Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The first time I stayed at a swanky hotel in Sweden, my Swedish co-worker said they have a huge breakfast buffet, let's meet in the dining room in the morning....  

Breakfast is my favorite meal, I would be happy eating breakfast 3 times a day... I went to bed with visions of sausage, bacon, pancakes, grits, waffles, fried eggs, etc dancing in my head...

When I walked into the dining room the next morning, it smelled like low tide...   The buffet had rotten fish on it... I'm not exaggerating, 3 different kinds of fish in various stages of decomposition.   Which I guess goes well with sour milk because they had a half a dozen different kinds of sour milk.

No bacon or sausage to be found.   They did have eggs.... not chicken eggs though, fish roe.
View Quote
Was it fermented or just shit? I've heard the horror stories of surstromming, but they do eat it. I'd give it a shot but I heard it's an acquired taste.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Smoked salmon, fried fish roe (eggs), kippers are all very common. Land locked places, not so much.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Grits and Grunts
View Quote

Came here to post this.  Splash some Old Sour on it and wash it down with an ice cold IPA.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Because fish aren’t made out of bacon or sausage.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing like trout cooked in butter for a morning start.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:31:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The first time I stayed at a swanky hotel in Sweden, my Swedish co-worker said they have a huge breakfast buffet, let's meet in the dining room in the morning....  

Breakfast is my favorite meal, I would be happy eating breakfast 3 times a day... I went to bed with visions of sausage, bacon, pancakes, grits, waffles, fried eggs, etc dancing in my head...

When I walked into the dining room the next morning, it smelled like low tide...   The buffet had rotten fish on it... I'm not exaggerating, 3 different kinds of fish in various stages of decomposition.   Which I guess goes well with sour milk because they had a half a dozen different kinds of sour milk.

No bacon or sausage to be found.   They did have eggs.... not chicken eggs though, fish roe.
View Quote

I think that would induce me into extreme rage.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I love heading to the lake at dawn, catching a mess of bluegills, heading home and frying them up with a side of grits.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:44:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:48:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Classic New England breakfast is finnan haddie,  Creamed smoked haddock served over cornbread with a side of scrambled eggs.

McDonalds in Singapore had Filet-O-Fish on breakfast menu
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I often put squid in my breakfast scramble.  
Kale, onion and a couple of pork in as well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Because they don't make fish bacon?
View Quote

They don't?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:17:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Ham, bacon, sausage, pork chops, not fish.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Smoked salmon in scrambled eggs is awesome.
View Quote

Toasted bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, thinly sliced Bermuda onion, and capers.

I think I'll go make that right now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Note to self:  Do NOT drink a gallon of milk (or whatever that stuff was) before umpiring a baseball game.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I was initiated to breakfast fish when my hotel in England served smoked fish and baked beans for breakfast.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Smoked Salmon for breakfast is very much a thing. Just not very much an American thing. I love it.

I was in Jamaica once with a massive hangover, and one of the breakfast items was something like spicy greens and fish.
It was amazing, and my hangover all but disappeared.
View Quote

Replacing a hang over with the screaming shits is not an improvement
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#20]
kippers and eggs
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#21]
It is in Norway.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I ate brook trout for breakfast damn near every day during the summer as a kid. My Grandpa was an old game violator  from the Upper Peninsula. He could not conceive of game laws. Especially fish...they were in his damn stream and we were going to eat them. We would set up lines on cedar branches every night, and go collect the trout in the morning. Like a trapline. Brook trout and eggs brings back some awesome memories.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I lived right next to a 1st class trout stream for many years. I mean right next to, 15 ft behind my back door. I had fresh trout and eggs for breakfast every morning... well, except for the days I went without cuz I suck at casting a fly in the rain and snow. Then I moved to a lake where I had to walk 50 yards down a path to get to the water. Then it was panfish and eggs. Year round cuz ice fishing rocks. These days all the trout I can get to are stocked and taste like catfood, although the cat won't even eat it so I don't fish for them. The panfish are still good, I like the perch best... with or without eggs. We also make pickerel patties that are great with eggs. Kinda like sausage patties with eggs but better.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Smoked Salmon for breakfast is very much a thing. Just not very much an American thing. I love it.

