Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2021 7:48:22 AM EDT
Should make the process to order wheels and tires from Discount Tire easier but Tire Rack usually has lower prices.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/discount-tire-to-acquire-tire-rack-and-merge-operations-creating-leading-omnichannel-tire-buying-experience-301437357.html
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Considering how Tire Rack was awesome, I assume this is going to be bad news for consumers.  

Seems the lowest common denominator rule always holds true.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Considering how Tire Rack was awesome, I assume this is going to be bad news for consumers.  

View Quote

It will. Almost nothing good ever happens when a company buys a better company.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:53:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hope you're wrong.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I hope you're wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you're wrong.

I hope so too, but he's not wrong.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Tire Rack was great!
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#6]
My last two sets of tires by the time I had them mounted and balanced, I could not get a better deal with tire rack. Discount was the better deal for the same tire. I have gotten deals from tire rack where a certain line was being discontinued and they had them marked way down, that was tough to beat.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Used Discount Tire for my last set of tires (online ordering and brick and mortar for install), and had a great experience. Previously was a Tire Rack guy, but came recommended from a friend who's used Discount a bunch of times with no problems.

But yea, competition be good, and shame that there will be one less choice in the market.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I have bought our tires from Discount Tire Direct for years and have never had a problem.

Although there was that one time I ordered and paid for four tires and they delivered twelve.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have bought our tires from Discount Tire Direct for years and have never had a problem.

Although there was that one time I ordered and paid for four tires and they delivered twelve.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

If GD knew who actually owned them.....
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Tire Rack starts to suck in 3, 2, 1....
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Factor in shipping, & wait times, I always got a better deal at a local tire place. Not all places will install tires not bought from them either. Learned that.
Though tire rack did have decent prices on rims.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I used tire rack a few times years ago, but lately Costco has been as good, and I found recently that our local "chain" is just as good as well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought I’d use Costco for my last set, but it ended up costing the same while being two trips.

I should have used Tire Rack again… shipped straight to the shop, appointment for install… easy enough.

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#15]
We shall see how this turns out.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I had good experience with Tire Rack, though as more low price tire shops came into the marketplace the difference in their prices and that available locally shrunk.

The only experience I had with Discount tire was when they mounted directional tires in random directions.  At least they didn't complain about fixing their error.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Used Discount for years, and several purchases. Last two installations, or following a rotate/balance, I’ve had to remove a wheel to either fix a flat, or do a brake job. In both instances, I had lug nuts seize up and break off during removal from being way over-torqued.

After that, along with multiple trips back for rebalancing after tires were mounted or balanced, I said I’m done.

Went with Belle Tire for my latest purchase, and have been happy with them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#18]
We do t have the brick and mortar store here so my experience with both has been online ordering only. I had better luck with discount tire. Tire Rack could have better prices sometimes but then they added shipping whereas Discount Tire was free shipping. I ordered a set of wheels and tires from Discount and they threw in the tpms valve stems and lug nuts at no extra charge.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I have bought from tire rack in the past and they are a great organization.  I have found that discount tire will match tire rack and slightly better price sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Should make the process to order wheels and tires from Discount Tire easier but Tire Rack usually has lower prices.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/discount-tire-to-acquire-tire-rack-and-merge-operations-creating-leading-omnichannel-tire-buying-experience-301437357.html
View Quote

I find that Tire Rack has the best prices on tires until the shipping is added, then Discount Tire becomes the cheaper option.  Plus Discount seems to have more sales.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Discount periodically has Michelins that I will get next year $110 off a set of four, plus my 10% veteran discount plus I have seen an additional $60 off for online ordering.

I will compare that to Tire Rack.

Same retail price but with sale prices Discount Tire is about $190 cheaper for four.   Correction, Tire Rack has the Michelin $70 off rebate so that drops the Discount Tire advantage to about $120.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I have purchased over $20k in tires and wheels from Discount/Americas Tire in the last 20 years. They have always been the best price and always great service.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If GD knew who actually owned them.....
View Quote

My sister used to work at Discount Tire headquarters as an accountant. She said it was a great company until the son took over.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Discount has brick and mortar stores with excellent customer service, and is price competitive.

Tire rack has a better wheel selection and actual testing, with a great feedback system.

I think this might be a good merge merger, as it brings in strengths from Tire Rack that Discount lacks on top of the strengths Discount has that Tire Rack lacks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I've always been happy with my local Discount Tire stores.

I've also had good experiences with TireRack.

