BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crazy. When we were there in August the rivers were at drought levels.
View Quote

I was there in June and some of the rivers were pretty high.  It’s just natural fluctuations from snow melt…current conditions notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I am watching a press conference done by the park director today.  He seems optimistic about getting the other entrances open very soon, but the NE entrance and the road from Tower to Cooke City sound like they're going to be closed until next year.  He said they might open the road to Mammoth from Norris earlier than that, depending on the assessment of the damage to sewer and water lines in Mammoth.  The North entrance is going to take a while, but he sounded like it would be a priority because of the economic impact on Gardiner.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The little one lane gravel road north out of Mammoth to Gardiner will be getting a workout in the coming months. As much damage as the main road looks to have it will be months if not years before that is passable again.
View Quote

Supposedly, that's the old stage coach route.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Any word on if this is going to impact I-90 at all?  I'll be heading through there on Thursday.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 4:10:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Nature, it’s a motherfucker.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 4:13:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do they turn the buffalo off to save power if there aren't any visitors to see them?  Would be pretty inefficient to just leave those big things running.
View Quote

Lol!
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Serious question, after this event, is most of Montana and Wyoming still in a drought status?
View Quote

Southern WY is supposed to still be dry as a bone
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Live shot from the front porch.

I’m off Yellowstone Hwy 24 miles from the East Entrance.

Hard to believe such devastation about 50 miles away.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/jj6vcF2.jpg
View Quote

All the same - that's one heck of a view.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Goddamn, that is beautiful!
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

All the same - that's one heck of a view.
View Quote

Think of all the people in this nation, 320 million.  

How many have a view like that?  You are one fortunate son of a gun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow it's green!
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There are quite a few trails that start outside the park boundary. Example would be the Eagle Creek pack trail on the east side.  I haven't looked at the closure orders to see if they affect trails, or just the entrance roads. So maybe it would be OK to backpack in. BUT most of those trails are in creek bottoms and have bridges, so I wouldn't recommend it. There are plenty of other places to go hiking that will be drier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is there a way to backpack into the park, without going through an "entrance"?

I'd like to get in there while there's almost no people there.

There are quite a few trails that start outside the park boundary. Example would be the Eagle Creek pack trail on the east side.  I haven't looked at the closure orders to see if they affect trails, or just the entrance roads. So maybe it would be OK to backpack in. BUT most of those trails are in creek bottoms and have bridges, so I wouldn't recommend it. There are plenty of other places to go hiking that will be drier.
That trail is 15 miles from the road trail head to the park boundary.  If that's the one that goes to Eagle Pass.

There are lots of trails that go to the park from the outside that aren't quite that long to get to the park.  

However, the park is actually closed right now, which means they don't want anyone entering the park by foot or other means.

I don't think they will keep the whole thing closed for long, but resources are spread even thinner than usual right now and I understand closing the park till they find out more.  I bet quite a few people are stranded.

Hopefully there was lots of warning this was coming.  Because people in the Lamar Valley can't drive to Tower or Mammoth and can't drive to Cooke City.  I can definitely see being trapped real easy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That trail is 15 miles from the road trail head to the park boundary.  If that's the one that goes to Eagle Pass.

There are lots of trails that go to the park from the outside that aren't quite that long to get to the park.  

However, the park is actually closed right now, which means they don't want anyone entering the park by foot or other means.

I don't think they will keep the whole thing closed for long, but resources are spread even thinner than usual right now and I understand closing the park till they find out more.  I bet quite a few people are stranded.

Hopefully there was lots of warning this was coming.  Because people in the Lamar Valley can't drive to Tower or Mammoth and can't drive to Cooke City.  I can definitely see being trapped real easy.
View Quote

According to the park superintendent, all tourists are out of the park now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you're still interested in GNP, let me know.

I can likely find you some bookings depending on what you're looking for. That said, we got 4" + of rain in the last 48 hrs and above 5K', 10" + of snow.

I personally doubt that G-T-S Highway will be open until after July 4th. Probably later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our anniversary is in 3 weeks.  Glacier is booked, mostly.  And Alaska isn't an option.

If you're still interested in GNP, let me know.

I can likely find you some bookings depending on what you're looking for. That said, we got 4" + of rain in the last 48 hrs and above 5K', 10" + of snow.

I personally doubt that G-T-S Highway will be open until after July 4th. Probably later.

Wow, I knew the area was getting a lot of rain, but that's crazy.  Like landslide weather for G-T-S.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

According to the park superintendent,  all tourists are out of the park now.
View Quote
Was there any warning and/or preevacuation before the storm hit?  How did people get out of Lamar, Tower and Mammoth?  Me and my wife have been going every year for a few years and we spend a lot of time in Lamar Valley, Mammoth etc.  We hike.  We check the weather, but I have always felt like I need experience to understand the level of drastic about to come.  I could see getting trapped.

We have been going in the fall.  We skipped this year because I was too busy to make plans and then my truck got stolen, and lots of other things happened.  

