Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:35:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

No, if one gun will unintentionally discharge in a situation where another will not, it is an inferior design.  Plain and simple.
View Quote

Horse shit.

It's a gun handler problem.

SCDs are for people who don't have gun handling skills.

Back to the topic, the 19 has been overrated for quite a while now.

There are multiple better options.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By joe_sun:
IMO the MP 2.0 compact is the best Glock 19
View Quote

The 3.6” Compact is a great size. As long as you don’t want a WML. Longer grip than a G26 but shorter slide than a G19. Less stabby in the ballz zone.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By sandblaster:
I like the 19x best
View Quote

For people with man sized hands, this is the way.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

Horse shit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

No, if one gun will unintentionally discharge in a situation where another will not, it is an inferior design.  Plain and simple.

Horse shit.

When you consider price, parts availability, parts pricing and ease of servicing I’m curious what pistol is “better”.

For example a Glock extractor replacement cost about $20, requires no tools, no tuning, no fixtures/armorers blocks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MVolkJ] [#5]
The G19 sits in an odd place these days. It's too big to be a real compact - things like the G43, P365, and Hellcat do that better - and it's too small to be a full-size.

It's a perfectly good gun, but it sits in a size/form-factor space that doesn't have a lot of relevance any longer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:
The G19 sits in an odd place these days. It's too big to be a real compact - things like the G43, P365, and Hellcat do that better - and it's too small to be a full-size.

It's a perfectly good gun, but it sits in a size/form-factor space that doesn't have a lot of relevance any longer.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

If you're looking to conceal carry then a G43X or G48 with PSA or shield mags makes more sense. If you're looking for a home defense or "duty" type gun with light and such then G19X, 17 or 34 make more sense. I'm always perplexed when people post pictures of their 19 with extended mag and light that make it bigger than a G17
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Glock 23 is what you meant.

Shoot 9mm, .40 S&W and .357 Sig all from one gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

That's one way to phrase it - or you could say it's easier to conceal than a full-size and easier to shoot than a compact, giving you the best of both worlds in one gun.

The G19 has always been a goldilocks gun that straddles the boundary between full-size and compact, which is precisely why it has been so successful. It remains very relevant because every other brand has fallen into the same trap that you have and think that a gun either needs to be massive or tiny with no room in between.

The new generation of compacts are getting closer to the G19 in size, which has made them more relevant, but a super slim gun will never shoot as well as a G19 (and trying to keep guns slim while increasing capacity is resulting in some "compacts" that are taller than a G19, which is just weird).
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Tallahasseezz:

If you're looking to conceal carry then a G43X or G48 with PSA or shield mags makes more sense. If you're looking for a home defense or "duty" type gun with light and such then G19X, 17 or 34 make more sense. I'm always perplexed when people post pictures of their 19 with extended mag and light that make it bigger than a G17
View Quote

Because it's a one gun solution. I can conceal a G19 perfectly easily with a flush mag, and then I can slap an extended mag in it have the same firepower as a full-size.

Much better than doing the "carry rotation" thing where you have to match you gun with your purse and shoes for the day and split your training across multiple platforms.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Glock reps have taken high level LEOs and/or local government bureaucrats involved in procurement to strip bars.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
I subjectively don’t like Glocks.

Objectively, the G19 is as close to the ideal handgun you can get.
View Quote

I subjectively dislike them as well but recognize they are excellent. Or at least the 9mm versions are.

I predict they will make an optional grip with a more traditional grip angle and an optional thumb safety in the future. They have to do something like that to justify a Gen 6, Gen 7, etc.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Best? No.

It’s the simplest. The design is as utilitarian as can be.

Vp70 was the first polymer 9mm. But it was HK, it had a DAO staple gun trigger, and was designed to integrate with a stock that made it a burst-fire machinepistol. Also, it had that eurofag heel mag release, didn’t help.

The P99 was objectively a better pistol, being more ambidextrous, DA/SA, and possessing nearly unrivaled ergonomics. They’re still hard to beat in that regard, to this day.

