Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/19/2022 8:26:30 AM EDT
Been using those coin gapers since I was a teen. Friend of mine gave me one of these and when I checked my gaps they were way off with feeler gauge. Can really adjust gap precisely to .043https://precisionraceworks.com/products/gap-tool-w-feeler-gaugeAttachment Attached File

$40.

coin gapper in trash
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#1]
$40 tool to gap a $2 part? No thanks. I'll stick to my $1 gapping tool.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
+1

If you are shop and doing it all day long it would most likely make sense (you could earn it back rather quickly in charges). But for a home job?
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I just tap them on my bench vise until the feeler gauge drags correctly.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#4]
You gap your spark plugs? Straight from the box to my motor!
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I use this.

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Same. Been working for decades.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I have ocd. Things have to be perfect for me. I think it’s a great tool. I hate adjusting gaps with the coin. This makes it a breeze. Great addition to the tool box.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy your parts elsewhere. I can't remember the last time i bought an out of spec plug.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#9]
So I can use a sight pusher?
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
+1

If you are shop and doing it all day long it would most likely make sense (you could earn it back rather quickly in charges). But for a home job?
View Quote

It's $40, you don't have to earn it back.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Plus

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm buying one because I'm a tool junky.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Been gapping points and plugs since the mid 70s. Never used a 40 dollar tool to do it and I probably won't start any time soon.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have ocd. Things have to be perfect for me. I think it’s a great tool. I hate adjusting gaps with the coin. This makes it a breeze. Great addition to the tool box.
View Quote

Did you know you can index your plugs to have the spark opening face the income fuel mix?
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Been using those coin gapers since I was a teen. Friend of mine gave me one of these and when I checked my gaps they were way off with feeler gauge. Can really adjust gap precisely to .043https://precisionraceworks.com/products/gap-tool-w-feeler-gaugehttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/407055/C8884627-1CA8-4126-9B09-8FDAE3E99C01_jpe-2318576.JPG
$40.

coin gapper in trash
View Quote

LoL!??
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Same except from Snap on, wore 2 of them out, Snap on warrantied both...Of course, there was a lot of years I cycled thru a pile of plugs between customers and my own race stuff....
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah.  I can think of a million things I care about more than he gap on my plugs being 0.03 off.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Same. Been working for decades.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

+1
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah.  I can think of a million things I care about more than he gap on my plugs being 0.03 off.
View Quote

.03" is actually a lot.  

.003" wouldn't bother me on a regular street car.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

My understanding is the “coin” isn’t for adjusting the gap, but for measuring it. I’ve never used it to adjust the gap. Definitely not on modern Iridium plugs.  I’ve always bought plugs with the gap already set and have never needed to adjust them.  For plugs that do need adjustment, slightly bending the ground electrode to the correct gap is the correct way.

Edited for clarity.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My understanding is the “coin” isn’t for adjusting the gap, but for measuring it. I’ve never used it to adjust the gap. Definitely not on modern Iridium plugs.  I’ve always bought plugs with the gap already set and have never needed to adjust them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding is the “coin” isn’t for adjusting the gap, but for measuring it. I’ve never used it to adjust the gap. Definitely not on modern Iridium plugs.  I’ve always bought plugs with the gap already set and have never needed to adjust them.

And plugs never get dropped in shipping.

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And plugs never get dropped in shipping.

View Quote

Edited my post to be more specific.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#23]
When cars went to hei and 35,000+ volts, the plug gap isn’t very important, it’s going to spark. (Within reason)

My coin gapper  sets them all the same, if off by a few thousandth, don’t care.

You do index them, right?
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#24]
OP’s a gear queer!  . Your car don’t give a shit if your old coin gapper was off by .0087

Quoted:
View Quote

I think mine are $7-$9 each. This thread reminds me I need to change them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Now I’m a queer. Dang I’m taking a shellacking over this one,lol. ??
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#26]
FFS.
I been using the wire ones for 30 years.
I bend the c thingy until it's straight with the electrode and tap to gap.
But fuckall, some nozzeleer will post a cool gapper tool and I'll just have to have one.
Just like the cool tools thread, I have now a set of those low profile impact sockets with the wrench flats and a cable hose clamp tool.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

99.9% of people gapping plugs isn't important.

The small few who don't, and do it right, as well as index their plugs to squeeze out every last bit of energy of fuel, it matters.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP’s a gear queer!  . Your car don’t give a shit if your old coin gapper was off by .0087

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll admit it's been a long time since I've bought plugs. Last time I got plugs was several years ago for my generator and I bought 8 of them and they were $2 a piece. I pay someone to work on my cars because fuck doing it myself.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Did the plugs in the Jeep about a month ago, use a wire gapping tool.
Only had to adjust one out of 16. Factory gap calls for .045.
The old plugs were close to .080.

