Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kilroytheknifesnob:

Because when the housing market blew up in 2008, the government protected the wealthy from losses. So if capitalism doesn’t apply then, why should it now?
View Quote

I owned rentals at that time.  My equity plunged.  The govt. didn't protect me from sh*t, and I didn't ask to be protected.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

You're avoiding the question.  How does an owner of an apartment complex occupy all 50 units?
View Quote
The question was about starter homes and so was my response.

Apartments is another category of housing.

Limitations should exist on this too unless the goal is to leave a pathway for the extremely wealthy to pool their wealth and resources together and own all housing and the citizens own nothing, eat the bugs, etc..
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Isenhelm:

Limitations should exist on this too unless the goal is to leave a pathway for the extremely wealthy to pool their wealth and resources together and own all housing and the citizens own nothing, eat the bugs, etc..
View Quote

You sound like a commie.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
Any corporation that owns more than 5 single family homes and isn’t headquartered in the same city as those homes should be taxed so heavily that their taxes construct an equivalent number of new single family homes per year.
View Quote

This.

Multi-billion dollar entities like blackrock have no business buying up single family homes by outbidding actual families, that’s done purely to fuck up and market, bring the section 8 ghettos out into the suburbs, and keep folks from being able to own their home. It’s BS.

The purpose of gov’t involvement in economics is purely to keep a level playing field. You don’t let 6’4” 280 pound professional football players run wild against the peewee league.

Y’all are happy to gripe about megacorps like walmart and amazon forcing out all the small mom and pop stores, but whenever someone suggests protecting one of the more important markets from the same crony bullshit, you all whine “Durr, yer a commie for not wanting these giant megacorps to own everything and everyone! Free market, bruh!”

How the fuck is it a free market when one is propped up by a near-bottomless war chest consisting of our tax dollars, dirty money from crooked politicians, and fuckloads of rich cockfags looking to create a neofeudalist society? Just one of those outfits has more money to throw away than the entire population of a mid-sized state.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of times when they buy them in nice areas they will tear them down and rebuild there .

There is not a big market for older starter homes . They want the location not the older smaller homes .
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not wrong for them.  But there should be some regulation of it IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#7]
As much as it pains me to say it, SC doesn't have this problem because they give homeowners such a big property tax credit that landlording is a terrible business.

The Fed makes the whole system unethical. Every step of the way since its creation it's gotten more so, and everyone swallows it because the people who are smart enough to recognize it are smart enough to profit from it.

Before Covid, it was the financial crisis, TARP, QE, deficits. The game always involved getting between the money spigot and the people.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it ethically wrong to profit?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Interesting.    You are quite literarily promoting communist ideology.  

If an investor buys new houses as rental properties, that stimulates the building of more houses.   More houses on the market, means prices go down.  Supply and Demand.      Facts, not feelings.

The huge surge in pricing is due to
1. Very low interest rates.  They should have Never been that low.    
2. Inflation (Dollar devaluation).  
3. Rules and regulations which limit land development and make Everything more expensive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BMGisbetter:
Discuss

I think it's bad for society and bad for anyone but a hedge firm.

If they wanna invest  buy as many stocks and bonds as they like because you can't live in a stock portfolio.

If an investor buys new houses as rental properties, that stimulates the building of more houses.   More houses on the market, means prices go down.  Supply and Demand.      Facts, not feelings.

3. Rules and regulations which limit land development and make Everything more expensive.

5. Global investment firms that aren't concerned with purchase price for a multi generation rental property. Resulting in driving up both the real estate and rental markets.

Leaving out facts is feelings.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#10]

You sound like a commie.
View Quote
Individual people owning their homes, their homes being their private property is now a communist ideal?

Corporate entities, global land lords should own the property and the citizens should be renter, landless peasants in their home nations? This is freedom?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Nicodemus7:

5. Global investment firms that aren't concerned with purchase price for a multi generation rental property. Resulting in driving up both the real estate and rental markets.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nicodemus7:
Discuss

If they wanna invest  buy as many stocks and bonds as they like because you can't live in a stock portfolio.

How are they “not concerned with purchase price”?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah I think it's wrong
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Ethically, yeah it's wrong. People seem to be confusing economic systems with morality in this thread. Even if you think it should be legal, it's still the kind of shyster shit that would punch your ticket to hell.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Because when the housing market blew up in 2008, the government protected the wealthy from losses. So if capitalism doesn’t apply then, why should it now?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paul:
Why would government want to restrict who can buy a home in a free country except to create housing crisis and higher costs?