But Glock was on the scene first, and aggressively marketed their cheaply-made pistol to LE departments, practically giving them away. Turned out they worked pretty well, and Glock gained enough institutional inertia to beat out the better design. Being cheaper, and not gaggle-fucked by S&W probably helped a lot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my G19s, a Gen 3 and a gen 5, but the recent acquisition of a SIG P365 X Macro has changed the CCW game for me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#16]
It’s a perfectly serviceable useable pistol that will do what it needs to when asked of it. Lately I’ve been running a hi power.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:50:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drebin7] [#17]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
I don't recall who posted this, but here's why:

"The G19 size/performance envelope is where a lot of lines cross for a lot of people.
- The same sight radius as a 4" K-frame.
- 16 shots/30 oz
- Excellent and controllable and deliverable accuracy across the entire pistol caliber range and down to .14 splits with basic technique.
- As close to perfectly reliable as a man-made machine can be, proven across decades, millions of users and hundreds of millions of rounds.
- The simplest and most trouble free design, detail stripped with an ink pen.
- Weatherproof.
- Tolerant of abuse, indifferent maintenance and poor to no lubrication.
- Rounded and smooth edges.
- An ecosystem of parts, accessories and holsters developed across 40 years.

From inception, Glock has pissed people off because of their "Perfection" marketing slogan, the very idea of a polymer frame ("They weren't first!" screeches HK), the not-a-1911 trigger, grip angle, plastic sights, LE sales ploys (ruthless, pseudo-ethical and brutally effective), lack of innovation and every other possible criticism that can be dreamed up by devotees of other brands - and still everything is trumpeted as "The Glock Killer".
It is The Standard to beat.

Smaller guns struggle to do what it can, and larger guns are simply larger.

Completely devoid of romance or cachet. A gun that makes no statement about its user.

A soulless killing machine."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113559/IMG_7227_jpeg-3313882.JPG
View Quote

This is all correct. No other pistols match this combination of qualities. I will admit there are other pistols that approach these qualities within in their own niches.  

The P01 is the G19 of aluminum framed / DA / hammer pistols.

The compact Staccatos are the G19s of SA / 1911 pistols.

The P365 is the G19 of micro 9s.

USP is the G19 of 45 DA/SA.

The G19 is the G19 of pistols overall.

I'd argue that the Glock 19/17 has romance and cachet. They're the most famous pistols in the modern era. The utilitarian design is has an iconic silhouette. They're everywhere in movies, games, music, rap songs (cause Glock is easy to rhyme), etc. John Wick uses one. Marshal Givens uses one. The Joker used one. Diehard made them famous decades ago. Glock is synonymous with "pistol" and a lot of people refer to pistols as "glocks". Switches are a meme and talked about openly on the TikToks and the like. G19/G17 are popular in video games due to the G18 fame and almost every game has a G18 or G19/17 variant. A large number of the world's militaries and police use them. The US military should have adopted them over the 320 if for no other reason than to more officially enshrine the G17/19 as the modern American sidearm carrying the torch that the Colt SAA and 1911 did in better years past.

For the VP9 are greater than Glock guys: no. I'm an HK fan. The VP9 slide lock lever placement causes it to almost never lock back for me even going out of my way to consciously modify my grip. The trigger/trigger guard trough is some how perfectly shaped to pinch and rub my finger raw and I'm not the only one. I'd put the VP9 in the G17 full size service pistol category since it's more comparable in size and weight and it comes with 17 round magazines from the factory. My VP9 has not been as reliable as my Glock(s), and they don't seem to fair as well as Glocks or other pistols in torture tests. They're not nearly as intuitive to disassemble with more tiny moving parts than Glocks. The sear / trigger bar interface is ridiculous and probably prone to failure, parts wear, or tolerance stacking issues due to how precisely they need to line up. Field strip your VP9 and take a look at what's going on in there when you pull on the trigger. I'm an HK fan and I like the VP9 but if Glock is a Porsche 911, the VP9 is a finicky BMW with weird design issues.

