Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Why did rock 'n roll... (Page 2 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I still like to hear new stuff. If there is a new band with a catchy tune being played I will buy their cd. One time the cd came mailed to me hand addressed by the bass player. The receipt inside said that I was order number 67. A big problem now days is a band will make a cd and the only song on the thing even remotely worth listening to is the one already getting airplay. The rest are just filler trash. I miss the days when an entire album was good.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Much truth in this song.

We used to have ugly people making beautiful music

Now we have beautiful people making ugly music.

Video Killed The Radio Star
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The world always moves on.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I blame it all on Nickelback and related bands...

Almost like rock went through a " bubble gum" phase like pop in the late 60s and early 70s
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Solo_:
I'm still a professional in the guitar industry.

The are two reasons, mostly - one is that the guitar is truly hard. To play it (and record it) well, it's hard (as most instruments).

Computers, keyboards, beats, quantizing, loops... way easier.
So that is definitely one of the reasons - the other one probably consequential - people didn't choose Rock 'N Roll anymore to make it their rebel, rebellious, breaking the rules, changing the system genre of music.

Rap came along for that - more easily, less work, a microphone and beats and your protest is represented.

Rock 'N Roll - in short - isn't rebellious enough anymore.
It may come back - everything comes back at some point.

But it's just not now.

Solo, of solodallas.com
View Quote

love seeing analog gear being well represented.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Because 90s grunge shit wrecked the most awesome decade of rock ever. Nothing will ever be as good as what was produced in the 80s.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#7]
It's funny hearing the comments about rap music being easy to produce. It's true in a sense; I've done a few shitty rap show recently, but I recently did a show with Juvenile, and he had a full live band that was awesome. The whole show was off the chain.

Apparently he just did one of those NPR Tiny Desk things, and it went so well that he decided to take it on the road.

It was probably the best live rap show I've ever done. His band was badass. Super cool guys, very chill, courteous, and professional.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:35:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pioneer1] [#8]
Check out 'The Warning' for some modern rock n roll that is on the verge of becoming big-time.

It's 3 super talented young girls from Mexico. They have been at it since they were grade school age and have matured into serious young women who really rock.

https://youtu.be/lPLM7z-av7g?feature=shared

https://youtu.be/K8VPX-diRl4?feature=shared
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CzechMate5:
Because 90s grunge shit wrecked the most awesome decade of rock ever. Nothing will ever be as good as what was produced in the 80s.
View Quote

This is the truth.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

There was a lot of good music in the 80s, but you're delusional if you don't admit mainstream 80s was gayer than cum on a mustache.

Remember when dimebag Darrell was Diamond Darrell? Glam rock is much worse than grunge.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Happy_Hour_Hero:

There was a lot of good music in the 80s, but you're delusional if you don't admit mainstream 80s was gayer than cum on a mustache.

Remember when dimebag Darrell was Diamond Darrell? Glam rock is much worse than grunge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Happy_Hour_Hero:

Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:47:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDiggler] [#13]
I think when you could start to buy individual songs, not just single releases or entire albums, that put a huge dent into bands' creativity and fun.

Think about all those quirky little things that bands used to sprinkle through their albums. Kind of like filler, but at least they were different.

Now, instead of having to fill an album that already has a couple hits on it with fun filler material, studio and development time has become important for EVERY song that's recorded.

That means every song goes through the more commercialized corporate filters, to a greater extent than they did back then. Which of course stifles creativity and makes the whole thing more boring.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Ever been in the supermarket and heard AC/DC, G&R, or Ozzy playing?

So do kids. They don’t want to listen to the stuff their parents and grandparents listen to. To them, the new stuff sounds just like the old stuff. It’s old people music.

They grow out of it, but it’s not enough to drive radio play.

That, and Clearchannel sucks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:48:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HungLo] [#15]
There will never be any more giants of Rock N Roll again.

I'm not a big Guns N Roses fan, but they were the last big deal rock band. (And Use Your Illusion I & II don't count cause they suck.) So about 1987 is when the wheels fell off rock n roll. Maybe throw Metallica in there too, but they started out as more of a thrash band.

