Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2022 12:32:03 AM EDT
I searched and can't believe that there was no discussion on this subject.  I've been limping along with a battery machine, but it doesn't handle drifts or damp snow.  I want a self-propelled model gas machine by next winter.  Ariens seems to have good reviews.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:40:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I get along just fine with an older MTD  5hp 2 stage thrower.    Tecumsh engine.

I'm fussy about pulling stuff apart each year and greasing stuff and oil changes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:44:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Toro with Quick stik...
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Ariens.
Don't get tracks unless you can try before you buy.
I had a tracked Honda and hated it.  
I traded it for a wheeled Ariens 1336Pro.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:47:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I am very happy with my Cub Cadet 3-stage. It eats its way through wet, heavy snow and banks that are left at the end of the driveway.
Had an Ariens before this that threw a gear box on season number 4.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#5]
There are multiple threads every year. Ariens. I have an early 70s one, it's built like a tank. Newer ones are still pretty solid.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:48:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Using my FIL's Ariens ST24 which is 20+ years old. Engine runs a little rough. I did replace the carb. Self propelled and very heavy. I get it out only 1 or 2 times each winter.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:48:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Honda Snow Blower  with track drive   I'd had one of these for 25 years now its still going strong.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a troy bilt 2410 2nd hand ( bouhgt and used once ) in 2018

Man that thing was worth the 300.00 i paid for it

Only bitch was the previous left ethanol gas in it and put it away for 3-4 years

100.00 to replace part

look at local auctions and snow blowers do come up time to time especially in estate sales
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:51:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Toro with Quick stik...
View Quote

Arfcom’s choice from when I was looking for a snowblower … has served me well!
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:52:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:55:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Ariens. Nothing is remotely close.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:56:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Ariens Platinum is the cheapest I’d go if you get real snow. Ariens used to be top tier but there’s been a lot of cost cutting over the last 10 years so I’d have to see one in person to decide if they’re still worth it.

Honda or Simplicity Pro series is what you want if you plan to passed it down to your kids and perhaps your grandkids.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:58:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had a John Deere 1128 for 23 yrs, it's a beast. I don't think JD does walk behinds anymore, too bad.

If this one ever dies, Honda will be in the garage next.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ariens two stage.
View Quote

Sounds like some kinda nah-tzee machine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've had a John Deere 1128 for 23 yrs, it's a beast. I don't think JD does walk behinds anymore, too bad.

If this one ever dies, Honda will be in the garage next.
View Quote

John Deere walk behind blowers were made by other companies for decades. Simplicity was the last manufacturer for them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:07:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ariens. Nothing is remotely close.
View Quote

You’re right. Ariens isn’t remotely close to a Simplicity Pro series.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:16:14 AM EDT
[#17]
How big is the area you need to clear. single stage is fine in most cases and you can lift it into your truck to help grandma.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I searched and can't believe that there was no discussion on this subject.  I've been limping along with a battery machine, but it doesn't handle drifts or damp snow.  I want a self-propelled model gas machine by next winter.  Ariens seems to have good reviews.
View Quote

Ariens!

I have the 24" 254hp version from homedepot when they last carried them locally  (2020?) it has been very solid. Just don't leave old gas in it over the summer.

I am also jealous of my neighbors with their single stage toros when theres light stuff. Seems so much lighter and more simple to operate. Keep your current for this!

I used to have 3-4 snow blowers at a time based on application I felt fit. The Ariens 2 stage is my favorite  by far.

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#19]
How much snow are we talking?

Random, light to moderate, storms? Get an EGO.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:17:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I use a Cub Cadet 2X 526 SWE 26 in

No I don't

I live in Florida.

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:43:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Honda Snow Blower  with track drive   I'd had one of these for 25 years now its still going strong.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:56:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Simplicity
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:00:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Honda is the gold standard.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 3:17:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I have an Ariens Platinum, I bought my father in law a 3 stage Cub Cadet.

Both have worked well, with some quirks.  The headlight died on my Ariens on the 2nd or 3rd use, and I had to order a new one.  It wasn't expensive and installation was easy.  On my FIL's Cub Cadet, one of the cables to engage the impeller loosened after a year.  He tightened it up and it works fine now.

Ariens, Toro, Cub Cadet, Simplicity, and Honda all make good machines.  I do like the chute manipulation for the Ariens, it is quick and easy.  The Cub Cadet has a little crank wheel that is slow.

Decide if you need a track or not.  I don't have a gravel drive, and mine isn't steep.  What you gain in traction with a track, you lose in maneuverability.

Simplicity seems to always be a highly regarded machine, but it doesn't seem to get as much attention as the others.  They must not advertise well enough.  I thought their electric chute control seemed a bit slow.

I bought nearly every accessory for my Ariens, the covered cab isn't as convenient as I thought it would be, and I haven't needed the chains.  The extra shear pins and weighted bar for the front are handy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 3:23:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I have an old tracked Yamaha , a newer tracked Honda and a 4 stroke flapper - the flapper gets the most use .
Love the tracked machines and if I ever need to buy another new one , which I most likely wont as the Honda should last me , I'd drive to fucking Canada and buy another Yamaha .

edit : looked up battery snow blowers and didn't realize they made them as big as they did . . . why though . . stupid batteries . . .
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 4:12:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ariens!

I have the 24" 254hp version from homedepot when they last carried them locally  (2020?) it has been very solid. Just don't leave old gas in it over the summer.

I am also jealous of my neighbors with their single stage toros when theres light stuff. Seems so much lighter and more simple to operate. Keep your current for this!

I used to have 3-4 snow blowers at a time based on application I felt fit. The Ariens 2 stage is my favorite  by far.

