Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 71
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:
So over the past couple of weeks, which side has captured more ground?

Obviously the Russian offensive is on the verge of seizing some significantly important hubs.
View Quote

As of today, Ukraine has not acquired additional territory for some time but some attribute that to wanting to solidify previous gains, although Russia has recovered 2 towns in the last couple days. https://understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-september-1-2024

Link Posted: 9/1/2024 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

Thing is, onesey-twosie quantities don't mean anything in the war, it's a matter of scale. And, the rooskies don't have sufficient capacity to make them at scale, particularly when getting certain electronic parts is problematic. Also, from what I can tell, Ukraine is a somewhat rugged area with a lot of trees along with some areas that have undulating terrain. That means that a fiber-optic drone is going to be dragging that line across some unforgiving terrain vs a direct LOS helo-launched missile. There's always tradeoffs in any kind of aircraft design. It's not clear to me this is a good one.
View Quote

I’ll leave that to Daemon734 and others more knowledgeable on the subject than I to address
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
So how much will our next payment be to Ukraine I’m sure Zelenskyy will have the hat out in another 6 months to a year , it’s getting tiresome this war needs to stop .
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cranberry1:
So how much will our next payment be to Ukraine I’m sure Zelenskyy will have the hat out in another 6 months to a year , it’s getting tiresome this war needs to stop .
View Quote

The war could have been stopped in 2022 if everybody hadn't been so cautious and hesitant to send any military aid. No Bradleys were delivered until 2023, AFTER the Surovikin line was built. AFU has been getting GREAT results with Brads. That's just one piece. Getting 200K Russians out of Ukraine in 2022 was doable, given enough aid. Getting 700K out from well-defended lines in 2023-2024 is not doable without massive air support.

Bottom line, if you want the war over, you want to maximize aid to Ukraine - as much as possible, as fast as possible. Unless you want the war to end with Russian victory, which is also an option. It's bad for America in geopolitical situations all over the world going forward, but it is an option.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Ukraine lost that war when it began.  They should have never listened to the idiots in the U.S. and British governments.  We gave them bad advice and oversold our ability to help.

We can keep sending equipment and money to Ukraine but it will never enable them to win, they are simply outnumbered and out gunned.  Their only chance of winning would have been an unconventional war that moved in to Russian territory.

As a conventional war, there is zero chance of them "winning", the only viable option is for them to negotiate a peace treaty that they can live with.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#8]
So how much will our next payment be to Ukraine I'm sure Zelenskyy will have the hat out in another 6 months to a year , it's getting tiresome this war needs to stop .
View Quote
I heard that we were gonna send him some Chase Bank ATM cards.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:21:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

The war could have been stopped in 2022 if everybody hadn't been so cautious and hesitant to send any military aid. No Bradleys were delivered until 2023, AFTER the Surovikin line was built. AFU has been getting GREAT results with Brads. That's just one piece. Getting 200K Russians out of Ukraine in 2022 was doable, given enough aid. Getting 700K out from well-defended lines in 2023-2024 is not doable without massive air support.

Bottom line, if you want the war over, you want to maximize aid to Ukraine - as much as possible, as fast as possible. Unless you want the war to end with Russian victory, which is also an option. It's bad for America in geopolitical situations all over the world going forward, but it is an option.
View Quote
Yeah the brads ended up being a pretty impressive vehicle. For all the drama early on they kicked some ass in GW1 and have been effective in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:44:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MontMac:
Ukraine lost that war when it began.  They should have never listened to the idiots in the U.S. and British governments.  We gave them bad advice and oversold our ability to help.

We can keep sending equipment and money to Ukraine but it will never enable them to win, they are simply outnumbered and out gunned.  Their only chance of winning would have been an unconventional war that moved in to Russian territory.

As a conventional war, there is zero chance of them "winning", the only viable option is for them to negotiate a peace treaty that they can live with.
View Quote

Nonsense. If we chose to do so, we could equip Ukraine enough to kick the Russians completely out of all of Ukraine and then some. We aren't doing that and haven't done that because of profoundly weak squatters in the WH.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:54:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xd341] [#12]

Nonsense. If we chose to do so, we could equip Ukraine enough to kick the Russians completely out of all of Ukraine and then some. We aren't doing that and haven't done that because of profoundly weak squatters in the WH.
View Quote
I don't know if the first sentence is true, but the second certainly is.  We might have to use our own airpower at least.  Asking Ukraine to forget 60 years of doing something one way, and adopt the doctrine our weapon systems were designed to operate under is a tall order, especially while being invaded. That's a generational task.