I know the yungins will be along to post how their fav band, like Satan's Diarrhea Rape Vomit is the greatest band ever to strap on a BC Rich Executioner super pointy 7 string, drop C tuning mega axe. But they ain't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Degenerate hip hop is pushed on kids for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:52:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#17]
"The day the music died" was the start of the R&R decline. The British invasion hastened it along.

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By thawntex:
It's a half truth. There is still a lot of country music that is being made organically, and in places other than Nashville.

There's some good music coming out of Oklahoma right now. Guys like Josh Meloy are making names for themselves.

I do live sound in a 1,000 cap venue, and I'm occasionally surprised by some of these bands that seem to come out of nowhere. I'll go into work having no idea what I'm facing, and then be blown away by some band I hadn't heard of until that day.

It's gets repeated a bazillion times on this forum, but never seems to sink in with some people. If you're tapping mainstream sources you're going to get processed, formulaic crap from Nashville. If you want something different and raw, something made by creative people who are passionate about their craft, you have to tune that shit out, get your boots on, and go out to a small venue.
View Quote

Good point, my father really enjoyed the music scene in Eugene Oregon in the late 90s to early 2000s.

He changed and not in a good way when he stopped going to concerts by bands that I or anyone else would ever hear of.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:
View Quote
Yes, yes it is.

The same way degenerate 80s rock was pushed on me when I was a kid via MTV.

Shit was depraved as fuck, and I would've been better off had I not taken in a lot of that crap.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:00:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RayFromJersey] [#20]
Have you payed attention to how rock bands are treated these days? Look at what happened to Greta Van Fleet. Excellent music drowned out by "real" classic rock fans claiming they're copycats.

Dirty Honey, Rival Sons, Highly Suspect, Royal Blood, Dorothy, Wolfmother.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, yes it is.

Shit was depraved as fuck, and I would've been better off had I not taken in a lot of that crap.
View Quote

I remember the first time I heard the Sgt. Pepper album, spent the rest of 3rd grade chasing down LSD...
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Cultural entropy is a thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
Have you payed attention to how rock bands are treated these days? Look at what happened to Greta Van Fleet. Excellent music drowned out by "real" classic rock fans claiming they're copycats.

View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Rock n Roll died at Woodstock '99.  It was dying already but it was murdered there.

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:11:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#26]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Seem to fall off the face of the earth towards the end if the nineties?  Of course, it's still there, and there are still new great bands making music, but you won't hear it on mainstream radio anymore.  It's all "pop cuntry" and hip-hop sounding garbage.  WTF happened?  They said it would never die, but, for all intents and purposes, it did.
View Quote

Simple. They don’t write rock songs like that anymore.

You’ve got unintelligible rap-shit, Katy Perry-style rant songs, or the “new”/Woke country stuff.

Greg Kihn Band- "Breakup Song" 1981 [Reelin' In The Years Archives]
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, yes it is.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:
Yes, yes it is.

Unfortunately, it’s what most people wanted to hear. People like to romanticize their decade of youth, but mainstream always sucked.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm just here to congratulate OP for correctly using "for all intents and purposes".
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:14:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AbleArcher] [#29]
The youtube algorithm pushed King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard to me last night. It's been fun to discover.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
I heard someone explain this on a podcast recently.

By the 90s all possible variations were played out. Nothing more to be done.
View Quote

This is what I’ve felt for a white
What we’re hearing now is mediocre formulas

Never has new music been so boring and predictable

If you think R&R is bad, have you listened to any modern country, pop or even Christian music lately?
Irritatingly bad
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Am I crazy to have a hunch that the "woke" agenda (or at least the beginnings of it) might have had a bit to do with it?  Rock music wasn't "diverse enough"?  I'm probably nuts, but it would make perfect sense.
View Quote

I knew there was a reason why Glenn Miller isn't popular anymore. Thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:18:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArrowheadBulldog] [#32]

View Quote

Yep. Definitely still some great newer/middle aged bands producing great rock n roll. I saw GVF live on their first album tour, and they were incredible, it’s a shame they caught so much flak for being “copycats”.

