Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/15/2021 12:32:40 PM EDT

The article reads like parody from the Babylon Bee:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-11/the-dangerous-rise-of-the-supersized-pickup-truck?utm_source=pocket-newtab  (Link left cold).

Since 1990, U.S. pickup trucks have added almost 1,300 pounds on average. Some of the biggest vehicles on the market now weigh almost 7,000 pounds — or about three Honda Civics. These vehicles have a voracious appetite for space, one that’s increasingly irreconcilable with the way cities (and garages, and parking lots) are built.

Styling trends are almost as alarming. Pickup truck front ends have warped into scowling brick walls, billboards for outwardly directed hostility. “The goal of modern truck grilles,” wrote Jalopnik’s Jason Torchinsky in 2018, “seems to be… about creating a massive, brutal face of rage and intimidation.”

Giant, furious trucks are more than just a polarizing consumer choice: Large pickups and SUVs are notably more lethal to other road users, and their conquest of U.S. roads has been accompanied by a spike in fatalities among pedestrians and bicyclists. As I wrote in my 2020 book Right of Way: Race, Class, and the Silent Epidemic of Pedestrian Deaths in America, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the Detroit Free Press have pointed to the rise in SUVs and large pickups as the main culprit in the pedestrian mortality surge.

The fact that supersized pickup trucks were often deployed as political props (and weapons) during the Trump era did not escape the notice of scholars like Cara Daggett, a professor of political science at Virginia Tech. In a widely shared 2018 journal article, Daggett coined the term “petro-masculinity” to describe flamboyant expressions of fossil fuel use by men (and some women as well, but mostly men) as a reaction against social progress. To these drivers, “the affront of global warming or environmental regulations appear as insurgents on par with the dangers posed by feminists and queer movements seeking to leach energy and power from the state/traditional family,” she wrote.

Petro-masculinity helps explain not only these vehicles’ confrontational styling, but the often equally belligerent way in which they are operated.
View Quote

It just goes on and on...

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If sucking dick was a professional sport, the author of that article would be a team captain would have led his team to 5 or 6 national championships.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]
They seem to ignore the Hispanic petro-patriarchs in their assessment.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I bet at some point the author says big trucks  are misogynistic because the gender wage gap means women only get paid enough to afford small cars that don’t survive crashes with bro dozers.

Amirite?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I know you linked it to Bloomburg, but there's no way that's not a Babylon Bee article
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Pathetic what so many in this country are becoming.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Laughs in Ram 3500 mega cab
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bet at some point the author says big trucks  are misogynistic because the gender wage gap means women only get paid enough to afford small cars that don’t survive crashes with bro dozers.

Amirite?
View Quote

That's a Bingo!
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]
"urge to F250 on 37's rises"
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#9]
It's crazy that people get paid for coming up with such nonsense.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Petro-masculinity.

In other news guys like cars and the cars and trucks guys like will be different than the cars and trucks women like.

V8S ARE TOXIC PETRO-MASCULINITY WE NEED 3 CYLINDERS NOW
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#11]
If trucks with v8s are Petro-masculine, the Veyron must constantly be seeking out women to rape.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I just knew that this was penned by a white woman

Here is the confirm

PS here is the link  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-11/the-dangerous-rise-of-the-supersized-pickup-truck?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Seriously .. dont know why people are afraid of HTTP referrer address. wierd

*shrug*

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just knew that this was penned by an unattractive white woman

View Quote

FIFY

It is as constant as time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#14]
A tesla model x is about 5500 lbs but I'm sure that's really forward thinking and intelligent in every way if you asked the author of that article.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Yet women love vehicles like the Toyota Sequoia and other full sized SUVs because it gives them visibility while the mass of the vehicle helps protect their crotch fruit.

Authors are typical cunts.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Your truck raped me with it's toxic masculine towing capacity.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#18]
"Added 1,300 lbs since 1990".

Yeah, the manufacturers do this because they want to. Has nothing to do with the huge (and growing) list of government mandates they are forced to comply with.

Bet a 2021 Honda Civic weighs over 1,000 lbs more then a 1990 Civic too, and is markedly larger to boot.

This sounds like blathering from the "expert class". For many of them (lifelong urbanites), the idea of personal transportation is baffling, much less owning a pickup truck.
These are the same idiots who advocate for "walkable" urban areas free of cars and then wonder why it costs so much for them to get work done in their apartments or things delivered.

When I have to park 6 blocks away and hump all my shit in to your building, someone is paying me for my time.

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Here is the confirm

https://usa.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2020/08/Angie-Schmitt-headshot.jpg

PS here is the link  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-11/the-dangerous-rise-of-the-supersized-pickup-truck?utm_source=pocket-newtab

*shrug*

View Quote

Be funny as shit to take her muddin, rock crawling or blasting through the desert at 70+ in a prerunner.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#20]
This sounds like blathering from the "expert class".
View Quote

The only thing the expert class excels at is screeching “STOP LIKING WHAT I DON’T LIKE!!!!”
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#21]
She's SADLY misinformed if she thinks my truck is what she should be afraid of.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh Jesus fucking tap dancing Christ!

What the fuck is this shit  ?

Sounds like "new speak" drivel prepared from the sierra club rep and Harvard professors that don't know jack shit about anything useful in life.

All this is from feelings!

All i got to say is fuck your feelings and move your slow ass out of my way!

I got old dead dinosaurs i want to burn off in a fashionable hurry!