I was in Jamaica once with a massive hangover, and one of the breakfast items was something like spicy greens and fish.
It was amazing, and my hangover all but disappeared.
View Quote

Vomiting after a big night of drinking always made me feel better too.

ETA: Pig for breakfast; seafood the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Ummm pretty traditional fresh trout and eggs breakfast when trout season opens up.

bagels with smoked salmon are also a grand treat.

crab cake eggs  Benedict.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Because we beat the British, there's no more need to eat kippers or blood sausage?

Granted, I swear I'm the only white guy south of Macon who misses salt mullet and cheese grits for breakfast at grandmama's house.
View Quote

meh, had blood sausage the other day.

Now haggis and scrapple are not on my want lists.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Smoked salmon eggs benedict is tits.

Keto version,

Trout and eggs is awesome too.

Some of y'all are just fuckin' anal.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#28]
My grandma would occasionally fry fish for breakfast.  I remember eating it and not really wondering about it much one way or the other.

On the other hand, my mom wouldn't think of fried fish for breakfast.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I eat fish regularly for breakfast, what are you talking about OP?

Lox/Salmon

Kippers

Salmon and onions in scrambled eggs.

Crab cake on half a bagel.

Find a good British cookbook, and yes the Brits can cook.

https://dishonfish.com/our-10-favorite-seafood-breakfast-recipes-roundup/
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Gravlox is freaking great for breakfast. I am making 2lb myself once or twice a month.

Whitefish salad is great for breakfast. Shrimp butter. All kind of different caviar spreads.

There are plenty of good fish breakfast variants.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#31]
McDonalds don't serve the fillet of fish in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Lutefisk and cheese on toast sounds gross, smells gross, and tastes gross.

LOX on a bagel is good but I'd rather have eggs, bacon, sausage, or ham and hash browns.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I love this thread. Nice question OP and some interesting answers
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#34]
My question is this:

Why is fish incorporated in dishes at all, if starvation is not the issue?  Foul smelling piss marinated meat substitute and/or foul smelling piss marinated aquatic bugs can fuck right off when I have access to products from four-legged animals.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Bacon and eggs, sausages for my every fucking day, fish is not a breakfast staple, fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#36]
I always chop left over salmon in my eggs.....I do one complete egg, two egg whites, mushrooms, green onions and scramble this....it is good on toast or in a pita bread pocket

Sometimes I will add cheese....

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Get up early on a camping trip to catch a couple trout.  Brook trout, eggs, and bacon all in the same skillet over a fire is as good as it gets.
View Quote

This is the truth, now I am hungry....gotta go
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If we were supposed to eat fish in the morning, God would have never given us bacon.
View Quote

Try wraping your salmon in bacon....as my my good friend would say, will make you lick your ass the next day for a second taste
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Because it would be fucking gross?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#40]
I had a shrimp and crab omelette once that was the bomb.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#41]
You guys live sheltered lives.

Lobster omelettes anf Hake hash are my favorites
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Because fish isn’t bacon. That’s why.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#43]
kippers
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You are aware that poeple have been salting or smoking fish for thousands of years?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tradition.

Before refrigeration, people ate the fresh fish they caught that day and people weren’t fishing before breakfast.

Breakfast meat were cured meats like bacon, ham and sausage that could be stored.

You are aware that poeple have been salting or smoking fish for thousands of years?

When I was a kid, we had salt cured fish for breakfast occasionally. I don't know what kind of fish it was, we just called it salt fish.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#45]
It depends on the region.  
I see smoked salmon or lox with cream cheese on bagels in my a/o.
Rice porridge with a type of white fish in it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#46]
I do.   Eat what ya like. Whenever ya like.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Lobster, Crab, and Smoked Salmon are all great as Benedict style breakfasts with some hollandaise.  Smoked Salmon is good on bagels too, maybe with some cream cheese and capers?

Then in the southern fashion you have lots of seafood that could go with grits too.  

Going up north on fishing trips I’ve had fried and grilled fish for breakfast before.  It’s kind of a lot of work though for early in the morning, easier just to do some bacon and eggs or something.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Because it would be fucking gross?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Smoked salmon and eggs is pretty classic for breakfast.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Because fish is disgusting, especially in the morning.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top