For me, it's the McGlock19.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#18]
P365 carries better and shoots possibly better. Right now it's the king of polymer 9s.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#19]
No plastic gun can be considered the best gun ever made.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Bought my 1st one today and immediately tapcofucked it

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Alembic:
P365 carries better and shoots possibly better. Right now it's the king of polymer 9s.
View Quote

P365 is the G19 of micro 9s even if they are dipped in curry. If Sig continues to develop the macro and larger variants, they could be up there. I haven't shot a macro yet but am curious how the shootability is compared to the G19, 'cause the 365 is a lot more snappy and splits are slower.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:10:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

https://langdontactical.com/glock-striker-control-device-scd/

Looks like it's oos though. It allows you to utilize your thumb like with a hammer fired gun
View Quote

Hmm.  Interesting.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:15:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#23]
Originally Posted By peacematu:
Glock reps have taken high level LEOs and/or local government bureaucrats involved in procurement to strip bars.
View Quote

Awesome
titties, beer, and guns…  sounds ‘Murican AF

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:18:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By rb889:...But Glock was on the scene first, and aggressively marketed their cheaply-made pistol to LE departments, practically giving them away. Turned out they worked pretty well, and Glock gained enough institutional inertia to beat out the better design. Being cheaper, and not gaggle-fucked by S&W probably helped a lot.
View Quote

What do you mean by gaggle-f____?

@rb889
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:18:41 AM EDT
[#25]

I subjectively dislike them as well but recognize they are excellent. Or at least the 9mm versions are.

I predict they will make an optional grip with a more traditional grip angle and an optional thumb safety in the future. They have to do something like that to justify a Gen 6, Gen 7, etc.
View All Quotes
I subjectively don't like Glocks.

If glock released a 17 or 19 sized 9mm with an 1911 grip angle and a manual safety, I'd buy my first factory glock.  The only reason I even have a P80 was the build thread guys were having so much fun and I didn't want to miss out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:54:42 AM EDT
[#26]

If glock released a 17 or 19 sized 9mm with an 1911 grip angle and a manual safety, I'd buy my first factory glock.  The only reason I even have a P80 was the build thread guys were having so much fun and I didn't want to miss out.
View All Quotes
I subjectively don't like Glocks.

Does you P80 run well?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:02:31 AM EDT
[#27]
G19 master-race checking in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:18:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Love the G19
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:49:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I haven't read through the thread yet so forgive me as I'm sure most of these points have already been made many times already.

The Glock 19 is best because:

1. The pistol is so mediocre that you won't care if it gets lost or stolen.

2. You don't need to worry much about aiming because it's a waste of time with such an inaccurate pistol.

3. If you are carrying a Glock 19, the bad guys will shoot at you last because you appear much less competent than the people with decent pistols.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I subjectively don’t like Glocks.

View Quote

Great way to put it.  My thought as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Glock 19 gen 5 MOS is the best blue collar pistol made.
I just put a 4th G19.5 MOS on layaway.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By FilthyCasual:
It's like a hammer, totally a tool, and about as boring to use.

Life is too short to drive a Honda Civic for 40 years, and so is a Glock.

You can lust over it all you like, I'll stick a Staccato CS or C on my hip and eat the 3-4oz more for a gun that makes me feel something inside.
View Quote

Guns are always a subjective subject. It depends what you want in life. My actual favorite vehicle is an old Accord. My favorite carry gun is a Glock (a G27).  I could likely leverage finances to drive a Corvette and have a Staccato in the safe , but i never will. I have zero desire for either.

I know i could hop in the Honda and drive it across country. I also know i could reliably run my whole ammo fort of Fotay and 9mm through my Glocks and they would cycle it all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:
A perfect post.  Should be tacked in the Glock Forum.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:
Well first off it is not the BEST!!!!

Maybe if you have some girly hands, but the fucking grip is TOO short, G45, G19x G17 all more better in the Glock line-up.