They lack the logistical infrastructure to even adopt all the equipment that makes our doctrine viable, at least in any reasonable time frame

Link Posted: 9/2/2024 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Our scrap equipment as it has been for the last two years
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 1:14:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Moondog:

Amusing that the 3 day "special military operation" is getting close to 1000 days.
View Quote

They even declared victory on day 2.

My personal favorite was the “collapse of the Kievan junta in the next 6 months, all the Navi dogs can hope for is a strip of land next to Poland”.

Followed later by “Ukraine will be defeated by the fall of 2023”. The poster back tracked and said because hot dog man’s revolt happened it didn’t count anymore
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 1:26:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 1:26:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Gudabeg:

Our scrap equipment as it has been for the last two years
View Quote
That's bullshit.

Patriots and 155 shells and himars launchers and brads and  M1s we had to re-manufacture to the export standard aren't scrap equipment.  Some stuff was old inventory we would have paid to dispose of, and that's great, but billions worth was good front line gear. Which I don't have a huge problem with if we train them and they use it wisely.

But we need to be honest about the situation..
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 1:28:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By xd341:
That's bullshit.

Patriots and 155 shells and himars launchers and brads and  M1s we had to re-manufacture to the export standard aren't scrap equipment.  Some stuff was old inventory we would have paid to dispose of, and that's great, but billions worth was good front line gear. Which I don't have a huge problem with if we train them and they use it wisely.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 1:53:52 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I guess it depends on your definition of winning.  Of course Ukraine isn't strong enough to beat up Russia like Germany did.  Consider though the selfish reasons the US might have to continue supporting Ukraine.  For a small portion of our yearly defense spending, we get to watch the Russian army get chewed up and their economy damaged.  We also get valuable wartime experience for a major power type war, which is different from our experience in Iraq/Afghanistan.  Ukraine and Russia will grind each other down until eventually a ceasefire is signed, probably along current front lines.  The US will not be worse off after this war.  Russia is one of our main enemies and they are unlikely to be a threat for a while.  I don't think Putin will be itching to take on a NATO country after his army got chewed up by a minor power.  

The US supported the Afghans when the Soviet Union invaded and it was one of the main reasons the Soviet Union collapsed.  Russia screwed up by invading Ukraine so the US and our allies are making sure it is going to hurt as much as possible without provoking a direct conflict.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2024 4:01:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 4:13:45 AM EDT
[#20]
That's bullshit.

View Quote

He knows that, he's just downright lying at this point.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Ehh...I guess. 97.8% chance this ends with a negotiation at some point.  Having a better position for those negotiations is a worthy cause, if he wants to make an argument that at least makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Ehh...I guess. 97.8% chance this ends with a negotiation at some point.  Having a better position for those negotiations is a worthy cause, if he wants to make an argument that at least makes sense.
View Quote

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/ukraine/ukraines-gamble

Link Posted: 9/2/2024 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Ukraine/Zelensky told the US to stay out of it a few time before it really got started.  

Maybe it was just for a show.

Link Posted: 9/2/2024 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DouglasQuaid:

I guess it depends on your definition of winning.  Of course Ukraine isn't strong enough to beat up Russia like Germany did.  Consider though the selfish reasons the US might have to continue supporting Ukraine.  For a small portion of our yearly defense spending, we get to watch the Russian army get chewed up and their economy damaged.  We also get valuable wartime experience for a major power type war, which is different from our experience in Iraq/Afghanistan.  Ukraine and Russia will grind each other down until eventually a ceasefire is signed, probably along current front lines.  The US will not be worse off after this war.  Russia is one of our main enemies and they are unlikely to be a threat for a while.  I don't think Putin will be itching to take on a NATO country after his army got chewed up by a minor power.  