I’ll add Queens of the Stone Age and Cage the Elephant to your list as well. Both put out great albums in the last year or so, and both were kick ass live on their latest tours.

Overall, rock n roll FM radio is the only thing that’s dead in most places. My area only has one classic rock channel that’s been playing the same 150ish song rotation of 60’s-80’s hits for the last 30 years on repeat. The local hard rock station died about a decade ago now. No station that’ll play newer rock whatsoever. But, that doesn’t mean it’s not still being produced, you just have to look for it yourself. I use Spotify premium and start a “radio” playlist off a random song I like, and it’ll show me random related stuff, which keeps things fresh.

Edit: it also goes in generations in my opinion. Hip hop kids seem to be the offspring of disco parents. I’m everything rock and roll and I’m the offspring of classic rock parents. My two little ones are being mostly exposed to my favorite rock music, and my 2.5yo has favorite songs picked out already. Every time we’re in the car I have to play her song and my song back to back. I’m gonna do my best to keep that going, like my dad and I bonded over classic rock.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:
I knew there was a reason why Glenn Miller isn't popular anymore. Thanks for clearing that up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
Kids don't listen to it. I'm in my mid 40s and a lot of people my age don't listen to it either. Hip hop/R&B became the go to along with top 40.

The more obscure the genre the less common it becomes. I was raised listening to it and do, my older sister does not. My younger sister does.

My kids friends parents, who are younger than me by a bit, all listen to hickhop, hip hop and R&B.
View Quote

Kids at work wear Nirvana shirts, don't listen to Nirvana. It's like when I was a kid and other kids wore Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath shirts but didn't listen to them. Maybe a handful did.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#36]
The best has already been done.
Why even bother??
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I was just listening to them yesterday. People should also check out Crown Lands. (especially if you like Rush)
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Seem to fall off the face of the earth towards the end if the nineties?  Of course, it's still there, and there are still new great bands making music, but you won't hear it on mainstream radio anymore.  It's all "pop cuntry" and hip-hop sounding garbage.  WTF happened?  They said it would never die, but, for all intents and purposes, it did.
View Quote
The powers that be love to drive home the same messaging (drink, fuck, date, party, flaunt your shit, cry about it, "hustle," etc.) but in different flavors.

These two just happen to be the two flavors that are commonly accepted currently.

90's music was a decade of very unique music. I don't think it'll ever be repeated. Maybe Napster, et. al were more influential than we thought? The decade had more "one-hit-wonders" than any other decade, and genre's were all over the place. "Messaging" and target audience were all over the freakin' place. The 90's were truly a fantastic decade for so many reasons, this is just one of them.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Just because it's not the "in" thing to listen to doesn't mean it's dead.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#40]
If you’ve watched any movies in the last few years, quite a few are using classic rock in the soundtrack.

But yes, it would be nice to have a station that played new artists that actually play rock music.

I’ve been to a few concerts of the old rock greats and they frequently find young bands that play music that sounds suspiciously like rock.
But I’ve never heard any of these new groups on the radio.

Chattanooga has a classic rock station that I quit listening to.
Seems like they only had about 300 songs in their online library.
If I have it on while I’m working, it will start to repeat songs after a couple of hours.
They’ve added the Metallica song Enter Sandman from Stranger Things to try to attract a younger audience.
They play it several times a day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Im sure its way more complicated than this , or maybe not . My perspective looking back ? Nirvana appeared on the scene and everything shifted almost overnight.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#42]
The country music thread gave me a little insight.  People like Garth Brooks and BRC started moving country into the pop realm (unfortunately) and no doubt that had at least some influence on rock’s demise.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Radio sells ads to operate. To sell ads you need listeners. Since streaming and satellite exists, radio listeners are mostly poors. Poors listen to garbage music.

My theory anyway
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:16:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glck1911] [#44]
Probably been mentioned, but I think a big problem is that the fan base and critics are full of gate keepers.