View Quote

I'm a fairly large man and my hands require XL gloves. That being said, my favorite defensive carry pistol for like 15 years has been a dinky G27. Finding i shot it more accurately was an accidental discovery after buying a 23 and a 27 years ago. For some strange reason, in my particular case, a "dangling pinky" is an advantage. The baby Glock also disappears when concealed.

My second favorite CC was a Shield Plus. It is also a dink. I only got rid of it because it developed a rusting issue. (Smith needs to get their program together there.) My G27 was manufactured back in the previous millennium and still looks like the day i bought it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:10:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Windustsearch] [#35]
Glock
"Because in a world of compromise, demand nothing short of unparalleled mediocrity."
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Maybe now that the old fart is dead we can get a proper grip angle?
Yea that would require redesigning the mags

But that would also be a chance to get rid of the plastic sheath that only serves to add unneeded thickness to every gun they offer
(Look how shield went from 10 to 15 mostly by just using a metal only mag with more space)
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By deanwormer:
Maybe now that the old fart is dead we can get a proper grip angle?
Yea that would require redesigning the mags

But that would also be a chance to get rid of the plastic sheath that only serves to add unneeded thickness to every gun they offer
(Look how shield went from 10 to 15 mostly by just using a metal only mag with more space)
View Quote

I never cared for the grip until the Gen5. Now I want one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Glock became popular because they were cheap and they ran pretty well.  The G19 rose to the top of the Glock pile because of it's size.

I own one, just because, but carry an H&K P30 because it is just a nicer gun all around, and I enjoy shooting it much more than the Glock.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Still seems extremely successful as full time duty weapon across many agencies, so I'm not sure about that part.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Oh, I forgot that we're supposed to measure 1911 things at the thinnest part and Glock things at the thickest part when making comparisons.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Because it’s not?  Lot of other 9s I’d rather have.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Size and capacity.

For general usage all purposes, can't beat the size package and capacity for carrying, duty, and etc.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

I'm a fairly large man and my hands require XL gloves. That being said, my favorite defensive carry pistol for like 15 years has been a dinky G27. Finding i shot it more accurately was an accidental discovery after buying a 23 and a 27 years ago. For some strange reason, in my particular case, a "dangling pinky" is an advantage. The baby Glock also disappears when concealed.

My second favorite CC was a Shield Plus. It is also a dink. I only got rid of it because it developed a rusting issue. (Smith needs to get their program together there.) My G27 was manufactured back in the previous millennium and still looks like the day i bought it.
View Quote

That dangling pinkey finger drives me nuts, it feels like I do not have a hold of the gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#44]

This post is CNN levels of dishonesty.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Great pistol but less concealable
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DerekL:
Glock 17 is better.
Great pistol but less concealable
Damn hard to conceal under anything but a coat, but I have a Gen 1 G17 that I've been carrying in the cooler months since 1987. Love it. Summer pocket rocket is a P365.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
Glock became popular because they were cheap and they ran pretty well.  The G19 rose to the top of the Glock pile because of it's size.

I own one, just because, but carry an H&K P30 because it is just a nicer gun all around, and I enjoy shooting it much more than the Glock.
View Quote

What do you mean they ran "pretty well"? Like them or not, Glocks just run and run. Their reliability is akin to the AK-47. Plus you have a simple design with no frills, just pull the trigger, which happens to be the same on every shot.

I do agree with your reason on why it rose to the top. At the time in appeared, most pistols with that capacity were larger, so the reason to get one was Why Not? 16 rounds of 9mm in a gun smaller than (almost) anything available.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:28:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#48]

Does you P80 run well?
View Quote

Yes, runs great.  I haven't shot a lot through it, but zero failures through 150 rounds using glock and magpul magazines.  I tried some 3D printed mags and they had a few failures to feed.

Another thing I like about it is the light rail is standard picatinny and not proprietary glock.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By DerekL:
Glock 17 is better.
View Quote

M&P is better
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#50]
To each their own ! While the G19 is a decent pistol
I like my CZP07 better and carry it everyday for yrs. I perfer hammer fired over striker fired firearms.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top