Posted: 9/18/2022 11:55:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What the hell is "growned".
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Send it back, then go to a local hobby shop and get something decent. Modern quality beginner helicopters are VERY stable and easy to fly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
We had a "all vendor gifts must be approved by HR" rule for a year after a vendor gave us a cheap branded RC helicopter and my boss immediately launched it straight into the HR lady's face.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
My family got me one for my birthday.

No way I would fly inside with ceiling fans, tv, etc so outside we go.

Place it on the ground, took off quick right into a tree branch, fell to the ground and broke the landing skid and tail  

Dumped into the trash can…..thanks for the gift…..
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
That's the same POS my wife bought for my kids.

Should have just sprung for a mavic mini.

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Those specifically qualify “for inside use” on the box.  They use infrared controllers, and you’re lucky if the controller works outside.  I gave the exact one, and in the hands of an adult, they work great inside.  They take a lot of finesse and not just jamming the stick as hard as you can (which is how kids fly them).  I do believe they make a larger version for outdoor use.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#10]
You can have a decent one that has accurate controls without spending a lot more.

A place I used to work with glass office enclosures, several of us bought little helicopters and we would take off from our desk and fly into someone else's office to blow papers around and generally annoy each other.  It was fun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What does a functional toy helicopter cost and is it going to stand up to an 8 year old pilot?

My daughter gets frustrated with her older brother and I, who she spends 99% of her time with outside of school trying "mansplain" her. I don't blame her. She a smart kid and quite competent in her own but she's impatient.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Send it back, then go to a local hobby shop and get something decent. Modern quality beginner helicopters are VERY stable and easy to fly.
What does a functional toy helicopter cost and is it going to stand up to an 8 year old pilot?

My daughter gets frustrated with her older brother and I, who she spends 99% of her time with outside of school trying "mansplain" her. I don't blame her. She a smart kid and quite competent in her own but she's impatient.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/120-s2-rtf-with-safe/BLH1100.html

Something like this. But they demand care and attention to fly. Not really something to just dive into.

If she's really interested in RC, a simulator like Realflight is invaluable and will save a ton of money in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm with the OP on this one. I've had "cheap" mini RC toy helicopters in the past that were pretty decent. The tail rotor actually allowed you to yaw and the main rotor tilted so you could fly it more or less like a real helo. The new ones with the counter-rotating blades and verticle tail rotor suck. Much harder to fly and not very fun or realistic. I have one sitting in a closet waiting for me to give it one last try before throwing it out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Those coaxial toy helicopters are garbage. The only control is a tiny up/down thrusting tail fan. You could get a coax with a real swash plate like a Blade MCX2 but even those are pretty bad in wind, and they are like $100. If you want good outdoor performance but also ease of flight for a beginner... get a quadcopter, I'm sorry to say. Any heli good for outdoor flight is going to be big money and not for newbs.

Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14563/59924C29-0FF7-4472-A8E5-04EFF8517370-2530626.jpg

Wtf is "soqnish"? I don't know. Brownells should pay for an editor.
View Quote

I will translate, I speak fatfinger. "spanish parts 223 cetme takes ar mags"

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Something like this. But they demand care and attention to fly. Not really something to just dive into.

If she's really interested in RC, a simulator like Realflight is invaluable and will save a ton of money in the long run.
View Quote

It's a big leap from $20 to $169 for a toy...
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow! People are so stupid now. Stay in school kid.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#19]
High quality RC helicopters are not cheap - and not easy to fly either (not at all unlike their full sized versions).

Good luck... I think its easier to fly real ones.

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks. I'll look at it.

I don't know about a simulator. She really just wants to watch a toy helicopter zoom around without maybe a lot of effort. I'll have to talk to her
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I'll look at it.

I don't know about a simulator. She really just wants to watch a toy helicopter zoom around without maybe a lot of effort. I'll have to talk to her

If it doesn't have to be a helicopter, there are plenty of cheap mini drones that fly way better than the toy helicopters.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I was always into the align t-Rex series if I didn’t build it myself. If you/her want to get into flying I’d recommend buying a build kit from flighttest if you wanna go the plane route. All you need is a hot glue gun and a razor
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I have that exact model, there is a definite learning curve with it but once you get the hang of it not bad.
I did buy a set of spare blades as it will whack against things sometimes and damage the blade.
The worst thing about it was the dogs would freak out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Those things are like $ 500. I don't think that's a toy for an 8 year old.

They are cool though. My former neighbor in Utah had one that he showed me when he flew it sprung the neighborhood
View Quote

They do work though, and a kid can easily fly it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#24]
The best cheap RC helicopters. I have two sizes of their older version and both are excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Helicopter-Aircraft-Beginners-Batteries/dp/B093QCB36J
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This remote control car is a good deal though.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14563/A0CFD721-8E6E-451B-9B11-6944094601A8-2530610.png

Most of the kids' cheap remote control cars suck. They're weak and can't move in grass or sometimes even in the fake astroturf type grass. The steering linkages on the car stop working pretty quickly after some smash ups.

