Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:04:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Krauss:
Okay also because I’m just throwing shit at the wall here. What about Marathon watches, I know I’m in an entire different relm here but I’m really liking the look of their GSAR
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346339/IMG_3603_jpeg-3313425.JPG
View Quote

I like mine. Bought it to celebrate my escape from Reno. I wanted either a GSAR or a Superocean. I asked around the local shops for both and none were available. Then the day before I left I get a call that a GSAR has just been traded in.

It's been lucky for me. That said, it has an undeniable brutalist aesthetic to it and I find that I wear a Nomos Tetra homage more often than the GSAR.

Taste in watches is a very subjective and involved thing. I prefer simple white dials to busy black dials. If I were going to get another GSAR I would definitely get a white dial one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my Navitimer

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
My choice would be the Omega but I am biased.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By -CUJO-:
Spend just a little bit more and fly under the radar. . . Those who know, know.  This was back when they designed and manufactured over-engineered tool watches.  42mm:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309803/IMG_0217_jpeg-3313464.JPG

This one is well within your budget but might be a bit small for you at 39mm.  It seems like you want a 42mm+.  Pre-Richemont FTW:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309803/IMG_6295_jpeg-3313469.JPG

View Quote

I actually have a smaller wrist for 38-42 is really perfect for me. 44 almost seems too big.

I’ll def have to check them out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:13:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krauss] [#5]
So now I’m searching around and I just bought a Hamiton khaki automatic with a bracelet for $555

I’m going to go look at some omegas tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]
So now I’m searching around and I just bought a Hamiton khaki automatic with a bracelet for $555

View Quote

I have a number of Hamiltons and they are great.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

That’s what I’m reading. I’ve also liked them, never bought one. Bought it from joma shop so hopefully all good. Never ordered from them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Agilt:
I'd rather have the Omega over the Breitling in those flavors.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the superocean 42 white dial/blue rubber strap that I got for a summer beater.  I like it and that it’s original looking, referencing the old chrono dive watch they made in 60s.  It wears smaller than my Batman honestly, wish I’d tried on a 44 and I usually want 42 or under for dive watches.  

You can’t go wrong w a Seamaster, but they are very common.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm half tempted to move this one along to pay for more suppressors.  Still kind of half want a Tudor North Flag, but my Aqua Terra, 2254.50 and Pelagos get the most wrist time so it's probably best to start buying more suppressors and thermal instead.

Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Unpopular opinions incoming:

Seamaster case/dial look great in all colors, and I love the transparent case back…..but I prefer bracelets and the default bracelet is the most hideous bracelet on the market since the 90’s Tags, I’d get a model with the mesh bracelet.

Omegas are also very common,
I see nearly as many Seamasters in the wild as Submariners.

Tudors are ugly, plain and simple, especially the titanium ones.  The ones that aren’t, are too small - 39mm is TINY.

The new Superocean is growing on me, but still prefer the old ones or the Heritage models.

I’d pick a Breitling Avenger or Chronomaster with the B01 movement, though not true divers watches.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Seamaster. No question.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:12:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BB] [#15]
I’d rather have the Omega seamaster specifically with the master chronometer movement.

If you want a less expensive reliable dive watch look at SCURFA. Paul makes a rock solid watch.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Between those two, go Omega.

Also check out Tudor for a similar price range.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By oscardeuce:
I like my Navitimer

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/307202/IMG_4061_jpeg-3313474.JPG
View Quote

Nice watch!
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Seamaster on the rubber strap. Breitlings don't do anything for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#19]
You will not be disappointed in Omega (I have two), but since you're looking you should check out some of the less popular but "IYKYK" watches like IWC, Zenith, JLC, and Grand Seiko.

Happy Hunting. Your dark journey begins when you realize that the watch you really want hasn't been made in 15 years and you start recognizing WUS screen names....
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the Breitling, I have the Superocean Heritage with about half a dozen different straps.

Come to the sketchy side.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By opnblstr:
The Omega Co-Axial movement is REALLY REALLY good.  They are all very accurate for autos and tough as nails.
View Quote

My wife broke the main spring twice in her 36mm Seamaster. My Seamaster chrono is old enough to have the Valjoux 7750 in it. Other than finally needing servicing, its been a beast.

Twenty years ago I would have brought a Breitling, it was at the top of my list. Now, they seem to chase fads to much.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m open to other recommendations as well.
View Quote

Have you looked at Tudor’s Black Bay offerings?
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought myself a super ocean, it's obnoxious with its yellow face, and black rubber dive band. I love it, but I don't wear it everyday. Plus I got a bro deal.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Okay also because I’m just throwing shit at the wall here. What about Marathon watches, I know I’m in an entire different relm here but I’m really liking the look of their GSAR
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346339/IMG_3603_jpeg-3313425.JPG
View Quote

They are solid watches.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 10:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mall-Ninja] [#25]
I’d buy the Omega over the Breitling.

I’m sure that they’re probably even when it comes to mechanical quality, but I’ve just never been a fan of Breitling’s looks. Too gaudy in my opinion.

A Panerai is a bold statement, but a Breitling screams obnoxiously.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 10:16:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#26]
Originally Posted By hatidua:
Simple/boring never goes out of style.  I don't own any Omega watches but if I was looking at the two brands in the OP, I'd give this one consideration:

https://markpix.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/09/omega-seamaster-300-co-axial-master-chronometer-41-mm-23432412101001-e4e87d.png.avif
View Quote

This is correct answer BUT with the blue dial.
Love mine…
https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-300-co-axial-master-chronometer-41-mm-23430412103001
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#27]
You can’t go wrong with a Rolex.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/4/2024 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#28]

My man!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Of the two the Omega is an easy choice over the B’ling.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm saving for a Bremont ALT1-P2 Jet.