Last fall it was really dry, I and started thinking about going in spring or late fall.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Was there any warning and/or preevacuation before the storm hit?  How did people get out of Lamar, Tower and Mammoth?  Me and my wife have been going every year for a few years and we spend a lot of time in Lamar Valley, Mammoth etc.  We hike.  We check the weather, but I have always felt like I need experience to understand the level of drastic about to come.  I could see getting trapped.

We have been going in the fall.  We skipped this year because I was too busy to make plans and then my truck got stolen, and lots of other things happened.  

Last fall it was really dry, I and started thinking about going in spring or late fall.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to the park superintendent,  all tourists are out of the park now.

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Back it up Terry, put it in reverse!

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Sucks balls.  We were scheduled to spend 7/1 and 7/2 in Yellowstone.  Already rerouting to a different destination for the road trip
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think there was some warning when the rivers started to rise.  Some people had to be taken out by helicopter, I believe.  Most managed to get out via the south, east and west entrances.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Lots of people canceling travel plans
I’m working in Jackson for now, my current business is very tourism dependent, wasn’t the best move but oh well
It’s a temp move

Rain didn’t hit us locally bad, got the rivers raging for a moment
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lots of people canceling travel plans
I’m working in Jackson for now, my current business is very tourism dependent, wasn’t the best move but oh well
It’s a temp move

Rain didn’t hit us locally bad, got the rivers raging for a moment
View Quote

I bet the Tetons get even more business than usual from all the people who couldn't go to Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've seen it 4-5 times in the last 25 years.

Me at the top of the G-T-S Highway (Logan Pass) visitor center parking lot, 12-15 years ago on a mid July opening that was shortly closed for a day or so due to avalanches.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3446/31105.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3446/31106.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3446/31107.JPG

Is it normal? No.

Is it unheard of? No
View Quote

I’ve got similar pics with my family at the GTS visitor center there from 2010.  We were there a couple of days after it had opened. Might have just missed each other
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I’ve got similar pics with my family at the GTS visitor center there from 2010.  We were there a couple of days after it had opened. Might have just missed each other
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen it 4-5 times in the last 25 years.

Me at the top of the G-T-S Highway (Logan Pass) visitor center parking lot, 12-15 years ago on a mid July opening that was shortly closed for a day or so due to avalanches.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3446/31105.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3446/31106.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3446/31107.JPG

Is it normal? No.

Is it unheard of? No

ROFL!  We were there in July of 2010 as well! This was taken at the Logan Pass Visitor's Center parking lot.

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I bet the Tetons get even more business than usual from all the people who couldn't go to Yellowstone.
View Quote

The entire surrounding area is showing quite the increase
The Jackson airport being under construction is sending a lot to extra people to Teton valley and south into star valley

But Yellowstone is the attraction, gtnp is gonna be stupid busy but it’s not the destination Yellowstone is

I’d like to see things go back to somewhat normal, but I’m not even sure anyone knows what normal is at this point
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fuuuck. I'm taking the family to Yellowstone in 2 weeks
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, that is beautiful.  What a view.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you Jim Zumbo?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#33]
On a call now with park service. Southern loop may be open next week. Some washout in canyon village. Temporary reservation system will take 3-4 weeks to get up and running. Tour companies will bypass reservation system.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
On a call now with park service. Southern loop may be open next week. Some washout in canyon village. Temporary reservation system will take 3-4 weeks to get up and running. Tour companies will bypass reservation system.
View Quote

@mdguy90

You hiring?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@mdguy90

You hiring?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@mdguy90

You hiring?

Always.

Superintendent mentioned until res system going up, doing entrances based on last digit of license plate. Odd numbers go in these days, even numbers go in these days.

these are just suggestions being thrown around, nothing is set yet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Always.

Superintendent mentioned until res system going up, doing entrances based on last digit of license plate. Odd numbers go in these days, even numbers go in these days.

View Quote

What about those with reservations at the Inn and Roosevelt already?  Say 2nd week of July
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What about those with reservations at the Inn and Roosevelt already?  Say 2nd week of July
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always.

I’d book a backup. Sounds like just southern loop will be operating. Too soon to say though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Dear Yellowstone National Park Lodges guests,

As you may have seen in recent news reports, record flooding   events in and around Yellowstone National Park have caused significant damage   to roads, bridges, and other infrastructure. We have been advised by the   National Park Service that the   Upper Loop Road in Yellowstone is unlikely to re-open this summer season.   As a result, Mammoth Hot   Springs Hotel & Cabins will remain closed through the end of its season   on November 27, 2022 and Roosevelt Lodge Cabins will remain closed through   the end of its season on September 4, 2022.

•If you have a reservation for        lodging at either Mammoth or Roosevelt, tours with pickups at either        location, or activities (including the Roosevelt cookout, trail rides        and stagecoach rides), your        reservation will automatically be cancelled and an applicable refund        issued. You can expect to receive the refund within 7 to        10 business days. No        action is required on your part related to these reservations.

