User Panel

Page / 125
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pault:
So, I’m a poors by Arfcom standards. Retired carpenter, need a car to drive daily, want a convertible and was hoping for something fun to drive. Since I was a kid I’ve loved 911s. I’m wondering if I can maybe get one without sacrificing my families food budget lol. If you guys can give me some real info on something I can get that won’t break the bank it would be appreciated
I’ve been looking at 911 Carrera S cabriolets ? Is this my best budget option ?
Anyone else have limited funds but was able to get a 911.
Oh, I’m mechanically challenged on top of everything
I prefer 45 to 9mm, beans in my chili, I can take a full power shot from Squatdog
View Quote

There's always the 996/997, just make sure it comes with paperwork and get a PPI.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 6:39:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#5]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Great info, thanks ! So if you had $50k and wanted your first 911, what would you choose ?
View Quote

I would not buy a 911 if all I had was 50K. I would get the best Boxter I could.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:05:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: neshomamench] [#10]
Originally Posted By D_J:

Personal opinion, but I wouldn’t buy a boxster at all, and would only buy a Cayman if similar year/features was half the 911 price.
View Quote

Fair enough. I concede, I am not a Porsche expert. I have tha ability to by what I want (and have a Turbo S and other silly cars) so perhaps my thoughts on buying on a budget is not the best advice.

There are a lot of people that know a lot more about the Porsche product line than I do.

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#11]
What is a 997.1 ? Not a 911 ? What is a PPI ?
View Quote

Bore scoring in m97 engines is real.  I wouldn’t buy one with out paying to have the oil sump removed and inspected from the bottom.  The design is questionable , super thin coating on piston that wears and leads to failure.

Ims bearing is mitigated in specific years but scored bores are well documented.  Fsi has videos detailing why it happens.  Great cars, just know the risk.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 1:53:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: neshomamench] [#13]

I was just pointing out how much I prefer the 911, not saying it’s objectively twice as good.

View Quote

I have a few coins to rub together....but the richest guy in town (best jet at the airport level guy, not FU money...F EVERONE money, again, the "best jet" level) has a brand new GT4 RS Cayman....to replace his 5 year old GTS RS..... (and this is a guy with 7 figures in "various other cars." )  

I am a tuner car guy ( old school drag racer that made money so still wants the cars that turn a number on the 1320....so ultra high HP tuner cars....but my friends that know how to take a turn, love the caymans).

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 2:07:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By neshomamench:

I have a few coins to rub together....but the richest guy in town (best jet at the airport level guy, not FU money...F EVERONE money, again, the "best jet" level) has a brand new GT4 RS Cayman....to replace his 5 year old GTS RS..... (and this is a guy with 7 figures in "various other cars." )  

I am a tuner car guy ( old school drag racer that made money so still wants the cars that turn a number on the 1320....so ultra high HP tuner cars....but my friends that know how to take a turn, love the caymans).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I was just pointing out how much I prefer the 911, not saying it’s objectively twice as good.

I am hardly a Porsche expert. But many of them love the Caymans. That mid-engine! And the 4 liter NA flat 6. I heard so much good about them I took the dive. Stuttgart now has my build for a 2025 718 Cayman GTS 4.0. Due for the Port of San Diego in Jan 2025. Can't wait!
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 2:16:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: neshomamench] [#15]
Originally Posted By Consigli:

I am hardly a Porsche expert. But many of them love the Caymans. That mid-engine! And the 4 liter NA flat 6. I heard so much good about them I took the dive. Stuttgart now has my build for a 2025 718 Cayman GTS 4.0. Due for the Port of San Diego in Jan 2025. Can't wait!
View Quote

Yeah, they are pretty wicked.

I drive a Turbo S more than anything else but have some 8 second "with the AC on, drive cross country" tuner shit as well.  Sure, my Turbo S is slow next to them, but overall it is a better car in most every way.  If I had a clue how to take a turn, I might look at the Caymans as well (again, like some folks that do know how to take a turn)

I think 911 people get a little pissy about the 718 guys.  I am not the right person to fight that fight, becauae I am not a road course hero.

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 2:26:32 AM EDT
[#16]

I drive a Turbo S more than anything else but have some 8 second "with the AC on, drive cross country" tuner shit as well.  Sure, my Turbo S is slow next to them, but overall it is a better car in most every way.  If I had a clue how to take a turn, I might look at the Caymans as well (again, like some folks that do know how to take a turn)

I think 911 people get a little pissy about the 718 guys.  I am not the right person to fight that fight, becauae I am not a road course hero.

View Quote

I’m a circuit track guy, and they’re both amazing cars. The only reason I went 992 911S was back seat for my younger boy, they’re a tad more comfortable, and you can tune the shit out of the 3.0 TT flat6 in the 911….Unfortunately the 4.0 N/A Cayman doesn’t tune as well.

