Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Self checkouts are one of the best things to ever happen to retail. Thieves and stupid people always fuck shit up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I once watched a man with cerebral palsy scan a pack of gum. After he stopped shaking that damned thing cost him a hundred dollars!

(Stolen and paraphrased from comedian Josh Blue)
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#3]
4 out of 5 shoppers are lie on surveys.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
My local grocery store has a camera over each self-check, as do all stores with self-check, and if it didn't catch the bar code and senses added weight to the bag station, it will call a cashier who can replay in slo-mo the item you scanned and see it you actually scanned it or just dropped it in the bag.

So, theft is a problem with self check?  Thieves are going to steal, self check or not.

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, being phased out a lot. Newest thing is helping unload the semi-trucks before you are allowed to enter the store to shop!
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I only like self checkout if I have a handful of items.  I hate it at sam's and walmart when I generally have a cart full.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Being forced to use self checkout with a week’s worth of groceries and 3 kids under 6 was a form of torture.  

my kids are older now but I notice frustrated parents having to do the same while the line for the 1 cashier is 10 people deep.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Noooooooo
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like them and can get out usually a good bit faster.  Even with a lot of things to buy.
View Quote

Buying meds or alcohol is cumbersome
The attendants don’t give a fuck

I’m can’t imagine old people trying to use coupons and shit
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't use them as I typically buy too many Items.
I expect they supply an ample number of Cashiers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:40:33 PM EDT
[#11]
the real reason is...some people....can't be trusted...
accidental "theft" isn't going to bankrupt a company
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Walmart’s self checkout system seems to work great.

The local Kroger here makes me want to punch kittens.
View Quote

“Please put your item in the bagging area”
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Weird

I use self check 98% of the time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hate anything but self checkout
In fact I refuse to use a checkout where I have to interact with another person
View Quote

Agreed
They’re either 100 or have Down syndrome or a broken arm or all three
It’s miserable and slow as fuck
And don’t circle the survey on my receipt and tell me about my fuel points
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The ability to competently and honestly use a self checkout should be the threshold for voting rights.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The ability to competently and honestly use a self checkout should be the threshold for voting rights.

Oooh, I like that

Quoted:
Walmart’s self checkout system seems to work great.

The local Kroger here makes me want to punch kittens.

More or less

Quoted:

Did they also stick the power tool batts and small lengths of electrical wire in locked cases which nobody is ever around to open?

Obviously
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I prefer self-checkout, most of my time is wasted waiting for other people to hurry the F up. Self-checkout usually solves it. Most people are too retarded to use the self-checkout correctly. I don't believe that theft goes up as a consequence, I think it is just easier to catch when you replace human beings with machines that record everything.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I say FO to both self check out and a cashier.  I do curbside pickup for EVERYTHING now.  Fuck going inside.  Bring that shit out to me and make it snappy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Scan and go for me
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#19]
HA! That's what they get for being too cheap to hire good help! I'm not your friggin cashier.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I like them, but certain demographics are destroying retail and retail isn't willing to do the needful otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Home Depot near me turned the self checkout into “pay for old women who can barely operate the machines to operate the machines for you” because of theft. It’s infuriating.
View Quote

They did that here too,  but if you look like a normal white person they let you do it yourself anyways.  White Privelege

Walmart and Lowes doesn't look at my receipts when I walk out the door either.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:45:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I send my wife to do woman's work.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#23]
They don't have self checkout at the closest store to buy any kind of grocery item. Normally it is me and the owner and he was stocking shelves when I walked in. Rural life.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#24]
lol Gizmodo is still around? I thought all the gawker sites were dead. They should be.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:49:31 PM EDT
[#25]
posters in here that sing the praises of self-check out also use self-gratification instead of sex with a real person.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I say FO to both self check out and a cashier.  I do curbside pickup for EVERYTHING now.  Fuck going inside.  Bring that shit out to me and make it snappy.
View Quote

The dipshit employees with their giant curbside carts blocking every isle are my latest frustration with grocery shopping. We buy too much fresh meat and produce to trust that shit
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#27]
87% of people don’t know what they are doing in self checkouts. The amount of time needed to process one person is vastly increased. If self checkouts are limited to express lane duty only then they do ok.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I happen to like self checkouts.  They'll never hire enough cashiers if they do away with them and you'll end up standing in lines again.
View Quote

