BCM
User Panel

Poison Ivy (Page 2 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By David0858:

My sister ended up in the ER once and almost another time when she was a kid just from being down wind of yard debris with it in it burning .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By David0858:
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
Originally Posted By boolzi:
Man, I’m 52 and don’t get it, never have. I was cutting a dirtbike trail yesterday to extend my Mx track down a hill through the woods just swinging a machete and yanking big vines bare handed. My kid can look at it and get blistered.

Poison ivy “ off gasses “, it can actually infect people with itching / blisters without actual physical contact.

My sister ended up in the ER once and almost another time when she was a kid just from being down wind of yard debris with it in it burning .

Yup, it will become “ airborne “ more or less when burned, sorta turns it into a bio weapon. Like tear gas with delayed reaction. IIRC people have died like that, standing next to bonfires filled with ivy vines, swelled their throat closed.

Yup.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35703240/#:~:text=Here%2C%20we%20present%202%20unrelated,caused%20or%20contributed%20to%20death.

Urushiol, the active antigen in poison ivy ( Toxicodendron radicans ), is frequently associated with type I and type III hypersensitivity reactions. These reactions most often result in cutaneous symptoms that vary in severity and may at times require medical interventions. Injuries involving other body systems associated with urushiol exposure are far less common. Here, we present 2 unrelated cases of urushiol respiratory exposure status after burning of poison ivy that resulted in cardiopulmonary arrest and ultimately death. In both cases, the history, circumstances, and autopsy findings are consistent with urushiol smoke inhalation having either caused or contributed to death. The cases are unique in that they represent the first cases of death related to poison ivy smoke exposure. Clinicians and forensic pathologists should be aware of the fact that urushiol smoke exposure may lead to morbidity and mortality.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By daytec113:
always heard  Clorox. Be brave.
View Quote

That worked for me the first time but it burns like hell. The second time I got it I had to go see the doctor for a shot. Doc said that once you break out from it that it will get worst and worst every time from now on. I use to be able to roll around in it and have no problems now I just looked at it and get a rash
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Run hot water on affected area…don’t burn yourself though…for a minute or 2…won’t itch for 6 or more hours…repeat.
Trust me it really works.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Dawn dish soap to clean the affected area.

Clean any clothes you were wearing that came in contact.

Benadryl for the itching.

If it is really bad, go to the doc and get a cortisone shot.

That will clear it up in three days.

I once had it so bad I looked like the Leper King from Kingdom of Heaven.

I had gotten it on my hands, then I had put sun block lotion on my head.

The two solutions mixed and my entire bald head was covered in poison ivy from the neck up.

It was horrible for about a week.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:33:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rw66] [#5]
This is the answer!

I'm 58 and have dealt with the ivy my whole life. Heck, I once got it on my face sled riding in the middle of winter!  If you have blisters, pop them then immediately soak with bleach and wash with hot soapy water.  It hurts like an MFer for a few minute but the next day it's dry and flakey, then gone...

Bleach water.  

Iv seen horrifically bad poison ivy rash’s with blisters, weeping, crazy itching…. Totally dried up with zero itching within 24 hours. Iv treated myself many times, works amazingly well, and best of all…. CHEAP and easy. Walk into your laundry room…. Vs dr appointments and expensive shots / creams, etc.

In basic training a kid had it really bad, thighs, balls, hands, arms, blisters, itching was horrible.  They told him if it didn’t get better soon, they were recycling him.  That night I saw him putting pure bleach soaked wash cloths on the spots, next day those ivy blisters were flaking off, itching gone, massive relief.

I once got it on my foot, in summer, and I had to wear boots in a 110*+ factory in July. It was dime sized in morning, covering my entire foot by dinner, itching was insane. Suffering, massive.

I took a 5 gallon bucket, filled it with hot water, added a bunch of bleach and stuck my foot in. Hot water felt great. Kept in it as long as I could stand it, which was maybe 30 minutes. Took my foot out, all the hair was gone foot to knee … and so was the itching ! Next day foot was good as new.  It’s extremely effective for ivy rashes, cheap as shit, very easy to get, even in remote areas, as every mom n pop has bleach.

Hot shower feels amazing on itchy ivy rashes you can’t physically scratch. Omg feels so good !
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Scalding hot water for me
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Bleach water.  

Iv seen horrifically bad poison ivy rash's with blisters, weeping, crazy itching . Totally dried up with zero itching within 24 hours. Iv treated myself many times, works amazingly well, and best of all . CHEAP and easy. Walk into your laundry room . Vs dr appointments and expensive shots / creams, etc.

In basic training a kid had it really bad, thighs, balls, hands, arms, blisters, itching was horrible.  They told him if it didn't get better soon, they were recycling him.  That night I saw him putting pure bleach soaked wash cloths on the spots, next day those ivy blisters were flaking off, itching gone, massive relief.