Anything "knew" is branded as "not real Rock". If a specific band tries something knew they are a "sellout".  Everyone basically just wants the same shit they heard in their youth.

All that being said, there is still a lot of great music out there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Still plenty of guys making their own flavor.

FLIGHTLINE WALK AWAY MUSIC VIDEO
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Rock encompasses so many different sounds under the umbrella and for whatever reason every iteration has gatekeepers who insist their favorite sound is the only *real* and *good* sound and the rest are all crap.  Here we go with the divide but no conquer where each subgenre gets smaller and more niche trying to appeal to the core fans but effectively speeding up its own decline due to lack of innovation, evolution, and broad appeal.  

My favorite band is my favorite band because they bring every single genre together, constantly mix up song structure, and you never, ever know what to expect when they release something which keeps interest high and people engaged.  As such, they manage to appeal to damn near everyone in some way so they have people who were strictly into rap now listening to metal, people who were strictly into metal now listening to rap, people who are interested in good, technical instrumentation now enjoying synths and hip hop beats, people who are into synths and hip hop beats now appreciating good, technical instrumentation, etc.  

Some people see this as diluting/ruining what they see as *good* music in their preferred genre while others see it as garnering new/renewed interest and driving more people to explore further into that genre which spurs growth.  

I say let the classics stay classics and give me something new and interesting to enjoy.  Occasionally I'll try to listen to some of the music I grew up on or used to enjoy even just a few years ago and it makes my skin crawl.  It's so boring and stagnant and....flaccid.  

Our local rock station is what I used to listen to in my car all the time so it's still set to that as the default preset but I only stream now as I drive.  The SYNC in my car is going out so it will randomly drop my connection and the rock station cuts in and I get so pissed.  I can almost guarantee you that it'll be either Guns N Roses, Poison, Pink Floyd, or Red Hot Chili Peppers.  It is not labeled as a classic rock station.  But to instantly go from the high energy, all-encompassing, expertly produced sound to that old, boring, quiet, sounds-like-it-was-made-in-somebody's-garage crap makes me rage.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:
Probably been mentioned, but I think a big problem is that the fan base and critics are full of gate keepers.

Anything "knew" is branded as "not real Rock". If a specific band tries something knew they are a "sellout".  Everyone basically just wants the same shit they heard in their youth.

All that being said, there is still a lot of great music out there.
View Quote

Took me so long to finish typing you beat me to it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Pioneer1:
Check out 'The Warning' for some modern rock n roll that is on the verge of becoming big-time.

It's 3 super talented young girls from Mexico. They have been at it since they were grade school age and have matured into serious young women who really rock.

https://youtu.be/lPLM7z-av7g?feature=shared

https://youtu.be/K8VPX-diRl4?feature=shared
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By davekd7ds:
Modern studio & recording electronics have made it easier to manufacture trash music without the benefit of talent. One used to have to be proficient at playing an instrument or carrying a vocal tune.  
View Quote

This. Electronics has taken the place of real musicianship. Whatever "talent" is easier to promote. Point in case, Tay Tay.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#50]

That's good.  My kids (teen daughters) cover their ears when they hear a distorted electric guitar.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
Kids don't listen to it. I'm in my mid 40s and a lot of people my age don't listen to it either. Hip hop/R&B became the go to along with top 40.

The more obscure the genre the less common it becomes. I was raised listening to it and do, my older sister does not. My younger sister does.

My kids friends parents, who are younger than me by a bit, all listen to hickhop, hip hop and R&B.
Yes they do. Kids also sing and play guitar, drums, bass, and keyboards.

Places like School of Rock wouldn't exist if they didn't. A couple of weeks ago I sat behind the mixing board for an entire day of kids playing rock music. Some of them were really good, too.

That's good.  My kids (teen daughters) cover their ears when they hear a distorted electric guitar.

My son plays in multiple metal and post-hardcore bands so I'm around at lot of 18-22 year old musicians since we have a "band room" and they all seem to love the 80s-90s hard rock, grunge and metal stuff.
Page / 6
Why did rock 'n roll... (Page 2 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top