I still have to stand in long ass lines to use self check out.  I haven't seen any real differences in the amount of time i have to stand in line.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I like self check out.  If store clerks want to lose their job because they want to talk to Mildred about her family or whatever else (while I wait), then fuck em. Let them lose their job. I don't want to stand in line while the cashier talks to somebody for a few minutes. Nor do I want to wait for someone who I slower than Moses at ringing up my groceries.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I still have to stand in long ass lines to use self check out.  I haven't seen any real differences in the amount of time i have to stand in line.
View Quote

The trick to skipping the lines is to go early in the morning. Don't be surprised when the store is full of assholes and long lines of retards when you go shopping on a saturday afternoon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:55:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I only like self checkout if I have a handful of items.  I hate it at sam's and walmart when I generally have a cart full.
View Quote
+1

Also I scour the clearance area for shit to flip on ebay , 80% of the time the cleared stuff rings up wrong
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:55:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The dipshit employees with their giant curbside carts blocking every isle are my latest frustration with grocery shopping. We buy too much fresh meat and produce to trust that shit
View Quote

In my experience, they do a great job of picking out produce. I think it’s due to probably getting called out on it so often.  

We don’t buy meat at a grocery store so no issues there but I can understand that one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I’ll use them to save time but heck yeah limit their usage to 10 items.  I’m talking like refusing to scan past 10 items completely.  If you got a buggy of shit go through the normal checkout line
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#34]
If I'm getting a handful of items I'll use the self checkout.  Usually the cart is packed and the base is loaded up also with 30# of dog food and 40# of salt for the water softener so I'll go to the cashier.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#35]
diversity is a thing
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Self checkout just isn't practical when you have a buggy full of groceries.  It's fine with a few bags full, but it gets ridiculous with a dozen bags trying to fit it all on the bagging area.  Also, the weight thing is a nightmare that way too often fails to work properly.  The cameras have to be calibrated so they don't freak out over you not scanning your kid sitting in the buggy.  That happens all the time and is good for a laugh.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:06:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Self checkout just isn't practical when you have a buggy full of groceries.  It's fine with a few bags full, but it gets ridiculous with a dozen bags trying to fit it all on the bagging area.  Also, the weight thing is a nightmare that way too often fails to work properly.  The cameras have to be calibrated so they don't freak out over you not scanning your kid sitting in the buggy.  That happens all the time and is good for a laugh.
View Quote

Buggy?  First time I’ve ever heard a shopping cart called a buggy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:14:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't listen Larry the Cable Guy much?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Nightmare?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:17:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
posters in here that sing the praises of self-check out also use self-gratification instead of sex with a real person.
View Quote

If I had to have sex with the average walmart cashier, yeah, sure
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep every time I go to Walmart this.  Plus stockers with pallets in the aisle in the middle of the day.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I hate anything but self checkout
In fact I refuse to use a checkout where I have to interact with another person
View Quote

Gzus...
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Self-checkout is fine assuming the person infront is a switched-on looking guy (with or without accompanying female).

If a single mom, or a young or old woman by themselves, find another line.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#44]
I LOVE self checkouts.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
At my supermarket over thanksgiving-Christmas they would have three or four cashier registers open, and half a dozen self checkouts.

The self checkouts were so busy and chaotic that they had to have a couple of employees helping boomers and retards operate the self checkout, and another couple of employees directing people to available self checkouts because they had long lines and people would actually argue and fight to be next in the fucked up line.

View Quote

How strange....I have seen employees have to help people besides boomers and retards and people from NY because of an item that won't scan or ringing up at a different price etc.
Roy
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#46]
a self checkout DG Store...

what insane, coke snorting MBA came up with that idea?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard it called a buggy here in the South a shitload of times.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:25:25 AM EDT
[#48]
If I have to buy anything at Home Depot that I know will be locked up like a tool or a battery, I just order it for pick up. It's usually ready in two hours and often times less than that when I get the text.  Don't order lumber that way because you will get every crooked 2x4 they have.  My local lumber yard is not better though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:25:31 AM EDT
[#49]
I like self check out but will go to a live person if there’s no wait. The best though is ordering online,showing up and having someone bring out my order and load it in the trunk for me five minutes or less after I get there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#50]
I would actually pay a little extra to self checkout. Screw waiting around on a cashier.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top