I once got it on my foot, in summer, and I had to wear boots in a 110*+ factory in July. It was dime sized in morning, covering my entire foot by dinner, itching was insane. Suffering, massive.

I took a 5 gallon bucket, filled it with hot water, added a bunch of bleach and stuck my foot in. Hot water felt great. Kept in it as long as I could stand it, which was maybe 30 minutes. Took my foot out, all the hair was gone foot to knee  and so was the itching ! Next day foot was good as new.  It's extremely effective for ivy rashes, cheap as shit, very easy to get, even in remote areas, as every mom n pop has bleach.

Hot shower feels amazing on itchy ivy rashes you can't physically scratch. Omg feels so good !
View Quote

In the scenario with your foot...what is the bleach to water ratio?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Being one of those lucky enough to be immune.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Swimming, preferably in a public pool where the chlorine levels are high. OTC Ivy Dry (if you can find it anymore) also helps the itch stop so you don't scratch/spread it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Calamine lotion is IMHO the most worthless shit ever, Iv tried it a dozen times and got zero relief each time, it does nothing to stop itching.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paul:
Too late for pre-treatment coverage.

Tec Nu - poison ivy oil removing soap

IvyX - post exposure treatment

Calamine lotion - soothing

Calamine lotion is IMHO the most worthless shit ever, Iv tried it a dozen times and got zero relief each time, it does nothing to stop itching.

I use to think the same thing. Make sure what you buy isn’t expired (2 year unopened shelf life) Calamine lotion which is zinc oxide and iron oxide loses its effectiveness about 6 months once opened. Also you have to shake it to distribute the solids. It’s not a cure all but it does offer some relief.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:
There isn't one. Don't scratch at it and ride it out.
View Quote
Yep.  It sucks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#12]
As a young child staying with my grandparents I got into some poison ivy.  Grandparent mixed up baking soda and vinegar into a poultice consistency and then applied it on my arms.  Three days in a row, by the fourth day all of the blisters were totally dried up and gone.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Tecnu, rhus pills
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Steroid cream from the Dr.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Beltfed308:
Zanfel. As soon as possible and it works fantastic for me.
View Quote

Yep.  It is a miracle cure for me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Poison Ivy pro here

Go to the clinic and get a shot.

All of the over the counter shit sucks.

Bleach on your skin is fucking retarded. Stop that.

Hot water kills the itch for a while. If you can soak the affected area in hot water for a while that is best.

I got it again really bad last fall and since I don't have a primary care doc I tried to ride it out. After a couple days I made an appointment at the doc in a box and got a shot and wished I would have done it sooner.

Currently have a small spot on my forearm. No clue how I got it there and nowhere else as I had long sleeves on all weekend.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By zaskar017:
I really liked her character in the Batman cartoons and games
View Quote

Dawn dish soap, wash, rinse, repeat.

Apply topical antihistamine.

Repeat daily.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By cancard:

What’s your go to remedy to speed up this process?

First time getting it and I’m 53.
View Quote

Use Clorox or Lysol wipes. This is the only thing that works quickly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#19]
As someone who gets poison ivy just by casually glancing at it I'll let you in on a good cure.

Triamcinalone Acetonide.

It's a steroid cream and, if applied early (before blisters), it will prevent blisters and clear up the rash in 4-7 days.  Get a doc to write a script for it and keep a few tubes around.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By HDS64:

I was the same way, until one day I wasn't, crap eats me up now.
View Quote

Ditto for me.
Never had it as a kid or adult until a year ago - sucked.
Dr gave me some meds that made it much more tolerable but she also left me with this lovely warning - each time you get it it is worse.   Unlike chicken pox or some other tropical the symptoms get worse with each exposure.  

I now dress like the bubble boy when doing yardwork and immediately take a shower afterwards and wash the clothes I was wearing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:45:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Windustsearch] [#21]
I don't know why people always recommend Tecnu in these.  All it will do is maybe help wash the oil off, hot water and soap will do that better.

Tecnu is meant to be a barrier to keep the oil away from your skin, you are supposed to use it prior to exposure.  Sun block can help too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Working to see the doc tomorrow.  It’s not a horrible case, but it’s bad enough.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Skywarp2203:
In before someone says to pee on it.
View Quote

You're supposed to rub a jelly fish on it!
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:47:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#24]
Scratch it up really good and pour bleach on it

It burns like a mofo for 10min. The next day is scabs over and dries up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Poison Ivy dances at party | Batman & Robin
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Wash often with Dawn dishwashing liquid and cool water. Take Prednesone if you have it bad.  Ice Cold saltwater compresses help the itch. Wash your clothes you had on and change your sheets and wash them (hot water)
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Working to see the doc tomorrow.  It’s not a horrible case, but it’s bad enough.
View Quote