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If trucks with v8s are Petro-masculine, the Veyron must constantly be seeking out women to rape.
View Quote

Just like how the mustang is a indiscriminate murder machine.

The V16 Bugatti's, are SuperStraight Rape machines.

But only the hotties, no fatties for Bugatti's!
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Fucking clown world.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I think we can all agree on that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Idiots
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Put her and her nephew in front of a circa 1985 Army Five ton wrecker. she'd shit herself blind. saw a Korean kid, 8yo, run out in front of one in Sanyu-Ri. bumper turned his head into pulp.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#29]
She’s just mad that men who drive huge trucks prefer the company of other men rather than her.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#30]
"Petro-masculinity"?

Did she just assume my truck's gender?

What if my truck self-identifies and a black lesbian Tesla?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
She’s just mad that men who drive huge trucks prefer the company of other men rather than her.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They seem to ignore the Hispanic petro-patriarchs in their assessment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

We’re all in this together!...
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#34]
The author isn't wrong about the styling.

Nearly every truck has a "big angry dick gon' fuck you up!" front end anymore, all are comically big for what they're doing (even 'compact' pickups are what full sizes used to be, and rapidly swell to bloated full size after a couple model year changes).  And of course everything is lifted, every last model, even though nearly all are 2WD.

A Chevy 2500 used to be considered a big truck --not huge, but big.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Why the fuck is the hood higher than the bed?
Why is the front end flat?
Why is there a sharp corner at the front of the hood?
How much fucking plastic is there around the engine bay?  Everything but the fenders is molded vinyl, anymore.

Don't get me started on how retarded the interiors have become, in order to cater to lardasses --why else would you want, let alone need, a dinner table for a center console?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Huh, I would have guessed it would have been a lack of attention (probably texting) that would be the cause of rising pedestrian deaths. Instead it’s menacing truck grills.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

city people live in their own little utopia.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nearly every truck has a "big angry dick gon' fuck you up!" front end anymore, all are comically big for what they're doing (even 'compact' pickups are what full sizes used to be, and rapidly swell to bloated full size after a couple model year changes).  And of course everything is lifted, every last model, even though nearly all are 2WD.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482171/2001-chevrolet-silverado-2500hd-3_jpg-1866599.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482171/2021ChevroletSilverado2500HD-exterior-02-1866598.JPG

How much fucking plastic is there around the engine bay?  Everything but the fenders is molded vinyl, anymore.

Don't get me started on how retarded the interiors have become, in order to cater to lardasses --why else would you want, let alone need, a dinner table for a center console?
View Quote

Because thats what people paying the money for them want.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
"Added 1,300 lbs since 1990".

Yeah, the manufacturers do this because they want to. Has nothing to do with the huge (and growing) list of government mandates they are forced to comply with.

Bet a 2021 Honda Civic weighs over 1,000 lbs more then a 1990 Civic too, and is markedly larger to boot.

This sounds like blathering from the "expert class". For many of them (lifelong urbanites), the idea of personal transportation is baffling, much less owning a pickup truck.
These are the same idiots who advocate for "walkable" urban areas free of cars and then wonder why it costs so much for them to get work done in their apartments or things delivered.

When I have to park 6 blocks away and hump all my shit in to your building, someone is paying me for my time.

View Quote

An XJ Cherokee is smaller than a new civic.  All the government mandates mean they have to have space for it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#39]
F that beotch.

Pardon me while I go back to basking in my petro-maculinity...
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Amirite?
View Quote

Kinda. Basically toxic masculinity is causing men, especially the white super straight ones, to buy larger vehicles. Not only are they large, the front end designs such as the grills, are very menacing. Anyhow, women buy smaller vehicles and suffer more injuries than men do in accidents. There was nothing in the article that spoke on the physiological differences between the two sexes or the types of vehicles involved in the accidents that the women had.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#41]
ETA:  Beat to the Mustang joke.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I thought there was a ban or restriction on small pickups, these last few years?

Doesn't that make big pickups a byproduct of .gov meddling anyway?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Nothing new..

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But to be fair the mustangs do like plowing into crowds
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482171/2001-chevrolet-silverado-2500hd-3_jpg-1866599.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482171/2021ChevroletSilverado2500HD-exterior-02-1866598.JPG

View Quote

Because they look nice.

Interiors are fantastic for people like me that spend a ton of time sitting in them working.

But i know, stop liking what I don’t like.

Pretty cool that you don’t have to buy one right?

Especially a Chevy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol beat
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Here is the confirm

https://usa.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2020/08/Angie-Schmitt-headshot.jpg

PS here is the link  

*shrug*

View Quote

Darn those fellow white people.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm not a fan of super large trucks, in that I don't want one.  

My favorite truck is the 1967 to 1972 Chevy era and if I could, that's all I'd drive.  

I also like the smaller Ford Rangers and light import trucks like a 2wd Mazda manual (manual for everything frankly).

That said, the Left is intimidated by everything and will use everything to gain power over others.  I'm sure she's also scared of tractor-trailers and doesn't like to be around those either.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I shake my head at what this country has become.....

After they ban guns, they'll ban pickup trucks.  Do it for the children pedestrians.

And to counterpoint the article, I have a friend who owes the lives of himself and his wife to driving a Chevy Silverado.  They were hit head on by a full size car that crossed the median, with both vehicles doing 55+.  Both him and his wife suffered significant injuries they are still trying to recover from a year later.  From the pictures I saw, if they were driving a Honda Civic, they would have been dead.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Petro-masculinity, I love it

I now identify as petrosexual.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top