Made a very noticeable difference.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm surprised it took someone so long to post your a gear queer.

Standby for more homo-ness.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Found one of those in FIL’s stuff in the barn.  Kept it
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just tap them on my bench vise until the feeler gauge drags correctly.
View Quote

#metoo.  This is a $40.00 solution to a cost-free problem.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Meh the coin gets them close enough that they work just fine.

For something I maybe do once every five years, it'll do just fine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#34]
After the UTI and 'charger' threads I was afraid to click this one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You gap your spark plugs? Straight from the box to my motor!
View Quote

You actually aren’t supposed to adjust iridium plugs from the factory as you’ll ruin them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Buy a platinum tip spark plug because they are already gapped  and you’ll never have to put another spark plug in that engine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#37]
When archaeologists dig up my garage in a distant future, they will find dozens of these and think it's some kind of native jewelry.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You actually aren’t supposed to adjust iridium plugs from the factory as you’ll ruin them.
View Quote

I wonder how the manufacturer sets the gap without ruining them...I also wonder why every plug they have ever made that has been gapped hasn't failed on the spot..I can't think of a single time I heard someone claim their iridium plugs failed at install..not one time in all these years....
 Another quirk I've noticed over the years that really has shown up often since the manufacturers went distributor less...It has become very common for someone to do a "tuneup" on a perfectly ordinary running engine only to have it start filing codes for random misfires..I find often enough that simply closing the plug gap up from the .045 to .065" gap the maker wants to .035" will often solve the misfires for good until the plugs wear out again...Years of gapping all such plugs at .035" solved a lot of potential issues before they ever had a chance to happen...
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My understanding is the “coin” isn’t for adjusting the gap, but for measuring it…
View Quote

The gap opener (key ring hole) can be used to adjust the gap. You can slip it between the center electrode and ground electrode and pry gently with the coin.

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just tap them on my bench vise with a wrench until the feeler gauge drags correctly.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Two dollar part?

It is not about the cost of the spark plug. If the gap is not right, the engine will not run right.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Did the plugs in the Jeep about a month ago, use a wire gapping tool.
Only had to adjust one out of 16. Factory gap calls for .045.
The old plugs were close to .080.

Made a very noticeable difference.
View Quote

Need pics of this V16 Jeep
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Need pics of this V16 Jeep
View Quote

Sure.
And yes, it does take 16 spark plugs.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

But no mo' mean tweets
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I wonder how the manufacturer sets the gap without ruining them...I also wonder why every plug they have ever made that has been gapped hasn't failed on the spot..I can't think of a single time I heard someone claim their iridium plugs failed at install..not one time in all these years....
 Another quirk I've noticed over the years that really has shown up often since the manufacturers went distributor less...It has become very common for someone to do a "tuneup" on a perfectly ordinary running engine only to have it start filing codes for random misfires..I find often enough that simply closing the plug gap up from the .045 to .065" gap the maker wants to .035" will often solve the misfires for good until the plugs wear out again...Years of gapping all such plugs at .035" solved a lot of potential issues before they ever had a chance to happen...
View Quote

Mehh.
My 01 drive to work junker dodge.
Don't remember if they were platinum or iridium bosh plugs.
Weren't worth a fuck from the get go.
It gets regular old style plugs now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Lol,wow some of you guys are so up tight and angry this morning I bet if you shove a piece of coal up your ass you would pinch off a diamond.
I didn’t tell anyone to go out and buy this I’m just sharing what was given to me and I enjoyed using it. Made it much easier to adjust gap. Also everytime I’ve bought densos believe it or not gap is not at 0.43
Enjoy your weekend everyone & stay safe,??
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#47]
you change your spark plugs?
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah really, when was the last time you bought a spark plug? @TheTallest
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only if you're doing it wrong.  If you have to gap a spark plug...reduce or increase...it is best if you don't increase the gap by prying open the ground electrode against the center electrode.  One could probably go a lifetime with the old school "pry" method and not have a problem, but in particular with the tiny, thin iridium and platinum center electrodes, there is a possibility of damaging that center electrode.

There is a cheap, simple tool that is usually attached to many of the simple plug gapping tools that grabs the outer ground electrode...the bent/angled electrode...and gently bends it up or down from the center electrode to achieve clearance.  I do stress "gently".  The ground electrode can be easily raised or lowered with this tool.  It's not an arm wrestling requirement.

It is recommended not to use that center electrode on any plug as a point of force to pry up the ground electrode.  You'll get away with this more than 90% of the time, however.  I just refuse to pry open a gap on an iridium or platinum plug using that center electrode as a pry or force point.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#50]
How is that better than installing feeler gauge and bashing on table?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top