Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/25/2024 8:27:44 PM EDT
Was just on the local news.  7 people on the plane, passengers being treat on site.  

What blew me away was the report said the pilot parachuted out before the crash.  Personally, I wouldn't get in a plane if the pilot was wearing a chute.  I can't wait to get more info.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Pilot jumped but they're treating passengers?

So was it a jump plane? Link?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Did one of the remaining passengers fly it to the scene of the crash?

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The pilot jumped out? Whole lot of wtf on this one.. need a link
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#4]
WTF? Makes no sense. IB4 "pilot gets criminal charges" if he really did jump and leave others to deal with it, but that sounds wrong.

Maybe pilot deployed the aircraft chute?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Tagged.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Capn not going down with the ship.  so it just came down out of control.  

Tag for story
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Was the pilot a YouTuber perchance?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#11]
All of the passengers that went down on the crashed plane (after the pilot bailed out) were treated and released.  

...whole lotta questions.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Probably meant to say that the pilot deployed the onboard parachute attached to the airplane.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Pilot was found at a hangar cooking hamburgers (made up fact).   Stay on top of this because this is so odd.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I understood that reference
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#15]
that can’t be true wtf

ETA

I will never fly in a privately owned small aircraft unless it’s someone I personally know extremely well. People are fucking idiots. There’s a reason most mishaps are general aviation and it’s not because they are inherently less safe than commercial or business class aircraft.

Guys have the money to buy million dollar aircraft then wanna pinch pennies, complain and do shady shit when it comes to maintenance. “Omg that cost how much? Does it really need it? Is it required by law? Can you just fix the broke one? Can you just find a used one? Nah defer it. Only fix the minimum to get it signed off. Why are you looking for extra stuff just fix what I asked. Wow you are ripping me off.”

And those are just the ones that actually bring their aircraft to an A&P. Most of them do their own “maintenance” and only pay for the required stuff (annuals, etc).

General aviation is cool and the aircraft are really fun to work on but I will never go into that sector because so many of the owners are complete dumbasses. Plus, commercial pays 100x better for about 10% of the work load.

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Something about this story is kind of screwy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got a Taylorcraft  to take off with 7 people stuffed inside ?

If so, he just gained hero status just for that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
All of the passengers that went down on the crashed plane (after the pilot bailed out) were treated and released.  

View Quote

All it takes is one jumper to scream "I'm not going" a couple of times and the pilot has to demonstrate how it's done.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ridge wallet commercial?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Doesn't make sense, everyone survived and were released by EMS at the scene.

Pilot parachuted out and was at the hanger.

Sounds like the airplane had a chute the pilot deployed

Or the co pilot said you have a chute, get out and I will try and land the plane.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Is this normal damage for a plane that had a chute??
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Maybe pilot deployed the aircraft chute?
View Quote

My thoughts
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a single word of the article makes any sense.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494680/1000005310_jpg-3223490.JPG

Is this normal damage for a plane that had a chute??
View Quote

That is not damage consistent with survival.

Something is really off about this.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Here is the airport

Note the parachute by the airport.

Cessna 206 I believe can be a jump plane so the pilot jumping out could be true.  Also everyone else should have had a parachute but there could have been students.

This was on their website

14,000 Foot MSL - Turbine Cessna U206      $32.00 per person
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That is not damage consistent with survival.

Something is really off about this.
View Quote

Exactly. Everyone bailed and they were skydivers.

Fells like the article is a riddle and we have to figure out what actually occurred.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm gonna show up with a next flight review I'm hired to do

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Skydive Plane with 6 jumpers.  First jumper parachute got deployed and caught in the tail  Everyone including the pilot skydived out and is ok.  Got the news a couple hours ago from wife of one the skydivers on the plane.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Skydive Plane with 6 jumpers.  First jumper parachute got deployed and caught in the tail  Everyone including the pilot skydived out and is ok.  Got the news a couple hours ago from wife of one the skydivers on the plane.
View Quote

Thank you. As improbable as that is, it makes a lot more sense than the word salad in the OP.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thank you. As improbable as that is, it makes a lot more sense than the word salad in the OP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can happen.  Pilot chute handle gets snagged and pulled out of its pouch or closing pin dislodged and opened container.  If you see someones pilot chute or d-bag plop out in the aircraft with the door open you best be snatching it up or jumping on it and yell for the door to get closed.  If the door is open and anything comes out and the jumper is near the door the safest thing to do at that point is push the jumper out the door ASAP.  They can then handle whatever mal, if any, from their premature depolyment.

Proper closing loop length and maintenance and protecting your handles goes a long way to preventing a premature deployment.

Sounds like the jumper was in the doorway, on the step, or hanging from the wing strut when this accident occured.

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Rambo - I got hung up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Turbine 206.  I think it’s a conversion.

Not sure on the spotty story but I’m guessing everyone bailed out, not just the pilot.  Nobody would survive that.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I knew a sky dive pilot who had just dropped all his jumpers. He was to spiral down right over the field and land. He had an engine failure and he “bailed out.”  

The FAA found him at fault since he could’ve landed as he was directly above the airport. He’s a regional airline pilot now but is stuck there as no legacy airline will hire him with that on his record.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Turbine 206.  I think it’s a conversion.