@cancard

Specifically tell them you want a shot. It works worlds better than the oral prednisone.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sabrev65:
Wash often with Dawn dishwashing liquid and cool water. Take Prednesone if you have it bad.  Ice Cold saltwater compresses help the itch. Wash your clothes you had on and change your sheets and wash them (hot water)
View Quote

You only need to wash it once. Once you get the oils off they are gone. Use a wash cloth and scrub as if you were scrubbing off axle grease.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MinnFinn:
I got it so bad one time as a kid my eyes swelled shut. Prednisone works wonders.
View Quote

Same exact thing happened to me in kindergarten. Now I can roll around in it naked if I want to and won’t have a reaction.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Calamine lotion and don't scratch it. If it itches really bad you can get some tissue in your hand and repeatedly pat the area with it to reduce itching without causing it to spread.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Prednisone. I usually get some sort of plant based skin rash annually and a Prednisone taper is my go to.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Poison Ivy (Version 1/Mono)
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs Poison Ivy 1964
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 917-30:
Calamine lotion and don't scratch it. If it itches really bad you can get some tissue in your hand and repeatedly pat the area with it to reduce itching without causing it to spread.
View Quote
It isn't gonna spread unless you haven't gotten rid of all the oil and you spread it around.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I have four-legged prophylaxis for that. I've the multiflora road is gone, the goats' next target is poison ivy. The trick is not to touch them bare handed though
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SS65:
This. Or a trip to the ocean. Jump in and scratch all you want. Always worked for me when I was a kid.
View Quote
Absolutely !
Salt water and scratch it all off .
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Furloaf:
Being one of those lucky enough to be immune.
View Quote
The more you come in contact with it the more likely you are to become allergic .
stupid fuckin' plant
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Brake clean (no joke)
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By eac223:
Brake clean (no joke)
View Quote

Go on.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Cortisone shot clears it right up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:00:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cancard] [#42]
Originally Posted By adam_p:

@cancard

Specifically tell them you want a shot. It works worlds better than the oral prednisone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By adam_p:

@cancard

Dr called me in a prednisone pack (oral).  Trying to get an appointment tomorrow for a shot. Got other issues.  Getting old sucks I tell ya what.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:07:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trod7308] [#43]
After you know you’re exposed.  Clean everything with alcohol. Including your body.  I put alcohol in a spray bottle and clean off my shovels, chainsaws, gas cans etc.  if you don’t clean it off of everything, the urushiol can live on surfaces for basically EVER.   (I know this from experience as I did yard work once without ever going in the weeds, got poison ivy.

Once you’re in the shower, scratch it all open until it’s bleeding/oozing.  I would rinse off for a while after this and let it keep oozing.  Then, use Dawn dish soap and tecnu simultaneously. Lather it up reallly good. Urushiol is the same consistency as motor oil so won’t come offf with just water.  If you don’t get it off your body it will rub off on whatever you touch. Which bring me to my next step:change your bedding every night for the first few nights if not longer.

This year I skipped the prednisone route and followed these steps, poison icy was gone in less than a week.

Edit:  I had poison ivy last year for 2.5 months straight I believe it was from the prednisone oral pack not being powerful enough. That was a fun time.

We had a tornado come through and a lot of tress on the fence line fell and were covered with ivy. I straight up threw away the clothing I was wearing.

I usually wash all my exposed clothing twice with Dawn dish soap as the detergent.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By daytec113:
always heard  Clorox. Be brave.
View Quote

This!  Nice and strong bleach on it.  I can think about it and get a bad rash, thanks alot OP
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:27:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Monkeypower] [#46]
Exposure to poison ivy can be acumulative. You might have been immune when you were younger,but the more times you are exposed to it the better the chance of getting the rash.
If you do get it take benadryl and go to the Dr for the shot. Makes getting rid of it fast.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#47]
It's an oil you have to get off the skin, combine special soap available at the drugstore with vigorous scrubbing with a washcloth.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By weapons_free:

dammit i probably got poison ivy reading this thread. better stop at doc in the box after work
View Quote

Until you have had it on your dick, balls, and crack of your ass, you don't know the misery it causes. I had poison ivy and sumac at the same time as a kid. From my scalp to my toes I was covered. There was no shot back then, I laid in front of a fan for over a week, trying not to get hot. Soaked my hands/arms in clorox, it worked. Dont know if it was safe but it dried it up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Time and zanfel

In the future,  use a wash rag and cold water after you have been exposed.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:01:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flysc] [#50]
Just ride it out if blistered already. I get pretty badly, but a friend who gets it worse advised me years ago....if you think you've been exposed, lather the whole both in a cool shower with Dawn dish detergent, rinse. Repeat with a warm shower. Wash anything you suspect might have the tar on it.

That is what I've done for 20 years. So far, my outbreaks have been minimal. (Knocking on wood right now)
Page / 4
Poison Ivy (Page 2 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top