•If you have reservations at        other in-park lodging, camping, or tours/activities, those segments of        your reservation will remain intact. If you choose to cancel these other        associated reservations, you may do so without a cancellation fee and        receive a full refund.

•If you choose to cancel other        portions of your reservations, you may do so online       or by calling our Central Reservations Office at 307-344-7311. Because        our Central Reservations call center is experiencing very high call        volumes, please expect longer hold times. We apologize for the        inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

If you’re still planning to visit Yellowstone this summer, we   also suggest you regularly check the Yellowstone National Park road   report and alerts   webpage regularly. You can also call the road report at   307-344-2117.

If you wish to consider rebooking for Summer 2022 into other   in-park lodging or campgrounds, we suggest you avoid long hold times by   searching for availability and booking rooms, campgrounds, and tour/activities   reservations online.   If you’re not able to find in-park options, you can find gateway community   lodging information by clicking on the following links for Cody,   WY, 307-586-1574 (East entrance); Jackson,   WY (South entrance); and West   Yellowstone, MT (West entrance). Cooke City, MT and Gardiner, MT are not   currently accessible due to road closures.

We are very sorry for this situation and its impact on your   travel plans and thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely, Yellowstone National Park Lodges
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Yup. Just got that too.   Humm don't think it's worth it for 1 night at the old faithful Inn
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yup. Just got that too.   Humm don't think it's worth it for 1 night at the old faithful Inn
View Quote

If you’ve got the means to come back another year do it.

If not, Cody, west and Jackson all have some great stuff to see.

I won’t stay in the park if I’m with family. Solo is another story.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Never moving to MT, WY, or ID.
View Quote

Excellent.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, we went to Rushmore for the Independence day fireworks in 2020 then drove to Yellowstone.
Didn't get the inn since it was closed, but they kept pushing the reservation. Last year cancelled, this was supposed to be the year. Well maybe next year
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah, we went to Rushmore for the Independence day fireworks in 2020 then drove to Yellowstone.
Didn't get the inn since it was closed, but they kept pushing the reservation. Last year cancelled, this was supposed to be the year. Well maybe next year
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@evofxdwg
Spoke to my friend in Cody.   Did not  sound bad there.  While u are in Cody check out the firearms museam.

Rodeo is a big deal that weekend if u didn’t already know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have res at a Cody campground for 6 days over July 4 holiday. Been looking for another campground on west side after that. Wife said she read Yellowstone was closing for the season! Can anybody confirm? I guess we’ll be making changes in our itinerary.

@evofxdwg
Spoke to my friend in Cody.   Did not  sound bad there.  While u are in Cody check out the firearms museam.

Rodeo is a big deal that weekend if u didn’t already know.

Thanks! We like Rodeo and didn’t know about it. A former co workers cousin is affiliated with the museum so we have a report thru them and are keeping the Cody reservation.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Southern loop reopening June 22nd at 8AM

Alternating License Plate System (ALPS)

Beginning June 22, 2022, public vehicle entry will be allowed based on whether the last numerical digit on a license plate is odd or even.
Entrance will be granted based on odd/even days on the calendar:
Odd-numbered last digits on license plates can enter on odd days of the month.
Even-numbered last digits, including zero, on license plates can enter on even days of the month.
Personalized license plates with all letters (i.e. YLWSTNE) will fall into the “odd” category for entrance purposes.
Personalized plates with a mix of letters and numbers that end with a letter (for example YELL4EVR) will still use the last numerical digit on the plate to determine entrance days.
Entrance station staff will turn away vehicles attempting to enter the park when the odd/even numerical digits do not correspond to the odd/even calendar date for entrance.
Exceptions to ALPS

Visitors with proof of overnight reservations in the park will be permitted to enter regardless of license plate number. This includes hotels, campgrounds, and backcountry reservations.
Current commercial use operators with active commercial use permits will be permitted to enter regardless of license plate number. This includes commercial tours and stock groups.
Commercial motorcoaches will be permitted to enter regardless of license plate number.
Motorcycle groups may enter on even dates only.
Essential services like mail, FedEx, employees, and contractors may enter regardless of license plate number.
This interim license plate system will ensure visitors have access to the park during this period of high demand. Park managers and staff will monitor this system and its impacts on resources, infrastructure, operations, and staffing, and may adjust or implement a reservation or timed entry system, if necessary, after three to four weeks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Does the upper loop being closed, close the entrance to the park from Cody WY?
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Send us the water
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:49:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Does the upper loop being closed, close the entrance to the park from Cody WY?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:57:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Never moving to MT, WY, or ID.
View Quote

You shouldn't. The only place I've ever been that felt like I could get along just fine outside of TX&OK was Wyoming. I'd not hesitate to go there at the drop of a hat as long as I was assured people like you weren't going to be there. I came away with an extremely positive view of Wyoming and the people there
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top