As others have mentioned, I’d recommend a 997 911 Cab as well. I’m not a cab fan, but to each their own.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 2:34:58 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

I'm not skilled enough to drive the 718 GTS 4.0 even close to its capability, but the wife and I can still have fun in it. I'll add a 991.1 S to my garage once I find a good used one. That should be plenty fun too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 2:59:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Surf] [#18]

View Quote

The electric ones are coming.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 4:39:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Three pedal 6cyl Caymans are fucking fantastic cars. Do not hesitate.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 7:25:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#22]

In our exotic car group, there are more GT3 RS than any other model. That said, one guy traded his 991 GT3 a couple of years ago and traded his 991 GT3 RS last year and now has a Deman GT4 and a GT4 RS (not to mention his 600LT, GT500, 997 GT3 RS 4.0, and several others in forgetting).
View Quote

GTS 4.0 Cayman is a beast IMO.  

(Or maybe that is the GT4, don’t know the nomenclature)

Alas I will never own one
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Personal opinion, but I wouldn’t buy a boxster at all, and would only buy a Cayman if similar year/features was half the 911 price.
View Quote

In 2012 I was living in Nevada and totaled my car, a Boxster was on my list.  I drove a 2006 model.  I think the owner was asking $26K….

I thought it was a fabulous driver’s car, very well balanced.  It was an S so it had enough oomph to get out of its own way, it was my first boxster engine experience and somehow Porsche made it sound nice instead of shitty like every Subaru.

I didn’t end up buying it.  Too many worries about maintenance and possible IMS failure.  There was no more warranty.

I also get the stigma that it’s a “girl’s Porsche for poor people” and these days I wouldn’t care but I was younger then and did, even though it was a great car.

I ended up with a new Mustang GT from the local dealer.  The Coyote motor was still pretty new and it was not a whole lot more money.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 7:39:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Braptor] [#24]
No advertising in the forums, sorry.

I just said let me know if anyone is interested in it - for picture purposes - didn't say I was selling it ;)
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Radian:

Bore scoring in m97 engines is real.  I wouldn’t buy one with out paying to have the oil sump removed and inspected from the bottom.  The design is questionable , super thin coating on piston that wears and leads to failure.

Ims bearing is mitigated in specific years but scored bores are well documented.  Fsi has videos detailing why it happens.  Great cars, just know the risk.
View Quote

I was a Porsche Master tech for over 20 years.
I have seen with my eyes 1000s of failed Ims .
In 2006-2010 we kept engines in stock and I was changing 3+ a week.   There were 20 guys in the shop and I wasn't the only guy changing engines..

Any 911 with a 3.6  996 or 997 is high risk for ims failure.  Boxster cayman I would say are high risk from 2000 -2008.
The 3.8 in the s 911  and the early 3.4  cars had a almost 0 ims failure rate.
But 3.4s have head issues.

Bore score is a neat thing.  The internet loves to talk about it.   Based on my experience, which is north of 20000 Porsches though my bay, and ignoring the 100k or more that the guy next to me had id tell you it's statisticly 0.
I've seen lots of cars that had marking in the cylinders but no compression loss, no smoke, no issues and live 100k+ more miles with no issue.
Cars with actual issues from borescoring, I ve seen less then 10.
Of those 10 half were 2005 997 s that on disassemble the bores weren't scored as much as shaped like 0 instead of o  and the walls were destroyed.
Low mile cars that likely had a Bore issue from factory.

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Boxsters are great cars. I’m just not a convertible or sunroof guy.
View Quote

That plays into it as well.

Today I’d buy a Cayman, I don’t like convertibles for a number of reasons.

I do like the removable top on my Gladiator though
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:40:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mblades] [#28]

I would not buy a 911 if all I had was 50K. I would get the best Boxter I could.

View All Quotes

Great info, thanks ! So if you had $50k and wanted your first 911, what would you choose ?

This isn’t bad advice. Your money will go a lot longer in the Boxster world and you’ll still get a kick ass driving experience.

All that being said I bought the cheapest air cooled 911 in the country and flew out to drive it home. 8 years and 20,000mi later I have no ragrets.
So you can absolutely get into a 911 for 50k especially if you want a convertible, they are 10-20% cheaper than coupes.

He specifically wants a convertible
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Danted:

In 2006-2010 we kept engines in stock and I was changing 3+ a week.   There were 20 guys in the shop and I wasn't the only guy changing engines..

Any 911 with a 3.6  996 or 997 is high risk for ims failure.  Boxster cayman I would say are high risk from 2000 -2008.

Bore score is a neat thing.  The internet loves to talk about it.   Based on my experience, which is north of 20000 Porsches though my bay, and ignoring the 100k or more that the guy next to me had id tell you it's statisticly 0.
I've seen lots of cars that had marking in the cylinders but no compression loss, no smoke, no issues and live 100k+ more miles with no issue.
Of those 10 half were 2005 997 s that on disassemble the bores weren't scored as much as shaped like 0 instead of o  and the walls were destroyed.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Danted:
Originally Posted By Radian:

As a guy who loved a 997.1 enough to replace a failed scored engine with a FSI motor I'm saying it's worth doing the PPI to check.   Getting the DME report and bore inspected is just a required part of purchasing a 996/997.  