This thing zooms right along, is pretty durable and when if flips on it's side it'll sometimes pop back up if you gun it. I can kind of steer it pretty well
View Quote
My kid has this exact RC car and it rocks. It is super light and the tires are foam, it can actually float and traverse water.

Nylint used to make a rock crawler that was so good, people in the RC rock crawling community actually used it and it had quite a following. My brother had one and we coined the phrase "getting violent with the nylint" which we still laugh about to this day.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The other day my wife said she "already knowed" something
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Flying a DJI Mavicpro inside the house is also bad.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#28]
"You get what you pay for" Still applies no matter how old a saying it is.

And I don't think ANY RC helicopter is really a toy for an 8 year old. They will ALL break if you crash them, that's what helicopters do. And an 8 year old WILL crash them.

A good, expensive RC helicopter takes time and dedication to learn to fly, and you have to accept that you're gonna crash it a few times and have to fix it.

A cheap, kid's grade RC helicopter will take ALOT of time, and ALOT of dedication to learn to fly. And when you crash it, you likely won't be able to fix it (no parts support).

Also small helicopters are quite a bit harder to fly than big ones.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I had one of those. They are nothing compared to drone technology.

Little Taylor deserves your click (and sympathy.) So cute.
Flutterby Fairy Fireplace Fail
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They do work though, and a kid can easily fly it.
View Quote

Yes.  VERY easy to fly.  Look for an early model refurbished one.  They can be had for cheap...

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

You,....knew, what she meant
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  A decent coaxial is surprisingly easy to hover and fly.  You just need to throw a little more cash at it.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They are cool though. My former neighbor in Utah had one that he showed me when he flew it sprung the neighborhood
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's the same POS my wife bought for my kids.

Should have just sprung for a mavic mini.

The problem is not the $500 for an 8 year old.

It's way worse than that. He will handle master it very quickly and you want to try it too. And after a few flights you will start to figure out that the Mini 2 ( NEVER get the Mini, get the Mini 2!) could be a great thing to use for recon, but it's more of a toy because of its limitations.

And BANG you will spend 1000 Bucks for the Air-2S or even more for the Mavic 3

Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought a bunch of flying disco balls at Menards several years ago. Looks very similar.  Lots of fun.  Fucked with the cats bigtime.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#36]
They're disposable toys.

That model looks like one I bought to play with an over active husky I used to own.  (Or the husky owned me.  I never figured that one out).

Put one of his treats between the landing struts, launched it from a porch and he had a blast hunting it through the back yard.   When the helicopter crashed / broke, it was $40 or so.   I think I went through three of them before the husky got bored.  

Also, the mini syma copters look like the ones' I bought as christmas gifts for a team I used to manage.  (Same team I bought an arsenal of nerf guns for the year before).  We rigged the mini-copters up to play air jousting games for shots.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I would say a little mini quad is much easier to fly.  

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I had one of those. They are nothing compared to drone technology.

Little Taylor deserves your click (and sympathy.) So cute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-qwrWw3Q0s
View Quote

Lmfao
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I bought a factory refurb mini for $ 250ish
View Quote

Those are fun enough that you can actually do it as a family, take turns flying.

Which model is it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said, "you... what?" and she immediately *knew* what she said wrong
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#43]

That will be super easy to fly.

The only thing I hate is taking my phone out of the case so it will attach to the controller.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The only thing I hate is taking my phone out of the case so it will attach to the controller.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There are many versions of this adapter. You can find one that will work for your phone, or a tablet. Makes things much easier

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. They're worth the money when it comes to flying. Planes and helicopters basically fly themselves now
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#47]
I've had good luck with Syma. Definitely disposable (we buy them almost every Christmas), but always a blast. I have no problem flying it around the house. An 8yo is not going to manage any helicopter very well though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
An 8yo is not going to manage any helicopter very well though.
View Quote

5 year old RC heli pilot - Justin Jee - Trex600 - Sep 2007

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#49]
OP, I'm pretty sure I have an RC-10 laying around. You could turn her on to that. If she wants it she can haz it fur free. DM for deets.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I had one similar several years ago I purchased at a gip shop in Gatlinburg.  I finally succumbed to the fact all I could really do was go out in my 100 acre field, press the go button, and watch it go sailing.

However, the little bitty one I purchased, I finally learned to fly in circles with some consistency around the house and got to where I could land it on the ceiling fan blade.

Go buy a GOOD drone and you won't look back!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top