View Quote

254 horses? I want that!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 5:12:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Toro with Quick stik...
View Quote

This is what I have. It’s awesome. Whatever you get, don’t put the cheap gas in them- use ethanol free if it’s available.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ariens!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:13:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Fuck snow, just move.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I get along just fine with an older MTD  5hp 2 stage thrower.    Tecumsh engine.

I'm fussy about pulling stuff apart each year and greasing stuff and oil changes.
View Quote

Same here. Bought mine in the mid 90's. Had to replace a drive belt. Still starts on the first pull. I have about 2000 square feet to clear.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Had an Ariens and loved it.

Gave it to my daughter when she bought her first house and replaced it with a tracked Honda.

The Honda blows the Ariens out of the water.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Does MO get enough snow for a two stage?

All single stage blowers are "self propelled" as any fool who has touched one knows.

Toro is the number one seller by a large margin for some reason. Cub Cadet is the highest rated by consumer reports.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#33]
The advantages of the Toro quick stick are not overstated. Wish mine had a headlight though
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

The newest models are even better.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Love my Simplicity 2 stage.

Regardless of the brand you go with, I would encourage you to get the electronic directional chute control versus the crank. Keeping both hands on the handles and using just your thumb to direct where the snow is getting tossed makes the work much quicker and easier in my opinion.

Two stage is most often the answer unless you're doing a small area or don't get snow very often.

I think heated handles are a bit gimmicky and as long as you have good mittens, you should be good to go.

The ability to disconnect a wheel from the drive is also handy when you don't need the extra traction but need the ability to pivot in tight spaces.

Buy extra shear pins and keep them handy!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Toro with Quick stik...
View Quote

This.  Airens used to be the defacto answer, but their shit is made in China now too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#37]
My buddy is a commercial property manager. His guys have to clear shopping centers and office buildings. He says Ariens (pronounced "air ens" by the way) is all they use because they don't break like everything else.

I have been happy with my Ariens ST28LE Deluxe.

I cannot verify this, but it has been said that you will get a better product if you buy from one of the small independent shops instead of the big box stores. Supposedly the manufacturers make cheaper units for the big box stores so they can meet a lower price.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My buddy is a commercial property manager. His guys have to clear shopping centers and office buildings. He say Ariens (pronounced "air ens" by the way) is all they use because they don't break like everything else.

I have been happy with my Ariens ST28LE Deluxe.

I cannot verify this, but it has been said that you will get a better product if you buy from one of the small independent shops instead of the big box stores. Supposedly the manufacturers make cheaper units for the big box stores so they can meet a lower price.
View Quote

It depends on the manufacturer.  As far as I know you can always tell by looking up the part numbers.  I recommend ordering online for in store pickup if you can't find a local dealer.  You'll still get the model you want, even if it's not typically stocked at the store.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ariens!

View Quote

254 horsepower seems excessive. V-8?
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Toro 828 or 1030, I have both.  Started with the 8 gave that to my parents when their 7HP model died and bought the 10
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Ariens 28 deluxe.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Honda track…buy once, cry once. Did my 500’ driveway for 9 years in the NH snow belt. At 72 figured I’d splurge and get a commercial 55” for my Kubota…best $$ ever spent.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

FPNI for me.  I have whatever the Lowe's brand was at the time (Troy Bilt which is an MTD with a Techumseh  engine) 2 stage and it's been relatively trouble free for over 7 years.

I drain the gas out and run it dry at the end of each season.  Every other season I change the spark plug or if it looks to need replaced.  I change the oil every season.  Lubing/greasing is easy per the manual and I do that at the beginning of the season and before storing it.  Keep a shave plate or two on hand for replacement but otherwise it's been rock solid and starts the first time I pull the handle (rarely if ever have I used the electric starter).
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ariens Platinum is the cheapest I’d go if you get real snow. Ariens used to be top tier but there’s been a lot of cost cutting over the last 10 years so I’d have to see one in person to decide if they’re still worth it.

Honda or Simplicity Pro series is what you want if you plan to passed it down to your kids and perhaps your grandkids.
View Quote

I had a 1991 ariens 24.  It ran and ran for 27 years.  It was a very solid feeling machine.  10 of those years were 5 miles from lake superior in Michigan's UP, so it got used a lot, just about every day it seemed.

I bought a 2016 28 SHO for a light snow property, and a 2018 24 deluxe for another property.  I don't expect either will make it 27 years.  The 2016 has already been repaired twice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ariens!

I believe that's cubic centimeters.  Otherwise he's doing 0-60 in 4 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

FPNI for me.  I have whatever the Lowe's brand was at the time (Troy Bilt which is an MTD with a Techumseh  engine) 2 stage and it's been relatively trouble free for over 7 years.

I drain the gas out and run it dry at the end of each season.  Every other season I change the spark plug or if it looks to need replaced.  I change the oil every season.  Lubing/greasing is easy per the manual and I do that at the beginning of the season and before storing it.  Keep a shave plate or two on hand for replacement but otherwise it's been rock solid and starts the first time I pull the handle (rarely if ever have I used the electric starter).
View Quote

Same here.  Had mine about 10 years.  The electric start is a nice option when you are firing it up after sitting for a year.  Draining the gas and running it dry every spring is the key.  David
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Toro is the number one seller by a large margin for some reason. Cub Cadet is the highest rated by consumer reports.
View Quote

Because Toro is better by a large margin.

I have a Cub Cadet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I have troy built gas one with 120v electric start.  it has been great for many years.  around 800 $ when i bought it. never an issue.

It will move heavy wet snow.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ariens two stage.
View Quote

This is my first winter with one as it replaced my old mtd. I have to say I am liking my decision to go with  Ariens.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top