The US supported the Afghans when the Soviet Union invaded and it was one of the main reasons the Soviet Union collapsed.  Russia screwed up by invading Ukraine so the US and our allies are making sure it is going to hurt as much as possible without provoking a direct conflict.  

View Quote

Russia's economy is fueled by energy production and foreign arms sales.

The poor performance of Russian weapons systems will hurt their foreign sales for years (if they even have the ability/capacity).

What country would choose to spend money on a Russian S400 system that can't even defend itself from 30 year old missiles and drones instead of a Patriot system.

This has become a great testing laboratory for weapons systems, and our weapons utilizing technology from 30 years ago is defeating "state of the art" Russian equipment.

Most of our defense companies are receiving foreign orders that will keep them busy for years.

Oil and gas exports are/will be problematic going forward too. The longer this conflict continues, the deeper the hole get's for Russia.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Wow, was just saying that one of the goals could be to "Trump proof" the ukraine war. By scuttling negotiations a few months before the incoming Trump admin. Besides the "Make putin look bad" (PR/media victory) angle
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Как скажешь товарищ.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 11:51:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#29]

Imagine being that school kid in Siberia and meeting the guy who is ensuring that your future is bleak. A future possibly more bleak than your ancestors; who are mostly known for their dying and suffering due to their horrible government.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Imagine being that school kid in Siberia and meeting the guy who is ensuring that your future is bleak. A future possibly more bleak than your ancestors; who are mostly known for their dying and suffering due to their horrible government.
View Quote

Yeah, I’m surprised vodka bottles weren’t being passed out during that pep talk
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

I am John Smith of Warmwater Port, Texas Oblast, and I agree.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

It's good to get a reminder about how lucky we were to be born here, when we were. A Republic, if you can keep it!
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

If you want to go down the route of the least effective way to employ US equipment.

Sure.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#35]
That's bullshit.

View Quote

This,  some export monkey models.  But much of the stuff is from our own frontline stores.

There is a reason no more long range missiles.  We dont have any left beyond whats the minimum supply.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

I don't know what thread you were reading, but I scanned through the thread and didn't find a smoking gun. Yes, there were some people who mentioned a coup d'etat due to him undergoing a serious surgery, but no one implied that he didn't have complete control of the country.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:

Found this example on google, check the comments here from April 2022. Putin had cancer, parkinsons, and was going to be couped literally any day.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Putin-to-have-colon-cancer-surgery-will-be-incapacitated-for-a-while/5-2549315/?page=1

I don't know what thread you were reading, but I scanned through the thread and didn't find a smoking gun. Yes, there were some people who mentioned a coup d'etat due to him undergoing a serious surgery, but no one implied that he didn't have complete control of the country.

I definitely remember the sentiment he is talking about. There was a time period where a lot of people were saying and thinking "Putin has to cut a deal or give up, because he is losing and a lot of Russian Soldiers are dying, the Russian people won't put up with this, someone will overthrow him." If I recall correctly, this thinking was pretty prevalent in mid 2022 to early 2023. I don't remember if it was often discussed here, but it was in the media and social media for sure. These sentiments seemed to reach their crescendo with Prigozhin’s Wagner rebellion. My theory on that is that it is 50/50 that was a failed CIA Operation.

The idea of a coup that overthrows Putin, is a pretty logical theory from a Western mindset. The problem is, that's a huge assumption when applied to the very different Russian mindset. The truth is, that it's very hard for Westerners to understand Russian culture, society, mindset and thinking. Their existence is way different than ours, and has been for a long time. I've read a fair bit of it, even the so called professional intelligence is often fundamentally wrong.

Prior to the big Ukraine invasion, I remember frequently hearing from both professionals and amateurs that the Oligarchs really run Russia and have all the power. Putin is just a figure head with little or no power they said. He is a puppet of the Oligarchs they said. When that theory was tested, all the big bad Oligarchs who dared to speak or think differently ran away, went to prison, or threw themselves out of windows.

