Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You watch them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yesterday I rescued a baby chickadee that had fallen out of its nest prematurely.

At first I thought it was a dog turd in the driveway but upon closer inspection it was a chick.

I moved it to a shady/grassy area off the driveway and vowed to let nature take its course.

6 hours later my conviction to nature waned and I rescued the little bugger.

I prepared a nice "nest" in a spare dog bowl with water, grass, smooshed up strawberries and a dead dragonfly.

He/She? began to defacate and overall was building strength.  Started to work its wings and overall you could see a spark in its eyes.

A couple of hours later baby chick had strengthened enough to gain appropriate airspeed to launch itself from its temporary home.

My GSD promptly ate it.

Nature had its way yesterday.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I left some PVC pipes standing up in a corner for a couple of days and came back to find a starling nest.

Now these little fucknuggets stare me down whenever I come and go. Little bastards.

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The guys with 3ft telephotos and giant directional mics are *not* about enjoying nature.
View Quote
I'm one of the guys with a 3ft lens and I enjoy the shit out of nature when I'm out there looking for birds and other wildlife.

Northern Pygmy Owl by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Black Chinned Hummingbird by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Immature Bald Eagle by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I mean what the hell is that? Looking at birds through binoculars...What's the point?
View Quote

Some people like birds?

I'm not using binocs, but I do like watching my hummingbirds for example.  I saw one show up late last month and started some feeders.  Sitting in the back yard watching birds coming in to sip at sugar water is rather relaxing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I enjoy watching them cup up in the decoys.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The guys with 3ft telephotos and giant directional mics are *not* about enjoying nature.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The reward is being out in nature away from others.

Checking birds off the list is just a plus.

My older brother has a PHD in Ornithology. He's out there "working" with that kind of equipment.

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The funny thing is that the birds are actually human watching.
View Quote

It’s a good thing that Terror Birds are extinct, because I think that they would be interested in more than just my French fries.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

How do you figure?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I left some PVC pipes standing up in a corner for a couple of days and came back to find a starling nest.

Now these little fucknuggets stare me down whenever I come and go. Little bastards.

https://i.imgur.com/QWivQ6u.jpg
View Quote

Cute little fucknuggets
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Birds are cool.

The fun of bird watching has to do with getting a glimpse of something rare or something you've never seen before.  Plus, their behaviors are interestingto watch
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I sit out back and smoke on my patio. We have fed the birds here for 20 years. Happy to do it.

Best count is 29 different types in a day. No binoculars, no effort involved. Just sitting on the patio, a cup of coffee, a cigarette.

It's a pleasant thing to watch the birds. There's your explanation.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Idk why y'all aren't more into it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I had an interesting looking bird come to my feeder a few winters ago. I whipped out my "Birds of NJ Field Guide" by Stan Tekiela but couldn't find it. I went to my "Peterson Field Guide Birds of Easter & Central North America" and learned it was a Yellow Bellied Sap Sucker and that they rarely come to feeders and rarely come to NJ.

I'm not a bird watcher per se, but as an outdoorsman I like to learn and known about the fauna and flora.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm no bird watcher, but when I see a bird I don't know, I try to look it up in my books (have two small books).  Never interested until I moved to Coloradostan.  So many I've never seen before.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#17]
At my place in Ohio, I had a cluster of woods along 3 fielded treelines, it was raptor heaven...they'd sit along the tall trees and swoop in for mice, vols, rabbits....Red Tails, Coopers, Kestrals. It was such a good spot that the territorial spats would erupt, and that was great watching too. Turns out, Kestrals for being little falcons barely half the size of a mature Red Tail, are not to be fucked with. Watched one kill a big male Red Tail, mid air and he fell ungracefully into my yard.

Badass little birds, I enjoyed the heck out of watching them. Owls at night are particularly fun, and bats too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#18]
1. Watching gamebirds in the offseason is a great way to learn more for when hunting season opens. It's also a way to enjoy the resource when you cant2 hunt.

2. Nongame species can be fun to try and find. I drove 3 hours to Necedah,WI last week to see whooping cranes. Beautiful, and the total population is currently between 826 and 850. Last year's numbers were 826, some of those have young this year.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I hunt waterfowl.  I watch WAAAAAAYYYYY more birds than I shoot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Birds are cool.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#21]
From my limited exposure to it I can tell you that just like every other hobby or interest, it has it’s own share of asshole self-appointed experts and snobs. People, man.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Alex I will take bird watching for $500. Who was a world renowned ornithologist ?