If your that guy writing the check isn't fun.  There is no factory long block, your options are limited and expensive.  The smart play is to find one that's had then engine replaced and buy that one, after a ppi of course.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

All 3.8 M9X have piston metallurgy that warrants careful checking.  there is a coating on the piston, a few thousandths thick that when wear off leads to catastrophic failure.  google rennvision bore scoring for information, they go through full teardown.  you can make your own decision.  

Personally anything with DME 4 (abusive mechanical overrev) and over and any scoring is a no go.   Unless its been rebuild using an engine that doesn't have that risk factor.   I had a 3.8 with scoring so can't speak to the 3.6.  I do know the turbo and gt cars didn't have the issue.  

For ANY porsche outside of CPO with full warranty a PPI is a must.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

From ims yes 100%  From bore score no, in south FL Bore score is a non issue.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:35:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: whiplash10] [#34]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

Porsche and options.

It's like PB&J.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

Porsche and options.

It's like PB&J.

Very true!  

Are we still talking about convertibles?

Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:I also get the stigma that it’s a “girl’s Porsche for poor people” and these days I wouldn’t care but I was younger then and did, even though it was a great car.

The early models could fit that trope.  I think with the 981 GT4 and 718 GT4/Spyder/4L and RS models...that has been washed away.  Porsche rummaging around in the GT parts bin has a way of doing that.  A lot of 911 guys also have a GT4/RS or something similar in their garage.  Hell, the 992 911 S   order I backed out of was basically the same $$ that my Spyder cost.  It'll never be a 911, but with the sub-GTS models becoming more and more the grand tourer, it could be argued that the peasant mid engine stuff could be a more 'fun' weekend car.

Either way, 911 will always be king.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Nice.  Tell us about the build.  Manual?  My T is at the port waiting for a ride to the US.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By WWolfe:

Nice.  Tell us about the build.  Manual?  My T is at the port waiting for a ride to the US.
View Quote

Pretty plain, manual gear box with the 360 camera and the LCA.  I did add a couple of small items like heated GT wheel, fire extinguisher and of course the wheels.  No leather, it does have back seats.  If I did it again I’d drop the LCA deal and the wheels which are a pain to keep clean.  
When is your delivery date?  Mine was Jan 8th 2024 and it came in on the 6th or 7th from memory.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 6172crew:

Pretty plain, manual gear box with the 360 camera and the LCA.  I did add a couple of small items like heated GT wheel, fire extinguisher and of course the wheels.  No leather, it does have back seats.  If I did it again I’d drop the LCA deal and the wheels which are a pain to keep clean.  
When is your delivery date?  Mine was Jan 8th 2024 and it came in on the 6th or 7th from memory.
View Quote

"plain" is perfect when it comes to the T, IMO.

Mine is projected to arrive at the dealer at the end of August.  So far, it's been right on target with their tracking updates.  I splurged on the Aerokit, but tried to keep it somewhat plain as well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 3:51:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiplash10] [#39]
Originally Posted By WWolfe:

"plain" is perfect when it comes to the T, IMO.

Mine is projected to arrive at the dealer at the end of August.  So far, it's been right on target with their tracking updates.  I splurged on the Aerokit, but tried to keep it somewhat plain as well.
View Quote

Aerokit is worth it for sure, I was debating on that or an aftermarket duckbill when I was ordering my 992!
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Thought this was interesting Audrain Auto Museum in Newport RI created their own paint color for a PTS 2023 911 GT3
https://www.audrainautomuseum.org/colors-the-cars-of-summer
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#41]
2025 Porsche 911 992.2 | Driving the Wheels Off

New Porsches including THE HYBRID.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#42]
First time I’ve seen a Yellow GT3 and I’ll have to say, it looks amazing. This one is a track car and gets abused, looks great with tire debris down the side.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 12:06:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I haven’t posted about it yet, but my RS is getting a makeover. The original ppf was 5 years old and starting to fail in a couple of areas, so rather than replace it all and then try to get my original graphics package reprinted, I had a custom wrap designed and installed. It should be done Friday or early next week and I hope it turns out well.

Here’s a couple of sneak previews.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174335/IMG_0986-3275383.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174335/IMG_0987-3275384.jpg
View Quote

I went with white incase I wanted to do a Rothmans wrap or whatever.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I haven’t posted about it yet, but my RS is getting a makeover. The original ppf was 5 years old and starting to fail in a couple of areas, so rather than replace it all and then try to get my original graphics package reprinted, I had a custom wrap designed and installed. It should be done Friday or early next week and I hope it turns out well.

Here’s a couple of sneak previews.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174335/IMG_0986-3275383.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174335/IMG_0987-3275384.jpg
View Quote

Super interested in this. I need to redo my PPF.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 125
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top