Quote

There's a few 9.5 Thorogoods in the Amazon Warehouse deals right now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#33]
God I hate these damn threads......Now I HAVE to have a new pair of boots

I wear hiking boots almost year round for both work and home.  I currently have a couple of pairs of Merrels, a pair of Kayland Zephyr, Danner Acadia, Lowas, and a couple of pairs of Salewa approach shoes.

The Merrells are by far the WORST POS boots I've ever bought.  They are the same size but yet fit completely different and the soles inflame my knee to the point I limp.

So far out of all the boots I've had over the years, the Asolo I had for dog training were the most comfortable boots right out of the box for everyday wear.  Danner Acadias are awesome but damn heavy and not for casual wear lol.

Anyone looking for low top comfortable hiking shoes should look at the Salewa Wildfire GTX shoes.  Super comfortable and durable as hell.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There's a few 9.5 Thorogoods in the Amazon Warehouse deals right now.
View Quote

Thanks I'll check them out.

Presently I'm leaning toward the Bates GX-4.

But I'm a little hesitant about Bates. I had a bad experience with Bates dress shoes when I was in the Navy.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Timely thread is timely. I'm looking to replace my Bates GX-8 comp toe side zips. The've been great, I'll miss them. Since I have to complicate things, I decided that this time around, I will buy only US-made boots. That narrowed the selection somewhat, because 99.87 % of boots sold in the US are made in ChinaIsAsshoe.

I dislike waterproof boots, and black footwear in general. Insulated boots are for weather that I rarely encounter in Arizona. Zippers are a good feature for when my back is acting up. Safety toes are increasingly mandatory on job sites, and a good idea in my line of work anyway.

I finally found a Belleville steel toe-side-zip-hot weather boot that I like. Belleville recently quit making this model, to the supply is limited to stock on hand. I've tried a few Bellevilles on in the store and found them to run about a full size too large. The boots had to be ordered online with no chance to try them on. They're sage green, which I can live with. I would prefer some shade of tan. If these don't work out for me, Keen has a (very) few models that will suit me, but I really wanted at least a 6" boot.

I just tossed two pairs of pull-ons, Justin and Durango, both Chinese. Both had saddle vamps, which failed at the stitching. I think this is from being rubbed against  ladder legs, but it's been a failure point on two pair. The Durangos in particular are comfy as bedroom slippers, but they only held up for seven months. The Justins blew out at the vamp and at the side seam by the ankle, also within a year. The leather and soles on both are still in great shape; it was the stitching that gave up. Repairing them would be more spendy than replacing them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252915/20200103_092953-1459657.jpg

View Quote

Disagree. I bought a pair of those fifteen years ago and just recently threw them out, and then only because my water heater died and soaked a bunch of my stuff. Those boots and two other pair were covered in green mold, so they took up residence in the dumpster. Those boots went everywhere, in all weather, and only got sidelined because they didn't have steel toes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I like a nice round full C. B's are ok if they are shaped nice on a small frame woman. There is no excuse to have A's in todays society.
View Quote

I read it that way too
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Disagree. I bought a pair of those fifteen years ago and just recently threw them out, and then only because my water heater died and soaked a bunch of my stuff. Those boots and two other pair were covered in green mold, so they took up residence in the dumpster. Those boots went everywhere, in all weather, and only got sidelined because they didn't have steel toes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252915/20200103_092953-1459657.jpg

You wore dress shoes to do actual work in?
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#39]
My RW 10877's. Have a shit load of their heritage line. Have White's Smoke Jumper's, Horse Hide Wesco dress boots, but I always come back to the old faithful moc toe.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Asolo
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Work boots or boots?

Boots: https://viberg.com/

Work boots: Redwing or Ariat composite toe
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Miendl - Made in Germany got a pair from Cabela's (before Bass Pro bought them out), excellent quailty.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Love my Oboz.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#45]
17” bison hide Chippewa Snake boots. Sort of a cross between cowboy boots and Wellington boots. They are near perfect for walking deep grass at night while hog hunting. I can step on a snake and not sweet it now.

Every step pumps air so my foot stays comfy even with cushioning wool socks in the summer!

My pant tuck in and stay clean. Great for hay operations, briars are no problem. I keep them polished up and can walk through creeks and my feet stay dry.

https://www.amazon.com/Chippewa-17-Mocc-Toe-Pull-23909/dp/B00INUOQCW
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
kennetrek
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Thanks for the link.

I read up on the sizing. Looks like they run about a half size large so I got the Belleville's instead of the Bates in 9R for $60.

Made in the USA.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Kennetrek mountain guide boots.

Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.

I read up on the sizing. Looks like they run about a half size large so I got the Belleville's instead of the Bates in 9R for $60.

Made in the USA.
View Quote

Please post you're opinion of them and how they fit when you get them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Please post you're opinion of them and how they fit when you get them.
View Quote

@OverScoped @charlesb_la and everyone else, Thanks for the advice!

I ended up with 4 pairs of boots.

Bates GX-4 = Yeah not happy with these. They dig into my ankle and have a hot spot on top of my foot. I do like the light weight. I'm hoping over time they will break in.

Belleville MCB = Awesome and very well made boots. They are simple, rugged and basically bomb proof design. They should last a long time. They fit well and very comfy. Plenty of toe room.

Danner Vicious and Downrange = Really nice boots. They fit like a glove but for my feet.

Unfortunately they are made in Vietnam.
I got these during the Danner 30% off sale.
I couldn't pass them up. Got a bunch of socks too.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top