Of those (2) I would get the Omega.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Omega
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Of those two, Omega SMP would be my choice. Probably in blue.

Best watch I’ve owned is the Tudor BB58. I am a no-date guy if possible. Great daily wearer.

I would also look at the Pelagos 39mm if I were looking right now.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Spend just a little bit more and fly under the radar. . . Those who know, know.  This was back when they designed and manufactured over-engineered tool watches.  42mm:

This one is well within your budget but might be a bit small for you at 39mm.  It seems like you want a 42mm+.  Pre-Richemont FTW:

View Quote

I’m a big fan of IWC watches.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

That very much that

Or go a bit for a lesser known brand

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ctnsupra1:
I like the Breitling, I have the Superocean Heritage with about half a dozen different straps.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/75361/IMG_2030_jpeg-3313582.JPG
View Quote

i have that exact same watch -- mine has the original 'mesh' factory stainless steel bracelet.  i like it very much.

my wife and i got 'matching' Breitlings about 15 years ago -- at that time they also made a 38mm version of that Superocean Heritage (mine is the 42mm).

she wears her's more -- and she gets compliments all the time at work about it.

to the OP -- its really just a preference thing -- what draws you in

personally -- i was walking around the mall one day and passed by an upscale jewelry place and they had all the expensive watches on display.  the Bretlings just REALLY caught my eye.

Breitling does have a bunch of 'bling-y' watches i am not a fan of -- but the Superoceans are classic IMO.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:18:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miles_Urbanus] [#36]
I wanted to be a ARFCom watch dude real bad then I found out it costs thousands of dollars. So I got Japanese made Seiko Prospex for $300. Close enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Among those I'd go Omega.  That said I sold my 2254.50, it was too small on my large arm/hand/frame.  I prefer a watch at least 43-45mm.  Man if they had made that same watch in like 44mm I'd never let it go.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jwnc:
Seamaster, all day long.

I looked at everything and decided on a Citizen Promaster Diver.  It's Ecodrive (quartz) so never needs an autowinder or battery replaced.  One second a month vs five seconds a day accuracy.  I also wanted 44mm or so in titanium as I like lighter watches and Omega didn't have much to offer that I liked.  I liked the Citizen so much that I bought a second one in blue.  The only issue with them has been a very hard to turn bezel.

All that being said, I was close to buying a smaller steel Seamaster several times.
View Quote

After I sold my Omega I got a Citizen Promaster in blue.  Actually shopping the black ones now I like it so much.  Looks good, dirt cheap, runs forever.  What's not to like.  As I get older I kind of prefer non-auto watches since they're just easier and keep closer time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:
I wanted to be a ARFCom watch dude real bad then I found out it costs thousands of dollars.
View Quote

That made me lol!
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

i have that exact same watch -- mine has the original 'mesh' factory stainless steel bracelet.  i like it very much.

my wife and i got 'matching' Breitlings about 15 years ago -- at that time they also made a 38mm version of that Superocean Heritage (mine is the 42mm).

she wears her's more -- and she gets compliments all the time at work about it.

to the OP -- its really just a preference thing -- what draws you in

personally -- i was walking around the mall one day and passed by an upscale jewelry place and they had all the expensive watches on display.  the Bretlings just REALLY caught my eye.

Breitling does have a bunch of 'bling-y' watches i am not a fan of -- but the Superoceans are classic IMO.
View Quote

You’re a man of excellent taste
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Definitely the Omega but what do I know? I have a sock drawer full of old Seikos.  =}
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:38:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: astrocreep96] [#43]
Originally Posted By ctnsupra1:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/75361/IMG_2030_jpeg-3313582.JPG
View Quote

That is a good looking watch.  I like the old Chronomats, and the Navitimer.

Many current Breitlings are kind of fugly.

I would vote for a Seamaster or Planet Ocean, given the OP's other option.  I'd also look at Sinn & Tudor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By wptemple:

Omega is a diving watch company.  

View Quote

Really?

Really???

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:06:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#45]

At the NASA museum in Houston all of the spacesuits on display have Omega watches.

Its odd to see that many Speedmasters anywhere outside a very high end jewelry store. But I suppose they are far from the priciest things there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By 5thLegion:
Of those two, Omega SMP would be my choice. Probably in blue.

Best watch I’ve owned is the Tudor BB58. I am a no-date guy if possible. Great daily wearer.

I would also look at the Pelagos 39mm if I were looking right now.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112468/IMG_2676_jpeg-3313752.JPG

View Quote

I’ve already mentioned it in this thread but the Tudor Black Bay 58 is a great watch!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#47]
With the exception of the Speedy, I believe I am the only person that doesn't like Omega. Well made, good watches, but ass ugly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:28:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARDunstan] [#48]
Originally Posted By IDidThat:
With the exception of the Speedy, I believe I am the only person that doesn't like Omega. Well made, good watches, but ass ugly.
View Quote

Even this one?

Sword hands FTMW!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:31:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: triburst1] [#49]
Originally Posted By IDidThat:
View Quote

I completely agree. I like their vintage watches but a lot of the modern dive watches look like they’re trying too hard.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#50]
settled on a Breitling A13340 for yacht racing. it is a little thicker than I would like but works flawless an the customer service is fantastic.

IWC IW376804 would be second choice and then an Omega Seamaster diver.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top