Yep.  Pro capitalism when others are paying.  Bail me out Gov't when they are losing.  

The market isn't free.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh no, that might mean there could be complexity.. fuck it better just have land barons then.
View All Quotes

How does the owner of an apartment bldg. occupy all 50 units?
Oh no, that might mean there could be complexity.. fuck it better just have land barons then.

You should never call anyone an idiot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:

Except it's NOT a free market.   The money being used is in part or in whole stolen from the American people via the fed.

If the banker in monopoly is stealing money and using it to buy homes to rent to you,  or loaning you the money they stole at interest.... that IS NOT a free market.
View Quote
Sure Seems wrong and is hurting a lot of us......
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#17]
It's a bit scumbagish
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#18]
L O L; so what if a publicly traded property management company built a subdivision of rental homes. Would you have a problem with that OP?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#19]
We don't have a full-on "free market" for the same reasons we live in a constitutional republic instead of a straight democracy: the population would find a way to fuck each other over.

The problem is full-time politicians creating bureaucracies that over-regulate everything.  The founders didn't envision full-time politicking.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

You're avoiding the question.  How does an owner of an apartment complex occupy all 50 units?

No, the citizens own stock in those companies that own those properties.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By switchtanks:
" you will own nothing and be happy"

- Klaus Schwab

Did you really think they were kidding?
View Quote
This guy understands what this is all about. Eliminate the freedom and security of home ownership. Turn everyone into perpetual renters. Destroy the middle class.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#22]
How is them buying properties to rent any different than an individual buying properties for rentals?  How many rental properties am I allowed to own before you guys would tell me I can't buy anymore?  Sounds like some butthurt to me.

I say if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  Pile your money into REITs.  Own a piece of the mall, the target shopping center, the ghetto apartments up the road, and all the houses they're overpaying for around the neighborhood.

My only beef with these investment companies is they keep buying houses and then immediately paint them white.  WTF is that.  Even the brick houses, they hire a mexican who comes out blasting mariachi music and whitewashes the whole house.  It looks dumb as fuck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#23]
How many landlords lost their property when the government told the tenants they didn't have to pay rent? How many of those foreclosed properties were then bought up by the big money players? They used covid in more ways than one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s an interesting discussion.   I concede that Something is definitely wrong with the current situation regarding pricing / home ownership.   If I didn’t already own a home and / or have a good job, I’d be storming the Bastille by now.    I apologize for calling OP a Commie.       G’night yall.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#25]
So basically some company decides to buy all the available housing/apartments in an area and then rent them to the .gov for above market rates for undocumented migrants to occupy, paid for by taxpayers, and then kickback a % into one party's campaign contributions to further things along?

Is that where we're going?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Colt1860:
The market will just create more land.
View Quote

Lol.

Underrated response. Nicely done.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, it's sleazy, because they can afford to buy it up and hold it, and people need places to live no matter what.

Not sure what the fix would be, but it is shitty.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Laissez faire capitalism leads to monopolies. It just does.

I don’t know what the answer is. Maybe nobody does. How do you trust fallible people to govern others..or themselves?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Discuss

View Quote
Yes. Next question.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:56:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MouseBoy] [#30]
1) Kinda tax the fuck out of home ownership under a common entity or commonly controlled entities by taxing the FUCK on ownership over 1.  

2) Now really tax the FUCK on ownership over 2.

3) Now ungodly tax the FUCK on ownership over 3.

Limited to SFR, condos and 4 units and less.

4) Make sure ALL VRBO and Airbnb income is taxed Federally, by the State and with a little special love from your local assessor/gov

Lower all other taxes by the amounts of the above incremental tax revenue.

Housing crisis solved.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By xerxes2695:

I don’t know what the answer is. Maybe nobody does. How do you trust fallible people to govern others..or themselves?
View Quote

adam smith did.  he pointed out that completely free markets would lead to oligopoly ("combinations" was his term) in the absence of two forms of natural regulation.  the first form is external regulation: the invisible hand of price.  the other is internal regulation: the individual, moral decision not to profiteer at the expense of everyone else.  

yes, you read that right - the father of capitalism said that price gouging would result in the collapse of the whole system.  please do not take my word for it - read smith.

if both forms of natural regulation are not present, then a market can only survive if it is governed by an authority.  here in the US, we have the worst possible form of government except for all the others.  it'll be messy, and the idealogues will never be satisfied, but that's the cost of doing business.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MouseBoy:
1) Kinda tax the fuck out of home ownership under a common entity or commonly controlled entities by taxing the FUCK on ownership over 1.  

2) Now really tax the FUCK on ownership over 2.