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

I enjoy the shit out of watching them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I mean what the hell is that? Looking at birds through binoculars...What's the point?
View Quote

Sounds like you're thinking of a movie.... If you live in the country. Birds are just friendly. Once they see you're ignoring them they really become bold.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#26]
some people get turned on by feet, others get turned on by watching birds fuck from afar. Different strokes i suppose
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I live near a place named Middle Creek Wildlife Management. It get tons of snow geese and poeple come from all over the east coast to watch. Last time I went it was so full you could barely drive down the road. If it wasn't 15 minutes from my house I would not go.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
some people get turned on by feet, others get turned on by watching birds fuck from afar. Different strokes i suppose
View Quote

Got this picture last year.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 1:49:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Another OP asks a dumb question and doesn't respond.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:05:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I enjoy watching birds in my yard more than watching daytime TV, that's for sure.

I killed all the feral cats, squirrels, and coons in my yard - so I now have an enormous variety of birds for the first time in years.  It's become a bird sanctuary, actually.

Watched a family of cardinals at the feeder yesterday.  The male fed both the female and his young.  Pretty neat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Had a hawk hanging around the back yard, so we put a chicken leg out on the deck rail to see what he'd do. Tried it a couple of times and got some nice pics. Note the chicken leg in the second pic.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:16:45 AM EDT
[#32]
I once saw a Mississippi Kite hovering in the evening sun at 50x power through a 5" Schmidtt Cassegrain scope.  It was magnificent.  Could see his eyes searching the ground for prey.  Then a Northern Harrier dove into view and made that piercing Hawk shriek.  They battled in mid air, locked talons and twisted and fell towards the ground.  They broke off and flew separate ways.

I saw a huge flock of Sandhill cranes all start squawking on the ground suddendly take flight.  They are huge birds that fly with their necks fully extended and looked like teradactyls.  They banked in unison and flew into the setting sun.  

I was sitting on my back porch with Grey Tom beside me watching humming birds, when one flew right at old Grey Tom who swatted it with one paw and ate the whole thing in three bites.  Beak went down last.  I expected him to burp loudly, but he's a cat, so he didn't.

I saw an underwater snake attack a fish and swallow it through Nikon Premiers at close range.

I saw a Great Horned Owl in a tree with two babies.  They blinked at the same time.  They have huge eyes with a small beak between and when they blink, you see that their eyelids have a feathered texture just like the rest of them.

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:22:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anybody seen an ivory billed woodpecker?
View Quote

I've see lots of pileated woodpeckers that people think are ivory billed.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:24:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Na I don't really get it but to each their own.

I did enjoy watching a wild hawk hunting while at work one day. He absolutely annihilated a field mouse with laser guided precision.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:27:16 AM EDT
[#35]
i ENJOY BIRDING
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:29:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:39:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/QWivQ6u.jpg
View Quote

Aren't those barn swallows?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:45:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Na I don't really get it but to each their own.

I did enjoy watching a wild hawk hunting while at work one day. He absolutely annihilated a field mouse with laser guided precision.
View Quote

We have Sharpshinned and Cooper's hawks that will take a Blue Jay out in mid-flight.  Hawk comes in at a 45 degree angle, and drives the Jay to the ground.  He then rips the Jay to bite sized shreds.  Saw that once while bird watching.  Pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:45:41 AM EDT
[#39]
One reason, though OP is not gonna respond.

A Curve-Billed Thrasher Sings His Song

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 3:32:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I guess I see your point, a nice ass is rarer than a Light-footed Clapper Rail in summer plumage.
View Quote

totally untrue.  OP every nature lover has thier favorites I like trigger fish,king fishers ELK, & Kudu. i GET VERY EXCITED WHEN i SEE THEM IN THE WILD.  

IT IS LIKE GOING TO A GUN SHOW AND FINDING A h&k P7 FOR $500 THE RUSH IS SIMILIAR.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 3:58:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

totally untrue.  OP every nature lover has thier favorites I like trigger fish,king fishers ELK, & Kudu. i GET VERY EXCITED WHEN i SEE THEM IN THE WILD.  

IT IS LIKE GOING TO A GUN SHOW AND FINDING A h&k P7 FOR $500 THE RUSH IS SIMILIAR.
View Quote
Ya but instead of being cool and fun like the gun show.its gay
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top