It's ok to admit that we don't really know shit about these people. Just like we don't know shit about the middle east. Pretending we are puppet master of foreign societies has been nothing but giant hubris that has gotten the US in a lot of trouble.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#37]

I definitely remember the sentiment he is talking about. There was a time period where a lot of people were saying and thinking "Putin has to cut a deal or give up, because he is losing and a lot of Russian Soldiers are dying, the Russian people won't put up with this, someone will overthrow him." If I recall correctly, this thinking was pretty prevalent in mid 2022 to early 2023. I don't remember if it was often discussed here, but it was in the media and social media for sure. These sentiments seemed to reach their crescendo with Prigozhin's Wagner rebellion. My theory on that is that it is 50/50 that was a failed CIA Operation.

The idea of a coup that overthrows Putin, is a pretty logical theory from a Western mindset. The problem is, that's a huge assumption when applied to the very different Russian mindset. The truth is, that it's very hard for Westerners to understand Russian culture, society, mindset and thinking. Their existence is way different than ours, and has been for a long time. I've read a fair bit of it, even the so called professional intelligence is often fundamentally wrong.

Prior to the big Ukraine invasion, I remember frequently hearing from both professionals and amateurs that the Oligarchs really run Russia and have all the power. Putin is just a figure head with little or no power they said. He is a puppet of the Oligarchs they said. When that theory was tested, all the big bad Oligarchs who dared to speak or think differently ran away, went to prison, or threw themselves out of windows.

It's ok to admit that we don't really know shit about these people. Just like we don't know shit about the middle east. Pretending we are puppet master of foreign societies has been nothing but giant hubris that has gotten the US in a lot of trouble.
View Quote
It's a role we've held since WW2.  If the world model (order) is to continue in its current form, someone will need to fill that role.

That being said yes, we meddle more than anyone and it often causes enough trouble that the American people notice.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#39]

I definitely remember the sentiment he is talking about. There was a time period where a lot of people were saying and thinking "Putin has to cut a deal or give up, because he is losing and a lot of Russian Soldiers are dying, the Russian people won't put up with this, someone will overthrow him." If I recall correctly, this thinking was pretty prevalent in mid 2022 to early 2023. I don't remember if it was often discussed here, but it was in the media and social media for sure. These sentiments seemed to reach their crescendo with Prigozhin's Wagner rebellion. My theory on that is that it is 50/50 that was a failed CIA Operation.

View Quote
Putin is like Kim Jon UN, nobody is replacing him until he is dead.

Link Posted: 9/2/2024 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#40]

I don't disagree with anything you said; my response was specifically for that poster based on his implications and previous posting habits.
View All Quotes

I don't disagree with anything you said; my response was specifically for that poster based on his implications and previous posting habits.

I understand that, and my response was more just what popped into my head on the topic at hand and meant more as a general discussion piece.

Because the logical question is what is the endgame? And the answers given so far leave a lot to be desired. It seems Ukraine is incapable of outright military victory, and it looks like Putin is going nowhere. That leaves us negotiating with a lying dicatator who has a propensity to invade his neighbors.

Sometimes there are only bad options. I can't help but think that if we had people who were not clowns in charge of the Pentagon and in key positions in the WH, this could have gone a lot better than just half assed reacting to everything after it happens. But alas stolen elections have consequences.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:

Well like I said before, I know just enough about these people to know that I don't know shit. But based off of what we have seen, it looks like you are probably right. Making predictions about this is a quick way to make a fool of yourself.

"Russia is never as strong as she appears, or weak as she seems" -old proverb
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 2:39:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 56xdx_Z] [#42]

View Quote

Putin seems to have dealt with the oligarchs like stories such as emperor Sung after the Han dynasty. They were allowed to keep their fortunes and retire or continue running business, but if they became the slightest problem for him, they would get made an example of individually. He remarked one time that they were just asked to keep their fortunes inside Russia. And  that the ones who fled to london etc eventually got their wealth frozen under sanctions anyway

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/2/2024 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#47]

The fact that the enemy attack is somewhat successful does not delegitimize a separate successful counter-attack.

Assuming that using the same units instead as a defensive reserve, would have worked, is foolish as well.  

You generally don't improve your position by playing defense all the time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 5:35:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#49]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Ass I've said many times before: the odds are certainly stacked deep against Ukraine, but it's not hopeless for them yet. Putin does have vulnerabilities, albeit small. The endgame is pretty self explanatory for both sides.
View Quote
Ass you've said?  why?  
Page / 71
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top