3) Now ungodly tax the FUCK on ownership over 3.

Limited to SFR, condos and 4 units and less.

4) Make sure ALL VRBO and Airbnb income is taxed Federally, by the State and with a little special love from your local assessor/gov

Housing crisis solved.

View Quote

Who gets all that tax money,  the poors?
Lol
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

How does the owner of an apartment bldg. occupy all 50 units?

Seems a bit non sequitur and sort of interjected between Lou and I or others attempting to argue the topic.

The only mention of idiot was "useful idiot" in a post that was not quoting or directed at anyone here.
A carry on to an assertion of one evil being equal to others and it similarly having "useful idiots" which seems reasonable and probable.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I agree with OP.   The people doing this should be shamed publicly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:05:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mmorohpmoly] [#35]
Don't be poor? Then you can buy many houses and rent them? Build wealth off people who can't/don't want to buy? Have a nice ROI?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By catrepair:

Who gets all that tax money,  the poors?
Lol
View Quote

No, lower all other taxes
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Is it bad for people to:

1 - have too much money?
2 - have a house that is too big?
3 - have a farm/ranch that is too big?
4 - have a big boat?

Where does this line of thinking stop???  
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Elijah1:
Why would you limit the free markets?
View Quote

The capitalist will sell you the rope you hang him with.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Strange how many Communist are on AR15.com
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By sirensong:

adam smith did.  he pointed out that completely free markets would lead to oligopoly ("combinations" was his term) in the absence of two forms of natural regulation.  the first form is external regulation: the invisible hand of price.  the other is internal regulation: the individual, moral decision not to profiteer at the expense of everyone else.  

yes, you read that right - the father of capitalism said that price gouging would result in the collapse of the whole system.  please do not take my word for it - read smith.

if both forms of natural regulation are not present, then a market can only survive if it is governed by an authority.  here in the US, we have the worst possible form of government except for all the others.  it'll be messy, and the idealogues will never be satisfied, but that's the cost of doing business.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sirensong:

If we’re relying on the individual moral decision to hold our republic together, I’m afraid this isn’t going to work.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#41]
It is not inherently unethical. One could theoretically own any number of properties and manage them ethically. But as that scale increases, so does the likelihood that the owner will manage the properties unethically.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By feudist:
"Ethical"?

The Tech sector supports Chinese slavery.

The Oil sector funds White Slavery in Arabia.

The Textile sector supports Child Slavery.

The Entertainment Sector is a Pedophile marketplace.

The only correct question is "what is the profitability?"

View Quote
Doesn't make it right or ethical.  These are the same people pushing ESG and Dei on us.  Always talking about "we ca do batter." and about what's fair.  Alinsky them and make them live up to their own values.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Fortunately, Congress has the power to regulate interstate commerce, so if they want to ban a national corporation from owning single-family homes, they can do so, and the pro-constitution crowd will accept it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Mojo_Jojo:
Is it bad for people to:

1 - have too much money?
2 - have a house that is too big?
3 - have a farm/ranch that is too big?
4 - have a big boat?

Where does this line of thinking stop???  
View Quote
I think it begins and ends with investment firms whaling the resell market of a basic need. I'm not sure where your whataboutism is coming from. I doubt anybody would be alright with them doing it to food and water, but doing it with shelter suddenly causes a lot of arguments in favor of it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#45]
If we’re relying on the individual moral decision to hold our republic together, I’m afraid this isn’t going to work.
View Quote

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#46]

If we're relying on the individual moral decision to hold our republic together, I'm afraid this isn't going to work.

View Quote

John Adams said, "Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." Morality and virtue are the foundation of our republic and necessary for a society to be free.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
Strange how many Communist are on AR15.com
View Quote

Government owns all property, and citizens must rent from them is bad.

Company owns all property, and citizens must rent from them is good?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By thesquidliest:
We don't have a full-on "free market" for the same reasons we live in a constitutional republic instead of a straight democracy: the population would find a way to fuck each other over.

The problem is full-time politicians creating bureaucracies that over-regulate everything.  The founders didn't envision full-time politicking.
View Quote

Clearly the solution is more regulations.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Interesting.    

View Quote

It most certainly does NOT stimulate the building of more houses. See zoning laws, construction costs, etc. You don't have all the facts. See California for an extreme example of how housing prices and demand do NOTHING to stimulate increases in inventory, because it is just not a free market.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:14:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#50]
not 1000

but when hedge funds buy millions of homes and conspire to control the market to charge higher rent, YES!

there is capitalism, free trade, supply and demand, but this is none of those.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top