Not sure on the spotty story but I’m guessing everyone bailed out, not just the pilot.  Nobody would survive that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_6673_jpeg-3223607.JPG
View Quote

Unlucky paint scheme?

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Was it a jump plane? Maybe the pilot said abandon ship and jumped and everyone else failed to get out?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Was it a jump plane? Maybe the pilot said abandon ship and jumped and everyone else failed to get out?
View Quote

Did you read the previous posts?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I knew a sky dive pilot who had just dropped all his jumpers. He was to spiral down right over the field and land. He had an engine failure and he "bailed out."  

The FAA found him at fault since he could've landed as he was directly above the airport. He's a regional airline pilot now but is stuck there as no legacy airline will hire him with that on his record.
View Quote

Bailed from a flyable airplane...., yep that's crazy.

Cessna Caravan Engine Failure - Dead Stick Landing

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:15:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:57:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:20:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It can happen.  Pilot chute handle gets snagged and pulled out of its pouch or closing pin dislodged and opened container.  If you see someones pilot chute or d-bag plop out in the aircraft with the door open you best be snatching it up or jumping on it and yell for the door to get closed.  If the door is open and anything comes out and the jumper is near the door the safest thing to do at that point is push the jumper out the door ASAP.  They can then handle whatever mal, if any, from their premature depolyment.

Proper closing loop length and maintenance and protecting your handles goes a long way to preventing a premature deployment.

Sounds like the jumper was in the doorway, on the step, or hanging from the wing strut when this accident occured.

View Quote

Greetings fellow Skydiving Enthusiast!  ??

Where do you jump/teach AFF?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

re: video

where the jumpers?  

they left!  

I've been in a DHC-4 / C-7 Caribou that lost an engine,
we were coming past the DZ and the pilot gave the option...
jump or take your chances landing.. (we were at a jump-safe altitude and took the option)

other cases for having a parachute while flying is Aerobatic aircraft (BTDT)
and IIRC, there are some classes of Experimental aircraft where it's required (?) (It's been a few min)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bailed from a flyable airplane...., yep that's crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk33A-yXa34

re: video

where the jumpers?  

they left!  

I've been in a DHC-4 / C-7 Caribou that lost an engine,
we were coming past the DZ and the pilot gave the option...
jump or take your chances landing.. (we were at a jump-safe altitude and took the option)

other cases for having a parachute while flying is Aerobatic aircraft (BTDT)
and IIRC, there are some classes of Experimental aircraft where it's required (?) (It's been a few min)

Heck yeah, let me out...  If between 1,000 and 2,000 ft and the plane breaks and your procedure is to go reserve you still need to buy beer that night?

Only time I... we have ever left earlier than expected was late winter, early spring and were jumping a Beech-18.  Several months on the ground during the winter (soft grass runways) so obviously the apprehension and adrenaline was going. One minute was reflecting on how damn cold it was going to be in freefall when noticing the glint of the ice crystals at around 7,000 ft on the way to 13,000.

At around 7 or 8 thousand the left engine sputtered and someone asked "Hey Rick (pilot) you want us out?"  No big deal getting out at that altitude except for those damn ice crystals stabbing you at 120 ish MPH

Landed in a jump plane only once, a CASA 212 when the pilot decided half way up that some storms moving in could be an issue.  In the back we decided to go with the head between the knees crash position just to mess with the pilot and co-pilot just for some laughs because how often do jump pilots land with nearly a 4,000 lb load full of jumpers....

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Many years ago I jumped a few times.

The scenarios you describe are terrifying.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Tag for this one !!!

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Awaiting the final report from the NTSB.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Awaiting the final report from the NTSB.
View Quote

Not needed.  Just need a factual statement from someone on the plane who knows what instigated the RUD (rapid unscheduled departure).
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#50]
From https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/388337:

Date:Saturday 25 May 2024
Time:c. 13:00 LT
Type:Cessna U206C Super Skywagon (PT6A-21 turbine)
Owner/operator:Aerial Transport LLC
MSN:U206-1140
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 7
Aircraft damage:Destroyed
Location:E of Butler Memorial Airport (BUM/KBUM), Butler, MO -    United States of America
Phase:Approach
Nature:Parachuting
Departure airport:Butler Airport, MO (BUM/KBUM)
Destination airport:Butler Airport, MO (BUM/KBUM)
Confidence Rating: Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources

Narrative:

A Cessna U206C Super Skywagon (Turbine Conversions Pratt Ltd Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-20 550 hp turbine conversion) experienced a Skydiver premature parachute deployment at 14,000 msl damaging the tail section. The pilot was able to parachute to safety after the six skydivers jumped out and the aircraft was destroyed. The plane crashed in a field east of Butler Memorial Airport (BUM/KBUM), Butler, Missouri. No injuries.

Sources:

https://www.kctv5.com/2024/05/25/seven-people-survive-plane-crash-near-butler-memorial-airport/
https://registry.faa.gov/AircraftInquiry/Search/NNumberResult?nNumberTxt=29173
https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/N29173/history/20240525/1725Z/KBUM/KBUM
https://photos.flightaware.com/photos/retriever/04ca2d6be5460d0138505d5f0b22bffbaabfdc7d (photo)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top