Greatest thing about TireRack is their testing and reviews
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Factor in shipping, & wait times, I always got a better deal at a local tire place. Not all places will install tires not bought from them either. Learned that.
Though tire rack did have decent prices on rims.
View Quote

As someone who works at a shop in Tire Racks installer program I can confirm. The other dirty little secret about Tire Rack is they won’t hesitate to sell some old tires. I’ve had a few sets come through that were 5-6 years old according to the DOT #.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A “better” company? lol

Being as you had to pay someone to mount, balance and install the tires the cost savings quickly go out the door.  Purchased from TireRack once.  Within a week, granted not TireRack’s fault, I wound up picking up a very large nail that punctured from bottom of the tread and out the side wall of the tire.  Now I had a junk tire that I had to spend another $120ish to replace.  All of this to save around $10-15/tire.  YMMV

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I've had nothing but good experiences ordering from both over the years.  Unfortunately, this merger remove the main price competitor for each which will result in higher prices for the consumer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I use both. If I need advice, I call TR. But, Discount is GTG.

Everyone else sucks.

TC
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I bought from Tire Buyer recently.  Great service and they had cheaper prices on tires.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Honestly I found tire buying to be a wash price wise.  Local place is more expensive but waived the install fee.  Tire rack cheaper per tire, but then you paid local place the install fee and shipping.

Tire Rack just made it so easy to buy the right tires.  They also have tons more options.  Don’t know how many times I wanted a particular tire only for the local guys to not have them or not carry them in the size I need.  Sometimes they can order them and have them in a week or two.  Seems any sort of tire I want in any size and tire rack will have them sitting on my front porch in 48 hrs.  

I’ve even ordered full sets of wheels, rims, tires, valve stems, mounted and balanced on a Sunday and had them delivered on Tuesday.  That’s amazing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I've bought tires from both - but Tire Rack always has a good selection of performance brake pads and rotors available. I just put Hawk pads and rotors on my 1LE Camaro - Tire Rack not only had the best price on the components, they had them in stock.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A “better” company? lol

Being as you had to pay someone to mount, balance and install the tires the cost savings quickly go out the door.  Purchased from TireRack once.  Within a week, granted not TireRack’s fault, I wound up picking up a very large nail that punctured from bottom of the tread and out the side wall of the tire.  Now I had a junk tire that I had to spend another $120ish to replace.  All of this to save around $10-15/tire.  YMMV

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A “better” company? lol

I've always bought from tire rack when I wanted a set of rims and tires, they came mounted, balanced, and boxed well so no damage. They were great with steelie take offs and snow tires for winter driving. They had great prices on them also.

The local discount tire workers all look like they smoke the wrong end of a happy cig and I've had way to many x threaded studs in the past from those monkeys. I prefer an actual torque wrench, not a torque stick that MIGHT be the right one, [or not] and hand threading until several threads in.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Got my snow tire/wheel setup (Blizzaks and steelies) from Tire Rack. No issues. Fast delivery, too.

I don’t buy tires or wheels often enough to really care, but I hope their service doesn’t go downhill.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've always bought from tire rack when I wanted a set of rims and tires, they came mounted, balanced, and boxed well so no damage. They were great with steelie take offs and snow tires for winter driving. They had great prices on them also.

The local discount tire workers all look like they smoke the wrong end of a happy cig and I've had way to many x threaded studs in the past from those monkeys. I prefer an actual torque wrench, not a torque stick that MIGHT be the right one, [or not] and hand threading until several threads in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A “better” company? lol

Granted you will have to stand there and make sure, as you would with any vendor, but Discount will do that for you if you request it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#39]
I use to love tire rack but with their shipping cost it ends up being the same price locally.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Discount tire matches tire racks prices.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:01:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A “better” company? lol

View Quote

Your order didn't come with a 2 year road hazard warranty?

I've had multiple punctures and even a bent wheel and Tire Rack replaced the tire after I sent them some pictures of the damage.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#42]
I can’t remember off hand if it’s DT or TR that has a local dist facility here in Atlanta that you get a discount off for picking up yourself which is quick and painless. I hope it doesn’t close.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Never used Discount tire but have used Tire Rack and like the option and resource for good tire info.

Tire Buyer has been great and usually cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#44]
I usually buy mine off ebay or Simpletire.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I can’t remember off hand if it’s DT or TR that has a local dist facility here in Atlanta that you get a discount off for picking up yourself which is quick and painless. I hope it doesn’t close.
View Quote

I thought TR's GA distribution warehouse was in Savannah.

Either way, it is still cheaper to have them ship than go get them for me. 3+ hour drive one way
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Sucks for car magazines.... only one 4-page ad spread per issue instead of two.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Travesty

Cooper was bought out last year by goodyear

I predict downhill
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Wheels of any type are hard to come by right now. I ordered some Motegi wheels for my Forester from Discount and they said it would be a couple of months as they were on a container.  Eventually my order was auto cancelled because it sat in their system too long. No biggie, a nice employee at my local DT store helped me find a similar style that was on land in the U.S. Had them three days after they were ordered.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Is Discount Tire the same company as the Tire Discounters stores?
View Quote

No, and Tire Discounters is good! Very good.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top